AMD’s new Ryzen 7000 Series of CPUs presents a major step forward and sets the scene for PC use in the years to come.
AMD Ryzen 7900X Review - Next Level CPU Tech
Another Aussie-made gem, and a wonderful spin on the Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing genre.
Wylde Flowers - Utterly Charming
A slice of life full of meaning, and an Aussie made gem to boot
Wayward Strand Review
Zen 4 ushers in a new era for AMD CPU performance when it comes to straight-up gaming.
AMD Ryzen 7600X Review - Gaming Excellence
Post by Dan @ 12:43pm 29/03/12 | 16 Comments
Unfortunately we don't have any local details to share, but it seems a US embargo has lifted on more SimCity coverage today and a bunch of new interviews have revealed some more information on the game.

First up, speaking to Joystiq, EA Maxis Creative Director Ocean Qugley confirmed that mod tools for the game won't ship with the game. While this is hardly unusual -- in fact most bigger games that do support modding these days haven't released their SDK's until well after launch -- most site seem to be reporting this in a very negative light. However Quigley actually makes a point of acknowledging how important modding was to Sim City 4 and expresses desire to support mods -- just not at launch:
"Right now we've got our work cut out for us to build the product up to the quality level it deserves as a SimCity," Quigley said. "Then after we ship, we'll make decisions about how we can and when exactly we'll support mods. But it's worth pointing out that the reason people are still playing SimCity 4 almost ten years later is because the modding community essentially re-created it and filled it with new content and fixed bugs and made it as much of a hobby as it is a game.

"We're very cognizant of that -- we're not idiots."
Next up is a factoid that is harder to forgive -- in fact, so much so that it sounds like it has to be a mistake. Also speaking the Joystiq, Maxis Lead Designer Stone Librande reportedly confirmed that Sim City will require an always-on connection to the Origin service and failed to note an exception for singleplayer:
Lead designer Stone Librande confirmed that SimCity would be an internet-dependent experience. Players will need to be online on Origin while playing, even if that wasn't the point of purchase. The always-on connection becomes necessary with the game's emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.
Given that EA has yet to stoop that low (even Battlefield 3 -- their flasgship multiplayer title -- did not fuss if you disconnected from Origin while playing the singleplayer game) it's difficult to believe that this could be anything but crossed wires.

Lastly, an interview with Lead Producer Kip Katsarelis with Venturebeat has offered some insight into the classic sim's switch to a focus on missions, rather than stick with only the sandbox element.

We don’t want to make a linear, role-playing game. We still want to have that sandbox and play within that. Players are going to be able to opt into those missions.
SimCity is due in 2013, exclusively (for the time being) to PC.

simcitydrm

Tollaz0r!
Posted 12:48pm 29/3/12

Don't tell me what I want! I know what I want and it isn't that. Arg that line is infuriating.

I don't want an always on internet connection required for a SimCity game, I don't want a story/mission driven SimCity game, that isn't what SimCity is, it never has been. It has always been a game of, "Here is some land go build on it, try not run out of money"

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 12:48:44 29/Mar/12
deus
Posted 01:15pm 29/3/12
Always on with Origin? NO THANKS.
ArchetypE
Posted 02:25pm 29/3/12
Spelling mistake in title.

Edit: Everything I could say is very well summed up by Tollaz0r.

You would think publishers have learned from Ubisoft's mistake.
Trauma
Posted 02:11pm 29/3/12
Really.... always online s*** again. Well at least that will be cracked just like Ubisoft's crap.
Hogfather
Posted 02:17pm 29/3/12
It sounds to me like the game doesn't really have a true single player mode, if your game is influenced by the actions of other players globally?

The cynic in me says that these features are designed to require an internet connection.

The pragmatist in me says that providing connected services and game features is an excellent way to discourage piracy. I know a few people who literally live by the mantra "lol why buy a single player game, just dl it"
paveway
Posted 02:20pm 29/3/12
EVEN THOUGH MUST OF US HAVE THE INTERNET ON ALL OF THE TIME WE SHOULD ALL BOYCOTT THIS!@!~!~@@
Outlaw
Posted 02:23pm 29/3/12
"lol why buy a single player game, just dl it"

pretty much
trog
Posted 03:02pm 29/3/12

From the very brief intro we got of this game at GDC that does seem to be the case.

It seems weird that a game with such a HUGE single player tradition and one of the few that soooooo many people would probably drop everything to buy and play would have such a limitation, but at this stage I'd like to believe that the "single player game" they're planning isn't REALLY a single player game - it's actually a big MMO that you just play a small role in.
Deviouz
Posted 03:21pm 29/3/12
Always on-line doesn't bother me, if I have no net (at home) I'm consumed with a heroin addict like zeal to get it up and running, so I can deal with always on, this part sux to me tho:

"Gamers today, they want to be led through a story. They want to know what the rewards are. They want to achieve something in a small amount of time, or long amounts of time. But they want to know where they’re going. They want some help with that story. "

sounds like something the judges from dancing with the stars would say, lead on a journey... I want sandbox, and nothing else SC2000 smashed it, SC3000 was awesome, great sandbox play
Mordecai
Posted 04:00pm 29/3/12
EA have come out and said you don't need to be online at all times to play.

you will have to register an Origin account in order to play, and yes, you must be online in order to start playing. EA has confirmed that you will not be kicked out if your connection is interrupted. Moving on.
Trauma
Posted 04:07pm 29/3/12
When I had connection issues playing splinter cell 5 I was not booted, instead the game was paused until it returned.
ZeeDoktor
Posted 04:42pm 29/3/12
Well there goes any chances of me purchasing this game. *Sighs* I was really looking forward to this too...
Hogfather
Posted 04:57pm 29/3/12

Do you not have a regular internet connection or is this a taking a stand thing?
exo
Posted 01:22am 30/3/12

qmass
Posted 04:40am 30/3/12
people that complain about this s*** are the same kind of d******* that complained about games coming out on dvds because they would have to get a 25 dollar dvd player. you already have the f*****g internet on all the time (unless you are still on dialup in which case you are stupid for a whole other reason) this is such a non issue and anyone that says they are taking their ball and going home over it deserve to miss their train tomorrow or whatever.

you wankers are still going to buy the damn game anyway, why do we have to see you asinine ranting as well. i wish i had a banhammer.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:30am 30/3/12
Actually it is more the comment about telling me what I like, and getting it horribly wrong.

Now I'm afraid they are butchering the game to make it appeal to a wider audience, needing an always on connection is just added bollocks.