We sit down with Game Director Jeff Kaplan and Lead Designer Geoff Goodman to discuss story versus PvP, sound design, Push, and the game’s interesting launch plans.
Overwatch 2 – The Big Interview
We've run Red Dead Redemption 2 through its PC paces as the series finally lands on the Desktop platform!
Red Dead Redemption 2 is Finally on PC - How Does it Fare?
We've taken to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order like a Womprat to sand. But how does it hold up?
Light or Dark? Our In-Depth Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Review
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 11:59am 27/04/11 | 11 Comments
In a move likely to disorient seasoned gamers, Team Bondi and Rockstar have set in motion an ability for players of L.A. Noire to skip action sequences upon a two-or-three failure credential, to continue to drive the narrative.

Most gamers know the annoyance of unskippable cut-scenes, but skippable action sequences seems almost like a backward step. Though in saying that, all of the media we've seen for L.A. Noire so far points to a massively cinematic experience, and this was demoed recently at the Tribeca Film Festival where the skippable action sequences nugget was revealed by art director, Rob Nelson. The game has already marked a difference in interactive story-telling as the first game ever shown at the festival, which is obviously heavily film-oriented.

Is this a prestigious move for games, or a backward step in gameplay? Supply thoughts in our Comments section

Check out the latest L.A. Noire gameplay trailer below as well, or click here for the HD streaming option.

l.a. noirerockstarteam bondi
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£8.97!

oddjob
Posted 12:14pm 27/4/11
IT better be on Pc
eski
Posted 12:28pm 27/4/11
I think its a reasonable idea for a story based game that doesnt rely solely on action.

It would seem kind of redundant in something like gears of war, but I think it will do well here. Not everyone is great at twitch gameplay and it seems kind of nice that they give you the option for people who just want to finish the game. It's not like they're forcing you to skip it, so what's the problem?

oddjob - it's not.

I also heard from someone that worked on it that the PS3 version is the way to go. Although after today's PSN news I'm not so sure.
Posted 12:19pm 27/4/11
Its a bit weird, I mean if you want to watch a movie go watch a movie. Whats the point in playing a game where you skip the gameplay bits?
eski
Posted 12:26pm 27/4/11
I think we're past the point in gaming where we the player needs to be punished for not having the skill to get through a certain section. It's like getting a walkthrough when you get stuck in an adventure game or going on the net for cheats. Just let me beat the game I've paid for on my own terms.

I've given up playing whole games because I can't be bothered getting past some roadblock in the gameplay, even though I'm moderately interested in the story. I recently stopped playing Metro 2033 for that exact reason. I'll probably go back, but perhaps not. I know a couple of people that played up to the last mission of GTA4, but never finished it because it was too hard, and never will. They subsequently went on youtube and watched the end cutscenes.
breno
Posted 01:43pm 27/4/11
I wish Mafia 1 had skippable action sequences on that damn race car level
Midda
Posted 01:55pm 27/4/11
The gameplay is pretty fun, I'm not sure why you'd want to skip it. It's optional though, so I don't really see what the big deal is.
trog
Posted 02:05pm 27/4/11
S*** I still haven't finished some of the missions in GTA: SA because I couldn't for the life of me get past them (damn gumby controller skillz). I would have liked a feature like that for some of those missions just so I could progress past certain storylines without having to try to do something 1221319283921 times!@#
fade
Posted 02:23pm 27/4/11
like the khe sahn mission on COD:BO veteran.
greazy
Posted 03:14pm 27/4/11

How old are you? If you are unable to get past a certain section of the game then the game is either badly designed, the game mode is too difficult for you, or you're just too lazy to actually try.

Sounds like the game needed alternative routes for different players.
like the khe sahn mission on COD:BO veteran.
hah
The GuVna
Posted 04:41pm 27/4/11
when i was a kid I had to play the video games the complete them.
carson
Posted 07:52pm 27/4/11
This is a good option. Especially for games like GTA:SA (as trog pointed out) and the crappy controls with certain certain missions on PC (f*****g remote control plane/helicopter missions). They got really frustrating quickly.