We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
Quick Excel Question
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3193 posts
I am using V lookup as i have bunch ppl and times and i am trying to work out who hasn't got any times. So ppl who havent put anytimes in comes up with #N/A is there way to change it into "-" ?
03:51pm 30/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:51pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
5646 posts
You could try using IF() and ISERROR() on the line.

Formula would look nasty though.

e.g.,

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(1,A2:D10,2)),"-",VLOOKUP(1,A2:D10,2))

So if the lookup fails, put hyphen - otherwise, do the lookup again ;-) Efficiency++
03:55pm 30/04/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2458 posts
Wouldn't efficiency be storing the vlookup in a different cell and then use the iserror function on the value of that cell so you don't have to do two vlookups each time, or using your own vba function? Just sayin' :P
04:24pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2948 posts
From the help-

IS functions
Show AllHide All
This article describes the formula syntax and usage of the IS functions in Microsoft Office Excel.

Description
Each of these functions, referred to collectively as the IS functions, checks the specified value and returns TRUE or FALSE depending on the outcome. For example, the ISBLANK function returns the logical value TRUE if the value argument is a reference to an empty cell; otherwise it returns FALSE.

You can use an IS function to get information about a value before performing a calculation or other action with it. For example, you can use the ISERROR function in conjunction with the IF function to perform a different action if an error occurs:

=IF(ISERROR(A1), "An error occurred.", A1 * 2)

This formula checks to see if an error condition exists in A1. If so, the IF function returns the message "An error occurred." If no error exists, the IF function performs the calculation A1*2.

So I would suggest ISBLANK in my limited knowledge.
06:23pm 30/04/10 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
1276 posts
If that works Pinky, you're a legend! It annoys me all the time when I get the #NA shiz from using a vlookup.
06:30pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
5657 posts
Wouldn't efficiency be storing the vlookup in a different cell and then use the iserror function on the value of that cell so you don't have to do two vlookups each time, or using your own vba function? Just sayin' :P

My "Efficiency++" was sarcasm. I know, bad form to use sarcasm on the intarwebs.

If it's only a small lookup table I wouldn't bother trying to make it more efficient.
09:40pm 30/04/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6844 posts

ISERROR > ISNA

for future reference, when you get skull slippery slick at excel
SUMPRODUCT is where it's at, in all of it's wonderful variations
10:10pm 30/04/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3222 posts
Holy s*** it worked!!
10:06am 06/05/10 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
10523 posts
Why do you even need the ISERROR?

Wouldn't this work: =IF((VLOOKUP(1,A2:D10,2)>0),VLOOKUP(1,A2:D10,2),"-")

I typically set no values to "NA" as text, just so other people looking at sheets can see that no calculation could be performed, rather than people thinking there's an error.
10:09am 06/05/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:09am 06/05/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.