Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by trog @ 12:21pm 24/10/11 | 12 Comments
If you're a regular in the forums, you know I take any opportunity to plug the works of Neal Stephenson, an amazing author who has written a bunch of incredible sci-fi/techno-fiction books that I feel would be of interest to almost anyone who lives in the gaming world.

His new novel, Reamde, came out recently, and not only is it no exception it actually focuses heavily around the world of video games - specifically massively multiplayer online role players. The novel features a game called T'Rain, which takes the mantle from World of Warcraft through a combination of extremely well-crafted story elements, great technology, and features that have been designed specifically around the needs of Chinese gold farmers and gamers who want to utilise their services.

The story revolves around a few characters who get into all sorts of trouble when a virus called Reamde is unleashed on the players (though an exploit in an Outlook plug-in, no less). If you're infected, the virus encrypts your files and holds them for ransom. The ransom is a relatively small payment in gold that has to be delivered by your T'Rain character to a certain location in the game world.

Unfortunately for a coupe of the characters in the novel, some data that belongs to the Russian mafia gets encrypted on their watch, so they try to get it back, a process which turns out to involve not a small amount of death and destruction. Before you know it they're involved in a massive adventure, traveling around the world fighting all sorts of criminals and terrorists.

It is a great read, packed with a some real edge-of-your-seat moments and it is cram-packed with video game and technology references that any gamer will get (especially those of you that are into World of Warcraft or other MMOs).

You can buy it brand new from The Book Depository for AUD$20.92, or on Kindle for USD$8.82. Or you can pick it up from your local bookstore for around $35, courtesy of our ridiculous protectionist system for book prices (argh!@#).

reamdeneal stephenson

natslovR
Posted 02:32pm 24/10/11
I'm 91% through the audio book, and i have to agree with trog, it's very good.

In case a book about MMORPG's scares you off, don't let it, while the initial story is heavy on it most of the rest of the novel is set in the real world.

The use of technology throughout the book is realistic and enjoyable, and there's plenty of action and tense moments.

This is the first fiction I've "read" in a long time and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Raven
Posted 02:45pm 24/10/11
I bet that your spell checker went totally nuts every time you miss-spelled readme :)
bonnici
Posted 03:10pm 24/10/11
Amazon says the Kindle version isn't available in Australia :(
trog
Posted 03:13pm 24/10/11
Amazon says the Kindle version isn't available in Australia :(
Hmm, that's weird - a mate of mine got it on his Kindle when it first came out. I have seen though that there are no other e-book stores that have it available in .au due to licensing issues; I wonder if it was originally on Amazon and then has since been pulled. Region fail?
Scooter
Posted 03:19pm 24/10/11
I read the title as 'Read Me' and thought clever name for a gaming book...
sparrow
Posted 03:34pm 24/10/11
Am I the only one who read it as "Remade"?

Stupid nerds...
greazy
Posted 03:39pm 24/10/11
getting this.
skythra
Posted 03:49pm 24/10/11
I read the title as 'Read Me' and thought clever name for a gaming book...

Same it took me halfway through trogs post before my dyslexia phased out. I thought readme would be a totally clever nerd gaming book.
Nerfy
Posted 04:00pm 24/10/11
I actually had to skip the review to not risk spoilers, but rest assured that I am very keen. :D
ravn0s
Posted 10:49pm 24/10/11
need something new to read. might grab this and the new matthew reilly scarecrow novel.
Phandaal
Posted 08:37am 25/10/11
The title is a trick.

Nerfy
Posted 08:52am 25/10/11
The title is a trick.Reamde is something that 95% of us will initially parse as 'Readme' because we actually read by checking the start and the end of a word, and making assumptions about the middle.Hence, the title tricks us into seeing 'Read me' but most of us won't actually read it carefully and hence notice the trick.

I like Stephenson, but I don't think that worked on a single person in the world. :P