The iGEA (Interactive Games & Entertainment Association) has just released their most up-to-date stats regarding the various components of gaming's life here in Australia.
There's a full breakdown of the study from Bond University you can check out directly here
, but for your convenience we also have a link to an interesting infographic
with all the details visually represented, but just on the surface, here are a few significant stand-outs:
- 93% of households in Australia are gaming households
- The average gamer is 32 years old and has been playing for 12 years
- 73% of gamers are over 18
- 69% enjoy watching others play
- 60% play games daily
- 47% of all gamers are female
- 41% purchase new boxed copies of games, while 13% purchase used games
A lot of the statistics are fascinating, and thankfully support the growing acceptance in this country that gaming really isn't predominantly a kids of family-oriented pastime.