Shadowlands is set to get its first major content drop, we chat to Blizzard about what's in store and telling stories in the afterlife.
World of Warcraft Shadowlands Unleash the Chains of Domination
Forged in the Barrens is the next expansion to hit Hearthstone, and it arrives alongside the new Year of the Gryphon, a new mode, and a major shuffle of the deck.
Hearthstone’s Forged in the Barrens Expansion is For the Horde
Diablo II: Resurrected is out this year for PC and consoles and it’s basically a dream scenario. Remake-level visuals with that authentic classic feel.
Diablo 2: Resurrected Brings Back the Iconic Action-RPG
Announced at BlizzConline we dive into this new take on an class-ic, and chat to Blizzard as the Rogue officially joins Diablo IV.
Diablo 4 - Inside the Rogue Reveal
Post by Eorl @ 10:40am 02/04/13 | 23 Comments
The first trailer for the upcoming Thief reboot by Eidos Montreal has been leaked ahead of its scheduled release later today, showing off the long awaited return to the popular stealth-action series, described as "a reinvention of a franchise that helped define an entire genre of games." Revealing the first look at protagonist Garrett, the trailer is comprised of what seems to be all cinematic however several of the assets may see themselves in the actual game world.
There is a rising tide of fear in The City. Hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with sickness and famine, they wait for something to change.

Into this shadowy world steps Garrett, THE master thief in a first-person adventure featuring intelligent design that allows players to take full control, with freedom to choose their path through the game’s levels and how they approach and overcome each challenge.
Check it out below alongside some new concept art that looks almost too real. Thief will be available for PC and next-gen consoles next year.

Update: Square Enix officially released the trailer. Our video has been updated.

eidos montrealnext-genthief
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£19.99!

Nerf Lord
Posted 01:18pm 02/4/13
The unmasked face looks right, but the voice and city are both entirely new characters...

Thief was 25% about the voice actor, this is the worst thing that has ever happened in the universe. It's like terminator suddenly replacing arnold schwarzenegger with some generic american bodybuilder...
dais
Posted 01:47pm 02/4/13
WTF where is Stephen Russell?

I guess you would consider this a reboot.
Toxus
Posted 02:37pm 02/4/13
As soon as I read that this thief will be "More easily accessible" I knew it was going to be dreadful. Easily Accessible = not hard for morons so gameplay can be mediocre :(
tel
Posted 04:21pm 02/4/13
DAM! Thief was bloodly awesome, hope they don't mess with it too much. The video reminds me of Dishonored.
Dazhel
Posted 04:39pm 02/4/13
It's not necessarily a bad thing - Dishonored stacks up pretty favourably with Thief.
I just hope they don't introduce something like 'Blink' ability in Thief, it'd be out of character in a Thief game & it made Dishonored way too easy in retrospect.
koopz
Posted 06:46pm 02/4/13
WTF where is Stephen Russell?

I guess you would consider this a reboot.

cue the custom voicepacks.. ( oh no... I just gave them a DLC idea #$@#$@^%)

considering the area of PC gaming that Thief hails from, I was hoping to see something included a sandbox-editor... hmm actually... did anyone every do a Thief TC on another engine?
DM
Posted 07:57pm 02/4/13
The second I heard new Garrett's voice I instantly disliked it. To me this is like suddenly giving Link a scottish accent, you just don't f*****g do that to such a well loved, and known character. Russell gave him an awesome personality so this new guy will have to work hard to win me back.

I wonder if this will be mission based like the first 2 games I'm kind of expecting it to be a bit like Deus Ex HR with their level layouts so as long as they make the city real big i'll be happy with that. Though ideally they'd do it like GTA4 with 1 massive city and missions you took would open special areas and indoor levels. I loved to play Dishonored like Thief as well, don't kill anyone and ghost the entire missions using as little powers as possible. usually only blink.

a reinvention of a franchise that helped define an entire genre of games

It didn't help define the genre either, it created it so you better not screw it up and make it console easy.
Nerf Lord
Posted 11:40pm 02/4/13
I'm going to set expectations low at this point, so that I can hopefully enjoy it.

I mean they're mentioning ghosting in the trailer, and leaving combat options in there, which is truer to the original than I think that Thief 3 was. The city doesn't look right to me. The guards don't look right. But Garrett looks ok with his mask down.

Aside from the awesome music, the Thief 3 trailer was pretty similar or even worse. (I didn't realise that the awful lines printed on the Thief 4 stuff are actually from this trailer, and were even narrated by Stephen Russell, yet they still sound terrible even with that benefit).

Also read elsewhere that Garrett's voice actor was used as a placeholder in the early Bioshock Infinite trailers, so maybe they'll do an opposite here...
Nerf Lord
Posted 12:25am 03/4/13
He actually did a whole range of voices in the original Thief games, so it means that we lost the funny guards too...

I started watching this Thief 2 fan mission because somebody said that there was a fan-done voice for Garrett which sounded identical (though the bits I've seen are clips from the game), and now miss old Thief...
Viper119
Posted 01:36am 03/4/13
I wonder why they didn't get Stephen Russell? They would have had budget unless he was demanding extortionate fees, or maybe he just turned it down?

It looks like a thief version of dishonored, which I'm kind of alright with. I'll probably stick my head in the sand and wait till I can play it and see then.
Whoop
Posted 01:50am 03/4/13
^^ I tried playing dishonored, it was "ok" but nowhere as great as the trailers made it out to be. I vaguely remember playing something waaaaaaaaaaay back where you had to sneak around and hide in shadows, behind barrels, peer around corners, stealthily take out guards etc. Would that have been the original Thief? It's so long ago I can't remember much about it other than I think it might have been in sort of ye olde england timeset (not necessarily actually IN england).
Nerf Lord
Posted 01:58am 03/4/13
It sounds like Thief. They dropped you in a medieval world without encyclopaedias, maps, or even a name for the city - nor telling you that it wasn't our world - and then let you figure s*** out the hard way...

You can check out the first level and see if it's familiar.

Viper119
Posted 01:58am 03/4/13
Dishonored defo had that, it's just it's combat path was also entirely viable. Whereas in Thief 1 and 2 if you did the combat path it was extremely hard and you got pwned most of the time, so encouraged stealth. I finished Dishonored without killing many peeps at all, and often 'disappearing' or getting others to kill the targets for assassination which was pretty cool.

The atmosphere/setting in the original Thief and Thief 2 still hasn't been beaten imo, but I don't think its realistic to expect that from a different creative team 10 or so years on.
Whoop
Posted 02:23am 03/4/13
Not familiar at all. The part I remember, I was out in the open (I think) and I had to sneak inside some place like a cellar or a barn or something. Pretty sure I may have had a knife with which to stibbity stabbity. You could duck down and hide behind barrels, not 100% sure but there might have been a 3rd person view.

I don't even remember where I got the game, it might have been one of those PC World CD's with game demos on it, or a freebie with a video card or something.

I tried going the stealth route in Dishonored but after a while my attention span ran out so I just went round killing everyone on sight. I got up to the bit where you have to try to off the lord regent what's his face & just sort of got bored with it.
Nerf Lord
Posted 02:56am 03/4/13
Could have been the third Thief released in 2004ish. Though Barrels were just an option, not actually part of the mechanics in some special way.
Whoop
Posted 05:32am 03/4/13
yeah this cellar thing I was in had barrels in it and I just kind of hid behind them. I did see a thief 3 video on youtube and it kind of looked like a similar style. We didn't have a computer until pentiums were common and a 200mhz was like $5000, I think our 133mhz cost like $1500 or something so I guess whatever game it was, was probably pretty "modern" by comparison.

rather strange, when I was a kid I didn't want anything to do with computers, now as an adult I can't get enough. making up for lost time perhaps?

forever alone :(
Nerf Lord
Posted 05:23pm 03/4/13

Stephen Russell was replaced because they wanted a voice actor who could do acrobatic motion capture... I don't even...
ravn0s
Posted 06:25pm 03/4/13
that's fair enough.

DM
Posted 06:44pm 03/4/13
Someone reedited the trailer to what it should of been

Dazhel
Posted 06:59pm 03/4/13

Righto! It's for the same reason that Tim Allen won all those prestigious awards for the mocap work he did for Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story then. (Hint: He didn't)

Unless they've done some seriously awesome lip syncing tech like in LA Noire I'm dubious they couldn't have just redubbed.
skythra
Posted 07:08pm 03/4/13
Someone reedited the trailer to what it should of been

Haha you're right i watched yours first and then went to the top and watched the original. Funny!

I don't get how people constantly will be like "Oh i hate them for ruininy my innocence, it'll never live up to it's predecessors, they should have just made another crappy game instead so i could keep my vagin memory intact.
Dazhel
Posted 07:36pm 03/4/13

Should they cast Gilbert Gottfried in place of James Earl Jones in the upcoming Star Wars flick also?
Nerf Lord
Posted 07:43pm 03/4/13
Someone reedited the trailer to what it should of been

Aside from the first scene, I thought that this quick mashup was way easier to follow (something about the first one, maybe the volume or lack of character in the music, made it all sort of blur into a meaningless sleepy sequence - the first time it was "Oh that guard's smoking and Garrett's walking behind him? Boring." and the second time it was all "Oh Garrett's f*****g awesome, weaving along in the shadows there").