Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by kr0wb4r @ 03:46am 10/05/11 | 20 Comments
Valve's Gabe Newell has told gamers to expect no more episodic content in a recent interview with develop online:
Valve has concluded its experiment with episodic game content, the studio’s president has said.
Gabe Newell told Develop that the episodic development philosophy has been replaced wholesale by the ‘games as a service’ model.
Basically they've ditched the Episodic concept and their new model is to continually update games the way they do with Team Fortress 2.

This may sound like bad news for those who have been hanging out for a Half-life: Episode 3, but obviously doesn't rule out new complete games in the franchise. The in-depth article discussing Valve's new manifesto can be found here. promoted/edited forum item

gabe newellvalve

parabol
Posted 03:58am 10/5/11
Asked if he thought the episodic games model was a success, Newell said: “I think that we accelerated the model and shortened development cycles with it”.

What. No you didn't.
ctd
Posted 04:15am 10/5/11
Cool article. Interesting to see how they do it. Valve are pretty much the only studio you can trust to consistently make fun games.

What is L4D2 Versus modes like now? Should maybe reinstall and check it out if they have added features/bug fixes since release.
Bah
Posted 04:54am 10/5/11
Why would they bother with an "episodes" model these days anyway when some developers release "full games" with 4 hour campaigns?
Nerfington
Posted 05:45am 10/5/11

TBH I didn't much enjoy the atmosphere or gameplay of half life 2, which has sort of been their flagship product for a while now, and as such am probably going to be shunned and beaten as a pariah.

(Thought it was technically impressive, just absolutely nothing like the first one. Didn't enjoy the inclusion of character story as it got really awkward with the whole mute character thing, and I missed the sequential grand-puzzle-nature of escaping from a secret semi-abandoned science facility, with both soldiers and aliens trying to kill you, and the occasional team ups with a random scientists or security guard... sigh that game was awesome).

Love Portal1+2, CS:S, HL1, & L4D2 though. :D
Posted 05:50am 10/5/11
Their episodic model wasn't really episodes anyway, they took as long to make an "episode" as most companies take to make an entire game.
Enska
Posted 06:39am 10/5/11
Yeah I only ever looked at them as episodes in name only. Still was a full fledged game in my books.
kos
Posted 07:21am 10/5/11
TBH I didn't much enjoy the atmosphere or gameplay of half life 2

Exactly the same for me, the game was well fleshed out and polished and told a decent story, but I never loved it. It wasn't a bad game as such, I just never understood the unending love and praise it always received.
ravn0s
Posted 08:23am 10/5/11
This would come as bad news for those who have been hanging out for HL Episode 3.

its not really bad news. just means ep3 will most likely be hl3.
pARODY
Posted 09:00am 10/5/11
I had the displeasure of playing the Battle: Los Angeles game. 1.5 hours to complete on hard. :(
Dan
Posted 09:08am 10/5/11
Yeah, I was going to promote this as news, when I remembered that fact and realised that the statement "Valve has concluded its experiment with episodic game content" was utterly redundant and non-news.

I also don't see how they can just "continually update games the way they do TF2". Sure, that works for TF2 and would work for L4D (if they didn't already release that sequel) and will also work for Dota2, but they're all multiplayer games.

That kind of post-release evolution doesn't really apply to story-driven singleplayer games does it? Can anyone see Portal 2 evolving the way TF2 did over the next few years? Sure there'll be community contributions and more expanded content, but I don't see any fundamental changes and improvements to the core game coming.
implode
Posted 09:14am 10/5/11
HL1 was pretty amazing, I don't think HL2 was as enjoyable, but there is no denying it was still brilliant. The tech behind it was brilliant, the physics were really what made the game for me. I don't think I have enjoyed a game as much as HL1 & HL2. Here's hoping HL3 is a masterpiece!

I also hope that HL3 has heaps more emphasis on deathmatch. They had a brilliant engine to play with, & they released what, four maps? WTF! No MP has come close to the fun of nailing people with a flying toilet or pinning them to a wall with the crossbow etc...
Dazhel
Posted 09:20am 10/5/11

Crossbow, yes, but you lost me at the gravity gun. :(
Bring back the old HLDM days...
Sommescum
Posted 09:52am 10/5/11
TF2 is just the same old same old, as will be Brink. I mean how many years has it been since Quake TF for them to get it right.
The only noticable deviation to the TF format IMO was ET:QW.

I was hoping that HL2:Ep3 would continue with the innovations to story-telling and game-play. Not being a corporate entity, I have absolutely NO interest in evaluating development cycles or determining marketing strategies. As a paying customer want the product to work well and ENTERTAIN me, for a reasonable price. I don't want to have an on-going role in the success of the franchise - I don't want to be a peg for the success of Valve's corporate image, the game is unfinished, I want the ending.

As I felt in the beginning, it turns out the "episode" strategy is a leverage for consumer engineering. Valve has made us change the way we consider buying. Perhaps they would do well with a T-shirt in their merch stating "Valve's b****" to celebrate the release of HL3
Nerfington
Posted 10:16am 10/5/11
I don't want to be a peg for the success of Valve's corporate image

A Valve dev has been quoted as saying that they're not really in it for the money, and that Gabe Newell could pay all of their salaries for decades without any new income at all. Don't know how true that is however.
deadlyf
Posted 11:03am 10/5/11
I loved episode 2, easily one of the best gaming experiences I've had but as far as original HL2 goes I think the praise comes from the fact that there aren't many games to compare it to and those that are compared to it came out after it. There really are very few good, story driven, single player FPS's and most of the best are RPG hybrids like Bioshock or Fallout 3.
Kf
Posted 11:06am 10/5/11
Probably quite true, Gabe is now super rich....

But I just wanted EP3 to come out, its shocking how long its taken them.

I dont care for L4D and portal was fun but lets get to the REALLY GOOD STUFF?

EP3 or HL3 come on!
kr0wb4r
Posted 01:22pm 10/5/11
Promoted forum item, suh-weeet, that only took me what, 10 years?
justrev
Posted 04:38pm 10/5/11
Promoted forum item, suh-weeet, that only took me what, 10 years?

props kr0b4r
Tags
Posted 05:24pm 10/5/11
HL3 better be worth all this wait.. its a joke that never got to the relese of Ep3.... ( Tagss Turns his back on them ) KF i agree with you.... Hurry the Fk up and lets see soem more G-Man... MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thermite
Posted 05:32pm 10/5/11

I don't understand how this applies to single player games like HL.

When the game comes out it has to be a complete playable game doesn't it? In a multiplayer game like TF2 it came out as fully playable and they added bits and pieces to change the gameplay and have more multiplayer maps. But if you do that for a single player campaign, aren't you effectively doing episodes?