At PAX Australia we had the chance to sit down with John Mamais, the head of CD Projekt Red’s Krakow studio.
Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt Red on Pushing Graphics Tech Forward
We sit down with Mojang to discuss the upcoming action-RPG Minecraft Dungeons, its humble origins, and focus on combat. The Minecraft way.
Delving Into Minecraft Dungeons with Mojang
We take a swing at where Ubisoft could take Far Cry to next, and it's both closer and further away than you might think...
Where to Next for Far Cry?
At a preview event we had the chance to go hands on with the emotional, harrowing, and stunning The Last Of Us Part II – an experience that left us remembering every face and life we put an end to.
The Last of Us Part II Preview – Harrowing and Unforgettable
Post by Eorl @ 10:11am 19/06/13 | 10 Comments
CPU and GPU manufacturer AMD has revealed that upcoming current and next-gen title Battlefield 4 will be seeing performance optimisations for their hardware, thanks to their components also found in the next-gen PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles.
"It makes sense that game developers would focus on AMD hardware with AMD hardware being the backbone of the next console generation. At this time, though, our relationship with DICE and EA is exclusively focused on Battlefield 4 and its performance optimizations for AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs," AMD representatives said.
In a statement to IGN, developer DICE has revealed that while initially rumours suggested that an exclusive partnership had been extended to all DICE titles, both EA and AMD have denied such an exclusivity. AMD has revealed that while optimisations for their hardware will be found in the PC version of Battlefield 4, "the AMD Gaming Evolved program undertakes no efforts to prevent our competition from optimizing for games before their release."

“DICE has a partnership with AMD specifically for Battlefield 4 on PC to showcase and optimize the game for AMD hardware," an EA spokesperson said. "This does not exclude DICE from working with other partners to ensure players have a great experience across a wide set of PCs for all their titles.”

Battlefield 4 will be available for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 end of October and early November, with next-gen consoles dependant on their launch.

battlefield 4diceeaamd
Buy now from ozgameshop.com Only AUD$16.49!

TiT
Posted 10:28am 19/6/13
Interesting move, AMd might get decent driver for a change. It's really the only reson why don't go for AMD
kirkoswald
Posted 01:03pm 19/6/13
Same. Its the sole reason i always choose Nvidia.
Gibsmith
Posted 01:25pm 19/6/13
^ Ahaha was thinking exactly this, "maybe all that extra funding and market share will get them to make a decent driver for once". That being said I've had AMD cards for a while, since my 8800 GTS... Had a sapphire 5770 which was incredible value, but the drivers gave me occasional bluescreens...

I can report of late though the newer driver hasn't caused any problems for me since I upgraded to a 7850, so maybe... Just maybe... we'll get good drivers to come
eXemplar
Posted 04:03pm 19/6/13
It's optimised for AMD because the xboned and ps4 are using AMD chips so this just reads to me as: "BF4 on the PC will be a straight up port from consoles"
WirlWind
Posted 07:39pm 19/6/13
^

Pretty much this.
ravn0s
Posted 09:53pm 19/6/13
judging by the vids at e3, it looks to be the other way.
deadlyf
Posted 11:16pm 19/6/13
I've never understood this attitude despite seeing it spouted quite often. I've owned both nvidia and ATI/AMD cards and I can honestly say between the two the only driver issues I've ever encountered were with nvidia (although I have a feeling the constant driver crashes may have been due to corrupted RAM).

I know it's anecdotal but I haven't had a single issue with my current AMD card, nor have I ever seen anyone posting about any issues regarding drivers apart from people who have apparently never owned an AMD card "because of driver issues".

Pretty sure my next card will be an AMD as well since it's pretty clear we can expect nothing but ports for PC games in the future with console hardware even closer to PC's than before.
WirlWind
Posted 05:01am 20/6/13
Deadly, the last three times I've bought AMD, I've had either:

- Subpar performance in new games that took months to get fixed

- Driver issues (causing BSOD's and freezes on fresh installs of windows)

- Card instability (was a 5770, happened with 2 cards) when in windows environment, causing screen artifacts and crashes

- Sub-par DX11 performance

- Less than ideal overclocking abilities

I was really serious about trying the 5770 card out (this was the last straw) and the first one I got wouldn't last 2 minutes in 2d mode because of instability when it underclocked to 2d mode. I RMA'd the card and got a different brand which did the same thing.

I ended up returning it and getting store credit towards a GTX 480 and never looked back.
eski
Posted 10:02am 20/6/13
I've had some of those driver issues, but by and large the AMD cards have given better FP$ in recent years.
maRtz
Posted 06:04pm 20/6/13
I feel like I'm being punished for having nvidia cards.. So what do they mean by the following:

So they are going to work with other 'partners' but not as much as AMD? Sounds all a bit f*****g stupid to me.

On a side note, my first ever AMD cards were 5970's in xfire and never had any issues.