A look at Stay in the Light, from one-man studio Sunside Games. Designed specifically for NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Stay in the Light – Indie Horror Powered by Ray-Tracing
198X is endearing, and how it presents a compilation of sorts of an era is something that leaves a positive if not lasting impression.
198X Review - Coming of Age in the Arcade Era
We sit down with Blizzard to discuss the creation of its visually striking new zones – Nazjatar and Mechagon.
From Concept to Screen – World of Warcraft's Rise of Azshara
Techland's next parkour leap into Dying Light takes 'post-apocalyptia' to a new level as we explore...
Dying Light 2 - Renaissance Mad Max
Post by trog @ 09:45am 20/05/11 | 9 Comments
Good news for fans of the Armed Assault series this morning with Bohemia shooting out a press releasing confirming that they're working on new title in their popular series of realistic tactical shooters:
* Single-Player Campaign - Evolve from a lone prey into a military commander in the open-ended & story-driven campaign.
* Vehicles & Weapons - Control a multitude of aircraft, vehicles and ships with accurate simulation; shoot anything from pistols to sophisticated weapon platforms.
* Physical Simulation & Improved Animations - Take advantage of PhysXT supported vehicle simulation, in-game interactions and the revamped animation system.
* Rich & Authentic Environment - Explore an unsurpassed military combat experience set on an authentic Mediterranean island modelled from real geographic data.
* Multiplayer Gameplay - Experience both cooperative & competitive scenarios with the full support of dedicated servers for both Windows and Linux.
* Completely Extensible & Moddable - Design & create countless customizable scenarios using the intuitive & easy-to-use mission editor.
* Customizable Soldier Load - Choose your uniform; assemble your weapon kit; change your load-out; get loaded up.
Great to note special attention paid to dedicated servers in the main feature list of the first press release - maybe people are starting to take notice!

A few screenshots have been released, which you can check out on our game page. The game will be shown off at E3 - we will, of course, be there - so expect plenty more details coming soon.

armed assaultarma3e3 2012
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£19.99!

GunnerMcDagget
Posted 10:05am 20/5/11
They actually carried out an extremely detailed ARG leading up to the announcement that was very interesting, and not all clues of the ARG were solved but those that were hinted at details of the story. Looks interesting, just hopefully they hire some good voice actors for once.
ShwaMiller86
Posted 10:44am 20/5/11
All good and well, but will they be using the same s***** code from 2001, rewritten, rewritten, rewritten? Most horribly unoptimised games around. Hopefully they'll implement functioning multi-core support this time.

They seriously, seriously need to get a new engine.

All that being said... its just so realistic and addictive. *sigh*
Trauma
Posted 11:44am 20/5/11

Do you mean dedi servers or highlighting it in the press release because BIS have always had dedi servers and a server browser with any gay s*** added in... also there are now two threads on this announcement.
Kf
Posted 01:23pm 20/5/11

As Shwamilller86 says above... the engine they use is absolute crap.

Pinky
Posted 01:41pm 20/5/11
just hopefully they hire some good voice actors for once.

Enemy...rifleman...at....6 o'clock. Enemy....anti-tank solider....at....3 o'clock.

I liked Trauma's thread better. He deserved news promotion achievement IMO. hi5 Trauma!

Everytime BIS bring out a new version the improvements are great. It's more stable, higher detail and better animation system, etc. If they keep going on the same path they will have an absolute blinder of a war sim soon enough.

Last attempt with ArmA II was still buggy as hell, but it's definitely getting better with improvements in the GUI and AI and what have you.
HurricaneJim
Posted 01:55pm 20/5/11
Hmm.... being a long time OP flashpoint (original one) and ARMA/ARMA2 supported I'm not excited by this news at all.... I wont actually be buying ARMA3 because I've been burned too many times now.As Shwamilller86 says above... the engine they use is absolute crap. I've purchased all the ARMA games and expansions and the only campaign I've been able to finish is the ARMA2 original one.Currently attempted to play through PMC coop campaign with a friend and only got to mission 5 after hours of painful bugs and issues... and these arent even related to performance (mainly save games and other bugs).So I've purchased every game since original OPFlash and enjoyed them to an extent, but just over the bugs, unpolished and slow performing engine. As an example, my Quad core @ 3.8Ghz and dual GTX275 are often at less than 60% usage and I still get 20fps MAX in the campaigns, yet if I play in the editor the FPS goes to 60fps... the engine simply doesnt use the resources available in any missions with AI/scripts.

Hence the reason why I only payed $25 for ArmaII, OA, BAT and PMC.
Kf
Posted 02:00pm 20/5/11
I bought the ARMA2 DVD and the OA DVD... then when the two DLC came out (British and PMC) I purchased the whole pack on Steam and sold the two DVD copies (still have OPFlash from back in 2001 lol).

ARMA2 coop campaign was great but we went through numerous bugs and reports to actually finish it.

OA coop sucked as you played it totally different areas, crap.

British didnt have coop campaign and PMC went back to good coop campgain as featured in ARMA2.

However the bugs STILL PERSIST in PMC, which is the latest release less than 1 year old.

We are at mission 5 and cant finish the game because of all the bugs, I've submitted CIT to their bug tracker and they are "being investigated"... so basically cant finish or play the game, prob wont finish before ARMA3 hits.

I love the concept, and what they are doing but its just too buggy to pay $ for. The performance is a totally different issue, but it sux too.
Trauma
Posted 02:20pm 20/5/11
I've actually never finished any campaign in any Arma game/ex pack/DLC, it's for a lack of interest I have many hours logged in Arma but cuz I see the value of Arma in the MP and MOD side of things.

While there was some persistent bugs early on I very rarely have issues in MP myself, performance is good enough on my modest system but details could be higher, it really comes down to how you play Arma, so much choice, soon to be so much more.

I don't care for the achievement, I want to list some questions for Steve/Trog/Dan who ever to ask at E3, dunno which thread will get noticed. But hi5 no less :D
Kf
Posted 02:25pm 20/5/11
Indeed, those who play ARMA for the MP mainly dont see as many bugs... but the issue is that the game is sold and advertised with extensive campaigns (as is the cas again in ARMA3) and these campaigns have sometimes game stopping bugs.

The coop campaign play is even worse. in our case we play ARMA for the coop campaigns, its fun playing with a mate and doing the missions, this is our main purpose as we dont have the time for MP.

So for us ARMA fails and ARMA3 does not excite us.