Bethesda ports for Switch are now two for two thanks to the great work in bringing this classic RPG to the console
Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - Our Review!
The Empire Strikes Back this ain't: a sequel that fixes some of the sins of its predecessor, but repeats mistakes, and adds in whole new problems.
Star Wars Battefront II Review... Attack of the No's
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Operation "F*** Google up Week".
darkjedi
Brisbane, Queensland
2292 posts
Cliff notes: People with issues about Google in Berlin decided to screw with Google. In short, made a fake Street View car and drove it around, including parking it out front of the Chinese Embassy & other things to mess with Google's image.

Source

F.A.T. Lab: F*** Google Week Wrap Up from Evan Roth on Vimeo.

10:06am 24/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:06am 24/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
653 posts
I haven't read any of the links you posted, but in short, what are the German's problem with Google?
10:11am 24/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29501 posts
Here are their reasons:
It is the fact that a corporate entity, even one as beloved and competent as Google, is in control of such a large stake in the digital network and public utility upon which we have all grown so reliant. And, that as a publicly traded company, it doesn’t have to answer to anyone but its largest shareholders, despite the fact that its decisions effect the lives and private information of millions of people. Few even question or raise a voice in opposition to the Google-ification of the Internet.
Basically, they're idiots who are worried that people don't realise that when they're using a Google product, they're using a Google product.
10:19am 24/02/10 Permalink
darkjedi
Brisbane, Queensland
2293 posts
I found that part funny too. Is it meant to be some sort of ironic joke?

Either way konstie, in the time you took to post "what's the point" you could've read the link and seen for yourself. Sheesh.
10:22am 24/02/10 Permalink
Mr.Bumpy
Melbourne, Victoria
160 posts
*affect
10:23am 24/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1895 posts
Oh cool. So more or less, their operation is defamation. It sounds all well and good, but once again its rebels without a cause thinking they are raging against the machine. Good job boys, glad there are so many problems in the world that you have to rebell against the CHANCE there could be one in the future.

Although if they took a stronger stance against the google buzz incident they easily could have had a decent point.

With that said - I think buzz created such a large amount of negative hype because it didn't have a large enough invite only beta stage. Google normally have a massive invite only beta period and that product seemed to forget why.
10:28am 24/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4182 posts
And how does the fake streetview car mess up google's images? The video was real long and the article didn't explain.
10:29am 24/02/10 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
881 posts
Here are their reasons:
It is the fact that a corporate entity, even one as beloved and competent as Google, is in control of such a large stake in the digital network and public utility upon which we have all grown so reliant. And, that as a publicly traded company, it doesn’t have to answer to anyone but its largest shareholders, despite the fact that its decisions effect the lives and private information of millions of people. Few even question or raise a voice in opposition to the Google-ification of the Internet.
Basically, they're idiots who are worried that people don't realise that when they're using a Google product, they're using a Google product.

It sounds to me that they'd rather have someone like a government control these sorts of services and information.

Oh cool. So more or less, their operation is defamation. It sounds all well and good, but once again its rebels without a cause thinking they are raging against the machine. Good job boys, glad there are so many problems in the world that you have to rebell against the CHANCE there could be one in the future.

Isn't that what we're doing with the R18+ thing? just saying...

With that said - I think buzz created such a large amount of negative hype because it didn't have a large enough invite only beta stage. Google normally have a massive invite only beta period and that product seemed to forget why.

And that invite only beta period worked so well for google wave (google what?)
10:34am 24/02/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6402 posts
Dont like Google search use Yahoo or Bing or any of the gazillion other search engines available...

Dont like Google mail, use Yahoo or Hotmail or any of the gazillion free email services available on the internet.

Seriously, what is all the fricken fuss about, just tall poppy syndrome again.

11:13am 24/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4711 posts
I love Google, why would I want to f*** with them?
11:53am 24/02/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16286 posts
Ve still vant ze competition, Google, or ve f*** you up.
Ja, and ve kill ze girl.
11:53am 24/02/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3300 posts
ich bin GOOGLE
01:27pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1216 posts

Google reserve the right to do whatever they want with any and all of your information forever, it's not going to be good times.

Their motto of "do no evil" went out the window years ago, I wouldn't trust them.

The Onion did it well.

last edited by Viper119 at 13:36:44 24/Feb/10
01:33pm 24/02/10 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
5207 posts
pretty dumb.
must be all that minimal tech they listen over there.
01:40pm 24/02/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2530 posts
Germany controls the EC now.
The 4th Reich has begun.
01:53pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4504 posts
And how does the fake streetview car mess up google's images? The video was real long and the article didn't explain.
Their image, not their images. Learn to read.
02:06pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2532 posts
Because the China thinks teh google are spying. Then get all like "Hey Google, you's spying" and googles all like "I's not spying"

In the end, nobody really cares and Google has these insects killed on in a few months.
02:09pm 24/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
658 posts
I found that part funny too. Is it meant to be some sort of ironic joke? Either way konstie, in the time you took to post "what's the point" you could've read the link and seen for yourself. Sheesh.

i clicked your f*****g link and got :

Request denied by WatchGuard HTTP proxy.
Reason: one or more categories denied helper='\ Webblocker.2' details='Streaming Media'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method: GET
Host: vimeo.com
Path: /9455140

so get off my back, f**.
02:12pm 24/02/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
3872 posts
konstie I don't see what's wrong with the link other your own firewall kicking back a site based on streaming content present
02:44pm 24/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
660 posts
konstie I don't see what's wrong with the link other your own firewall kicking back a site based on streaming content present

work blocks it unfortunately, so I can't change it. i just asked for a rundown cause i can't see the website; funnily enough i am interested in the topic!

didn't think it was so hard to quote it, as trog was kind enough to provide.
02:51pm 24/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2004 posts
People use google because they make good products, well better than anyone else is doing, and hence that huge worldwide popularity has given them s***loads of money to then do things that no other company has anywhere near the resources to do, apart from governments, but governments arent worldwide so realy these isnt anyone in the same position as google is.
03:19pm 24/02/10 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
6403 posts
but governments arent worldwide so realy these isnt anyone in the same position as google is.

So name 1 Google Product that doesn't have a competitor?

Also Google make a majority of their money from AdWords. :)

Google lead the market because they did it better, all the products they have delivered to date already existed before Google made their version.
03:46pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1262 posts
I haven't given Google a dollar from my bank account yet and they still give me free services. What isn't to like about them?

No one is forcing me to use their services. Back off.
06:11pm 24/02/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
731 posts
Oh noes, not my informations!

This is like if PETA decided to do their protests by eating meat.
06:26pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5259 posts
People use google because they make good products, well better than anyone else is doing, and hence that huge worldwide popularity has given them s***loads of money to then do things that no other company has anywhere near the resources to do, apart from governments, but governments arent worldwide so realy these isnt anyone in the same position as google is.

Silly billy, Google barely ranks in the top 500 companies

They're like number 430 or something. There are much bigger dogs than Google. Royal Dutch Shell's revenues are about half of Australia's GDP...

last edited by Hogfather at 18:49:30 25/Feb/10
05:16pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3307 posts
Germany controls the EC now.
The 4th Reich has begun.

maybe they'll carry out the first ever holocaust amirite
05:29pm 25/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2006 posts
Silly billy, Google barely ranks in the top 500 companies

Yeah but how many are tech companies? Also by resources I mean the things like the huge servers farms they have etc.

So name 1 Google Product that doesn't have a competitor

Streetview in google maps. There is no comparable product to google maps.

06:47pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5263 posts
Yeah but how many are tech companies? Also by resources I mean the things like the huge servers farms they have etc.

#12: General Electric
#29: AT&T
#30: Siemens
#32: Hewlett-Packard
#117 Microsoft

#427 Google.

They're just the ones I noticed off the top of my head. Even Accenture has more clout than Google. Should I go on?

You also compared Google to Governments. Google has nowhere near the resources of a Government. With a comparatively pissy 21B turnover they don't compare to Governments by at least one order of magnitude by any real measure.
06:51pm 25/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2007 posts

So why arent anyone of them doing what google is doing?
06:56pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5264 posts
So why arent anyone of them doing what google is doing?

What is Google doing that other companies aren't?
06:58pm 25/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2008 posts
What is Google doing that other companies aren't?

Search, Video, Maps. Gmail, Picasa, Chrome, plus more and thats just there free products.

there realy isnt another company that does everything that google does.
07:08pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5266 posts
None of those products are unique to Google.

Google does a lot of things better than others, and some of them for free that others charge for, but they're not dong anything particularly unique.
07:12pm 25/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2010 posts
but they're not dong anything particularly unique.

Not realy, they just do what they do better than most other people. Theres also not many people (if any) that do all those things, so people use google becuase its familiar and it all integrates.
07:17pm 25/02/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
3880 posts
I don't think Google tries to boil the ocean with their products. I think they take an existing idea and make it work, and work well and keep it simple. Also isn't GE more fiance heavy these days
07:19pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5268 posts
but they're not dong anything particularly unique.
Not realy, they just do what they do better than most other people. Theres also not many people (if any) that do all those things, so people use google becuase its familiar and it all integrates.

That's a massive step down from 'Google is so big they do stuff that only Governments have the resources to do'.

Google does stuff because it fits into their business plan, like every other business. That is all.
07:24pm 25/02/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2548 posts
maybe they'll carry out the first ever holocaust amirite

According to new laws just passed in Hungary you can be jailed for making a joke that includes The Holocaust.
07:36pm 25/02/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2478 posts
According to new laws just passed in Hungary you can be jailed for making a joke that includes The Holocaust

Even if its not funny?
11:30pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
3309 posts
what if it's actually a holocaust affirmation, but thru sarcasm
12:16am 26/02/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16298 posts
In Australia you can be jailed for making a joke about Daniel Morcombe.
12:18am 26/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1905 posts
In Australia you can be jailed for making a joke about Daniel Morcombe.

To be fair the lack of respect in that joke was phenomenal. Though charges seemed to be what news.com.au was IMPLYING not what actually will happen.
Because if you check their headline
Daniel Morcombe Facebook page - creator may be charged
But then check the text
Police today confirmed they were investigating the matter and the Catholic boys school involved, Marist College Ashgrove, said the student responsible had been suspended, and could face an even harsher penalty.
and a few other things. It honestly sounds like they're sensationalizing the whole thing. They asked the police a bunch of s*** questions and got nothing but generic responses saying they weren't definitely doing one or the other. Which has no indication to suggest it will do anything. They're just saying enough to not be held accountable for any action.

The jail idea is totally and solely the idea of news.com.au

In fact there are a few articles like:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/technology-outstrips-the-law/story-e6frg71x-1225834524848

Technology outstrips the law
The internet should not be beyond the reach of justice
THE sickening Facebook posts following two child deaths in Queensland should deliver a jolt to authorities, who have up to now been reluctant to enforce the law in cyberspace.

Defamation is one thing, but again the press sensationalizing everything is another. A lawyer would acquit any charges based on the fact that nothing was said defamatory nor was it ever intended as anything to be taken seriously. Sure we don't have parody laws, but you can cite precedent that because a lot of other jokes have been made about dead people and bad people and tragic events, it is in line with social values that these jokes will continue to play and not to make some kid in marist college a scapegoat to keep everyone happy.

Oh my god.

Do i sound like faceman right now?
02:08am 26/02/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8307 posts
Dunno skythra man, my IQ isn't high enough to read that Australian article. Can't comment.
02:16am 26/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:16am 26/02/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.