We've taken LIFX lighting through the gaming and entertainment ringer. Does it amplify the experience?
LIFX x Razer Chroma Connect Review - Illuminating Gaming
Like the Strogg enemies of Quake II, this Frankenstein-like mishmash of old and new breeds killer results.
Quake II RTX - Shining a Light on id Software's Classic
Aussie-made Speaking Simulator is a wild ride in the simulation gaming world, but can it complete its sentence in full?
Tongue in Android Cheek - Speaking Simulator Review!
We sit down with Typhoon Studios’ Alex Hutchinson to talk about the studio’s first game, comedy, co-op, and striving to be the fourth-best.
Journey to the Savage Planet - Developer Interview
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 11:58am 25/08/11 | 11 Comments
Trion are going to be celebrating the six-month birthday of Rift by offering up a host of in-game rewards and competitions with some pretty cool prizes, for anyone who dabbles in the MMO.
Put on your party hats, log in, and help Trion celebrate six months of Rift. Today marks the beginning of a weeklong half-birthday celebration commemorating six fantastic months of the wildly successful MMORPG. Through August 31st, subscribers will be treated to substantial in-game bonuses, including extra XP, PvP Prestige and Favor, and a special surprise birthday gift.

Participants also have the chance to win one of three gaming desktops, NVIDIA GTX460 video cards, and six months of game time by participating in the following contests running throughout the week:
  • Ace of Achievements – Accomplish as many achievements as possible August 25-31 for the chance to win big!
  • Birthday Bakeoff – Dust off that cake tin and get cracking on an epic confectionary creation! Submit pictures via facebook and the official forums of your most Rift-acular birthday cake.
  • Screenshot Savant – Submit a screenshot of your character celebrating Rift’s half-birthday in the least appropriate spot (or fashion) for a party in Telara. He or she who parties the hardest wins the prize!
It's always good seeing developers of persistent worlds engaging with their community like this. Are you still playing Rift? If so, drop us a line in the Comments section about your experiences with it.

Also, click here for a full run-down of competition rules.

mmorpgrifttrioncompetitionsix month birthday

Trauma
Posted 12:03pm 25/8/11
Whit what, it has Aussie servers!? Since when!?
Dan
Posted 12:06pm 25/8/11
Heh, that was my fault Trauma, had it mixed up with Runes of Magic, since Steve or I play neither. Fixed.
Trauma
Posted 12:08pm 25/8/11
Awwww got my hopes up, I stopped playing cuz I still got massive on peak lag once my free month was up.
Steve Farrelly
Posted 12:25pm 25/8/11
haha eek
BladeRunner
Posted 01:04pm 25/8/11
I should probably log into rift again and see whats happening and download a bunch of patches.
LOTUK
Posted 04:23pm 25/8/11
Rift didn't pass my jump test so I didn't renew my sub. In that when the character jumps and falls, their animation sucks. If the character doesn't move convincingly then I find it hard to get immersed in the game.

WoW's characters, while dated move fluidly with the world. But I'm keeping figures crossed for Guild Wars 2. Last video looked convincing.

Star wars on the other hand....... at least it's star wars :-\
Posted 04:44pm 25/8/11
Just found this site when I went looking for stats on how many people play which MMO, to get an idea what Rift's subscriber base is like.

Got this graph from there, it shows where Rift is at, not doing too badly on the whole. The Warhammer and Age of Conan launch spikes are pretty amusing though :P

TicMan
Posted 04:50pm 25/8/11
Hoggy made me buy Rift and then left me high and dry when he decided to quit.
Raider
Posted 05:16pm 25/8/11
even rift is starting to get that massive drop back down after the peak just like warhammer.
Reverend Evil
Posted 05:56pm 25/8/11

WoW's characters, while dated move fluidly with the world.

LOL

I was the same. The characters don't feel right when fighting and running around so I gave up on it. I really wanted to get into it but in the end I just couldn't.
Trauma
Posted 07:00pm 25/8/11
I never had an issue with the jumping/animations, for me it was the ISP specific lag issues and that I think WoW burned me out on this type of MMO. Rift is a WoW clone, but a good one.