We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
Pronunciation of 'cache'
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8423 posts
Stupid thread: Pronunciation of 'cache'

I always said 'Kaysh' or 'cash' even though some c**** say 'cashay' or 'kay-shay'.

What's the real story guysth?
09:40pm 21/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:40pm 21/03/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9585 posts
proper pronunciation is kash
09:44pm 21/03/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2769 posts
Kaysh
09:46pm 21/03/10 Permalink
iFraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
2018 posts
Kash.
09:48pm 21/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4495 posts
its ke$ha
09:49pm 21/03/10 Permalink
CSIRAC
Brisbane, Queensland
1881 posts
Only people who pronounce it cashayeeeeeee are ppl who dont know how to pronounce it :/
09:50pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17394 posts
dictionary dot com says it's pronounced cash

8-/
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
4470 posts
cash
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14464 posts
I would accept kaysh or cash, but cashay is just f*****g gay. Usually I say kaysh.

Used to have an english guy at work who prounced route as root, and would call a router a rooter. That never got old.
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17395 posts
route can be pronounced root, lol
09:52pm 21/03/10 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
3876 posts
09:54pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Kat
11744 posts
kay shhh
09:54pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17396 posts
ok, what about Deus Ex?

How do you guys say that name?

EDIT: would help if I spelled it properly, rofl

last edited by Reverend Evil™ at 22:11:17 21/Mar/10
09:56pm 21/03/10 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
6324 posts
Guess I'm the only retard here that says "catch" and "catched" :S

ok, what about Dues Ex?

"Deuce Ecks"

/self facepalm

last edited by CHUB at 22:02:09 21/Mar/10
09:59pm 21/03/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9586 posts
ok, what about Dues Ex?

day-us ex
10:00pm 21/03/10 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8264 posts
kaysh, but i'm pretty sure the most correct pronounciation is kash.
10:05pm 21/03/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
807 posts
Doo-ce X

Also, Cachaaaaye is probably an American/French pronunciation like how they say Coupaaaaye and Fillaaaaye instead of coupe and fillet.
10:07pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14465 posts
Yeah, its Day-us ex, its latin.
10:14pm 21/03/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6719 posts
Try this then:

Trough + ton

Phonetically it's pronounced "Trofton"

The number of illiterate / ignorant people (most of who should know better) of this that have converted it to "Trouton" make me want to stab their ears with a spoon

Full word is Troughton ...

10:17pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
477 posts
horse doovers
10:23pm 21/03/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6949 posts
kaysh
10:25pm 21/03/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2561 posts
its kaysh
Dictionary.com is american and americans dont know goodly engrish yet
10:36pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1354 posts
i like to call it cake

and dues ex is said do sex
10:45pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1285 posts
kaysh
10:46pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
5086 posts
@Hermi: that your surname? It would suck to have a surname that people consistently f***-up. I have the next best thing - my surname is similar to a first name (but not quite) so people always call me the similar name as my first name! Not only have they f***ed-up by calling me by my surname they have double f***ed-up by not even getting that word correct.

I say 'kaysh' but I'm aware that the correct is 'cash' - if I was in Europe I'd say 'cash'

I say 'deuce ecks' as above (as in, 40-40 in tennis, but not the lamo American pronunciation like doos).

How about this one: 'pronunciation' - the number of people who say pronOUnciation is approaching infinite. That annoys the hell out of me.
10:51pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
246 posts
Wiktionary says that 'kaysh' is the Australian pronunciation (for some reason), but everyone else says "cash".

"cashay" is how you say "cachet"
11:31pm 21/03/10 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2873 posts
Original question - it's pronounced cash. Did you take up Geocaching?

Used to have an english guy at work who prounced route as root, and would call a router a rooter. That never got old.

As Reverend Evil has already said, route is pronounced "root" in Australia, but call routers routers because of Americanism and politeness (and because that's what it does). I wouldn't mind if someone called it a rooter as I've done so myself.
11:31pm 21/03/10 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
17352 posts
It's day-oose (as in moose) ex.
11:35pm 21/03/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15759 posts
makes

oh wait wrong thread

I say it quiche
ok, what about Deus Ex?

deuce eks
The number of illiterate / ignorant people (most of who should know better) of this that have converted it to "Trouton" make me want to stab their ears with a spoon

Do you say through throof? Yeah, I thought not. People see the gh and assume it's said like through. English is a f***ed up language.
12:04am 22/03/10 Permalink
Morax
Brisbane, Queensland
1957 posts
if "deus ex" == "deuce ecks"
then "deus ex" = "d'you secks"
12:23am 22/03/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4885 posts
Kaysh.

And day-oose eks.
12:31am 22/03/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6347 posts
router != rooter just fyi
01:34am 22/03/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2989 posts
*Linguist weighing in*
Technically, it's pronounced like "cash".

But, I say it like /keiʃ/ "kaysh", cos it sounds cooler.

ok, what about Deus Ex?

The correct pronunciation is like "Day-us eks" or "dey-us eks". However, Latin is a dead language, so we can do whatever we want to it. Weeeee!
04:03am 22/03/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14470 posts
Latin is a dead language, so we can do whatever we want to it. Weeeee!

In general maybe, but the term "Deus Ex Machina" is used a fair bit, and the pronounciation of it was pretty well established before it became the name of a game.
05:31am 22/03/10 Permalink
Corrupt
Brisbane, Queensland
1469 posts
The correct pronunciation is kaysh. It is most certainly not kash/cash/kayshay. Also thats what dictionaries are for.
07:37am 22/03/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9587 posts
how do you get deuce out of deus?
09:14am 22/03/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16426 posts
jiggabyte
09:29am 22/03/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4886 posts
1.21 jiggawatts.
09:30am 22/03/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1634 posts
great scott!
09:48am 22/03/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5725 posts
Americans say cash
Educated and civilized people say kaysh
09:54am 22/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4496 posts
magic e makes it cayche
09:58am 22/03/10 Permalink
Nathan
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
3372 posts
I say 'kaysh' but I'm aware that the correct is 'cash' - if I was in Europe I'd say 'cash'

I'm in this boat. Everyone I know says kaysh, though I have previously read online that cash is correct. Googling it more, it seems its not as clear-cut as I thought.
10:54am 22/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4497 posts
OK listen to how an american pronounces any word..... vehicle... nuclear... diabetes... I wouldn't really pay attention to what they say.
11:11am 22/03/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5531 posts
OK listen to how an american pronounces any word..... vehicle... nuclear... diabetes... I wouldn't really pay attention to what they say.

And yet you have a Danny Zuko avatar ...
11:14am 22/03/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
3141 posts
I like how everyone bashes the Americans for their odd pronunciation of words and different spelling yet they can't see that the english language is a warzone of languages and what the American's are doing is simplifying it in a logical way (blonde -> blond etc).

Stop being such ra-tards.
11:32am 22/03/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4889 posts
How do Americans say "diabetes?"
12:01pm 22/03/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4498 posts
If you don't know already, it doesn't matter, it won't make sense to you.

[dahy-uh-bee-tis, -teez]

last edited by thermite at 12:38:28 22/Mar/10
12:03pm 22/03/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
3142 posts
12:10pm 22/03/10 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
15239 posts
kash-ay
03:11pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
729 posts
cache = "cash" according to the Oxford English Dictionary. However, I normally pronounce it as "caysh" to differentiate between the problem a client was having and what they need to pay me.

Cachet is pronounced "cashay" as some people here have indicated. It is a term indicating some form of prestige or a distinguishing mark or seal.
03:33pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Bonez
Sydney, New South Wales
189 posts
System cache is pronounced "Cash" as in cold hard

The database behind the company I work for's software is pronounced "Cashay"
04:07pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2990 posts
they can't see that the english language is a warzone of languages

This is so true. The English language has a pretty twisted past.

Imagine Proto-Germanic and Latin had a retarded baby. That retarded baby then got raped by French and gave birth to a whore. That whore then found away to absorb bits language from other languages like a whore who can absorb DNA from the ejaculate it guzzled, and proceeded to guzzle as much as it could.

The basis for what we now call English first arrived in England when Anglo-Saxon tribes began settling in England around the time the Roman Empire was declining. During this time, the language absorbed some Latin and some Celtic languages while displacing them. Things were going pretty well for Old English, when the Norman conquest occurred in 1066. With Norman nobility now ruling over England, Old English became marginalised and was only used by commoners. French was used as the language of the court, and Latin was used in the church. The English then went around colonising, trading and invading; absorbing man words as it went. The language also absorbed a lot of Old Norse as a result of Viking attacks and invasions over the years.

The heavy presence of Latin and French for so long is the reason why English is so rich in synonyms. For example, look at the words we have for meats. What we call live animal is very different from what we call it as a food stuff, like 'cow' and 'beef'. The low-class worker in the field used the word 'cow' came from, the Norman nobleman in his castle chowed down on some 'beef'. It's also interesting to note with synonyms that words which come from Old English tend to be more 'common', whereas those from French or Latin tend to sound more educated or higher-status. For example, 'fire' is from Old English and is of Germanic origin; flame and conflagration come from French and Latin respectively. The status difference is a result of French and Latin having been high status languages in the past, while Old English was low status.

The reason English pronunciation is so retarded is due to the Great Vowel Shift which began about 500 years ago. When I was a cub, I was taught that it was caused by the printing press. The invention of the printing press made printed type far more common and affordable. More people than ever before were able to afford printed material, and more people learned to read. It is thought by some that people started to pronounce words based on how they looked, as their spelling was heavily influenced by French. There would have been other significant factors involved too; such as the adoption of English as the main language of England. With all the high-class people of England now speaking English, they would have done so with a French accent. This accent would have become prestigious, and people would emulate it.

As for all the silent letters in words like 't' in listen and 'gh' in bought; it varies. The spellings of a lot of English words were changed to look more French. In the case of the silent 'gh's as in 'sight' or 'bought', the 'gh' used to be pronounced as a glottal throaty sound. This is a pain in the ass to do and this sound did not distinguish these words from existing ones, the sound was gradually phased out. I remember one of my lecturers once saying that when the printing presses were first brought to England, they were all operated by Dutch or German people, and they modified a lot of spellings to look more like the spelling of their own language. They could also make more money, as adding a few letters here and there would allow them to charge more. This may have been a joke though; sounds silly but Dutch people ARE a*******s who would do this.

As for our old friend 'cache', it came to English from the French word "cachet", which AFAIK is pronounced like /kćʃeɪ/ (kash-ay).
06:45pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
730 posts
You forget (or fail to mention) that French (like Italian, Romanian and quite a few others) are Romance Languages. As in, they were derived from Latin. In essence, French originated as badly mispronounced, lower class provincial Latin.
06:58pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
1524 posts
07:04pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2991 posts
You forget (or fail to mention) that French (like Italian, Romanian and quite a few others) are Romance Languages. As in, they were derived from Latin. In essence, French originated as badly mispronounced, lower class provincial Latin.

This is also true. As the Roman Empire spread, they enforced the use of Latin in their new territories. Language, like genetics, is divergent; so Latin used in Europe diverged and changed to become the wacky Romance languages we know and love today. By 1066, Norman-French and Latin were distinctly different languages.

Kudos on knowing that Romanian is a Romance language. Very few people know this and assume it is a Slavic language.
07:19pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
731 posts
Actually, the Romans didn't enforce it, they were quite happy for the provincials to keep whatever language/dialect they had. However, because it was desirable to emulate them, a lot of the provincial nobles hired tutors to educate their sons in Latin, in order to gain a better standing in the empire.

As for knowing that Romanian is a Romance language, I've got a bit of an advantage. I studied Latin for 6 years at school and university :)
07:43pm 22/03/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2019 posts
Thats a pretty good summary. I also hate people who say ROOTERS.

I don't care. Rou like HOUse.

Route, routing.

I don't know. It just bugs me. I used to giggle back in highschool when they said "rooter" because i figuted none of them could get laid so it was the only time they could use root in a sentence.
08:17pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Bonez
Sydney, New South Wales
190 posts
Thats a pretty good summary. I also hate people who say ROOTERS.

I don't care. Rou like HOUse.

Route, routing.

I don't know. It just bugs me. I used to giggle back in highschool when they said "rooter" because i figuted none of them could get laid so it was the only time they could use root in a sentence.

Route, I used to live on Rt 2 (route 2 pronounced root) but the only reason it was pronounced root was because the goat ropers in the area had no idea about the English language and the only way to communicate with them was to speak honky.
09:29pm 22/03/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3318 posts
not sure if this was a troll but it's 'cash', it's pronounced like the french

'caysh' is strictly by bogans, for bogans

as for route the deal seems to be 'rowt' for networking and 'root' for any other use including roads (again, french)
12:38am 23/03/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2021 posts
a had no idea about the English language and the only way to communicate with them was to speak honky.
Shut up, you're named after a TV show.
'caysh' is strictly by bogans, for bogans
Shut up, you're a name which doesn't even have the full word.
06:16am 23/03/10 Permalink
casa
Thimes
Brisbane, Queensland
3759 posts

Char-kei, roll that rrrrrrrrr
07:19am 23/03/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2031 posts
router != rooter just fyi
wait s***, hold on, why?

My lecturer has been talking about a physical hardware peice which is connected by data transmission cables which takes input data and sends it to another data transmission cable.

Can you explain if that is a rooter (like my lecturer calls it) or a router like I have been calling it since before i knew what a packet was?
08:48am 23/03/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3319 posts
Shut up, you're a name which doesn't even have the full word.

oh snap
09:14am 23/03/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2992 posts
According to Wiki, "rooter" is Aussie/UK pronunciation, the other way is American. The American pronunciation sounds better, that's what I use.
09:34am 23/03/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
2036 posts
oh snap
don't get too c***y, i used that call because i had no good comeback. oh wait, thats why you ironically said..
10:09am 23/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:09am 23/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.