We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
How to remove a user query?
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1017 posts

not sure if that title is accurate or even my understanding of the problem is right but here's the "problem".
I have a new work laptop on Win XP Pro and MS Outlook 2003 for email, usual work scenario set up.
before downloading FF for my at home use i must have used my crazymorton name to log onto to something via IE.
my issue now is that everytime i open Outlook i get one of those little windows with those MS profile heads and it has crazymorton and my work profile which is for example company\my1stname.my2ndname
so i have to use the drop down arrow and choose my work details and input the password. so i am thinking that this is because the crazymorton one is there. even if i tick the remember password box it still asks everytime i open Outlook.
I've tried to go into the user accounts but there's no crazymorton there to remove.
so is this really caused by having the crazymorton there? or is it something else?
either way how can i fix it it's really annoying!
thanks
09:12pm 05/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:12pm 05/03/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6686 posts
Tried deleting extend.dat from the Outlook folder under the username?
Otherwise check your registry settings

last edited by HERMITech at 23:45:44 05/Mar/10
11:44pm 05/03/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1018 posts
if I delete extend.dat is that going to affect my Outlook work username?

and what am I looking for in registry? just a search on user name crazymorton??
12:15pm 06/03/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6820 posts
control panel -> mail -> show profiles
diddle around in there
12:24pm 06/03/10 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6687 posts
if I delete extend.dat is that going to affect my Outlook work username?

extend.dat will rebuild itself upon the execution of Outlook.

Extend.dat keeps the registry cache of installed Exchange Client Extensions add-ins and their status. Resetting this will force Outlook to retrieve the settings from the registry again and reset their status.

and what am I looking for in registry? just a search on user name crazymorton??

Pretty much, you will see a few keys called that I would imagine if you have that as a profile.

I can't recall exactly where it is in the registry sorry.

Also, this
01:05pm 06/03/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1019 posts

tried this the only profile in there is "Outlook" and I can't find any user name for crazymorton

i'll try the other suggestions.
03:18pm 06/03/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6334 posts
Yeah worst come to worst you can delete that profile and start again. I'd backup the pst file first just in case though.
05:57pm 06/03/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1025 posts
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/crazymorton/QGL?feat=directlink

well i've tried EVERY thing above and still no luck. I've done in depth searches of the C drive and registry and deleted all references to crazymorton. I've removed and reinstalled my outlook profile. i've deleted extend.dat. but all to no avail. each time i start outlook i'm presented with this window and crazymorton just won't go away (yeah yeah i know just like irl)
it's bloody annoying...can anyone help?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iQxdRwonRzg/S5h5dA5Xv6E/AAAAAAAADrg/tf00S8bV9S8/s160-c/QGL.jpg
QGL

last edited by crazymorton at 16:15:36 11/Mar/10
04:11pm 11/03/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5429 posts
I assume you're connecting to Exchange remotely using RPC over HTTP? The problem is that "remember my password" doesn't work in Outlook. You'd still get the prompt if the crazymorton login wasn't in the list - I need to provide my password evry time I log in at home, it doesn't make me rage though :)

I haven't done it myself, but you can try this perhaps: http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2005/06/17/RPCHTTP.aspx - these guys seem to think they can make it rememebr your password.
05:58pm 11/03/10 Permalink
Chancre
Brisbane, Queensland
25 posts
You could blow away your windows user profile and start from scratch.
06:16pm 11/03/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1026 posts
I assume you're connecting to Exchange remotely using RPC over HTTP? The problem is that "remember my password" doesn't work in Outlook. You'd still get the prompt if the crazymorton login wasn't in the list - I need to provide my password evry time I log in at home, it doesn't make me rage though :)

I'm not sure about RPC? what's that? I do see in settings it's set up for HTTP but I thought that was just so I could connect via any internet link without using my VPN?
I'm just frustrated because I've never had to use my password (every time I open outlook) on a work system over exchange before. I have just logged on to the network, opened Outlook, and it just happens! no prompts for user or password. Isn't the fact fact that I'm logged in via the network and using my name and password sets up my profile or something? so maybe this one is set up different by our IT??
It's good to know that the crazymorton bit is not the issue though and thanks for the link I'll check that out.
07:04pm 11/03/10 Permalink
épic™
Brisbane, Queensland
2401 posts
dont have xp in front of me, but from memory...

control panel -> users -> advanced -> manage passwords

do i win?
10:24pm 11/03/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1028 posts
You could blow away your windows user profile and start from scratch

is that an option on a work system?

control panel -> users -> advanced -> manage passwords do i win?

no. there are both users there but i can't do anything with the crazymorton one. nothing that lets me delete it and no password for it.
10:37pm 11/03/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5431 posts
I'm not sure about RPC? what's that? I do see in settings it's set up for HTTP but I thought that was just so I could connect via any internet link without using my VPN?
It's good to know that the crazymorton bit is not the issue though and thanks for the link I'll check that out.

If its set up for HTTP then its RPC over HTTP. The link should be the right place to start.

Note that your work's IT people might want you to have to authenticate every time you open Outlook, so circumventing it might be bad ;)
10:46pm 11/03/10 Permalink
Chancre
Brisbane, Queensland
26 posts
is that an option on a work system?

Yeah, I was a little brief there. I guess this depends on how your work sets things up and whether you have admin and how annoyed your support guys will get if you mess things up badly. I was only suggesting it because you said the computer is new so you're probably still getting things set up the way you like. The sledgehammer solution can sometimes be quicker than the scalpel. The screenshots look like XP, so...

before I go into what I meant, tt's possibly you could do something similar without blowing away the user profile. You could try creating an entirely new Outlook config (is is that what you were saying you tried before? Sounded more like you were just renaming things that had "crazymorton"). In Docs & Settings\ProfileName you'll find Outlook folders under app settings and also under local settings. You could try closing Outlook entirely (and then killing it from task manager because Outlook so frequently refuses to close when you tell it to) then renaming those Outlook folders, restarting Outlook. If you still have the problem then you can go back everything else being the way it was by killing the newly created Outlook folders and renaming the old ones back.

So, if that doesn't work and you don't want to go hacking the registry:
if your normally logging on to a domain then what you could do (you'll need admin to do this):
- log on to a local (non-domain) account that has admin (you may need to create one, which is why you'll need admin to start with).
- go into docs and settings (depending on how your work sets this up, they might put the profile folders elsewhere)
- rename the folder that corresponds to the domain user account you normally log on to (e.g. to "crazymorton_old") - this has the benefit of not deleting anything and you should be able to go back to using this folder if need be ***although I'm not familiar with how this stuff works on every enterprise setup, so somebody will probably point out why I'm wrong about this.
- log off the local account
- log on to your normal domain account
- windows will create a new docs and settings folder for the domain account with default everything (which I'm assuming won't have a "crazymorton" profile in Outlook).
- copy useful stuff from the old docs & settings folders.
- set up everything again.

I'd be surprised if that didn't get rid of the crazymorton profile coming up in the password prompt. You could still have the issues that Hogfather talks about though (although I've seen it come up for people when it shouldn't, and a new user profile was the way to go - never figured out what caused it).

If it really doesn't go away I think the shortcut key for combo boxes if F4, so you could select your proper Outlook profile with two keystrokes (mmmmmm... so lazy).
07:46pm 12/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:46pm 12/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.