We do believe the changes we are making are the right ones and we hope you think so as well…but you might not and that is cool too. It is the constructive criticism and feedback we need – in either direction.
Respawn restrictions have been removed - Respawn timers are now based on the activity a player is in. Crit-Path, Agent Missions and other non-end game missions now have a respawn timer of 10 seconds. Strongholds, Legendary Contracts, and other end game missions now have a respawn timer of 30 seconds. The respawn timer Freeplay remains unchanged.
Loot Changes - Common (white) and Uncommon (green) drops will no longer appear for players that are level 30.
Improved stability for all platforms - this includes fixes for a number of issues that were causing crashes or connection problems
Audio Improvements - Fixed a number of issues that could cause audio to drop out
UPDATE: We’ve identified several causes for the temp power-down crash some PS4 users experienced. Fixes for the top issues are in patch next week. If you encounter a game crash where your PS4 console won’t respond, you can manually power down and restart it – no risk of damage.— Chad Robertson (@crobertson_atx) March 6, 2019
We are currently in process of gathering information about the PS4 issues so we can determine the root cause. If you are experiencing hard crashes of your console please reply with the following information:
PlayStation Console: (PS4, Slim, Pro)
Crash Info:When does the crash take place? Are you having to take specific steps to get your PlayStation going again?
Have you reported your crash data when prompted? (Y/N)
The tethering timer for missions has been increased. Players should now have more time to catch up to their Squad before seeing a countdown timer.
Inscriptions are now better for the items they are on This applies to new items earned in Anthem (not existing ones in your Vault) If an inscription applies only to the item it is on (gear icon), it will be useful to that item. Otherwise the inscription will provide a Javelin wide benefit For example, an Assault Rifle will not have an item specific +pistol damage inscription. It may have a +electric damage suit wide inscription (cool for a lightning build)
Having items roll affixes that are sub-optimal is standard practice for this kind of game but I think there should be a hard distinction made between "bad" and "literally doesn't work". Currently this causes a considerable amount of confusion for players learning the game as their initial assumption is to think anything an item rolled will work on the item it rolled on.
Given the structure of loot in this game, the relative power level of any 2 given players doing the same content at end game can be enormous. Players goal is to find better items and continue advancing through the content and challenges. As it stands the difficulty jump between GM1 and GM2 is big enough that once you reach the point where GM1 feels trivial and attempt to enter GM2 you find enemies feeling like bullet sponges who 1 shot the frailer classes in the party. I love a good challenge but going from "this is trivial" to "this is hard and definitely not worth the time and energy" causes players to continue farming content that is "easy" without ever feeling they should put themselves in positions where they are reasonably challenged.
Disjointed is probably the best way to describe BioWare’s Anthem; the latest grand sci-fi epic from the Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and veteran role-playing studio. A clear departure, Anthem attempts to fit into what we’ve come to know as the ‘looter shooter’ genre. That style of game where action-RPG mechanics combine with shooter-style action, and players get rewarded with better gear and shinier loot the more they play. Using this cycle as an incentive to head back out into a large online world, alone or with friends, to face new challenges and grow more powerful – long after the story is over. That’s the plan anyway.
How Anthem fits into this mould is strange and confusing because it ultimately fails to embrace or even figure out how to properly merge its two sides.
Day One Update Details
High level fixes
- Improved loading times
- Fixed many infinite loading screens
- Fixed multiple challenges not tracking properly
- A number of issues have been fixed that were causing players to disconnect or crash
- Weapons and gear now have numbers present for modifiers
General Fixes and Improvements
- Loot Reveal and Expedition Summary now correctly play during the end of expedition screen.
- The gather party mechanic has been made more lenient in a number of situations
- At the end of expedition screen players will no longer get stuck on "Recording Victories" or "Skipping All".
- Game no longer hangs in Javelin menu when unlocking the second, third or fourth javelin
- During the mission “What Freelancers Do” dying after killing Junkmaw & freeing Arcanists leaves you unable to progress, this has been fixed
- Challenges now unlock for players at the correct levels
- Fixed some camera issues during cutscenes
- Legendary Contracts can now be accepted from the Social Hub contract board
- Some enemies have had their shield values decreased
- Loot now properly drops for players who are downed
- The texture quality on the NPC Prospero has been improved
- Final boss of strongholds now drop loot instead of only being shown on the end of expedition screen
- Fixed the time outs on echoes and relics to prevent griefing and to handle disconnections properly
- Players can no longer fall through the floor during the 3rd trial in the Fortress of Dawn
- Completing the tutorial expedition will now show the correct Ranger appearance
- After disconnecting, rejoining an expedition will now place you back into a squad if you were in one previously
- Corrected an issue where players could not interact with each other in the launch bay in certain circumstances
- Corrected an issue during the Mission "Bad Deal" where outlaws won't spawn, blocking progress
- The start of expedition screen has been improved
- Addressed a variety of situations where killing enemies does not properly progress world events
- Opening a chest now increments Tomb of the Legionnaire progress for all squad members present
- Scar snipers can no longer shoot through Storm Shield
- Corrected an issue where players would get stuck on the end of expedition screen in some situations
- Players will no longer get disconnected if joining the "Finding Old Friends" mission while the cinematic is playing
- Addressed a number of situations where players can get stuck on the environment in the launch bay
- Increased the damage of the electric status effect
- Corrected an issue where the Shield of Dawn could be crafted with less materials then intended in some situations
- The Platinum Mission feat now grants completion as intended
- Status effects can more reliably be applied to Titans
- Fixed an issue that would cause a Stronghold server crash after defeating the last boss
- Temple of Scar - Players can no longer get stuck in the mined tunnel in the explosives room
- Temple of Scar - Players can no longer be blocked from entering the explosives room due to fog wall
- Fixed Tyrant Mine so people that join the stronghold in-progress do not end up locked away from their team
- Adjusted lighting in Tyrant Mine underwater section to make it easier to navigate to the exit
- The Swarm Tyrant will no longer get stuck in the side cave entrances in some situations
- Corrected an issue where players would spawn into different areas of the Tyrant Mine in certain situations
Gear and Weapons
- After having 1st pilot unlock suit after tutorials, creating a new pilot and going to forge no longer causes load screen hang
- Ice damage bonuses are now correctly applied on ice gear
- Suit-wide bonuses from inscription are now functioning properly
- Players can no longer salvage equipped items
- Javelin specific gear and/or weapons are no longer able to be used on javelins they aren't intended for
- Corrected an issue where in some circumstances Masterwork Components do not have any inscriptions
- The Endless Siege Masterwork Autocannon no longer displays a damage increase of 0% in its tooltip
- The Colossus javelin is now able to activate its shield more quickly after using an ability or firing a weapon
- The Storm javelin now reacts to getting hit when its shields are up
- Fixed an exploit that allowed the Storm's ultimate attack to be used more times than intended
- The Colossus javelin can now shield and revive at the same time
- Interceptor Combo Aura has been increased in power and now has a damage over time component
- Non-Masterwork materials purchased from the crafting store now show as their proper rarity instead of incorrectly showing as Masterwork
- Additional Mouse and Keyboard control improvements have been made
- Some conversations were not popping up the reputation points post conversation completion, this has been fixed
- The squad screen now displays the correct information for each player
- Fixed a number of issues where subtitles will no longer get stuck on the screen after dialogue has finished as often
- Settings should no longer reset upon exiting and restarting the game on Xbox One
- Motion blur can now correctly be turned off
- The Electric Status Effect now shows scaled damage properly
- An option has been added to hide the Squad Member HUD
- The edge of the compass will now pulse to indicate enemy locations
- A notification has been added in Fort Tarsis if a player's vault is at the cap of 250 items
- On the "Repair the Strider" step of "A Cry for Help" the search radar has been adjusted to correctly lead the player to all 4 tools
- Primer and Detonator icons have been added to all Interceptor gear
- Corrected a user interface issue where a player’s ultimate would show as available when it isn't
AusGamers: So we'll just kick off with... it's a BioWare game. If you guys are known, for anything in particular, it's sexy times. How many people can you bang in Anthem?
Mike Gamble [Laughs] None! Yeah, we gotta leave some room for Dragon Age, I tell ya.
Nah, we didn't ever want really Anthem to be about that. We kind of wanted to try something different, go in a different direction, not necessarily to make it about the romances. Yeah, I mean, it was a design decision from the very beginning.
Further performance Improvements Additional stability fixes Fixes to inscriptions showing up incorrectly Fixes to inscriptions from other Javelins being chosen Fixes to disappearing customization settings Fixes to XP gain behavior Audio improvements Improvements to PC controls, including flight and aiming A Social Hub: The Launch Bay And a few thousand more (literally)…