We've taken LIFX lighting through the gaming and entertainment ringer. Does it amplify the experience?
LIFX x Razer Chroma Connect Review - Illuminating Gaming
Like the Strogg enemies of Quake II, this Frankenstein-like mishmash of old and new breeds killer results.
Quake II RTX - Shining a Light on id Software's Classic
Aussie-made Speaking Simulator is a wild ride in the simulation gaming world, but can it complete its sentence in full?
Tongue in Android Cheek - Speaking Simulator Review!
We sit down with Typhoon Studios’ Alex Hutchinson to talk about the studio’s first game, comedy, co-op, and striving to be the fourth-best.
Journey to the Savage Planet - Developer Interview
Post by Dan @ 11:46am 24/06/11 | 44 Comments
On the back of their recent addition of free-to-play games on Steam Valve have now announced that their very own popular online shooter Team Fortress 2 has now joined the ranks as a Free to Play game.
The F2P announcement comes as part of the "Über Update". Released today, it is the largest content pack delivered to TF2 since it shipped in 2007.

New players interested in experiencing what PC Gamer calls "the most fun you can have online" will have access to training and offline practice modes, so they can hone their skills before jumping into the ever-expanding TF2 universe.
It looks like their press release might have jumped the gun a little as the "more information link http://www.teamfortress.com/freetoplay doesn't appear to be active yet (or the TF2 site is just getting hammered).

For more information about the Uber Update itself, head over to teamfortress.com and for details on Steam's other currently offered free to play games, check out the Steam Free to Play site.

They're also released a new "Meet the Medic" trailer. Check that out below or click here for HD

team fortress 2free to play
Buy now from SteamEU

Midda
Posted 11:49am 24/6/11
Wait, so TF2 no longer costs anything? Valve are giving TF2 away for free? If that's the cast, that's amazing.
FaceMan
Posted 11:56am 24/6/11
I downloaded this ages ago and wasnt able to play it because you had to pay first.
I just started it up and now I can play it.

As The Miz would say...

AWESOME
Midda
Posted 11:57am 24/6/11
Posted 12:01pm 24/6/11
That Meet the Medic trailer is sooooooooooo good, it makes me want to jump right back into TF2 and start playing
Eorl
Posted 12:01pm 24/6/11
Lock my thread if ya want Dan. Beat ya to it there :P I reckon this is gonna be awesome, fresh meat. Just want to know how hackers will be dealt with. Vac can take ages to work it's magic.
Dan
Posted 12:05pm 24/6/11
Cheers, I got slowed down uploading the trailer :(

So awesome of Valve though, those guys just keep earning the good will. Really hoping for Steam on Xbox next (but not holding my breath).
DM
Posted 12:07pm 24/6/11
Yup they need to make a TF2 movie using that style.
sLaps_Forehead
Posted 12:07pm 24/6/11
so how are they getting their income, exactly?
greazy
Posted 12:07pm 24/6/11
Have we meet everyone now? My favorite is the sniper.
Midda
Posted 12:09pm 24/6/11
so how are they getting their income, exactly?

Well, for starters, they make money off every damn sale on Steam, so it doesn't matter.

But they have a store in TF2 where people can buy hats and weapons. They'll make plenty of money there.

Have we meet everyone now? My favorite is the sniper.

Still waiting for Meet the Pyro.
Snakeman
Posted 12:10pm 24/6/11
^^^ Because so many people are buying update packs and hats. You can still get all the weapons for free, you just have to wait for them to drop or craft them. Smart marketing IMO.
Steve Farrelly
Posted 12:18pm 24/6/11
that trailer was the tits!
Tiny
Posted 12:20pm 24/6/11
Ok that trailer was f*****g awesome.
Eorl
Posted 12:24pm 24/6/11
The only thing I would ever buy, is the 99c pins. The money goes directly to the map makers, and you get a lovely pin.
Reverend Evil
Posted 12:33pm 24/6/11
F*** me that medic vid was awesome. Makes me wanna play but I'm not going to.
The GuVna
Posted 12:40pm 24/6/11
The best thing about TF2 Updates as that they "secretly" (i.e. don't mention it in the changelog) add new misc dialog for all the characters, always a refreshing moment when you're just playing and a teammate character says something randomly that you've never heard before. And they're always funny :)

22min til lupdate, go go internet tubes
ravn0s
Posted 12:50pm 24/6/11

the community members that made weapons and hats also get money. when they first introduced the store some of them got $40,000+.

lots of people on steam forums b****ing about free to play. hilarious!

edit: steam forums keep crashing :/

last edited by ravn0s at 12:50:17 24/Jun/11
blaze0041
Posted 12:56pm 24/6/11
Free
Backpack: 50 slots
Items: Standard
Crafting: Limited blueprints
Trading: Receive items only
Gifting: Can receive gifts

Premium
Backpack: 300 slots (expandable up to 1000)
Items: Standard, Rare and Cosmetic
Crafting: All blueprints
Trading: Full trading
Gifting: Can give and receive gifts
"EVERYTHING ELSE IS THE SAME"

This game has just gotten alot more interesting with this update...
ravn0s
Posted 12:57pm 24/6/11
premium also gets a free proof of purchase hat
deeper
Posted 01:03pm 24/6/11
completely rad, i got over the game at about 400 hours though - got my moneys worth :p
The GuVna
Posted 01:06pm 24/6/11
If Valve add "boots" or "Jackets" to team fortress 2, they would probably earn enough money to get U.S. out of debt :)
DK
Posted 01:34pm 24/6/11
hmm why are they doing this? Attract more people to the steam platform? Anyway it's pretty awesome
d^
Posted 02:19pm 24/6/11

Also in related news, ArmA 2 is free to play as well, some restrictions - http://www.arma2.com/free

Seems the f2p model is the way to go now days.
greazy
Posted 02:27pm 24/6/11
Do the people who bought the game when it wasn't free get anything? A hat or a shiny hammer or something to make us feel special.
Pirroh
Posted 02:30pm 24/6/11
You get a hat I believe.
Eorl
Posted 02:32pm 24/6/11
Proof of Purchase hat. I reckon Free to Play is the way to go, and seems to get the most money for developers.
ravn0s
Posted 02:46pm 24/6/11

they added solly boots to the game in the solly vs demo update. over time they've added others like the scout shoes and another pair of solly boots in this update. the demo also got the wee booties in this update. they've also added a different jacket for the solly in this update.
Enska
Posted 03:12pm 24/6/11
So do we get the premium service because we've already purchased it or what?
ravn0s
Posted 03:13pm 24/6/11
Snakeman
Posted 04:01pm 24/6/11
Nice update, but I just checked the price to get every new item at once and its $99.99 US. Might hang back for a bit and see if I can get some new items in the drop.
ravn0s
Posted 04:04pm 24/6/11
i would have bought it for $50. $100 is a bit too much.
DeadlyButters
Posted 06:10pm 24/6/11
tf2, f2p, you can just tell tht hackers will be all over this like a pack of rats and the vac s*** wont do crap!!
and besides i havent played in a couple of months so im guessing there would be some stupid 3 gb bulls*** update to download just to get it to the latest version!!
parabol
Posted 06:34pm 24/6/11
I actually have some trouble understanding why people would spend that amount of money on in-game items, in TF2 as well as other games like WoW. I know that some people might believe there is value in such items, I just don't understand the 'why'. I try to be open-minded, but I just can't understand.

last edited by parabol at 18:34:12 24/Jun/11
Reality
Posted 06:38pm 24/6/11
INCOMING HACKERS
DK
Posted 08:07pm 24/6/11
Anyone else downloading @ only 50-100kb/s ?
DeadlyDav0
Posted 09:17pm 24/6/11

I dont understand either but i play HON and i would say most players have paid money for special superficial unlocks like new character models or special avatar images. I figure its a smart move by valve, TF2 sales are probably pretty slow so anybody who doesnt already have it will pick this up and i guess a large number of them will buy the extra weapons and stuff instead of unlocking them.
Snakeman
Posted 11:41pm 24/6/11
Anyone else downloading @ only 50-100kb/s ?

Dude this use to happen to me all the time. I just set my downloads to come from Singapore and I get 800kps
Basket
Posted 07:46pm 25/6/11
ha genius the amount of new players that will bring there hard earned $$$ and spend it on hats/keys will be huge

last edited by Basket at 19:46:51 25/Jun/11
d0mino
Posted 08:09pm 25/6/11
anyone know how to get the data un metered on bogpond cable for mac?
Phooks
Posted 08:45pm 25/6/11
i've been lagging heaps lately, ping of like 200ms..
yeahnuh
Posted 08:52pm 25/6/11
this should please nerf
Hemerage
Posted 01:16am 26/6/11

Champ!
Went from 50 to 500 :)
DL keeps getting suspended though.... servers getting flogged, can't handle the load.
Mitch
Posted 05:25pm 26/6/11
so...for people that paid for the game... do we get something that F2P doesnt?
Sc00bs
Posted 05:28pm 26/6/11

cheers mate ive been having this problem for months.

Great that we have to chose some asian country ages away to get decent download speeds.