With the arrival of Wrath of the Lich King Classic we sit down with the team to discuss the process, making changes, and the goals for the Classic team.
Blizzard on World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King Classic
Check out all the key releases on all platforms for October, 2022!
October is a BIG month for releases in 2022. Here's why...
Another Aussie-made gem, and a wonderful spin on the Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing genre.
Wylde Flowers - Utterly Charming
A slice of life full of meaning, and an Aussie made gem to boot
Wayward Strand Review
Post by trog @ 11:28am 14/09/11 | 15 Comments
A post from Xbox's Major Nelson reveals that Microsoft will be bringing Xbox Live to Windows 8:
We are confirming that we will be bringing Xbox LIVE to the PC with Xbox LIVE on Windows. We are very excited about Xbox LIVE coming to Windows 8. Xbox LIVE brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices. Bringing Xbox LIVE to Windows 8 is part of our vision to bring you all the entertainment you want, shared with the people you care about, made easy. At BUILD we are showing that it is easy for developers to create games for Windows 8 that take advantage of the power of Xbox LIVE. We have much more detail to share about the capabilities of Xbox LIVE on Windows and look forward to the opportunity to do so in the near future.
There's also a keynote video (requires Silverlight) available from the BUILD conference which has more information.

major nelsonxbox livewindows 8

Vash
Posted 11:33am 14/9/11
if its anything like the current windows live implementation, then i say, aw hell nawwwwww
FraktuRe
Posted 01:54pm 14/9/11
lol
Trauma
Posted 02:17pm 14/9/11
Hard to be confident in this.
teq
Posted 02:19pm 14/9/11
f*** silverlight and f*** windows 8, there are people still on XP and they expect those of us who have just forked out $200~ on windows7 to upgrade soonish?

no thanks
Hogfather
Posted 02:24pm 14/9/11

no thanks

Aren't you one of those Apple kinda guys who upgrades everything he owns every 2 years?
Nerfy
Posted 02:30pm 14/9/11
I just upgraded to Windows 7 too teq, I'm sort of hoping that there'll be a cheaper upgrade option rather than buying it outright.
Hogfather
Posted 02:29pm 14/9/11

Like the upgrade version?

You're an ISV aren't you nerf (independent software kinda guy)? Why aren't you in the program? More MS software licenses than you can poke a stick at (10 licenses for basically everything you'd want) for a few hunje per year.
Nerfy
Posted 02:35pm 14/9/11
Windows 8 has a new developer platform according to Microsoft Vice President Christopher Ham, who called it "our new developer platform, which is...based on HTML5 and JavaScript.

O_o. Why the s*** would anybody do that? And I say that as somebody who's trying to make a career out of HTML5 and JavaScript development.

Like the upgrade version?

I think so, I've paid for Windows a grand total of once, so am a bit unfamiliar with the whole deal. :P

Few hunjie per year is a bit beyond what I'm willing to lay out on stuff which I don't necessarily need atm. Am developing in Eclipse with GWT, so don't need any Microsoft licenses beyond Windows 7 for testing in IE9+.

Have done some contracting recently as well, but was taking over from somebody who already had licenses for various things. Tbh I'm almost entirely unknowledgeable when it comes to licenses and whatnot, they're like magnets, I have no idea how they work. :P
deadlyf
Posted 02:43pm 14/9/11
Wait, this doesn't mean we can play xbox games on our PC's if we have Win 8 does it?
Boxhead
Posted 02:55pm 14/9/11
I wonder if they'll adopt the snow leopard-lion model.. eg an OS for 30bux for any and all pcs in the house...
Nerfy
Posted 03:04pm 14/9/11
Speaking of, Windows 8 Developer Preview was just released.
Enska
Posted 04:07pm 14/9/11

I highly doubt ms would cut themselves out of so much extra mulah.
Nerfy
Posted 04:18pm 14/9/11
I highly doubt ms would cut themselves out of so much extra mulah.

I've often heard that consoles themselves (or perhaps in the Nintendo case) are sold at a loss, while it's the games that make the profit.
Hogfather
Posted 04:30pm 14/9/11

I (somehow) forgot you do this, forget I mentioned anything.
Outlaw
Posted 05:48pm 14/9/11
f*** thats old news trog