Today I am here to announce another dramatic change to RIFT – a change brought on by player feedback from surveys, community postings, in-game reports, and passionately written emails over the last two years. Starting June 12, with the release of RIFT 2.3: Empyreal Assault, RIFT is opening its business model to include Free to Play. Subscriptions will continue as an option as well for players who want additional benefits.While the MMO is transitioning to a free-to-play status it will still retain its subscribe option, offering more incentives to those taking up the monthly plan. Trion is also eager to point out that there will be no tricks or traps, ensuring that free-to-play means "players will have access to all game content – from dungeons and Warfronts to the latest raids – with no level restrictions."
A vast new world:You can check out the launch trailer below for a great overview of what to expect, or you can check out the official page for the full run down of what is coming in the expansion.
Adventure across two huge new continents that more than triple the size of the existing world Experience epic stories that reveal the true power in Telara ... and the gateway to the planes Make your move to the island city of Tempest Bay, a new stronghold for both Guardians and Defiant
10 more levels, 4 more souls:
A new Soul for each Calling expands the Ascended Class System - build the hero you want! Rise to new heights of power through 10 challenging levels, increasing the level cap to 60 Play your way! Choose how you level with questing and Instant Adventure everywhere, onslaughts, rifts, events, and more
“Work on Storm Legion literally began before the original game launched last year, so the development team had the rare opportunity to evolve the expansion alongside the live game.” said Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer and Trion’s Chief Creative Officer. “The result is shaping up to be a carefully crafted and extremely polished experience that will completely enthrall players.”Players who pre-order either standard or infinity will be granted a cape, plus early access to a dungeon called Exodus of the Storm Queen that will be available in mid-October.
Trion is offering Standard and Infinity Editions of the expansion, both of which grant players extra in-game items sure to set them apart from other Ascended. Additionally, those who buy through one of Trion’s digital or retail partners will receive one of five plane-themed capes.
EA’s direct-to-consumer gaming platform, will soon feature PC downloadable games from Trion Worlds, Robot Entertainment and nine other game publishers. Starting today, Trion’s MMORPG Rift™ is the first new title added to Origin for purchase and download by PC gamers, with many more titles coming soon.EA's persistence with Origin has been met with mixed emotions from gamers as some malign the need for yet another account and location for their online games, while others have been greatly impressed by the download speeds courtesy of EA's liberal use of the Akamai peering network.
Additional titles from publishers CD PROJEKT RED, Freebird Games, Recoil Games, Autumn Games, 1C Company, inXile entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Core Learning Ltd. and N3V Games will be available on Origin in the coming months.
Now the time has come for players to begin a fresh chapter in their Rift journey as new, sinister threats begin to emerge. Ashes of History kicks off the game’s next evolution with a host of new features and additional content, including post level-50 advancement, duo dungeons, a new Warfront, and much more.Do we have any regular Rift players here on AusGamers? And if so, feel free to jump into the Comments section and let us know if all of the above sounds the goods.
Features in the update include:
- Planar Attunement - Advance beyond level 50 with Planar Attunement. Every quest completed and planespawn slain brings you closer toyour next planar upgrade.
- Chronicles - Teams of two players (or one, if you’ve got the gear) can take on Rift Chronicles, exploring breathtaking dungeons — including Greenscale’s Blight, Hammerknell, and the Chronicles of Attunement—in fun, story-driven adventures!
- New Warfront: Library of the Runemasters - PvP combat erupts in Hammerknell’s Library of the Runemasters. Race the enemy faction to control Dwarven secrets, and rise through the ranks in this pulse-pounding new Warfront.
- Master Dungeon – Darkening Deeps now sports a Master Dungeon mode. Rebalanced for elite groups of Ascended, the Master Dungeon holds epic challenges and epic rewards.
- Veteran Rewards - Subscribers earn rewards the longer they play Rift, including special gear, a personal vendor, and a portable mailbox.
- AddOns Beta – Customize your play with new AddOns Beta, fan-created mods for your Rift user interface.
Put on your party hats, log in, and help Trion celebrate six months of Rift. Today marks the beginning of a weeklong half-birthday celebration commemorating six fantastic months of the wildly successful MMORPG. Through August 31st, subscribers will be treated to substantial in-game bonuses, including extra XP, PvP Prestige and Favor, and a special surprise birthday gift.It's always good seeing developers of persistent worlds engaging with their community like this. Are you still playing Rift? If so, drop us a line in the Comments section about your experiences with it.
Participants also have the chance to win one of three gaming desktops, NVIDIA GTX460 video cards, and six months of game time by participating in the following contests running throughout the week:
- Ace of Achievements – Accomplish as many achievements as possible August 25-31 for the chance to win big!
- Birthday Bakeoff – Dust off that cake tin and get cracking on an epic confectionary creation! Submit pictures via facebook and the official forums of your most Rift-acular birthday cake.
- Screenshot Savant – Submit a screenshot of your character celebrating Rift’s half-birthday in the least appropriate spot (or fashion) for a party in Telara. He or she who parties the hardest wins the prize!