Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by BillyHardball @ 10:27am 07/06/11 | 58 Comments
During Apple's much anticipated World Wide Developers' Conference (WWDC) 2011, some huge software changes were announced, including the upcoming versions of their mobile software, iOS5, and their desktop OS, Lion. Features of iCloud were also announced, offering users the ability to stream any music from from Apple's iTunes store if they also have a copy (ripped or purchased) in their own library.

iOS offers over 200 new features, which include the much overdue notifications (which look very, very slick), wireless syncing with your computer, an awesome little iOS to iOS chat app integrated with the SMS app, twitter neatly integrated into the OS, plus superficially looks like a more powerful version of their mobile iOS. Amongst the stack of new features, of notable mention are Auto Save and Revisions:
Auto Save in OS X Lion automatically saves your work, while you work, during pauses and every five minutes. [...] With an interface similar to that of Time Machine, Versions shows you the current document next to a cascade of previous versions.
Another notable feature of Lion is "AirDrop", which allows Lion users to wirelessly transfer files without needing to even be on the same network:
Looking for a fast way to share files with people nearby? With AirDrop, you can send files to anyone around you wirelessly — no Wi-Fi network required. And no complicated setup or special settings. Just click the AirDrop icon in the Finder sidebar, and your Mac automatically discovers other AirDrop users within about 30 feet of you. To share a file, simply drag it to someone’s name. Once accepted, the fully encrypted file transfers directly to that person’s Downloads folder.

Perhaps the most hotly anticipated announcement concerned Apple's new cloud service, iCloud. iCloud will be heavily integrated into iOS5 and Lion, and will essentially keep all the files on a single user's multiple Apple devices in perfect sync. I think the most interesting feature of iCloud is probably iTunes Match, which, for US$25/year, will give you access to pretty much your entire music library everywhere you go, without having to upload your files (as you would with Amazon's similar service):
Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.
There's plenty of other stuff to check out at http://www.apple.com/ that will keep owners of pretty much any Apple device very happy for a while to come. promoted/edited forum item

appleitunesiosiphone

BillyHardball
Posted 10:43am 07/6/11
I should have mentioned the fantastic looking feature of iCloud called Photo Stream.
Take a photo on an iOS device or import a photo from your digital camera to your computer, and iCloud automatically sends a copy of the photo over any available Wi-Fi network (or Ethernet) to the Photos app on your iOS devices, iPhoto on your Mac, the Pictures Library on your PC, and the Photo Stream album on your Apple TV. [...] When photos are sent to your iOS device, they appear in a Photo Stream album that holds a rolling collection of your last 1000 photos. iCloud stores new photos for 30 days, so you have plenty of time to connect your device to Wi-Fi and get your most recent shots.

Furthermore, purchased music, apps, books, and Photo Stream don't count towards your free 5GB of storage in iCloud.

And for those interested in listening to music via the cloud, Apple's option seems far superior to the alternatives in terms of the way it works (with the huge caveat you have to use iTunes) and cost:
Posted 11:01am 07/6/11
iCloud being free is the best thing about it.
scuzzy
Posted 11:04am 07/6/11
huh? So it uses... adhoc wifi?
BillyHardball
Posted 11:04am 07/6/11
iCloud being free is the best thing about it.

It's only free if you only want to use 5GB. The details are far too light for me to really have an opinion about it yet, but at this stage I really can't seeing myself giving up Dropbox. However, I think iCloud is really just a syncing service, rather than an awesome backup/sharing/s***loads other stuff service like Dropbox.
Space Ninja
Posted 11:06am 07/6/11
worst wwdc update in history
Posted 11:09am 07/6/11

Yeah, for what it does/will do, I'm glad it's free either way.
TiT
Posted 11:58am 07/6/11
I see the app store has been upgraded on my iPhone
DM
Posted 12:01pm 07/6/11
iCloud. Are they even trying with names anymore? Just stick a i in front of a random word and BAM, apple app name.
Pinky
Posted 12:07pm 07/6/11
huh? So it uses... adhoc wifi?

Yeah, poorly written for a tech audience, typical of Apple's approach - treat people like they are stupid.

Scan and Match is an impressive cross-use of technologies and definitely something difficult for other services to offer - they are onto a winner there.

Thing about their marketing though - 'Weeks' for Amazon and Google upload is only a once-off. Once your library is up it's up. Then we are only talking 45MB per album thereafter, it's nothing these days. Scan and Match is obviously far more efficient, but it's not exactly a deal-breaker for looking at other services.

As for notifications - it's good, but they are really shameless about promoting such a rip-off feature.
Posted 12:16pm 07/6/11
The thing with the music part is it's not stored in your iCloud, because it's already stored in the iTunes Music Store...

Free gets you a lot.

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, and books, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. That leaves your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data. And since those things don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way.
TiT
Posted 12:40pm 07/6/11
the problem with the iOS5 is that will put more strain on our Phone provider and our data will just disappear
scuzzy
Posted 12:42pm 07/6/11

the problem with the iOS5 is that will
put more strain on our Phone provider and our data will just disappear
or only use features when connected to wifi.
BillyHardball
Posted 12:44pm 07/6/11

Definitely seems that way - glad I have 2GB per month but that might not even be enough considering I always have ~30gig of data on my phone. However I think they'll take this into consideration, most likely allowing a lot of stuff to only happen when connected to wifi. For example, you can't currently download a podcast that's more than 20MB via 3G. Hopefully there'll be options in the settings to allow background syncing over wifi only.
Raven
Posted 12:54pm 07/6/11
While we're on apple related things, but a little unrelated - when are we going to see WiDi for the MacBook Pro?
simul
Posted 01:35pm 07/6/11
Yeah was at the WWDC keynote - average one this year - Steve wasn't looking too good either. Not the worst WWDC keynote ever by far (Schiller in 09 was painful to sit through). But definitely pissed a lot of people off by copying, not necessarily a bad nor good thing, but chatting to some of the devs they ripped off they weren't happy.

Thats typical WWDC. They public (appeasing traditional media) keynote is followed by 6 hours of NDA sessions of "what it really is", and then another 4 days of Apple Engineers going through stuff. Officially I can't say but I'm assuming everything was leaked already, but iCloud is looking very interesting indeed so far.
simul
Posted 01:39pm 07/6/11

Theres an option to only background download iCloud files via wifi.
Opec
Posted 01:50pm 07/6/11
To be fair, these days it'd be pretty hard to actually come up with anything new.... Android and even MS have closed the gap with Apple - especially for people that aren't already invested in iOS/Apple eco system. So it's no surprise that they focused most of the improvements on what they've got the market cornered i.e. the media market.

If I were iOS device users it'd be pretty happy with this update. But as Android users who had most / nearly all of these features already it's pretty meh for me. It'd be interesting to see if the iOS5 will basically be limited to only iPhone4 and up devices. Given that the iOS4 was pretty s*** for most iPhone3 users, I couldn't imagine they'll let this to be installed on those older handsets.
Posted 02:24pm 07/6/11
iOS 5 is compatible with 3GS/4, iPad 1/2 and iPod 3/4th gen.
Saint
Posted 02:48pm 07/6/11
Imagine how s*** it's going to run on a 3GS haha
Opec
Posted 02:50pm 07/6/11
iOS 5 is compatible with 3GS/4, iPad 1/2 and iPod 3/4th gen.

LOL yeah kinda like "Vista Ready" PCs....
Jayman
Posted 03:28pm 07/6/11
For me iOS 5 is mainly catch up on a lot of the features Apple has fallen behind on. And it's catch 22 for bringing new features they don't have, Apple get scolded either way. "LOL Apple doesn't even have feature X". Apple adds feature X. "ROFL they totally ripped that off from Y".

I think they did a good job of doing what Apple do, that is bring it all together really well, all nicely integrated, and let people who aren't using dropbox, picasa and the like start using cloud without even thinking about it, or having to signup and manage other services. Because while 95% of people here probably have and use all this stuff already, most of the people buying iPhones probably don't and they'll think it's amazing their photos show up on their computer / laptop / appletv, without them having to do a damn thing.

I was also impressed with the iTunes Match. For $25 It scans my "personal CD rips" lets me download those songs as if I'd bought those off iTunes...and without DRM? And download to any device and time. That's damn cheap and pretty impressive imo.

And no longer having to sync with iTunes thank goodness. That was the worst.

Oh and free messaging between iOS devices! Very nice. Reports are that wireless carriers knew nothing about this til the keynote: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/06/wireless_carriers_reportedly_surprised_by_apples_imessage_feature.html
Will that force SMS charges down i wonder?
Whoop
Posted 05:43pm 07/6/11

But typical apple users ARE stupid, well not really but they're probably not that tech savvy so work on the premise that stuff "just works". Technofreaks don't buy apple stuff (usually
Oh and free messaging between iOS devices!

Can you send messages through bluetooth? If it's not native I'm sure there'd be an app that enables you to send messages to any other device with that app on it sort of like winpopup (maybe ios is using bonjour messaging?)
copuis
Posted 06:36pm 07/6/11
iOS 5 is compatible with 3GS/4, iPad 1/2 and iPod 3/4th gen.

i'm guessing that apple means the touch, and not 3/4th gen ipods, (i know my only and only bit of apple hardware, the ipod classic or 6th gen is hardly going to get this)

i love the way the re-use name, as if to forget,

it is worse than the star wars (naming) saga

and as for the free messaging between iOS, i wonder how that will work, is it like a DSi, where you need some form of web connection, (because i would hardly call it free, MSN does the same thing and i can get that on my 5yo gps)

i know it is a nit pick, but they shouldn't call it "free" unless it is

(ie, blackberry messenger used to advertise it as unlimited messaging as the devices handle the data differently)
Eorl
Posted 06:36pm 07/6/11
Always an app for everything.
TicMan
Posted 06:40pm 07/6/11
huh? So it uses... adhoc wifi?

Will probably be Bluetooth I'd say.
Boxhead
Posted 08:20pm 07/6/11
Well with the amazon mp3 downloader, auto placing stuff into itunes isn't hard.. that and amazon has pretty competitive prices on a great deal of albums.. The itunes strangle hold on the music market is slowly coming loose which is a good thing both interms of pricing for consumers which will have a direct correlation to 'pirates' and sales, and the attitude that record companies/ media producers will view the online market place..
Jayman
Posted 08:48pm 07/6/11
iTunes Match seems to be US only (at least at first). And given how we generally get screwed over on anything to do with online licensing / publishing crap like Netflix and online bookstores I'm sure as hell not getting my hopes up. :(
BillyHardball
Posted 08:54pm 07/6/11
RE AirDrop:
AirDrop will be based on peer-to-peer networking, thus simplifying setup. The new system has some similarities to Bonjour, Apple’s “service discovery” system for networked computers, printers and other devices, and to third-party “zero-configuration” networks like Hamachi, but unfortunately, will not be available outside of one’s own Wi-Fi network.

Info from here: http://gigaom.com/apple/share-documents-easily-with-airdrop/

Hmmm my impression was that iTunes Match Beta was US only... I'd be disappointed if it wasn't available in Australia (even at a slightly more expensive rate) - now you've got me worried.
Dazhel
Posted 09:09pm 07/6/11
Oh well, say bye bye to my 3GS once this comes out :(

Also, whoever was domain squatting on www.icloud.com must be sipping pina colada's on a beach somewhere and lighting cigars with $100 bills right about now.
kappa
Posted 09:08pm 07/6/11
I'm missing out with this fkn 3G!
Clinkz
Posted 09:41pm 07/6/11
A lot of interesting features, not new ideas though, still waiting for Apple to do something innovative again..
trog
Posted 09:12am 08/6/11
http://copyrightandtechnology.com/2011/06/07/icloud-cuckoo-land/ is an interesting read, discussing some of the technical stuff behind their cloud offering and how it differs to Google/Amazon
Posted 09:12am 08/6/11
Installed it. Many of the features are a relief more than any "new".

Pretty laggy at times which is expected in a beta. When you sync, you can still use the phone which is cool. Unfortunately wireless iTunes sync is disabled atm for some reason.

Notifications center is pretty much what you expect. Tweeting from within apps is pretty handy.
TiT
Posted 09:19am 08/6/11
i dont tweet but facebook :(
BillyHardball
Posted 09:31am 08/6/11
Installed it.

I assume you're talking about a developers only deal?
i dont tweet but facebook :(

Same here, but having twitter integrated into my iPhone will probably be what starts me using twitter.
Posted 09:37am 08/6/11
Yeah got a mate of mine to put his UDID in his account. My dev enrolment expired a long time ago.
Posted 09:42am 08/6/11
Oh, and the Weather app and widget in the notifications center finally does location aware weather. I've basically deleted everything and just left in the "Local Weather" option.
teq
Posted 11:13am 08/6/11

Posted 11:36am 08/6/11
You can set a bunch of notification options for each app. Mail by default doesn't show any alert except for the pull down alert, but I changed it to show the banner and also show in the lock screen.

Posted 11:42am 08/6/11
So it turns out none of my e-mails have been sending from my Gmail accounts on iOS 5. Just silently not sending. WTF.
Opec
Posted 02:12pm 08/6/11
Personally I find lock screen widgets annoying. I'm happy with LED light notification or there's this app for Android called NoLED which can display simple colour LED dots or icons the represent notification (which will also show you how many of x notification you get). Very configurable and enough for me.
Raven
Posted 02:15pm 08/6/11
I tend to agree that a locked screen should not show messages that come in. It's locked for a reason.
Posted 02:38pm 08/6/11
You can turn message preview off so all you get is a "New Text Message".
BillyHardball
Posted 03:36pm 08/6/11

Yeh never thought about that before. I would like to see things like notifications for new SMS/emails and calendar events, though.
Whoop
Posted 07:34pm 08/6/11

I don't know about you paranoid tinfoil hat types but my screen is locked simply so I don't accidentally phone russia & end up married (or with a $10,000 phone bill). I don't lock my screen for privacy concerns because I leave my phone in my pocket, I'm not some show boating tool who sits my phone on the table for everyone to look at and marvel over at omigawd look teh smaert phoenz!

teq posted: some f*****ry image macro stolen from 4chan I'll bet

Triamks
Posted 11:20pm 08/6/11
i dont tweet but facebook :(

You can get twitter for facebook so your tweets appear on your wall. The politicians I follow have. It makes sense as they can reach their audience with the same message just once.

Sometimes it looks weird with the mentions & the character limit but it's at least something.
Opec
Posted 06:47am 09/6/11
i dont tweet but facebook :(

There isn't any reason for Apple to not do this with Facebook at well, as I can see it these two are still pissy at each other over the Ping Facebook app that came out last year. Sucks if you're an Apple and Facebook user...
Spook
Posted 07:01am 09/6/11

true story!
Posted 07:58am 09/6/11
To be honest, I'm technically a Technofreak; a programmer, graphic designer, etc and one thing that Apple has convinced me about is that even us rather computer literate shouldn't have to care.

I personally would rather something simple as sin to use so I don't has to f*** around. Then again, I'm not so much the type to need to customize everything to the nth degree as well.

Dropbox mapped to a Windows/Mac folder is a good example of that. iCloud appears to be another.

Unless you mean something altogether different with "Technofreak".

last edited by 3dee at 07:58:55 09/Jun/11
jmr
Posted 08:43am 09/6/11
I'm with you 3dee, I am similar but that doesn't mean you need to spend your life getting s*** how you like it
TiT
Posted 08:47am 09/6/11
Yeah same 3dee, i am system Administrator (windows) and customization is all good and fun but what i like about my iphone is that it just works. I have never had to reboot it (have had 3GS & 4). sometimes i need to close down apps but other then that it works. With my iphone 4 had home button issues went to apple store and they instantly replaced it.. i dont think would be that fast wtih nokia or anyother brand?
Jayman
Posted 01:11pm 09/6/11

Our international readers wanted to know if iTunes Match will be available outside of the US. Unfortunately, for now, iTunes Match is limited to US iTunes Store users. While the service may eventually be available to users in other parts of the world, it will require inking agreements with record labels, music publishers, and other rightsholders for each separate country or region. Apple may be in the process of doing that now, but the company said there is nothing to announce regarding availability of iTunes Match outside the US at this time.
TiT
Posted 01:14pm 09/6/11
OWNED!
Jayman
Posted 01:30pm 09/6/11
US only services s*** me to tears. We miss out on so much.
Posted 02:24pm 09/6/11
And when I say I prefer things that work to things that require me to f*** around with my advanced computer knowledge, I'm not just talking about Apple, I'm talking about a lot of "services" and "software".

As a programmer, it s**** me to tears when some other software or whatever is designed by a bunch of monkeys on crack, or when endless settings and required computer knowledge is designed into the software. Software should be fundamentally easy to use relative to the technicality of the task.

last edited by 3dee at 14:24:30 09/Jun/11
Whoop
Posted 06:50pm 09/6/11
Yep, 3dee gets what I'm talking about.

Uber nerd living in mom's basement: my f*****g TOILET is running the latest version of every OS.

Technofreaks: PC hardware, linux/unix (yes I know osx is unix) or windows, macs are for f*****s, unless you've hacked it & put windows/linux on it.

Moderately techyr: PC, probably windows, possibly macbook because they're better than dell's hardware wise

Moderately noob: Dell because windows runs the majority of programs & they (apparently) have decent warranty (I've never had to find out).

Noob users: mac's because their technofreak friends don't want to have to fix their s*** so told them to buy a mac so they could say "I dunno man, I'm a linux guy, go call apple" when it breaks :p
BillyHardball
Posted 06:51pm 09/6/11
I don't think that's what 3dee was talking about at all...
3x0dus
Posted 07:31am 10/6/11
I have ios5 on my 3GS it runs okish, def not a huge change visually but some good especially notifications.

The new reading list is a nifty idea in safari, and notifications are nice. I'm not really a tweeter, but the integration is non obtrusive.

last edited by 3x0dus at 07:31:24 10/Jun/11