Somewhere Deep in the Caribbean…
Return to Monkey Island Review
Another Aussie-made gem, and a wonderful spin on the Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing genre.
Wylde Flowers - Utterly Charming
A slice of life full of meaning, and an Aussie made gem to boot
Wayward Strand Review
Zen 4 ushers in a new era for AMD CPU performance when it comes to straight-up gaming.
AMD Ryzen 7600X Review - Gaming Excellence
Post by trog @ 02:20pm 27/04/12 | 12 Comments
A new version of Ubuntu has landed today, bringing one of the more popular Linux desktop distributions up to version 12.04. This is the first Long Term Support (LTS) edition of Ubuntu to be targeted for a five year support programme.

The major new features are as follows:
The new HUD gives you a fast alternative to the traditional, menu-based way of telling your computer what to do. Instead of clicking on menu items to give it instructions, you just press one key to bring up the HUD and start typing what you want to do. You’ll then get a list of functions, without ever needing to know in which menu they live.

The new Video Lens makes it easier than ever to find the videos you want to watch. Just click on the icon on the Dash and enter your text to search. Whether it’s stored on your computer, on YouTube or anywhere else, you’ll soon see a list of matching content.
We've got the Desktop ISOs available for local download for both AMD64 and i386 flavours. Note that these Desktop ISOs can be downloaded and burned to a CD/DVD so you can boot off them, meaning you can check it out without having to install it onto a PC - a nice easy way to get a glimpse of the world of Linux.

ubuntulinux

unclebobsticle
Posted 02:45pm 27/4/12
I'm no Linux guru but love having it on my old HTPC which I no longer use.

Couple of questions if anyone can answer:
Is Kubuntu any better or worse then Ubuntu?
Is the link for the AMD64, x64?

Been using Ubuntu 11.10 for a while never had an issue besides the whole blu-ray thing. I like it a lot and think i will keep using it for a while.
I used mandrake years ago but have not played with any distro's since Ubuntu.
I use to use KDE on mandrake but since using Ubuntu I havent seen or played with it for a while. Is KDE as user friendly as Gnome now days?

Also if anyone has purchased a rasberry pie, wha distros are you thinking of using on it and why?
$ack
Posted 02:50pm 27/4/12
Is Kubuntu any better or worse then Ubuntu?

It's Ubuntu with KDE.

I prefer gnome personally which, ubuntu ditched for their own unity replacement.

Fedora > Ubuntu.

So... OSX cmd+space search feature...

What about the ground breaking HUD?
unclebobsticle
Posted 02:56pm 27/4/12
Is Kubuntu any better or worse then Ubuntu?

Sorry should have worded that properly, is it more resource hungry?
trog
Posted 03:00pm 27/4/12
So... OSX cmd+space search feature...
Does that search per-application menus? That is what this new HUD does. I can't find a video but this screenshot is probably a better explanation:

Think of it like a Quake console that is available in every application. If you have Firefox open, instead of painstakingly moving your mouse to the menu, you just open the console and type a few characters for what you want - so "pri" and it will select print.

For KB junkies like me it sounds totally fkn awesome - the more I can do without having to stop to use the mouse the better.

That's how I understand it works anyway - so I think it's different to the OS X cmd-space thing, which is more of a general purpose OS search, rather than an in-application menu/functionality search.
$ack
Posted 03:04pm 27/4/12
Does that search per-application menus?

Ah, I didn't realize it was per-application, that's very nice.
Nathan
Posted 04:21pm 27/4/12
Unity already did the cmd-space thing, as you say the new "HUD" feature is for doing stuff within an application.

I still think Unity is almost comically ugly, though clearly someone likes it as its been basically unchanged visually over the last 3 releases.
HerbalLizard
Posted 07:55pm 27/4/12
dropped it on my field net book first thing I did was drop gnome3 like gillard in the national elections
Whoop
Posted 08:02pm 27/4/12

[img removed]

Sounds like a huge waste of time compared to keyboard shortcuts? Firefox for example, how do you open the console? One button you say? So: ~ -> pri -> enter (I assume). That's 5 buttons vs ctrl + p which is only 2.
TufNuT
Posted 08:07pm 27/4/12
For those with an Nvidia GTX 580 (like me) might want to visit This page first i had Ubuntu 11 installed and was very happy with but i decided to wipe the drive and install 12.04.. well it turns out 12.04 seems to hang during the install, read the link incase you run into trouble.
skythra
Posted 10:19pm 27/4/12
Sounds like a huge waste of time compared to keyboard shortcuts?

Yeah, if you have 100% understanding of every programs UI, then sure, you're right.
DecayingCorpse
Posted 11:30pm 27/4/12

i hate unity. it sucks balls.
run this in terminal:
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

and select "gnome classic" when you log in.
will need to do a bit of tweaking to get it to gnome2 standard, but its still better than unity.
DecayingCorpse
Posted 11:33pm 27/4/12
seems to hang during the install

i had that problem, it disappeared when i plugged network in.