We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
Mammoth VPS + cPanel + SSH Security
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2343 posts
Hey guys playing around with a mammoth VPS and forgive me if its something silly i am missing but i am in need of root access to the server, running CentOS and not very knowledgeable in Linux at this stage. The FAQ on www.mammothvps.com.au while good, isn't a huge help.

The commands offered are

sudo passwd root

to set up a root password on the account, however the error returned is

sudo: must be setuid root

To explain a little better I have installed cPanel / WHM for learning purposes / something to entertain my brain & for initial logon to setup it is requiring root login and password:

To access the WHM interface:
Type https://$IP:2087 in your preferred web browser.
$IP is meant to stand for the IP address of your web server.
Use root as the login name in the Name field.
Enter the root password into the Password field.
Click Log In.

If someone could tell me where I have gone wrong, anything I have missed or if there is 'possibly' an easy solution to this problem then I would love to know.

You don't learn if you don't try.

Many Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a guy forward himself.
10:47pm 20/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:47pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11602 posts
I've never come across that exact issue myself, but I think if you do this you should be able to enable a password on the root account:

sudo su -

^^ you'll probably get prompted for your vps password and then become root

now you can just run:

passwd

^^ to set a root password

be aware that this isn't a recommended practice, you're better off having the root password disabled
11:01pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2344 posts
Hmm but my problem is that it looks as if WHM has created the default login as root & whatever the password was.. which I could avoid if i went back and changed root password pre-installation..

I will try your suggestion, thanks Jim
11:04pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2345 posts
Jim anything i type with sudo post cpanel / whm installation is now giving me this error. very odd.
11:05pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
267 posts
what output does

ls -l `which sudo`

give?
11:06pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2346 posts
looking further it appears that cPanel does play with permissions and takes permission of sudo away from the VPS standard user..

Interesting...
11:09pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2347 posts
Habib ls: which: No such file or directory.

I am assuming thats not what you expected.

also for reference:

ls -l /usr/bin/sudo
---x--x--x 2 root root 151096 Mar 1 09:23 /usr/bin/sudo
11:11pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11603 posts
ugh

so you can't do anything via sudo at all now? at first I thought maybe sudo just gave that error specifically when trying to change the root pass with it, but maybe this cpanel thing has actually removed the setid bit from the sudo binary - it should be "---s--x--x"
11:13pm 20/04/10 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5894 posts

You used single quotes instead of tilde (quake console key)?

Looks like you found the file anyway.
11:15pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11604 posts
ah yeh it has now I see your last post
11:15pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2348 posts
yeah parabol I assume which is a similar file to whereis ?

also this is a royal pain in the ass if not fixable ... but still we learn :)
11:17pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11605 posts

You used single quotes instead of tilde (quake console key)?

Looks like you found the file anyway.
which isn't installed as part of core-utils, so it misses out being included in our minimal image. there's several commonly-used utils like which (such as man) that aren't included and you tend to think wtf when you notice them missing, but they're trivial to install with the package manager and it means the customer gets the choice about what chews up their precious disk space
11:18pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2349 posts
Jim, my question would be is this fixable or would it be necessary to create a new user or change root password PRE-cpanel installation.
11:22pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
268 posts
does the mammoth control panel let you see the screen while it's booting and take control?

if so, you could put it into single-user mode and fix things up:

* wait for GRUB splash screen, press a key to get to menu if you have to
* look at instructions below the menu and press the key that lets you modify parameters
* add a "1" to the end as an extra parameter (no quotes), it should log you in as root
* run "passwd" to set the root password
* run "chmod 4111 /usr/bin/sudo" to fix the suid problem
* run "init 3" (console) or "init 5" (starts X11 if you need/want it) to start up normal services and go to multi-user mode
11:23pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11606 posts
andrewus: can you confirm whether you can no longer either:

- use sudo to run commands as root
- become root from the shell or at least via this cpanel thing

if you can't do any of the above, this thing might be a bit dumb in that it can get installed via sudo, but then doesn't know how to operate without the root account and already disables any existing sudo users

if that's the case, you might need to reinstall your default image and try again, but this time enable a password on the root account before you try installing cpanel

either that, or if you're willing to have your vps shut down for a few minutes, I can mount your filesystem from the host and edit your shadow file directly, and then umount it and start your vps back up again which means you wouldn't need to reinstall. if you want me to do that, create a file in the vps user's home directory called password.txt or something, and inside the file, enter a temporary root password you want me to set for you.

but, log into mpanel and use the 'contact support' link so it creates a ticket in our system and I get verification that you own the vps you're asking me to meddle with
11:24pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11607 posts
habib: yep it does, but atm we only provide the kernel from the host, so grub isn't used - I'm not sure if that method is possible
11:26pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2350 posts
Jim i am unable to sudo or become root.

I can afford to have the VPS shutdown for a while as its not got anything on it yet. If you are willing to mount my file system and edit it, this might save me another 1gb of bandwidth.

I have had to do 2 reinstalls of cPanel already today. I will do as instructed.
11:29pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2351 posts
Left a message under mpanel support. As it isnt business hours, I just got to fill out a form.

I will leave it with you, are you able to pop me an email when you get a chance to look at it,

Very much appreciated.
11:32pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11608 posts
No probs, I see the ticket, doing it now
11:33pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2352 posts
mmmm love the customer service. It's delicious. I will hang around then :)

Seriously didn't expect you to do it tonight bud.
11:34pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11609 posts
heh no probs, I happened to be at the pc anyway

All done, responded to your ticket with details
11:42pm 20/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2353 posts
Thankyou Kindly Sir.

+1 MammothVPS
11:44pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5983 posts
Dear Jim,

I don't need a VPS, but if I set up a BPay for 10 bucks a month will you email me at midnight too? Do you do text/ voice?
07:57am 21/04/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1052 posts
Can these be used to packet important international networks with? DDoS botnet buyins are getting expensive and I still have some old scores to settle with zee Russians
08:03am 21/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2354 posts
lol @ hogfather. Very Very Happy with the support.
12:34pm 21/04/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5825 posts
I want Jim to mount my filesystem..
12:59pm 21/04/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2183 posts
I want Jim to mount my filesystem..

and root it ?

lame, but thats all i got.
01:05pm 21/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5989 posts
Jim's getting a bit crusty, prolly needs a rootkit.
01:07pm 21/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2355 posts
hey just if I could ask one more question. Attempting to setup quotas and am getting the following:

/scripts/fixquotas
Installing Default Quota Databases......Done
Linux Quota Support
Quotas are now on
Updating Quota Files......
quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

....Done
Resetting quota for site1 to 500 M
No filesystems with quota detected.
Resetting quota for site2 to 100 M
No filesystems with quota detected.

the sites are still saying unlimited space & google is not being my friend :(
01:15pm 21/04/10 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
633 posts
You really should look into cPanel support for answers to your question.

Maybe this will be helpful:

http://www.webhostgear.com/80.html

01:56pm 21/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11613 posts
I've never tried cpanel sorry
not sure whether you need to make sure the filesystem is mounted with quotas enabled yourself, or whether cpanel modifies your /etc/fstab for you but it sounds a bit like it's not mounted with quotas enabled
02:02pm 21/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2356 posts
Thankyou for the responses.

I am playing with etc/fstab at the moment but trying not to break it :)
02:27pm 21/04/10 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1313 posts
FYI i had no issues doing what jim said in the second post, when i changed/setup root on my CentOS server.

Getting pretty hammered with SSH Brute force attemps, ive setup fail2ban atm using IPTABLE banning 2 SSH failures for a week.
06:37pm 21/04/10 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
269 posts
You can change the SSH listen port to put as a crude way of mitigating the brute force robots. It won't stop evil humans, so the bans are a good idea, but it seems to do a good job of stopping your log from filling up with spam from brute force attempts on port 22.

last edited by Habib at 00:10:57 22/Apr/10
12:07am 22/04/10 Permalink
Plasma
1034 posts
Yeah, I've got zero failures recorded, I suspect because I'm not running ssh on the default port.

Someone mentioned you can avoid the issue entirely by using keys instead of passwords, but I don't know how to set that up.
09:08am 22/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11618 posts
yeh personally I like running it on another port to avoid all the log annoyance

internally when we were discussing what to do with ssh in our images we decided to leave it on the default port to avoid complicating it for customers, and chose instead to disable the root password and provide a sudo'd default account which should greatly reduce the chance of bots bruteforcing without adding much complexity for the customer. this is pretty standard practice for several distros now anyway so most people will hopefully be used to it

once they log in they can then reconfigure things however they like, alternate ports, firewalling etc
09:27am 22/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2359 posts
chose instead to disable the root password and provide a sudo'd default account which should greatly reduce the chance of bots bruteforcing without adding much complexity for the customer.

and is a little annoying at times... but customer support pwns.

Will look into this SSH port change though, sounds good.
/edit ssh port change = easy
10:48am 22/04/10 Permalink
Plasma
1035 posts
You can put a password back on if you like andrewus, its just disabled by default.

You may like to just login as your vps user and then issue:
sudo su -

You then get logged in as root@yourvps
10:53am 22/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30383 posts
That reminds me, I need to change my ssh port. What is an easy/safe way to do that without locking myself out? I assume I just update the sshd.config or whatever and kill -HUP the sshd daemon?
10:59am 22/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2360 posts
Yes Plasma but my problem was that once cPanel is installed it breaks SUDO permissions and therefore doesn't allow this, hence needing Jim to do what he did and fix it for me.

In hindsight it would have proven smart to ensure a Root password existed prior to installing cPanel. But there was no way of knowing this being first time user.

Also Trog I just edit the sshd config & just be sure to have the ports open on your firewall before you restart the server, otherwise fun times ahoy!
11:38am 22/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11625 posts
That reminds me, I need to change my ssh port. What is an easy/safe way to do that without locking myself out? I assume I just update the sshd.config or whatever and kill -HUP the sshd daemon?

centos, ubuntu, debian and opensuse's sshd init scripts all provide for a full restart while logged in, without dropping you off (the process your are connected in to is left alone):

- edit sshd config, change port
- use service or init script to do restart
- test login from another client on new port
- if it worked, disconnect old one
11:40am 22/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2361 posts
^ true actually I was surprised my initial session wasn't dropped after restarting the service. very cool.
12:00pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30386 posts
jim awesome, thanks, worked fine

1) edit /etc/sshd_config and change the 'Port' line (note: /etc/ssh_config is a different file, which I found out when nothing happened the first time)
2) cd /etc/init.d
3) ./ssh reload

My main connection stayed alive, then reconnected fine to the new SECRAT PORT
12:06pm 22/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2362 posts
hey trog what are you hiding with your secrets friend?
12:07pm 22/04/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6452 posts
If your paranoid about ssh port being available, and changing the port is not security as a quick port scan will provide the number of the port you moved it to. Just use Port Knocking http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_knocking
12:16pm 22/04/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2363 posts
very cool Gumby - without threads like this we would never know stuff like Port Knocking existed. Champion.
01:08pm 22/04/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6455 posts
Remember Security through obscurity isn't security.

SSH Keys is another way, but if your like me and move around alot using lots of different computers just set up SSH to only allow specific accounts to login, disallow root and use strong passwords that aren't dictionary based and have numbers letters and special symbols.
01:30pm 22/04/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
4171 posts
See I wish GumbyNoTalent was around more often to drop the advice bomb
01:37pm 22/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11629 posts
in all fairness, habib already covered the fact that changing the port doesn't provide security - it provides far less headache for log monitoring and alarming though
01:44pm 22/04/10 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
637 posts
Moving SSH does nothing for security. It makes 1 hurdle for SSH brute force scanners to check, and there are a couple of the brute force tools that use nmap banner tests to find the SSHD running on non-standard ports.
01:57pm 22/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
6008 posts
hey trog what are you hiding with your secrets friend?

1.5TB TODO list.
02:00pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30388 posts
02:01pm 22/04/10 Permalink
Plasma
1038 posts
Moving SSH does nothing for security

I disagree; I think I've side stepped a lot of attacks I may normally get because of it.

Its a lot more expensive to port scan every host to first see they're even running SSH, instead of just moving on to the next one and trying the default port.
02:16pm 22/04/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6456 posts
I disagree; I think I've side stepped a lot of attacks I may normally get because of it.
No you just moved the problem away from script kiddies with out dated scripts. As the article that Trog posted from /. points out there are many methods for delaying or stopping force attacks, personally I just Ban IP addresses that attempt more times than is humanly possible.

iptables -N autoban
iptables -I INPUT -p TCP --dport 22 -j autoban
iptables -A autoban -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name SSH
iptables -A autoban -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP

example from the post, 4 trys in 60 secs and you banned.
02:34pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30390 posts
No you just moved the problem away from script kiddies with out dated scripts.
Well the only real measure of whether this is true or not is to find out how many attempted logins are made AFTER you've changed ports. I have only just changed so don't have data, but maybe plasma does. If he now gets zero login attempts, then it clearly does sidestep the attacks!

edit: now I want to log it. I have the default sshd logging settings:

# Logging
SyslogFacility AUTH
LogLevel INFO

I would expect that to log in to /var/log/syslog but there's nothing there?

edit#2: I'm a retard, now I see auth.log
02:44pm 22/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11636 posts
I think we just have two different takes on 'does nothing for security' here
imo it doesn't actually do anything for security - it just tends to reduce the number of attempts

edit: further on this, I mean that while the end result may be that you escaped being compromised where you otherwise might've been, it wasn't actually because your host was more secure
02:48pm 22/04/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6457 posts
imo it doesn't actually do anything for security - it just tends to reduce the number of attempts

+1 moving the port doesn't improve the service from attacks, it just obscures the initial attempts which blindly attack port 22, any "real" attack would port scan your ass and attack all ports.
03:01pm 22/04/10 Permalink
Nathan
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
3418 posts
Iif you view security in terms of number of attempted logins, then moving ports helps a lot.

If you view security as protecting against a determined human, it clearly does nothing.

If you have a personal VPS (as I do), then simply picking a strong password or (preferably) enforcing public key authentication will give you enough security. So for me on my personal not-for-business VPS, I never look at those logs because I dont care.
03:05pm 22/04/10 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1315 posts
This is what I am currently using

http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

you can set it up to ban more than just ssh failures, sends email on banning also so if your worried you can pp onto your site an cehck etc.

Monday morning had 10 different ip attempt access most seem like hacked webhosts
03:11pm 22/04/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6458 posts
OK personal opinions aside...

Security regardless of how a server that is directly connected to the internet should be similar to a point, bad practices are bad practices. However viewing obscurification as security is a common misconception held by too many people in IT. just because you reduce the likelihood of an attack by moving a port means you are still vulnerable be it reduced, security is to make yourself less vulnerable from that type of attack, in this case brute force password attacks.

So regardless of personal or business, for the small amount of administration required to configure SSH properly vs the harm that can be done by a compromised machine, always choose security over obscurity.

SSH

1. Disallow root login.
2. Only allow specific users to login.
3. Choose a strong password.
4. Set IPTABLES to BAN excessive attempts.
5. Make sure SSH is up to date, especially if you use Ubuntu < 8.10.

How hard is that?

PS : Never run Web servers or other Web based services as a privileged user (root).

last edited by GumbyNoTalent at 15:18:25 22/Apr/10
03:17pm 22/04/10 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
639 posts
Nice list Gumby.

I would also put on the list regularly cracking your own password file to check for common simple passwords being used. Get yourself a large word list and the latest "John the Ripper" and run it overnight. Make sure you find a word list with the same words used by the SSH brute force tools to make sure the basics are covered but don't just stop there, make further word list additions from the websites of your customers, just in case they are a self referencing in their password choices.

03:38pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1061 posts
if you're that paranoid about security pop an IDS instance and spool the output into Splunk which you can then nicely graph all the noise using Afterglow or just output to (pick a graph type) chart to oogle over.

Snort probably has anomaly-based inspection and restriction down to a T by now so it saves you dropping into a shell and updating your iptables ruleset if by chance you don't hardconf them in (thinking reboots wouldn't need to happen all that often but you did say you were a little noobish so...)

cpanel is a bit of a one way install unless you know how to surgically remove it after it's done fsjacking a perfectly good rhel install, found that one out the hard way after borrowing some fancy regex from it that I couldn't have been bothered writing myself ;(

last edited by trillion at 19:47:54 22/Apr/10
07:43pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30395 posts
That afterglow thing looks cool!

Reminds me of The Spinning Cube of Potential Doom, one of the coolest-named projects ever I reckon
08:34pm 22/04/10 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1062 posts
heh

"The Spinning Cube of Potential Doom or How to Keep Jaded Conference Attendees Mesmerized While Hopefully Teaching Them Something"

output(bro_ids_noise)
opengldraw_cube_of_doom(fillwithgarbage)
parse_input_against_filtered_baddies_protocol_list
openglxyz_draw_baddies(randomly_colour_the_scatter_plot_for_me_would_you_hal)
spin_cube(not_once_but_two_times)

mesmerized!

last edited by trillion at 21:29:02 22/Apr/10

last edited by trillion at 21:35:57 22/Apr/10
08:56pm 22/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:56pm 22/04/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.