Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by trog @ 02:05pm 04/04/11 | 20 Comments
At GDC recently we got to check out a sneak peak of a new game gaming from Brisbane-based developers FreshTone Games that had a bit of a twist on the normal fare you might be used to. Their Canabalt-style title One Single Life gives you only one chance to play the game through - once you die in-game, you can't come back for a second attempt. You stand by the score you get on your first run for ever.

The goal is to create a much more intense feeling of anxiety than you'll get in other games, where your next life is only a 'load game' or a restart away. Check out our quick preview for our thoughts after a heart-thumping hands-on preview, and check out the teaser trailer below:

iphoneone single life

deadlyf
Posted 02:10pm 04/4/11
What's the replayability like?

Interesting idea but the thing I like about those games is pushing your high score. Also, you'd feel pretty cheated if you bought a game and only got to play for like 5 seconds because you made a simple mistake.
Outlaw
Posted 02:15pm 04/4/11
Saw this on the telly. I miss having HP instead of just redness on my screen. Some games genres have become so easy I find myself not caring or even looking at my health, just mindlessly running through.

On the other hand.. Lineage II, I remember playing all day/night only to die once and lose all my XP for that day.
Scooter
Posted 02:16pm 04/4/11
Whats worse then just Redness on the screen, it's when you duck behind a box and in 3 seconds *Presto!* you're back to full health.
ravn0s
Posted 02:18pm 04/4/11
good game had a segment last week about playing games where you only have 1 life. they talked to the dude who made this game. there's no way i would pay for it.
sudbobo
Posted 05:25pm 04/4/11
reminds me off that virtual world in the tv series caprica..once your dead you can't come back!

niche market for sure
Mongol
Posted 10:40pm 04/4/11
I like it! sweaty palms, nervousness. You can practice for as long as you need... but then not cracking under the pressure when you have to do it for real. Maybe a very low price tag may entice you to 'buy another life' if you've spent all that effort practicing, but die on the first jump.
Pinky
Posted 10:48pm 04/4/11
Yeah great idea. I'm mad keen on anyone that tries anything new - so good on 'em for having a crack and for stealing your green at the stand!
Mongol
Posted 10:48pm 04/4/11
Ohh wait... if it's somehow linked to your iTunes account that you can't buy it again? Can they do that?
ravn0s
Posted 10:52pm 04/4/11
pretty sure you can buy new lives. well that's what it looked like in the good game segment
Bah
Posted 10:53pm 04/4/11
Err of course they want you to be able to buy it again, they want to make money.
It'll be just like an arcade game, except on your iphone, pretty stupid from a consumer pov.
ViscoS
Posted 02:39am 05/4/11
Sometimes there's a reason something hasn't been done before.
trog
Posted 09:08am 05/4/11
They can lock it based on the hardware ID of your iphone so you can't play it again. There'll always be ways around it, but it probably won't be worth the effort for most people
The conversation I had with them indicated that buying it again probably wasn't on their feature list; it was going to be a one-shot game with a low price point, but there were still lots of decisions to be made.
Sc00bs
Posted 09:12am 05/4/11

yeah it would be more like the feeling of great anger and frustration, rather than anxiety and excitment only having 1 life
trog
Posted 09:12am 05/4/11
only if you're terrible at games :)
Sc00bs
Posted 09:13am 05/4/11
:S so its a game you get one life, play once, then tahts it....

sounds f***** lame
fpot
Posted 09:16am 05/4/11

This game also had only one life. You got more than one turn though :)
trog
Posted 09:32am 05/4/11
:S so its a game you get one life, play once, then tahts it....

sounds f***** lame
you're almost completely missing the point - which is that you get one life, play once, and then that's it. It is about evoking different feelings than you normally get when you buy a game and play it, and I think it works. For 99c or whatever it will end up costing I think it's worth it just to see what it's like to play a game that is a little different for a change.

But if you're not confident if your skillz then it's probably something to avoid. S***, I died on the first level, so I feel like I have to get it to make sure I don't f*** it up again.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 09:40am 05/4/11
This was on Good Game last week i think. Pretty cool idea. I dont see it appealing to the masses but i know the feeling of one life when i tried Diablo 2 in the one life mode. I also read about somebody who played Minecraft with a single life - when he died he would start a new game so watching out for enemies and lava became much more important.
Hogfather
Posted 09:45am 05/4/11
Not sure if I'm into a product you can only play once.

D3 hardcore mode makes me wet though.
evıs