Bethesda ports for Switch are now two for two thanks to the great work in bringing this classic RPG to the console
Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - Our Review!
The Empire Strikes Back this ain't: a sequel that fixes some of the sins of its predecessor, but repeats mistakes, and adds in whole new problems.
Star Wars Battefront II Review... Attack of the No's
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
what domain name for global brand?
Superform
Netherlands
6046 posts
hi guys,

dont know if i'm barking up the wrong tree but does anyone have any experience with global domain name research?

i need to propose a communication domain/s for our site.

the thing is we have visits from all most countries in the world and we have secured most ccTLd

from the stats on the site most people just type or visit directly.

imho our communication url for all countries should just be domain.com

marketing always need strong arguments, my stats stand up well on their own but i was wondering if there is other respected research into this that anyone has heard off
01:57am 27/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:57am 27/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5310 posts
Err aside from .com, what would you be using?
02:20am 27/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2550 posts
*.com.NL probably.

No evidence, but surely *.com is common sense?

I hate having to justify bulls*** that's glaringly obvious, I have to do it all the time at Council because "It's ratepayers money"
Spend my time, which end the end costs the 'ratepayer' more then just buying the equipment would have.
02:33am 27/02/10 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1227 posts
Stick with .com for global, generally brands will use country specific domains as well for location specific marketing. I.e. When it identifies you as browsing from Australia it redirects to .com.au. Mostly important for different products/marketing in different regions, etc.

Is this what you're talking about?
02:43am 27/02/10 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
6047 posts
we use around 150 ccTLD's everything from .bb to .sg -

my proposal is for countries to advertise there cctld for localised content and for all other campaigns to use heineken.com

marketing think it should be www.heineken.com/starfinal changing for each campaign.

i think this is ineffective as my data shows no one types that into a browser. 3rd party banners would of course use the full url.

i'm looking for research to back up my case.

last edited by Superform at 02:46:20 27/Feb/10
02:45am 27/02/10 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1228 posts
It depends if the presence on the site for the campaign is just a landing page or more involved? Also what is the primary source of traffic? Does it matter what the URL is?
03:12am 27/02/10 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1328 posts
I would like to help but I don't quite understand you.

So how would you run different campaigns from heineken.com? I would assume heineken.com would be your landing page, then www.heineken.com/campaignname would be a fair way to go. It's SEO friendly as far as I'm aware (people can google the campaign name and find it easy) ?

Do you mean to have something like starfinal.heineken.com? Or is your major beef that marketing don't want to make use of the ccTLDs and run all their campaigns universally from .com? If it's the latter, you could provide some statistics (I think I read a white paper survey) which proved that brand recognition was more reputable in Japan with a .jp domain. Another thing to look at would be that if you are to use ccTLDs that website would be bound to whatever internet laws the country has (I guess the latest example would be google.cn and all that drama).

Not sure if that helps.
03:38am 27/02/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3389 posts
Dell has an excellent policy on this. They use a different URL and often even a different phone number for every campaign. This allows them to track easily how many hits over phone/web/etc they get per campaign, which gives them a lot of insight into what does/doesn't work in regards to marketing campaigns.

I would suggest global initiatives/campaigns should use
http://heinekin.com/campaign_name, but region specific campaigns should push their local TLD domain ( Heineken.co.uk or whatever ) to get punters used to seeing their localized page in the domain. But I would make the campaign name work from any TLD anyway in case punters do something dumb.

I would think the .com would probably redirect people to their location's TLD anyways ( with an override option if they're via vpn or something which makes getting their location from their IP erroneous ).

Doing this will allow you to track hits to the site that are specifically directed to/from a particular campaign ( whether it be banner, email, print or whatever media ).

04:19am 27/02/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1093 posts
Wouldn't it be best to register as many as possible just in case? .com .com.au .etc etc etc?
05:20am 27/02/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3390 posts
Wouldn't it be best to register as many as possible just in case? .com .com.au .etc etc etc?

Wouldn't it be best to read the thread properly before posting.
06:41am 27/02/10 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7137 posts
The company I just started working for is changing from .com.au to .com

Started as smaller Australian company, but now that there has been a bit of international expansion, its off to .com
08:01am 27/02/10 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
2178 posts
Seeing as your not direct marketing what is the point in any of this? Most of these campaigns would simply be a branding exercise?
10:09am 27/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4683 posts
marketing (or advertising) people probably wants those heinekin.com/campaign addresses so they can track effectiveness of the different campaigns.

the only reason you would use anything other than .com as a base url would be to add authenticity to the heritage. ie a netherland beer looks more like a netherlands beer if it has .nl.

imo, i'd register new campaign names as .com's. jo public is actually more likely to remember the campaign than the product the campaign is for.
10:40am 27/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4211 posts
I googled this to try and find a good argument for dot coms, and all I got was this thread.

Perhaps just ask the marketting people to each think of the most popular site on the Internet. Then pray most of them pick dot coms.

oh I found an article saying to use local domains 6 ways local domains crush dot coms :/
11:10am 27/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17346 posts
sifnt just use heineken.com as teh GLOBAL landing page and GLOBAL advertising brand, from there the .com has users select their country and then from there it appends the local .whatever slash campaign

i.e. heineken.com -> select AU -> heineken.com.au/superformshouldlearntodohisownjob

EDIT: I agree with you superform just so we're clean, but I don't have any evidence to back up the claims :)
11:33am 27/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29578 posts
FWIW I would also consider the technical issues of different domains. Google will see them as different things, thus diluting your brand awareness across all domains (probably not a big deal for something like the Big H, and it might actually be better for you if you want to have better per-country search fidelity anyway). I am not sure if you can teach Google to consider different domains as part of the same thing for ranking purposes (we redirect all our .com.au's to .com for AG to avoid the problem).
11:48am 27/02/10 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
2180 posts
What are the campaigns?
10:07am 01/03/10 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
1844 posts
Best practise for this is to have Heineken.com automatically redirect the visitor to their local TLD Heineken site based on their IP location.

All marketing should send them straight to Heineken.com. Consistent message, consisten brand.

Somewhere on each of the localised sites you have a switcher to visit other nations' sites if they really want to see another nation's site etc.

It's important to use local TLD sites because

1) different countries have different laws regarding advertising alcohol
2) different countries need different campaigns

SEO is not a factor for major brand campaign sites like this, I wouldn't bother putting it in the discussion unless a campaign revolved around it.

What agency are you with by the way?

last edited by Nitro at 11:19:04 01/Mar/10
11:16am 01/03/10 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
1845 posts
Actually I would just do something like Heineken.com/AU and use the local TLDs to redirect to these region specific areas - easier to manage the site that way.
11:17am 01/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:17am 01/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.