This months issue of US print mag Game Informer
has an exclusive first-look at RAGE, the next all-new title from first person shooter veterens id Software (Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein). Non-subscribers don't fear because Shacknews
have extracted most of the tasty bits for us in bullet form.
- An engineering system to craft devices including sentry turrets and RC car bombs, if you have the blueprints and parts.
- Your health regenerates--a gift connected to your history.
- Races and missions are available from hub towns.
- Vehicular combat is a big part of racing, with power-ups and ammo placed around the courses.
- Weapon upgrades, such as a scope and aiming stabilisers for a crossbow.
- Alternate ammo types, including a crossbow bolt which allows you to briefly control victims before they explode.
- Stealth is an option in combat too.
- A gladiatorial game show named Mutant Bash TV offers big prize money.
- A car parts system allows boosts to areas such as acceleration, traction and suspension.
- Other car upgrades include bombs, a magnet to draw power-ups, tire shredders and EMP shields.
- Multiplayer modes are currently not finalised.
- One weapon is a three-tipped boomerang called the 'wingstick,' which will return.
- The PC version will offer higher resolutions, more anti-aliasing and faster texture page-in times, but the three versions are essentially the same.
Check out the full Shack article
for the rest.
Needless to say it's going to be interesting to see how gameplay handles all these new RPG elements, it certainly sounds a lot more in-depth than id shooters of the past.
The release date is still "when it's done", but optimists are pegging RAGE for a 2010 launch on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
With Quakecon 2009 kicking off on August 15, hopefully we'll have more details and media to share with you all then.