A number of interesting news tidbits have emerged from Nintendo since E3 last month.
- Nintendo has stated the price for the Wii will not exceed US$250 (AUD$333): the exact launch price will be announced in September. Nintendo plan to ship 4 million Wii's worldwide before the end of 2006.
- The Wii's Virtual Console facility will contain newly developed games, at a cost between 500 - 1000 yen (AUD $5.85-$11.70). These new games are in addition to the lineup of classic games from the NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and SEGA Mega Drive.
- The Wii console will have functionality allowing demos to be downloaded to the DS. The demos will be delivered over the internet using the WiiConnect24 service.
- The DS Lite, a redesign of the DS with smaller form factor and brighter screens is now available in Australia. The Australian RRP is $199.95.
- Along with the DS Lite, the New Super Mario Bros. game for Nintendo DS (and Lite) is available nationwide. The game is classic 2D Mario - I can highly recommend it to anyone who grew up with Mario's earlier 2D adventures.