18th October 2022
The problem with the above, which is the game’s most redeeming feature, is in how a balance is ‘struck’ between turning narrative moments into gameplay, and vice-versa, all of which are bogged down in the game’s biggest problem -- hard-fail.Click here for our full A Plague Tale: Requiem review.
Powerful lines of dialogue that centre around Amicia gathering her wits, strength and resolve to face the enemy head-on are quickly snuffed out in a hard-fail scenario. Often again and again and again. The entirety of the game experience is lessened because of it. Even with all its linearity and hand-holding, A Plague Tale is a driving force of an experience because of its excellent narrative and its brilliant characters, but when the writing is cut in half by an antiquated system of trial and error gameplay driven by hard-fail scenarios that are as thick and fast as the game’s swarms of rats, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Hard-fail is the game’s plague, and it’s a blight on what would be an otherwise engrossing, enjoyable journey...
A Plague Tale: Requiem’s In Focus series includes four episodes which each brings three members of Asobo Studio together to share their creative journeys giving life to the sequel to the critically acclaimed A Plague Tale: Innocence.A Plague Take: Requiem is out for PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S this October 18 and will be available on Game Pass at launch.
- Episode 1: Story invites Kévin Choteau (Game Director), Sébastien Renard (Lead Writer), and David Dedeine (Creative Director) to situate A Plague Tale’s second chapter in relation to the first and talk about the evolution of A Plague Tale’s heroes Amicia and Hugo De Rune, their relation, attitudes, abilities and new dynamics involved.
- Episode 2: World Building invites Olivier Ponsonnet (Art Director), David Dedeine (Creative Director) and Kévin Choteau (Game Director) to chat about the worldbuilding work done for this sequel, still giving a great sense of history while taking Amicia and Hugo south towards the Mediterranean and its burst of light and colours.
- Episode 3: Tech invites Brice Davin (Executive Producer), Cyril Doillon (Lead Gameplay Engineer) and Julien Guérin (Cinematic Director) to share the challenges and innovations associated with developing A Plague Tale: Requiem as a next-gen exclusive game, taking full advantage of the most advanced technology available.
- Episode 4: Gameplay invites Kévin Pinson (Lead Level Designer), Kévin Choteau (Game Director) and David Dedeine (Creative Director) to let us in on the work they’ve done to offer new gameplay possibilities, towards a more flexible experience, with more freedom for the player yet keeping a strong narrative direction.
Embark on Hugo and Amicia’s next journey and venture south of 14th century France, before setting sail to a mysterious island out in the Mediterranean Sea. Brave a terrible fate and find a cure for Hugo’s illness thanks to Amicia’s new resources—including the use of alchemy to manipulate fire and the long-distance power of a crossbow, but also her cunning use of terrain and ability to wrestle out of an enemy’s grasp. Choose to strike from the shadow or to unleash hell, with the help of Hugo’s new powers: to perceive surrounding enemies’ movements while moving stealthily, and to manipulate hordes of rats to decimate entire squads of soldiers.Stunning and deadly in equal measure, A Plague Tale: Requiem looks set to expand upon the strengths of the first outing, while dipping toes into new aspects of gameplay and narrative design, making this one of the most anticipated story-driven titles of tail end of 2022.
Far across the sea, an island calls…Pre-orders are now open for all of the requisite release editions of the game, which you can also see a teaser video for below, followed by a handful of new screens.
Embark on a heartrending journey into a brutal, breathtaking world twisted by supernatural forces. After escaping their devastated homeland, Amicia and Hugo travel far south, to new regions and vibrant cities. There, they attempt to start a new life and control Hugo’s curse.
But, when Hugo’s powers reawaken, death and destruction return in a flood of devouring rats. Forced to flee once more, the siblings place their hopes in a prophesised island that may hold the key to saving Hugo.
Discover the cost of saving those you love in a desperate struggle for survival. Strike from the shadows or unleash hell, overcoming foes and challenges with a variety of weapons, tools and unearthly powers.
- Sequel to the award-winning adventure A Plague Tale: Innocence.
- A spectacular grounded tale twisted by supernatural forces.
- Use a variety of tools, sneak, fight, or unleash hell and rats.
- Stunning visuals combine with an enthralling score.