We've taken LIFX lighting through the gaming and entertainment ringer. Does it amplify the experience?
LIFX x Razer Chroma Connect Review - Illuminating Gaming
Like the Strogg enemies of Quake II, this Frankenstein-like mishmash of old and new breeds killer results.
Quake II RTX - Shining a Light on id Software's Classic
Aussie-made Speaking Simulator is a wild ride in the simulation gaming world, but can it complete its sentence in full?
Tongue in Android Cheek - Speaking Simulator Review!
We sit down with Typhoon Studios’ Alex Hutchinson to talk about the studio’s first game, comedy, co-op, and striving to be the fourth-best.
Journey to the Savage Planet - Developer Interview
Post by Eorl @ 09:33am 13/06/13 | 17 Comments
A new disclaimer has been revealed on the official Xbox One page outlining where exactly Xbox Live will be supported for Microsoft's upcoming next-gen console. Those among the list include US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Russia and a number of European nations. You can find a full list at the official website.

According to the disclaimer, those countries outside of the Xbox Live supported countries will not be able to use their Xbox One games. "Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

Currently it is unclear exactly how Microsoft will be ensuring those outside of the supported countries will be unable to play their games, but hopefully these concerns will be answered before the launch of the console. According to Twitter responses from the Xbox support team (via NeoGAF), those outside of the launch regions "would not have the full experience, and may not work." Another response revealed that the Xbox One will only be available in the announced regions, and those outside would "want to wait until the console is available in their region."

The Xbox One will be launching later this year in November at a price of AUS$599.

xbox onexbox livelaunch

eski
Posted 10:01am 13/6/13

Half of Europe and South America missing, no Africa.

This is pretty crazy.
dazzalus
Posted 10:46am 13/6/13
Wow this Xbone release is like watching a slow motion car cras** Still waiting for the airbag to deploy and save the poor dummy.
Mives
Posted 12:30pm 13/6/13
REALLY early April Fool's joke?
ravn0s
Posted 12:32pm 13/6/13

asia is getting the xbone next year.
TufNuT
Posted 12:54pm 13/6/13
I think they realise that sales of the xbone are going to be terrible and don't want to build up too much inventory.

either way doesn't affect me since I neither live in said asians countries or play consoles.
Posted 12:58pm 13/6/13
Don't console releases always happen in a staggered way though? I don't think any console has ever launched in every country/territory at the same time.
parabol
Posted 01:02pm 13/6/13

To be honest I don't think these DRM, regionalisation, anti-resale, and mandatory kinect requirements will have much impact on sales, since the majority of console owners/purchasers are most likely non-nerds who don't care about any of this stuff. Add a price drop, and even some of the nerds who do care about these issues will scramble out to buy the console.
skythra
Posted 01:55pm 13/6/13
Whoa! No Japan, or any of Asia for that matter?! I know they bombed in that region last gen, but geez.Half of Europe and South America missing, no Africa.This is pretty crazy.

They would have easily sold more xboxes in japan than in australia. Sure they weren't as saturated, but they probably sold a bunch more.

I can't find figures in the same time periods to compare quickly so i'll just leave that statement there for someone else to figure out.
glynd
Posted 01:57pm 13/6/13
What's the situation with the accounts? Can you import an American Xbox and use it in Australia? I'm definitely getting a PS4 but brother is set on sticking with xbox for some reason.
TufNuT
Posted 09:09pm 13/6/13
but brother is set on sticking with xbox for some reason.

fanboy (plural fanboys) (fandom slang) Someone (normally male) who is utterly devoted to a single subject or hobby, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.
Whoop
Posted 09:14pm 13/6/13

Exactly this. As has been proven time and time again you can slap pretty much whatever DRM you want on a game and casual gamers will eat that s*** up. Real gamers are a dying breed.
paveway
Posted 09:21pm 13/6/13
Real gamers are a dying breed.

lol
Whoop
Posted 12:28pm 14/6/13
lol

TEll me then, when was the last game released with customizability in mind? What recent game can you add your own player model or maps? How many games have dedicated server support for lans? Now, how many major titles are in this list.
Mosfx
Posted 12:39pm 14/6/13
I wouldn't say "Real gamers are a dying breed" it's more of a case don't have the time to fluff around with crap lol
I've been playing games since I can remember and gaming is my favorite hobby i'd pick it over anything, these days with work, uni, family etc I just don't have time I just want to play the game enjoy the story and maybe kill some people in Mplayer.

Also in reference to Japan sales vs Australia

Region Units sold First available
Canada 870,000 as of August 1, 2008[100] November 22, 2005
United States 25.4 million as of March 31, 2011[101]
EMEA region
(Europe, Middle East and Africa) 13.7 million as of March 31, 2011[101]
(Includes UK sales) December 2, 2005
United Kingdom 8 million as of February 14, 2013[102]
Japan 1.5 million as of June 17, 2011[103] December 10, 2005
Australia & New Zealand 1 million as of April 19, 2010[104] March 23, 2006
Worldwide 77.2 million as of March 31, 2013[105] (more...)

Posted 12:44pm 14/6/13
I dunno, I enjoyed the old days as well, but more and more this b****ing about how games aren't like they used to be just sounds like cranky old man 'back in my day, things were better' rants. Things change, and those days are gone no matter how much some people might want them back, they're just not coming back. I made my peace with that a while ago, and now I just enjoy the games we have today instead of telling those darn kids to get off my lawn.
greazy
Posted 01:07pm 14/6/13

We're talking about consoles here which afaik never had any or all of those things. I still dream of those days but I think not because of the games themselves but the experienced attached to them.

I remember playing RTCW with a bunch awesome turds like Existence at QGL LAN in a comp. That was intense s***. I miss the days of being so into a game that I forget it's 1am and tomorrow I have school.
Nerf Lord