Valve Software have released a new Steam beta client, testing the addition of some more download regions for Australia and fixing a couple other bugs. The forum announcement post
has the info:
There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings, and on the Account tab will be a drop down. Select Steam Client Candidate, and then allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:
- Added more download regions for Australia
- Fixed several update news links for games going to the wrong page
- Added more information to the game launch display when first-time install steps are being ran
- Several Steamworks updates
- Fixed HL2.exe hanging on shutdown
I've just fired up the beta but I get nothing in the dropdown list which I'm guessing might be a bug, so stay tuned.
In response to these new changes in the Steam client, we've swapped a few emails with the Valve Software guys to figure out how these changes might affect Australians. Valve have confirmed to us that these settings will not guarantee
that your download comes from those servers. For example, if you select the region for your ISP (assuming there is one), Steam will use those servers if it can
- but in the event that it can't (for example, if the content isn't on those servers or the server is overloaded), you'll be directed to another server.
The practical upshot of this is that, at the current time, you need to be careful when downloading from Steam if you're on a limited download plan, as it is possible your downloads will be metered - even if you have set the region for your ISP. Beware!