At PAX Australia we had the chance to sit down with John Mamais, the head of CD Projekt Red’s Krakow studio.
Cyberpunk 2077 - CD Projekt Red on Pushing Graphics Tech Forward
We sit down with Mojang to discuss the upcoming action-RPG Minecraft Dungeons, its humble origins, and focus on combat. The Minecraft way.
Delving Into Minecraft Dungeons with Mojang
We take a swing at where Ubisoft could take Far Cry to next, and it's both closer and further away than you might think...
Where to Next for Far Cry?
At a preview event we had the chance to go hands on with the emotional, harrowing, and stunning The Last Of Us Part II – an experience that left us remembering every face and life we put an end to.
The Last of Us Part II Preview – Harrowing and Unforgettable
Post by Dan @ 11:44am 03/04/13 | 16 Comments
Last week's unveiling of Battlefield 4 was met with a mixed reception from the community, perhaps largely due to the technical showcase of DICE's Frostbite 3 engine --with only a year and a half of lead time-- not offering the same kind of generational leap that it's predecessor presented with Battlefield 3.

Many are also only interested in a Battlefield sequel for the series' strength in multiplayer, and a walkthrough of single-player content seems to hold little relevance to that side of the game.

With some of these reservations in mind, AusGamers spoke to DICE Executive Producer Patrick Bach a day after the reveal event in San Francisco, who provided some insight into why the developer has made some of the choices it has, and the studio's goals moving forward with the series.
There’s several reasons why we reveal with single-player. One is that it’s really hard to showcase multiplayer without giving hands-on, and we don’t feel like we’re ready right now, to give hands-on with the game. It’s also hard to, in seventeen minutes --like we did now, which is quite a lot for a first reveal-- to prove a point with multiplayer. Because like you said, multiplayer you play that for hundreds of hours, and it might not be until after 10 hours, where you actually start to feel like “Ok, now I know what this game is”.

So I think revealing with multiplayer would actually be hard from a presentation standpoint. Then on top of that, I think we are showcasing a lot of new... both features, but also new ways of thinking, by showcasing single-player.

And the third thing that I think is also important, is that we see more issues with our single-player than we have seen with our multiplayer. That doesn’t meant that we’re not innovating, or giving you great surprises with multiplayer, but I think it’s important to understand that our multiplayer has sort of been great, but single-player has only been good. And I think that discrepancy, we need to keep working on.
Bach also explains why support for community modding has not been offered in Battlefield 3, and isn't likely to in Battlefield 4, and much more. Click here for the full interview, in both video and written formats.

battlefield 4diceelectronic artseainterviewpatrick bach

Erisus
Posted 12:21pm 03/4/13
Irrelevant! Where is my Bad Company 3? :(
Lithium
Posted 12:37pm 03/4/13
Gee whiz, don't even bother asking about mod tools, we know its never going to happen again. EA wouldn't want the community to extend the life of their game past their due by date. Plus and very obviously, EA make too much money selling off DLC every 6 months, releasing 4 extra s***** maps and thinking they are Gods great gift to the world.
ShwaMiller86
Posted 01:16pm 03/4/13
With the mods question, aside from commercial interests, the other huge factor is that Frostbite is no longer a DICE initiative, but a huge investment for EA. They don't want anyone - least of all modders - taking a close look at an engine they do not intend to license outside of their own studios and development partners.

Frostbite is a highly efficient engine, with lots of brilliant features. Giving it to people is a huge risk and isn't in their business model. Epic, Crytek and id do have that risk factored in; they've all simultaneously produced games and engines for licensing from their first titles - typically using their games as showcases for potential licensees. EA has never (to my knowledge) taken part in developing a flagship engine before.

As he says, they've also invested a lot of time ensuring their internal staff understand the tech and no one else. From a business standpoint it absolutely makes sense.

I miss BF mods too, but I think these days Bohemia are doing amazing work on the Arma series being open and Steam-only (which should eventually allow for Workshop support) and you can get all the military fix you need with mods covering a huge range of conflicts, scenarios and national armies (including huge support for ADF mods).
carson
Posted 01:46pm 03/4/13
We all know that mod tools aren't made available for certain franchises because there is no money in it. They shouldn't lie to us and just be honest. "We don't want to give you mod tools because we will release maps you can buy that are better than s***** community maps and f*** you. That's why"

The main thing that'll hold back Origin in the long run is no support for community content. Steam Workshop is thriving with new stuff added all the time. It's something Origin and EA need to get on top of if they want to contend with Steam properly.
badfunkstripe
Posted 02:02pm 03/4/13
The reason there is no MP reveal yet, is clearly because they don't have anything to show. We know the MP in BF3 was a mess and rushed for launch.

All they needed to do was show some screens from maps, some video. Explain some new features or something.

What's also really funny is those teaser trailers for the reveals, with tanks, subs and stuff. Which had nothing to do with the reveal.

Some of the comments i've seen around has DICE suggesting they know how to nail MP and so don't need to worry about it. They certainly made a good game, but did not nail it with BF3.

I clearly think MP is probably still in such an early stage in developement, they simply don't know what it'll be that's different than BF3.
maRtz
Posted 05:11pm 03/4/13
BF4 will be essentially the same gameplay as BF3 with little variances which is sad because it means that we'll get sick of the game pretty damn quick. Much like the COD series, when you've played one, you've played them all.

I've actually stopped playing BF3 cause I'm waay over it and am back playing Bad Company 2, having so much more fun and no prone is f*****g win. Like Erisus said, bring on the BC3!!

One is that it’s really hard to showcase multiplayer without giving hands-on

this is f*****g bulls***, the game play videos that were released prior to each DLC for BF3 made me jizz, they looked awesome!
Woz
Posted 05:23pm 03/4/13
Multiplayer was great, but singleplayer was only good? I don't know anyone outside EA that would be willing to claim BF 3 singleplayer was good. After playing the Call of Duty series, there's just no comparison. BF 3 singleplayer was god-awful, and EA's refusal to own that doesn't bode well for any future singleplayer efforts.
glynd
Posted 06:15pm 03/4/13

You can count me your first person outside EA then. I thought the singleplayer was good. It wasn't groundbreaking or anything but I found it highly enjoyable with some really nice cinematic moments.
BladeRunner
Posted 07:27pm 03/4/13
I do not care for a Single Player in a battlefield game. They should seperate the single player from the multiplayer so I will have to download less when its released. It would be interesting to see the stats on release about it.

Perhaps they should have not made BF3 and saved time and energy making this new one which may be a more full featured Battlefield game.

Aside from that, They should have made Battlefield 2143 instead. I want Titan Mode and those mech things.
koopz
Posted 10:07pm 03/4/13
I just want Valve to make a Battlefield cross platform killer..

get it done already..
Ryan
Posted 08:48pm 07/4/13
Someone needs to put him on the spot about the fact that BF3 and inevitably BF4 aren't true successors to BF2 due to the lack of the commander system, classes that excel at too many roles in a squad, etc. I'll not be buying this if it's anything like BF4.
parabol
Posted 09:14pm 07/4/13

So which BF game with commander system was BF2 a "true successor" to, itself?
maRtz
Posted 09:43pm 07/4/13
What I'm really f*****g hating on with BF3 and probably BF4 is the lack of 6 player squads and the level of team work..

I remember the team work for BF2, it was awesome and worked so well and even on pub servers!! In BF3 everyone just runs around on solo rambo mode, really over it..
infi
Posted 12:54am 08/4/13
it's strange because bf3 has more teamwork awards and objectives than bf2 did. bf2 just worked for some reason.
Python
Posted 09:27am 08/4/13
Never had a problem with teamwork in bf3 :O
BladeRunner
Posted 10:41am 08/4/13
I normally solo and just hang around an area, sometimes the squad Im in follows me and we get stuff done or try to at least. I wonder if DICE will go back to the old class system. Assualt/Support/Medic/Engineer/Anti-Tank/commando. I hope so. I like a varied experience.