Bethesda ports for Switch are now two for two thanks to the great work in bringing this classic RPG to the console
Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - Our Review!
The Empire Strikes Back this ain't: a sequel that fixes some of the sins of its predecessor, but repeats mistakes, and adds in whole new problems.
Star Wars Battefront II Review... Attack of the No's
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Steve Jobs Talks About Flash
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30496 posts
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

An actual, official statement from Jobs on Flash:
Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.
edit: also of interest, in what I assume is a completely coincidental event and not microsoft jumping in the air going "hey! hey! HEY! HEY! look at us! LOOK AT US!", MS talking about HTML 5: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/04/29/html5-video.aspx
03:17pm 30/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:17pm 30/04/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5058 posts
oh...! the PC era is over? In the past?

Anyway, Steve Jobs has done things before where he's made a statement about why something would be bad, and then a year or two later done exactly what he said would be bad. I'm thinking about the g4 imac (the first with an lcd) where he said simply cutting the back off the g3 and trying to combine the base and the screen into one unit would be a bad idea, then the g5 imac that came out was exactly that.

Once he can add flash easily without too much r&d, he'll do it.
03:27pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6167 posts
We don't need PCs anymore, we have iPads..
03:27pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1592 posts

A blatant and obvious advertisement
But the fanbois will continue to choke on his d***
03:51pm 30/04/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4424 posts
I don't need to think. Steve Jobs thinks for me.
03:53pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3756 posts
And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary
Thats like saying flash isnt necessary because my pc can run exe's.
04:03pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1550 posts
Steve Jobs is right about the future being low power devices, it seems every time I look at the iPhone it says 'battery low'.
04:06pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11694 posts
haha
04:10pm 30/04/10 Permalink
lewd
Brisbane, Queensland
856 posts
^ yeah they got s*** battery life.
04:10pm 30/04/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9998 posts
my iphone battery lasts 4-5 days. no worse than my nokia phone i used to have.
04:19pm 30/04/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
913 posts
This is why Apple comes and goes, they create a great product that gives them the spot light but because of their closed mindedness and we-know-best attitude they get overtaken by the market again.

I find it funny how he talks about open standards.
04:34pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6415 posts
Heh yeah I read that this morning. It's so full of hypocritical and reality distortion fields drivels, it really would be quite funny if it were a satirical piece, alas, Steve J's pretty serious....which makes it pretty pathetic. Definitely an article for a true Apple's fanboi.
04:40pm 30/04/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7019 posts
The only reason Steve thinks flash is old news is because he hasn't figured out a way to make money off the platform
04:40pm 30/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30507 posts
Steve Jobs is right about the future being low power devices, it seems every time I look at the iPhone it says 'battery low'.
ahjahah
04:49pm 30/04/10 Permalink
gamer
658 posts
But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards

HAHAHA. Yeah since the iphone is so 'open' right?
05:20pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6177 posts

haha, ding ding ding winrar
05:34pm 30/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
16108 posts
I opted into the html 5 beta on youtube and as far as I know it's been rendering in html 5 whenever I visit it in chrome or safari (obviously only on my mac as I use firefox on the pc). Honestly I haven't noticed any difference and videos play just fine without the use of flash, either that or youtube gave up on it & has gone back to flash which explains why I didn't notice any difference. Anyone confirm whether they're still using html 5? I can't find any options to opt in or out anywhere.

Also, I hate flash too but not because it's a power or resource hog or I'm some kind of apple fanboi, I hate it because every damn website makes me click on "allow blah blah . com" in noscript in order for it to work at all (as opposed to having a no-script version of the website).

vvvv: well I'll be a son of a b****! TBH I didn't look that hard, when I didn't see the option anymore I figured it was out of beta & just auto detecting whether my browser could support it.

last edited by iWhoop at 18:12:40 30/Apr/10
05:42pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Mitch
Western Australia
395 posts
http://www.youtube.com/html5 ( opt in/out page)
05:52pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Nerfbringer
Brisbane, Queensland
286 posts
also of interest, in what I assume is a completely coincidental event and not microsoft jumping in the air going "hey! hey! HEY! HEY! look at us! LOOK AT US!", MS talking about HTML 5:

And yet they still don't seem to have any mention of html5 canvas support in ie9. ><
07:28pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28950 posts

i dont get it because i dont and never will own any apple devices

also, steve jobs is a wanker and out of touch with the internets

last time i checked, everyone is using flash
07:29pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2692 posts

Thread winnar!
08:17pm 30/04/10 Permalink
foolix
Brisbane, Queensland
81 posts
i dont get it because i dont and never will own any apple devices
Have fun with that.

Well, for everyone else in the real world i'd like to see an icon on peoples profile showing if they have an iphone/touch, i suspect the % would be relatively high :P

ps: 3-4yrs ago i would have thought you were a f&#khead if you used a mac, but at some point you think well maybe they aren't growing at twice the rate of PCs solely because people are fan boi's and cant think for themselves.
10:17pm 30/04/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3372 posts
yeah wat

flash is no longer necessary for web content because of the app store?

fail
10:29pm 30/04/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5064 posts
Wow that was a retarded post foolix, everything from your opinion, your condescending tone, bleeping out f***head, saying 'boi'.... oh god I'm too drunk to pay you out properly
10:32pm 30/04/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
914 posts
ps: 3-4yrs ago i would have thought you were a f&#khead if you used a mac, but at some point you think well maybe they aren't growing at twice the rate of PCs solely because people are fan boi's and cant think for themselves.
So your decision to switch to Apple was your inability to understand basic mathematics?
11:29pm 30/04/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2285 posts
And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

Billion of people in history proved that we could survive without technology too.

Sure it's not related to any point I'm making, but my fact is irrefutable.
12:06am 01/05/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5065 posts
Billion of people in history proved that we could survive without technology too.

Actually I refute your statement. Where are these billion people without technology? I'd be willing to bet that at least some kind of tool was fashioned before humanity served up 1 billion babies. Even before homo sapiens there were primates building technology.

last edited by thermite at 00:37:20 01/May/10
12:35am 01/05/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2202 posts
New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices

Its funny apple talking about openness when the iphone is a pretty damm closed platform.

And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games

And they get to pick exactly what content they want people to look at, and what games people get to play, and take a cut in it all.

And there recent changes to the developer licencing stating exactly how they want code written, limited what tools developers can use.

On a side not, does anyone know if its possible to install apps onto the iphone that arent on the app store, without jailbreaking?
12:49am 01/05/10 Permalink
weedy
Melbourne, Victoria
126 posts
I thought all this entire scenario was lame on apples behalf but having read his points and reasons in detail I can see some of his reasons for flash not being on mobile devices. I dont know the technical reality of his points as i cbf researching and whether the claim he states that they have waited 2-3 years and are still waiting for Adobe to release a version of flash that will work reliably and perform well on mobile devices is true but it does make me wonder, if there wasnt any truth in what his saying surely Adobe would sue them or retaliate by now - Steves been bagging flash for ages... ?.

Having said that i bought and will continue to buy Android phones because i believe the awesome free applications will just keep coming and everytime i visit the market im astounded at how many fantastic new applications there are im almost dumb founded in that we are so spoilt for choice. Also i want a proper qwerty keyboard thanks Apple not an on screen one (and yes ive used the iphones one its crap), im a nerd and i mostly send SMS.

I have some totally free (with no adverts) apps that update every 3 weeks or so, now that is dedication. Software made for pride and sole enjoyment will always be better the software made for profit...
01:23am 01/05/10 Permalink
Chakas
Brisbane, Queensland
2950 posts
My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
01:29am 01/05/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3373 posts
weedy - wat

freeware is clearly not always superior to commercial software

as for jobs the man clearly isn't stupid but the fact remains he doesn't have an alternative to flash besides downloading a separate app for each thing you want to do
01:40am 01/05/10 Permalink
kos
Melbourne, Victoria
1412 posts
Steve Jobs is a arrogant a******* and Apple are evil, but I agree with him on this, Flash is s*** and needs to go away. Bring on HTML5 ASAP please, and get rid of the extreme annoying-ness of Flash (and to a lesser extent Silverlight and Java).

Actually I refute your statement. Where are these billion people without technology? I'd be willing to bet that at least some kind of tool was fashioned before humanity served up 1 billion babies. Even before homo sapiens there were primates building technology.

I think even more damning is the question if they were able to survive without technology how come they're all dead now hmm?! There is not a single person alive who has lived in a time without technology, thus proving that without technology everyone would die.
QED
10:33pm 01/05/10 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11035 posts

as for jobs the man clearly isn't stupid but the fact remains he doesn't have an alternative to flash besides downloading a separate app for each thing you want to do
Hitler obviously wasn't stupid either. But he was crazy mad.
10:56pm 01/05/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6847 posts
heh
I remember saying way ages ago I couldn't wait for the whole web to convert to flash/macromedia an trog was "are you kidding?"

11:11pm 01/05/10 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
9416 posts
Having said that i bought and will continue to buy Android phones because i believe the awesome free applications will just keep coming and everytime i visit the market im astounded at how many fantastic new applications there are im almost dumb founded in that we are so spoilt for choice. Also i want a proper qwerty keyboard thanks Apple not an on screen one (and yes ive used the iphones one its crap), im a nerd and i mostly send SMS.

And they say apple fanbois are blind.

I broke my phone recently and have been shopping for a new one. Currently I have a HTC Desire that telstra just released running android.

First of all, I really like the phone, its fantastic, however your above statements are wrong.

This model has no hardware keyboard, it is a software keyboard slightly smaller than the iPhones and currently for me, difficult to type on. The app store is not bad but Iv noticed SO many free apps are riddled with advertising or they are the lite version. Some good apps but a lot of ports from the iPhone as well.

So unfortunatly your two points that you made are total crap because the iPhone does a better job.

It does do something things better, such as not needing iTunes to access MP3s and Photos and also to tether. It allows you to flag emails in exchange and it has some cool unity stuff and overall was a nice device
12:35am 02/05/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11695 posts
no flash is fail
12:54am 02/05/10 Permalink
XaartaX
Adelaide, South Australia
379 posts
Yes, Flash is s*** and I would've thought most people knew it already.
02:53am 02/05/10 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11036 posts

I hate flash sites...
08:26am 02/05/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5291 posts
they get overtaken by the market again.

They do? I thought iPod *still* owns the market. iPhone *still* is the most popular consumer smartphone. iPad is the most popular and only decent touch tablet (in general terms, I don't own one). Mac is growing like crazy every year.

Also, how often do you actually see a Flash player on a mobile? Hell, Android didn't even have it until recently. They may have had a Flash player *app* but not in the browser because mobile browsers used to be terrible before Apple started actually making a decent one on the iPhone. No phone's I ever had could play Flash in their browsers. The only reason every bags out Apple is because they brought the *actual* web to mobile devices back in 2007 and now everyone thinks you need the Flash plugin.
08:30am 02/05/10 Permalink
Blue
Sydney, New South Wales
113 posts
His entire reasoning is bull crap. He goes on about how flash isn't freeware, it's owned by the corporations man. Yet just like Windows or Photoshop it's used within it's field enough to matter.

Sure, website built on flash do not need to be accommodated, but at least give us the videos. How can a user have "the best browsing experience" when they are limited to 40% of the videos online?

They say they want freeware, the real reason is so they can have an exclusive monopoly in which to drain more money out of us, they don't want to be limited in any way by another company.
01:40pm 02/05/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1215 posts
They do? I thought iPod *still* owns the market. iPhone *still* is the most popular consumer smartphone. iPad is the most popular and only decent touch tablet (in general terms, I don't own one). Mac is growing like crazy every year.

I thought Nokia owned the smartphone market still? Or do you mean on a phone by phone basis and only 'consumers'?
01:42pm 02/05/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5295 posts
I see about 5 times more iPhones than I see Nokia smartphones...
08:35pm 02/05/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5077 posts
hey by smartphone do you mean those phones people buy to use twitter on? yeah lets listen to what they think!
08:42pm 02/05/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5296 posts
Huh? You're saying the iPhone isn't a smartphone?
09:39pm 02/05/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5078 posts
no I'm suggesting the main target market of smartphones now is idiots that want to use twitter for 60 bucks a month

so popularity doesn't mean s***
09:51pm 02/05/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
8797 posts
out of curiosity, does anyone else here use anything else other than .FLV for the video training tools that they create for work?

do you host onsite (at the client's workplace) with a ~6/1mb (or better) dsl2 connection or use a data center instead?

how many users?
09:53pm 02/05/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1218 posts
I see about 5 times more iPhones than I see Nokia smartphones...

Well, must be true then :)

Last I saw symbian (for some stupid reason, who would want that on a 'smart' phone?) was still around 50% market share and iPhone was around 10.
10:04pm 02/05/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:04pm 02/05/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.