Building on technology from the previous game, American Nightmare is a combination of arcade action and an exaggerated pulp fiction adventure which makes it instantly satisfying for all gamers. Being an expansion of the Alan Wake universe, there is also optional story content for fans of the first game to explore and enjoy.
In Alan Wake’s American Nightmare, Alan Wake finds himself trapped in an altered reality filled with dangerous shadows as he pursues his evil doppelganger, Mr. Scratch, towards the town of Night Springs in Arizona. Mr. Scratch, a supernatural serial killer, is an urban legend come to life with evil plans set on Wake’s wife, Alice. Wake must learn to control reality itself and unravel the secret to Scratch’s demise while using the power of light to put an end to the darkness.
- Masterful Storytelling: Featuring the kind of excellently crafted single player campaign that Remedy is known for, the story is a standalone spin-off experience that anyone can play while also taking the fiction forward for true Alan Wake fans.
- Surviving the Night: As the catalyst for the initial project, a brand new action arcade mode called “Fight till Dawn” has the player guiding Wake through 5 unique maps as they try to survive a full night of enemy onslaughts while attempting to rack up a high score.
- Against All Odds: Enemies progressively get harder to put down in each round of “Fight till Dawn”. Despite how bleak the situation may seem, there is always light in the darkest of nights, as safe havens, supplies and unlockable weapons dot the landscape.
- Afraid of the Dark: Encounter brand new enemies in both modes like The Giant, a mutated beast of darkness that wields a metal cutting saw from hell, and The Bird Man, a dark persona that dissipates into a flock of birds when you shoot him.
- Larger Arsenal: While the flashlight and pistol are still the bread and butter in the fight against darkness, new weapons are available like the pulp action nail gun and deadly crossbow that penetrates through enemy’s shadow shields.
- Literary Genius: Collectable manuscript pages can be found throughout the adventure to gain a better insight of what’s happening and to unlock the weapon caches littered throughout the single player campaign and “Fight till Dawn”.