A look at Stay in the Light, from one-man studio Sunside Games. Designed specifically for NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Stay in the Light – Indie Horror Powered by Ray-Tracing
198X is endearing, and how it presents a compilation of sorts of an era is something that leaves a positive if not lasting impression.
198X Review - Coming of Age in the Arcade Era
We sit down with Blizzard to discuss the creation of its visually striking new zones – Nazjatar and Mechagon.
From Concept to Screen – World of Warcraft's Rise of Azshara
Techland's next parkour leap into Dying Light takes 'post-apocalyptia' to a new level as we explore...
Dying Light 2 - Renaissance Mad Max
Post by Dan @ 07:27am 06/03/13 | 18 Comments
Confirming yesterday's speculation, Square Enix and Eidos Montreal have announced Thief, the long awaited return to the popular stealth-action series, described as "a reinvention of a franchise that helped define an entire genre of games."

The game is in development for PC, PlayStation 4 and "other next-generation consoles".
Time has moved on. Power has shifted. New greed replaces the old.
But to remain free in The City of chains – that is still the greatest prize.
First I stole to survive… then I survived to steal.
I am one man; I hear your secrets, see your hidden truths.
I am the shadows, the dark and deadly, the velvet night. You will not see me coming.
I am Garrett….What’s yours is mine.

There is a rising tide of fear in The City. Hatred saturates every stone and whilst the rich prosper, the less fortunate face misery and repression. Ravaged with sickness and famine, they wait for something to change.

Into this shadowy world steps Garrett, THE master thief in a first-person adventure featuring intelligent design that allows players to take full control, with freedom to choose their path through the game’s levels and how they approach and overcome each challenge.

"We’re handling a precious gemstone with THIEF. Fans remember the original games very fondly and we want to preserve that essence - which we have excellent experience of doing at Eidos-Montréal - whilst also introducing THIEF to a brand new, next-generation, audience,” said Stephane D’Astous, General Manager, Eidos-Montréal. “Our goal is to deliver the fantasy of being Garrett, THE master thief, and we’re building this game around that core experience.”
Game Informer has now kicked off their cover reveal coverage, and although there's not a great deal of info there as yet, the always resourceful denizens of the NeoGAF forums have once again pulled the relevant information from the upcoming print publication, which includes an overview of an opening gameplay sequence, and information about AI, gameplay mechanics, and equipment. They've also seemingly discovered some leaked hi-res screenshots.

thiefannouncedeidos montrealsquare enix

glynd
Posted 09:12am 06/3/13
I'm pretty Big Kev about this.
sLaps_Forehead
Posted 09:15am 06/3/13
I wonder how many peeps are aware that Thief is the granddaddy of Assassins CReed
Eorl
Posted 10:17am 06/3/13
I'd say Thief is the granddaddy of quite a few recent stealth first-person titles, especially Dishonored. From what I've seen so far in the gameinformer scans, things could be quite interesting. Hopefully nothing too drastic has been changed though, would hate to see the familiar formula watered down.
ravn0s
Posted 11:37am 06/3/13
and nerf just went into cardiac arrest
DM
Posted 12:04pm 06/3/13
Must find out if Stephen Russell is doing the voice or not
Nerf Lord
Posted 02:43pm 06/3/13
I'm really not feeling it, looks way too ninja acrobaty with crazy mechanical bows, and not the cranky guy with a sword, bow, and blackjack who would grumpily climb through sewage wells and s*** to get into noblemen's houses. Apparently no lightgem either, or any of the old stealth mechanics aside from crouching and getting a grey dull sheen across the screen, and some sort of "focus vision", meh.

Furthermore, wtf did they change the logo for?
From this:
THief-logo.jpg
To this:
hL4n8yV.png
Dazhel
Posted 02:02pm 06/3/13
Happy happy. I'm glad they dropped the silly THI4F name.
Not sure how I feel about the trend of naming sequels after the original game though :/

I'm pretty Big Kev about this.

Dead?
Varchld
Posted 05:47pm 06/3/13
One of the things I liked in Thief, which made the atmosphere of the game so great for me, was how honest and human the levels were. The places didn't have window dressings everywhere and was humble in both the character and the scene.
Granted a lot of that was probably the engine limitations, but still.

Not saying this will be bad, just saying they can easily make it what it's not.
Nerf Lord
Posted 06:08pm 06/3/13
^ I was thinking that exact thing. Levels in the original were more like stone mazes, where the city was an unplanned messy metropolis all crammed together, with multiple stone walkways and hallways all zig zagging around each other, and stone staircases everywhere, occasionally leading to larger art and pool rooms and whatnot. It resulted in the nobles having a lot of secret rooms and hidden story elements between it all.

This open gothic architecture just doesn't look like Thief. Nor the flat streets instead of the stone walkway maze metropolis.

Apparently they're toning down the supernatural elements as well, which were not huge, but really defined the series, and created the epic horror moments which were a core part of thief.
Dazhel
Posted 06:47pm 06/3/13
Supernatural elements were all but removed from T2: The Metal Age after TDP.
I preferred the second one to the first one, but each to their own, they're just moderately different.

I've seen TDP described as a great story in which a bunch of odd labyrinthine maps were designed around while T2 was a bunch of huge interesting maps where a mediocre story was thrown over the top.
Nerf Lord
Posted 07:50pm 06/3/13
I liked the decrease in supernatural elements in the second, but the second still did have hammer haunts, the ghost pagans after the massacre of their village, viktoria, and so on, which were even more intense when encountered because of their rarity. From the sounds of things, this one will be doing away with it completely, but will have to wait and see. Nothing like collecting holy water to splash on some zombies.

It was probably just mandated by polygon counts, but the simpler cleaner world seems far more interesting to go sneaking around in to me. Diving into windows, stealing a random person's silver plates or gold candles, being all voyeur'y on people's conversations which build up the city's story, etc.
prtybelltower.JPG

And I guess that this is just how I envisioned Garrett:
p2_garrett_by_mospineq-d4cl2uy.jpg

Rather than eyeliner zombie Altier:
43X1dt1.jpg
dais
Posted 07:30pm 06/3/13
They just call it Thief because the first one is Thief: The Dark Project.

Hope it delivers.
dais
Posted 07:32pm 06/3/13
Stephen Russell is still voicing games, it would suck if he didn't return.
Kimbo
Posted 01:58pm 07/3/13
Yeah I've really been looking forward to this. Thief 3 was definitely a hit-and-miss but least the story in Thief as a series is pretty epic. Just with the whole nature versus the Hammerite stuff and the original Thief: The Dark Project, was one of the first games to make you 'fear' technically being discovered. No game has done that since. Not Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed or Dishonored. But I will give it to Dishonored it was a new and interesting setting.

Luckily Thief 3 was modifiable so we could remedy a lot of the rushed console port job the developers did. Just a shame it turned out the way it did however I will never EVER forget Shalebridge Cradle. That thing was boss:

I have yet to see any level in any game that has this level of tension, ambience and atmosphere. Just by "being" in the level.

I also won't forget the underground level with the Burricks and Constantine's Manor with the "WTF how big is this place" style moment.
Nerf Lord
Posted 09:03am 14/3/13
There was a video of them describing how they've changed the character here: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/03/13/meet-the-new-garrett-from-thief.aspx

Tbh, I don't know what to think, and will just have to wait and see. Currently, he looks overly psychopathic to me, and the old (more realistic?) version still looks better imo (if the new version walked down the street, everybody would be calling the cops...)
Viper119
Posted 10:34am 14/3/13
Yeah I loved Thief and Thief 2, up there in the top games list. Thief Deadly Shadows was alright, tbh it was just nice to play a thief game, it had some great moments.

I loved Dishonored, I remember a quarter into it wondering why I was digging it so much then I realised it was because it reminded me so much of Thief! Just in the little bits and elements, like the ambient sound when you open the map. If they manage something like Thief/Dishonored I'd be fairly happy.

Actually given that collection of peeps have done Deus Ex: HR, Dishonored and Tomb Raider, it's the best hopes I could have for a top game really, especially compared to other studios.
koopz
Posted 09:51pm 14/3/13
Furthermore, wtf did they change the logo for?
From this: *snip*

marketing debt (or more likely an idiot investor who should stay out of the process) prolly figured that most of the people they want to buy the game never played the originals, so the makeup of glyphs will pass them by.

I smell a rat

I will never EVER forget Shalebridge Cradle. That thing was boss:

I re-bought the back series recently during a Steam sale and didn't feel anything near the original anxiety again with the SC level.. probably my bad for expecting too much playing it thru on a TV this time with decent sound after having all the surprises mapped away upstairs. I knew what was coming, and just got it done - no suspense there. To my discredit - I was also in a rush - I don't get 'TV' time with my PC anymore as I'm a 'family guy'. Moments like these are rare now.

This game deserves John Carmack's head display with tin-pushing 3D sound tech built into the mix. I *want* to feel concern that I'm too close or too far away from a light source in the same way that I would make that judgement if the game was real. I don't want to rely solely on my ability to figure out the game mechanics and beat the little areas that I know I can exploit.

I would like to think the game will deliver, though the jaded part of me thinks that the product will be just another console title like T3 was. It'll just be prettier than previous console games - that's all they really offer.

I would feel better if the title provided tools for fans to make their own missions instead of having to rely on semi decent unemployed coders with too much time on their hands to hack this s*** out of the product in the name of art.

it's Theif - it's not just another s***** FPS
Nerf Lord
Posted 05:44am 15/3/13
I'll just have to make my own game, called "Burglar", following the antics of a cranky master burglar, as he slowly robs the mansions of the extremely wealthy in a decadent and endless medieval metropolis called "The City", while overhearing and seeing more than most people realise.

He'll have a sword, a bow, and a blackjack, and be a pretty broad antisocial guy who hates a certain stealthy secret society which once recruited him, and keeps trying to insist that he is pivotal in lofty heroics like saving the world. :P

"Burglar" will be an awesome game. The protagonist won't be at all ninja-like, he'll be a fairly down-to-earth gothic burglar with a sword. He'll rely on tools and cleverness rather than any crazy acrobatic abilities.

thief1.jpg