Eidos-Montréal, the studio behind the recent Deus Ex duo and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, is adding a new track to its mix-tape with Guardians of the Galaxy.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Square Enix Goes Marvel Once More
Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is set to take the series forward in new and meaningful ways, and it’ll be free-to-play across Xbox consoles and PC.
Halo Infinite Multiplayer - Everything You Need to Know
Forza Horizon 5. Starfield. Redfall. All the major game reveals, trailers, and info you need from Microsoft’s big E3 2021 event.
Xbox & Bethesda E3 2021 Showcase - All The Major Reveals
With its modern setting and overhauled Frostbite engine, Battlefield 2042 is not only the latest entry in the series - it’s aiming to push the sandbox into new and exciting territory.
Battlefield 2042 Interview - We Sit Down with DICE
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 05:23pm 01/08/12 | 15 Comments
The iGEA (Interactive Games & Entertainment Association) has just released their most up-to-date stats regarding the various components of gaming's life here in Australia.

There's a full breakdown of the study from Bond University you can check out directly here, but for your convenience we also have a link to an interesting infographic with all the details visually represented, but just on the surface, here are a few significant stand-outs:
  • 93% of households in Australia are gaming households
  • The average gamer is 32 years old and has been playing for 12 years
  • 73% of gamers are over 18
  • 69% enjoy watching others play
  • 60% play games daily
  • 47% of all gamers are female
  • 41% purchase new boxed copies of games, while 13% purchase used games
A lot of the statistics are fascinating, and thankfully support the growing acceptance in this country that gaming really isn't predominantly a kids of family-oriented pastime.

igeabond university studyaustralian gaming statistics

Tollaz0r!
Posted 06:37pm 01/8/12
Alright I'm exactly the gaming average years old. Although I started way more than 12 years ago.
Fish
Posted 08:18pm 01/8/12
69% enjoy watching others play
When I read that metric, it sounded like a fetish.
Stalfax
Posted 08:22pm 01/8/12
47% of all gamers are female?! The only way this would be true is if you included Solitaire players as 'gamers'
deadlyf
Posted 09:15pm 01/8/12
69% enjoy watching others play
I'm well and truly not with the group on that one, can't stand watching people suck at games.
Primal
Posted 09:30pm 01/8/12
Gamer is a general term now, unlike the old school days of draging your heavy CRT monitor and a brick computer to an old school hall, then playing quake3 or CS in a LAN.

My wife plays crappy computer games like smurfs or pet shop or scrabble on line.

These are still computer games, but is she a gamer?? hhmmm, i think not, just a female playing crappy computer games. ( but to her they are not crappy and if she reads this, i will be in the dog house ). : /
Bertis
Posted 10:47pm 01/8/12
Yeah this means pretty much nothing without a definition of a gamer.
eXemplar
Posted 11:10pm 01/8/12
Facebook games no more makes you a gamer than going for a jog in the morning makes you an athlete, nor even a casual athlete. That said, I'm happy the local gaming industry is growing, even if they are using vague metrics and kiddie iphone "app" games to pay the bills now.

It would be interesting to see those purchase medium stats over time, though.

last edited by eXemplar at 23:10:44 01/Aug/12
koopz
Posted 11:12pm 01/8/12
strange as it sounds Primal, women led guys like you and your demographic to enjoy what we had @ Qgl.

that one was giving you a favour.. do you think your daughter will do the same?
WirlWind
Posted 12:04am 02/8/12
Zero care on these stats. As mentioned, my mother is a gamer by most standards and she just plays random bejewelled s***.

It's like saying everyone who cooks is a chef...
HERMITech
Posted 12:09am 02/8/12
It's like saying everyone who cooks is a chef...

I dated a chef for about 4 years, turned out she was a whore.
fpot
Posted 12:10am 02/8/12
I reckon a lot of people in this thread are scared of having their exclusive little 'gamer' label ripped from them due to the fact that genres and their playerbases are getting broader and broader. Instead of doing that you should think 'awesome' and be happy that games are such a massive thing now and that the industry is as healthy as it has ever been. Because that means more good games (and yes, even more bad ones).
Whoop
Posted 12:38am 02/8/12

I'd say the wii things probably account for most of it. They probably counted wii fit & other exercise stuff as games. Although, if your boyfriend is an avid gamer, I could see the girlfriend picking up a mouse or controller once in a while just to see what the fuss is about.

Depends on their definition of watching others play. I like watching trick shots from old quake games, or funny kills in modern warfare/battlefield type of games.

I'm more inclined to think "awesome, more chicks to hit on in CS".
WirlWind
Posted 08:02am 02/8/12
I actually dated a chick who played CS...

She was insane, but I guess I shoulda seen that coming.
maRtz
Posted 10:17am 02/8/12
I dated a chef for about 4 years, turned out she was a whore.

how much did she charge?
Primal
Posted 11:31am 02/8/12
yep koopz, both my son and daughter lubs computer games

they keep asking me to play warcraft3, age of mythology, warhammer 40k and the lords of the rings conquest in lan with them

* points finger of blame towards myself *

yep, when they were younger, they saw daddy playing these games and you know, monkey see monkey do