We take id Software's classic on the road, literally, to see how it stacks up on the Nintendo Switch.
DOOM. Nintendo Switch. Review.
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
QGL Skin for AusGamers Forum - v2 Now Available!
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29432 posts
QGL theme support for the AusGamers forums is now available!

We're asking as many people as possible to switch over, so if it's not a hassle for you, please follow the below simple steps to do so!

HOW TO ENABLE THE QGL SKIN

To activate:

1) go to the AusGamers Site Options page (logging in if you haven't already)
2) select the QGL option from the 'forum theme' drop down, and optionally check the full-width checkbox.
3) click here to go to the forum root (this is the EXACT SAME forum contents as QGL) - done!

More information / history

Update #2, 25-02-2009

The second batch of updates have gone in. This batch fixes a stack of small styling issues, adds some missing things (top-bar pager, bottom-bar breadcrumbs), and is more QGL themed (same post icon set).

----

At long last, the QGL Skin for the AusGamers Forum is off the TODO and a piece of reality. Was hoping to get it ready for release today but we're waiting until Monday.

It has pretty much everything QGL does, including full-width browsing.

I know it has been a long time coming; I've been trying to find time to justify it for years but we've only just now been able to swing it. I hope that people like it; it is the result of some clever and patient work by our developers (particularly Spadbob and Saint) and our designer she-ra to make sure everything looked as good as possible.

I am particularly impressed by it; I honestly did not expect it to come out looking this good and am almost persuaded to migrate to it myself. Several of the guys in the office here (who all still use the QGL Forum, much to my outright disgust at their lack of adaptability!@#) have indicated that it is definitely good enough to make them migrate, so that's a good recommendation.

Comments and feedback appreciated; again we'll have it available (probably) Monday for people to check out in more detail.

Q&A:
Do I have to change?
Nope.

Why should I change?
We're trying to get all our code under a single site. There's a lot of effort that has gone into the AusGamers Forum; it's much neater, it's faster, it's more standards compliant, blahblahblah. None of those are enough reason by themselves, but we're hoping now it has a soothing blue QGL skin, people will be happy to migrate over as the differences now are much tinier.

In short, using this site will help help us out - getting more users on the AusGamers.com will help us justify doing more stuff with the forums, including more features and better services.

Why didn't you copy the QGL site EXACTLY? How do you expect me to survie if the font size of people's nicks isn't identical!
Some things we thought looked a bit better in the AG style. Some things we just didn't bother changing. Open to feedback.

What are those weird little grey links (game discussion, etc)?
They are sub-categories for the forum showing what 'area' the post lives in. These are still being tested but the hope is people will use them to easily filter down into topics of a particular type.

This bit of the site is clearly the wrong colour, are you guys blind or just stupid!?!
There are a few tiny outstanding things that need fixing (mostly just formatting).

Will the entire AG site be themed?
At this stage it's just the forums. Open to feedback on this issue but probably not, just because it's a lot of work and we don't think people really will care(?).

What other new features are you looking at?
We have a list of stuff. First and foremost is a mobile version of forums for iPhone and other mobile users - lightweight, simple, easy, fast. There's a few things we're going to steal from other forums usability enhancements that we've got factored in as well.

Screenshots (click to embiggen):

http://trog.qgl.org/up/s_ag-qgl-1.jpg

http://trog.qgl.org/up/s_ag-qgl-2.jpg

http://trog.qgl.org/up/s_ag-qgl-3.jpg
05:01pm 19/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:01pm 19/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5627 posts
troggles .. I'm jumping the fence for you.
05:04pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5188 posts
Props on the skin, I reckon I may even switch, especially if it eventually makes your life a bit easier. Needs a delete post button tho.

First and foremost is a mobile version of forums for iPhone and other mobile users

Yes, yes yes.
05:06pm 19/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4213 posts
props (qgl user here).

I'll show you adaptablity and give it a whirl on Monday.
05:07pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
2326 posts
oooh looks hawt. sign me up
05:08pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Pirroh
Melbourne, Victoria
122 posts
I like it a lot more than the current theme and I haven't even been on QGL.
05:09pm 19/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6703 posts
looks pretty good

but don't turn off qgl (and i don't think you will) because ausgamers is blocked at work where as qgl isn't
05:10pm 19/02/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4967 posts
Why are you so intent on categorising everything? One of my likes about QGL forum is that it is a mixed bag.

Oh wait it doesn't look like you're forcing people to browse via the categories in those screenshots so can probably disregard the above!

Ps. It looks good.

last edited by re so at 17:20:51 19/Feb/10
05:13pm 19/02/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
714 posts
Definitely looks like a winner, much better than the bright Ausgamers forums.
05:15pm 19/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
992 posts
This just proves that the majority of people who provide feedback on ausgamers.com issues are QGL members...
05:20pm 19/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29433 posts
Why are you so intent on categorising everything? One of my likes about QGL forum is that it is a mixed bag.
I have OCD when it comes to classifying data; the mixed-bag thing isn't going anywhere - its just an optional extra for those who want to drill down
05:20pm 19/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4668 posts
q: how do i turn the skin on?
05:23pm 19/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29435 posts

a: wait until monday when we launch it
05:26pm 19/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4214 posts
q: can I have access to the admin area? is that where the phat loot is counted?
05:27pm 19/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6704 posts
spoot thread + rub it a bit
05:28pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14287 posts
a soothing blue QGL skin

Yeah, this is the big drawcard for me, Ausgamers is so stark and... and... white! I find QGL much more pleasurable to look at :P QGL is so friendly looking and welcoming, its like the venus fly trap of forums that lures people in with its calm, relaxing colours and then crushes them when they make their first post.

Also looking forward to the mobile version!
05:29pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28069 posts
people should migrate for the search alone, and the sneaky edit.

i personally am waiting until my abuse of qgl.org at work gets qgl blocked, and then ill start the abuse of ausgamers
05:34pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10048 posts
Best thing is going to be having a low contrast skin. Getting up in the middle of the night because you can't sleep then loading AG forums hurts, QGL colours were always much better for that purpose :)
05:37pm 19/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4117 posts
I'll tell you why I still use qgl.ausforums, because this place is called qgl, and when you type 'qgl' into the address - that's what comes up.

Anwyays, about the new skin. You've made some changes for the worse - centering usernames, for example, and you've included some things nobody ever liked, like those cheap gradients that go from a color to black, which is a really hard thing to make appealing.

05:38pm 19/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4215 posts

Best thing is going to be having a low contrast skin. Getting up in the middle of the night because you can't sleep then loading AG forums hurts, QGL colours were always much better for that purpose :)

this.
05:42pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2585 posts

this.

this.
05:52pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2510 posts
Looks the goods. I'll give it a go all next week and decide where to go from there.
05:57pm 19/02/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5520 posts
how do i turn the skin on?
06:11pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2511 posts
Wait till Monday.
06:16pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
903 posts

Looks great, nice work!
06:17pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Python
Sydney, New South Wales
388 posts
06:31pm 19/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29439 posts
qgl.ausforums.com

=]
what is that supposed to mean
06:39pm 19/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2241 posts

I like it a lot.

Extra kudos for including my post in the screenshot.

06:40pm 19/02/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8293 posts
06:43pm 19/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5128 posts
I endorse this product and/or service.
06:46pm 19/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15509 posts
Whoa, I'm in love with that qgl ausgamers skin.
Does it have these thingys?

I don't think I've ever used those things for as long as they've been there.
06:53pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6303 posts
awesooooooooooooooooooooooome. Hurry up and make it live already!@?
07:22pm 19/02/10 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3092 posts
I still have www.qgl.org as the address, I've never used Ausgamers. What are the other people on Ausgamers like, do the other states have their own sites?
07:29pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Tremble
Brisbane, Queensland
244 posts
Why would I switch to a skin that looks like qgl.ausforums.com when I can just go to qgl.ausforums.com and get the real deal? I'll take no imitations thank you very much.
07:32pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14293 posts
Why would I switch to a skin that looks like qgl.ausforums.com when I can just go to qgl.ausforums.com and get the real deal?

Maybe...

We're trying to get all our code under a single site. There's a lot of effort that has gone into the AusGamers Forum; it's much neater, it's faster, it's more standards compliant, blahblahblah. None of those are enough reason by themselves, but we're hoping now it has a soothing blue QGL skin, people will be happy to migrate over as the differences now are much tinier.

In short, using this site will help help us out - getting more users on the AusGamers.com will help us justify doing more stuff with the forums, including more features and better services.
07:40pm 19/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1561 posts
I tentatively approve. We'll see after Monday.

But yeah, it'll require something special to get me to change my Top Sites button in Safari from qgl.
07:40pm 19/02/10 Permalink
koopz
New Zealand
8570 posts
thanks for this - I've always hoped you blokes would do it
07:43pm 19/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5129 posts
I wonder if this should be made a sticky, trog?
07:44pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2828 posts
I think you've confirmed this for already trog, but is the "General Chat" section all of the threads, like we'd see at qgl?

If so, I'll switch (for the sneaky edit) and search capability.
07:44pm 19/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29440 posts
I think you've confirmed this for already trog, but is the "General Chat" section all of the threads, like we'd see at qgl?

If so, I'll switch (for the sneaky edit) and search capability.
Yes it is, sorry that should be in Q&A
I still have www.qgl.org as the address, I've never used Ausgamers. What are the other people on Ausgamers like, do the other states have their own sites?
they are the exact same forums, with all the familiar faces you've come to know and love and hate
07:58pm 19/02/10 Permalink
gamer
364 posts
please dont take www.qgl.org away :(
07:59pm 19/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1564 posts
^ I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been to www.qgl.org. I've always headed straight to qgl.ausforums.com.
08:52pm 19/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6705 posts
same as euphoria. never go to qgl.org, only ever go to qgl.ausforums.com
08:58pm 19/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
1990 posts
even if you merge the forums into one codebase, I reckon you should make qgl.ausforums.com go straight to the general section of ausgamers forum, that would make everyone happy.
09:17pm 19/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
1991 posts
maybe sneak a qgl logo in there somewhere too.
09:19pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Chancre
Brisbane, Queensland
24 posts
I can dig it, although I probably can't speak for the other filthy lurkers.
09:41pm 19/02/10 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3093 posts
I've been using qgl.org for nigh on ten winters, I only ever visit Ausgamers in its capacity as a file mirror.

*EDIT* So I'm too old to remember anything new, leave my go-to addresses be.
09:50pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10051 posts
Since General Chat as it's currently configured is just an aggregate of the all subforums that have been created (like QGL is), we were thinking about giving it a different name (as most people recognise General Chat as just being the forum you go to post stuff that doesn't explicity fit into other categories so it's not immediately obvious that it's an aggregate).

Does anyone have a good idea for a better name for it than General Chat?
09:51pm 19/02/10 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3094 posts
What's the point of changing the name? Sounds like an accurate description. SA has GBS, OCAU has The Pub, but General Chat gets the point across.
09:53pm 19/02/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2468 posts
How come the screen shots are from November?

Also, what Rev said. Will the "Image" "Quote" and "URL" cheaty shortcuts be available when posting?
09:59pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17305 posts
Looks awesome

I wanna use it but I like how everything now is ordered from recent to last. I would prolly miss something by having to check thru all those sub-category thingys.
10:13pm 19/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29441 posts
Looks awesome

I wanna use it but I like how everything now is ordered from recent to last. I would prolly miss something by having to check thru all those sub-category thingys.
If you access General Chat / Latest threads it is 100% exactly the same as the current QGL forum

Also, what Rev said. Will the "Image" "Quote" and "URL" cheaty shortcuts be available when posting?
we can throw them in easily enough
10:15pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17307 posts
Ok, I'll give it a try but I'm easily scared of change
10:21pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10052 posts
What's the point of changing the name? Sounds like an accurate description. SA has GBS, OCAU has The Pub, but General Chat gets the point across.
That's precisely the point.

General Chat on AG forums currently is not like GBS on SA or The Pub on OCAU, what it is is a big list of every thread that get's posted in every subforum.

Some people prefer everything in one, so we're going to keep it, but we're thinking it would be better to create a new subform just for miscelaneous discussion (like GBS/The Pub et al) and give what is currently 'General Chat' a more fitting name, like 'The Works' or 'The Lot' or All 'Latest Threads' or something.

Reason being, if the forum does eventually become more populus, the catchall forum will become a little too unweidly for people that just want to discuss something that doesn't fit into the other current categories without it dropping of the first page within an hour.

It's from a staging site that has an older database for testing purposes.
They aren't at present but I'm sure the dev's have it under consideration. The current functionality automatically inserts the quote tags if you hit that 'Post Reply' button on the post you want to quote - as you can see trog is doing in the 3rd screenshot there.
10:27pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2831 posts
If you access General Chat / Latest threads it is 100% exactly the same as the current QGL forum

Thanks for confirming that trog. I'll be making the switch then.
10:27pm 19/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4121 posts
10:31pm 19/02/10 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8706 posts
You're a noob if you need to use buttons to insert quotes, images or URLs into posts.

Straight-coding all the way, b******.
10:32pm 19/02/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4968 posts
CALL IT HAMBURGERS DAN
10:32pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2513 posts
Universal, Panoptic or Blanket forum?

Or just call it 'All-in-one'
10:46pm 19/02/10 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3096 posts
Some people prefer everything in one, so we're going to keep it, but we're thinking it would be better to create a new subform just for miscelaneous discussion (like GBS/The Pub et al) and give what is currently 'General Chat' a more fitting name, like 'The Works' or 'The Lot' or All 'Latest Threads' or something.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought it was a sub-forum of chat you were trying to name, not the mixed bag of everything. The Works and The Lot both seem appropriate, as does "The Deep End" and "Lucky Dip" :) Who wants to trawl through everything on a large forum? With QGL forums alone it's fine, the pace is manageable, but a larger forum would be hard unless you were an enemployed layabout with the time to sit around F5-ing and spamming every thread.
10:56pm 19/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1565 posts
call it The Sink

As in: everything including the kitchen sink.

11:03pm 19/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17304 posts
yeah looks good, I'll probably give it a lash next week.

also I'd say this 'skin' was done to ensure the AG/Mammoth team get more 'users/hits' on the ausgamers domain, thus more phat lewts from dodgy advertising companies that take over my screen!!

11:16pm 19/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17305 posts
have a 25 words or less comp to rename general chat

lols I am on fire tonight :)
11:21pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10055 posts
have a 25 words or less comp to rename general chat
Nah, that would mean that the judges actually have to read the entries. OLOLOLOL
11:38pm 19/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5130 posts
How about the "Sub Forum of Hope & Wonder"
11:39pm 19/02/10 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8707 posts

And a total time sink.
11:41pm 19/02/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1891 posts
How about we call it QGL, but never explain to newbies why.
11:45pm 19/02/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
717 posts
We should call it The Forum Formally Known As *.

12:01am 20/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2514 posts
*.* would be a good name.
12:04am 20/02/10 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1360 posts
Looks good (Y)
12:18am 20/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15512 posts
dammit scooter you read my mind :(

What about "All Inclusive" or "Everything"?

It does seem like a silly idea to have a bunch of sub forums but still have one giant forum with everything jumbled into it on the same site. Why can't you just separate general chat into its own sub forum?

last edited by whoop at 01:34:29 20/Feb/10
01:27am 20/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5196 posts
Why can't you just separate general chat into its own sub forum?

If this means I need to view different forums to catch up recent flamewars then count me out sir.
01:44am 20/02/10 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3514 posts
qgl 4eva
07:22am 20/02/10 Permalink
koopz
New Zealand
8575 posts
Does anyone have a good idea for a better name for it than General Chat?

+10char

tits

forum overview

here be dragons

18+ only

ninja something something

oh hey - here's a crazy idea. how about calling it 'Forum' by default but letting users to choose to customise it in their AG account preferences?

that's my new approach to forms now. f*** trying to make everyone happy - let them create their own.
07:47am 20/02/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28072 posts
"spooks playground"
08:07am 20/02/10 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3106 posts
Will the front page have a survey asking what games you'd like to see at the next LAN?
09:19am 20/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1566 posts

And a total time sink.
Yeah, names with double meanings are always fun.

How about we call it QGL, but never explain to newbies why.
nice.
09:49am 20/02/10 Permalink
Term
Queensland
4552 posts
'details of the next lan event' would be my pick :)
09:49am 20/02/10 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
9470 posts
but don't turn off qgl (and i don't think you will) because ausgamers is blocked at work where as qgl isn't

My work recently blocked QGL.....maybe I was spending too much time on it....:( Makes the days a lot longer :(

Can you guys host it somewhere new with a new web address? kthx
10:14am 20/02/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5224 posts
thookslaw
10:17am 20/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4678 posts
My work recently blocked QGL.....maybe I was spending too much time on it....:( Makes the days a lot longer :(

http://daveproxy.co.uk/
03:31pm 20/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29446 posts

like www.ausgamers.com/forums?
05:52pm 20/02/10 Permalink
justrev
Melbourne, Victoria
106 posts
My work recently blocked QGL.

ausgamers is blocked cos the word gamers is in it
stop surfing on the boss, get a usb wireless plan and notebook/mini computer and pay your own way to see the sites you wanna.
you got a job you can afford it
06:10pm 20/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11525 posts
My work recently blocked QGL.....maybe I was spending too much time on it

lolz waiting for this to happen at my work
07:37pm 20/02/10 Permalink
Fn
Brisbane, Queensland
5653 posts
Wow looks great guys, will give this a whirl fo shizzal.
Its sort of like upgrading to the next windows, oh what will the future bring, how exciting!
08:26pm 20/02/10 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1082 posts
Quick reply at the bottom of thread = win.
08:32pm 20/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6707 posts
uh thats an option you have been able to turn on for yonks
08:32pm 20/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15518 posts
Its sort of like upgrading to the next windows, oh what will the future bring, how exciting!
Don't say that, trog will make us enter a captcha every 90 days to make sure we're not spam bots anf if we log in to multiple addresses at once he'll ban us untill we phone tech suport and explain how we weren't using QGL on more than one PC at a time, we just "moved our PC to a friends house".
08:37pm 20/02/10 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7122 posts
duh - call it the mixed bag. (thx reso)

and just have a descriptive line underneath that explains its an agregation of all of the forums.
11:40am 21/02/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
5994 posts
i dont really get the difference between the two, i ttype qgl.ausforums.com into the address bar and then read threads

i think i am 80% of users here
11:43am 21/02/10 Permalink
Fn
Brisbane, Queensland
5654 posts
Is it Monday yet?
12:46pm 21/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2518 posts
Is it Monday yet?

I wonder what time in the morning most people on here start work.
08:16am 22/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4675 posts
08:31am 22/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1567 posts
I had a look in profile/account settings, nothing there.
08:39am 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
611 posts
trog doesn't get into work until 9am pplz!
08:42am 22/02/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4164 posts
I just love that you managed to get 'embiggen' in there somehow.
But any idea why QGL somehow displays like this for me? Happens maybe one in every 10 times.

http://yfrog.com/4ie2swj
09:07am 22/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5629 posts
How do I change to the QGL skin? I can't find anything under profile / site settings.
09:34am 22/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11279 posts
can we get an ausgamers skin for qgl?
09:40am 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4134 posts
I don't think it's ready yet.
09:41am 22/02/10 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3515 posts
is it ready yet?
09:55am 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5209 posts
is it ready yet?
is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

is it ready yet?

10:05am 22/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5630 posts
I even woke up early for this..
10:05am 22/02/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4972 posts
OMG IT'S LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10:07am 22/02/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5522 posts
Still can't see where to turn it on?
10:26am 22/02/10 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
846 posts
Notice how people didn't respond to your quip there Jim......asif
10:26am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29460 posts
are you guys serious? you think we'd set it live and not say anything?

It's live as of right now. To turn it on go to site options on AG and select it in the theme drop down (and optionally turn on full-width checkbox).
10:27am 22/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10061 posts
Make sure you turn the separate full width mode toggle on also (recommend doing this even if you're using the standard AG forum colours) - fixed width forum FTL.
10:28am 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5210 posts
OHHHH That's purrrtyyy
10:28am 22/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5631 posts
Ooh smashing, looks great. I endorse this skin!
10:33am 22/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10062 posts
Needs a forum navigation bar at the bottom of the thread so you can click back to the subforum you came from after reading a page.

Just use that breadcrumb navbar, but put a copy of it at both the top and bottom.

Also, the breadcrumb bar should have the name of the thread when you are viewing it:

eg: AusGamers Forums > General Chat > QGL Skin for AusGamers Forum - Now Available

(currently you can see this if you edit a post, but it should display like that in the thread as well, as both a header and footer on the page).
10:35am 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4135 posts
There is seriously something wrong with your judgement if you find this acceptable. Stop sucking up to trog and be honest. Why doesn't ausgamers just hire a web developer to sort this out? It's quite embarrassing I think.
10:36am 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5211 posts
Hah, there's a ringing endorsement if ever I saw one.

thermite is like a bizzaro-world correspondent on every topic.
10:37am 22/02/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2408 posts
New theme looks nice but at work I view it without a page style which leaves a huge heap of menu items at the top. Sticking with qgl.ausf for that.
10:38am 22/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5632 posts
I like the part where thermite whined but gave no valid reasons for the whining.
10:39am 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
613 posts
hey troggy, disregard my earlier email to u guys for support. the post buttons have reappeared again after 45 minutes of hiding! ^^
10:43am 22/02/10 Permalink
jadz0r
Brisbane, Queensland
372 posts
There is seriously something wrong with your judgement if you find this acceptable. Stop sucking up to trog and be honest. Why doesn't ausgamers just hire a web developer to sort this out? It's quite embarrassing I think.

Haha what?
10:49am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29461 posts
you are what we in the web business call a "troll"

if you have actual, useful feedback, even if it's negative, you can throw it down in the thread - otherwise begone and don't come back.

if I can take 2 years of people giving me s*** for the original AG forum and not moving over I think I can handle a bit of negative feedback about this, but what I can't stand is useless, silly, childish comments like that
10:50am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29462 posts
oh btw - after you type a message you can now press ctrl-enter to submit it (thank you whirlpool!)
10:51am 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4120 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: silly
10:51am 22/02/10 Permalink
Thundercracker
Brisbane, Queensland
2327 posts
Posting from the new skin
10:54am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29463 posts
NOTE: if you get weird behaviour, please press CTRL-F5 to fully refresh your browser; I forgot to update the stylesheet revision so you might get an old stylesheet at first (sorry) - konstie, this is what happened to you
10:55am 22/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11280 posts
just type the useful feedback thermite you doofus
10:57am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29464 posts
nuking thermite exposed a bug

I guess I was wrong about him not providing useful feedback! thanks thermite
10:59am 22/02/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2589 posts
Few things:

- Paging text colour is wrong
- I went to use the paging up the top like on QGL but it's not there on the new forums, had to scroll to the bottom to page.
- Button colours (Edit post/Admin) are wrong for removed posts
11:07am 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4137 posts
Banning me was lame since I didn't see your message till I posted, and then I edited to say I would be back with more useful posts.
I know this one isn't useful, but it is an additional promise of future useful posts to come, I'm just a bit busy.

wheres the submit button at S
11:11am 22/02/10 Permalink
Beanith
Brisbane, Queensland
155 posts
nuking thermite exposed a bug

I guess I was wrong about him not providing useful feedback! thanks thermite

Should we test post limit just in case there's a bug there as well?
11:12am 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
615 posts
Banning me was lame since I didn't see your message till I posted, and then I edited to say I would be back with more useful posts. I know this one isn't useful, but it is an additional promise of future useful posts to come, I'm just a bit busy. wheres the submit button at S

ah we've all been banned before thermite. you'll get over it! =D

i still can't decide whether or not I like the QGL skin. I don't know if I can ninja it as easily at work as I can with the white AG skin. To be continued...
11:15am 22/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4676 posts
the new skin is great. good job dudez.
11:16am 22/02/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2590 posts
Another bug - the thread listing page seems to be cached weirdly, I set posts per page to 20 and on the thread listing page it says there's 7 pages. I changed posts per page to 50 and it's still showing 7 pages even though there should now be 3.
11:19am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29465 posts
Another bug - the thread listing page seems to be cached weirdly, I set posts per page to 20 and on the thread listing page it says there's 7 pages. I changed posts per page to 50 and it's still showing 7 pages even though there should now be 3.
yeh that is an old known bug which I'm sure more people will notice now; I'll work on getting that fixed first
11:22am 22/02/10 Permalink
Plasma
988 posts
Looks good.

In both themes though, the 'QGL Forum', 'General Chat', 'Hardware', ... etc links on the thread index don't appear to link anywhere.
11:23am 22/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4691 posts
Posting from Ausgamers.

It feels funny.
11:27am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29466 posts
Looks good.

In both themes though, the 'QGL Forum', 'General Chat', 'Hardware', ... etc links on the thread index don't appear to link anywhere.
yeh there's some weird crazy s*** I have to do to make that work... if only I wrote down what it was

edit: s***! I remember. Will queue that for a fix.
11:28am 22/02/10 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
875 posts
I love the new changes to the normal ausgamers skin. Always preferred the lighter colours, and I'm not convinced I want a full-width forum, so thanks for making it just an option.
11:31am 22/02/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2957 posts
yum! yum!

btw ctrl enter doesnt work???
11:32am 22/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6708 posts
and I'm not convinced I want a full-width
Are you sure?
11:33am 22/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4693 posts
Just had something odd. I posted in another thread, and when it took me to the last post, mine wasn't there. I refreshed, and then it appeared. Similar to what happens sometimes on QGL when you edit your post, and it doesn't display the updated text immediately.
11:34am 22/02/10 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1272 posts
i use qgl at work because ausgamers is blocked.
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29467 posts
yum! yum!

btw ctrl enter doesnt work???
works for me in Firefox; not tested fully (which is why there's no interface element indicating its there.) What browser are you using?
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
616 posts
and I'm not convinced I want a full-width
Are you sure?

just tried full-width then, i'm not going back. going to stick with ausgamers skin though i think.
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6306 posts
Have you made a decision to redirect the qgl.ausforums.com ? Loving the new new theme for ausgamers f*****g awesome
11:35am 22/02/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6307 posts
yeah ctrl + enter doesn't work in Chrome :(
11:36am 22/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4694 posts
Testing the ctrl+enter thingy.

Nope, had to click post. :(

Using Chrome.
11:37am 22/02/10 Permalink
Freewheelin
Brisbane, Queensland
1645 posts
feature request: forum rss feed

qgl still has one hidden away somewhere ( http://qgl.ausforums.com/rss.php?forumid=439207 ), but ag doesn't
11:38am 22/02/10 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
15151 posts
I dunno, it's not working for me

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7049/buggyqglskin.jpg

1. No post button
2. Colouring is all weird - note the gray area appears weird
3. No shortcuts for quotes, links and images.

Hmmmm

PS Using Firefox latest version

last edited by infi at 11:44:36 22/Feb/10
11:40am 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5212 posts
Gripe:

New forum has larger header than old. Its not as bad as it could be, as the new forum's heirachy nesting is a single line but its still noticeable that there is a fair bit of wasted space, especially on widescreen - 1680 is noticeable, 1920 is especially bad. I used to think that QGL probably had a deeper header than it really needed...

I don't know if its possible to float these items so that they take up less room if there is room available?

QGL:
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9536/qgl.th.png

AG:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1931/71918912.th.png
11:42am 22/02/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5523 posts
Can you make the post icons the same as qgl? I find the qgl skin on ausforums harder to read as everything is blue. The icons on the qgl site stand out much clearer.
11:48am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29468 posts
Can you make the post icons the same as qgl? I find the qgl skin on ausforums harder to read as everything is blue. The icons on the qgl site stand out much clearer.
yeh they are on the TODO list to get recoloured. I don't know why they are blue in the first place!
11:49am 22/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
993 posts
omgz, posting from ausgamers.com

lulz.

also works fine.
11:50am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29469 posts
New forum has larger header than old. Its not as bad as it could be, as the new forum's heirachy nesting is a single line but its still noticeable that there is a fair bit of wasted space, especially on widescreen - 1680 is noticeable, 1920 is especially bad. I used to think that QGL probably had a deeper header than it really needed...

I don't know if its possible to float these items so that they take up less room if there is room available?
Yeh I am super conscious of this and looking at total header rewrites to save some space. We've already redone the whole forum header once to fit more stuff in. That's a bit of a low priority atm so I'm hoping people can suck that one up for a while (it's not thaaaaaat much more and you end up having to scroll down anyway to read threads, amirite)
11:53am 22/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4217 posts
Looks great - well done guys! thanks.

Although my full screen width is borked, but I suspect this is to do with the SOE IE7 at work.

Ctrl+enter = awesome. I'll need a reduction in my limiter, kthxbi. :D
11:54am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29470 posts
Although my full screen width is borked, but I suspect this is to do with the SOE IE7 at work.
try ctrl-f5
11:55am 22/02/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2958 posts
I am using IE 8 for the ctr enter thingy

also can you make "Notify me by email when someone replies default untick????
11:55am 22/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4218 posts

try ctrl-f5

Already did. I'll post an image in my lunchbreak. I'm not complaining, that's a minor issue at work. Overall very positive. My night eyes will thank you.
11:56am 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5213 posts
Yeh its not a broken element, but it does look a bit ... tacky ... Its especially apparent when the forum is released to browser width, you can really see that the layout hasn't been designed to accommodate it.

I have this thing about 'the fold' and wasting page real estate so it just jumps out at me when I see it. No biggie though :)
11:57am 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29471 posts
Uncheck it in 'site options' in your account
12:00pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Term
Queensland
4554 posts

Lol, I was complaining about this one on the weekend - hopefully we'll have that on the radar.
12:00pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Term
Queensland
4555 posts
Uncheck it in 'site options' in your account

I think he realises its there, he is asking if it can be unchecked as a default, which would make sense.
12:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29472 posts
Yeh its not a broken element, but it does look a bit ... tacky ... Its especially apparent when the forum is released to browser width, you can really see that the layout hasn't been designed to accommodate it.

I have this thing about 'the fold' and wasting page real estate so it just jumps out at me when I see it. No biggie though :)
yeh I was actually thinking about using that space for other content elements (first thing that jumps to mind is a rotating list of topics/subjects/elements from other areas of the site, like a list of the new threads in the 'for sale' forum to make that whole area a bit more useful). Defo under consideration tho
12:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
622 posts
Noticed on my eeepc with low res (800x480px) in chrome that listing the forum categories is a bit borked.
Also; is there a insert image link somewhere?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jesu/images/ausgamers.jpg
12:22pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29473 posts
Noticed on my eeepc with low res (800x480px) in chrome that listing the forum categories is a bit borked.
Boh, ta, will try and cater for low-res a bit better
Also; is there a insert image link somewhere?
not yet, it's on the TODO.

Soon as I have a spare sec I'll start summarising the list of changes so everyone can check them out
12:27pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
618 posts
Sounds like you guys are swamped right now! Need a hand?
12:32pm 22/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17308 posts
trog - control + S used to submit forum posts waaaaay back in the day.

fix that, don't go to control + enter !!

also looks good
12:32pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2254 posts
Wow looks awesome.

Not sure about the "please note" message to my right ----------------->
12:35pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2255 posts
I also like how you didn't force people to navagivate to threads through categories.

Na Nice.

One minor suggestion though, would it be too much trouble to include the page numbers at the top of the page as well as at the bottom?
12:44pm 22/02/10 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
623 posts
Boh, ta, will try and cater for low-res a bit better

Cheers troggles!
BTW; liking the skin too. The forum pages and posts look great and work well
12:46pm 22/02/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4974 posts
All these requests should be done by 2014.
12:52pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11532 posts
or before the next qgl lan

which ever comes second yeah?
12:54pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2519 posts
Looks borked to me at work;

Res: 1280x1024
IE 6.0.2900.5512

Linked image as I'm a n00b and dont know the html thumbnail code;
http://sites.google.com/site/sgrattan/home/ausgamers.PNG

Also, no "Post Reply" under the quick reply box so i'm posting this from QGL.
01:06pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2520 posts
"Post Message" button is there for me now, still looking borked.

Testing Ctrl+Enter, Guess that doesn't work in IE6 either :/

Edit: After using "Post Message" button, it didn't refresh the page (with my new post) it just stayed as it was, with my reply still in the reply box. I opened up QGL and refreshed the thread and my post was there, Ausgamer window was still waiting for me to hit "Post Message" though.

last edited by Scooter at 13:13:24 22/Feb/10
01:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11533 posts
logan council too pov to spare the bandwidth to upgrade you to IE 7 ?
01:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2959 posts
Can you make RSS feed that shows all forum posts not just news etc.. at the moment i am using the QGL RSS and it shows it all... love it....
01:13pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2521 posts
IT department too lazy as it might conflict with the bajillion other pieces of software installed on various computers.

It takes me about 5 emails and 3 weeks to get a simple patch installed for 12D
01:15pm 22/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4677 posts
ctrl + enter testi
01:23pm 22/02/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2409 posts
IT department too lazy as it might conflict with the bajillion other pieces of software installed on various computers.

Haha, if only it was that simple.
01:26pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29474 posts
IE6 users should be getting a massive warning at the top of the site saying we don't support IE6. Sorry Scooter but you're defo stuck on old site; we're not supporting IE6 any more :)
01:30pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2522 posts
Haha, no worries, I can still use the good old GGL at work.
Will switch over to ausgamers when I get home.

Yeah, I get the big IE6 sucks donkey balls message up the top. On quite a lot of sites.
01:32pm 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4139 posts
Here is a post I hope you'll find more useful. I am sorry I am such a bastard I just don't know any other way, and frankly IT SICKENS ME when people cluelessly gush over something that isn't particularly impressive and has many downsides.

First let's start with the url:
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/index.php

I don't particularly care about what files you have on your web server, so why do you continually append this "index.php" bit on the end? It is useless, it's ugly, I don't want to see it.

Then when you click a thread you see some gibberish in the URL like so:

/thread.php/2857803

Again, what is the purpose of showing me some internal database identifier and the name of your scripts? Why not just make it /forum/general/the-name-of-my-thread

Most people are so used to the ugly QGL URLs they will probably let that slide, but c'mon, this isn't 10 years ago, there is no reason to have such dirty addresses in this day and age. It doesn't make sense for users, it doesn't make sense for search engines, it only makes sense to your scripts internally so it's worthless to see it.

It's simply poor usability to create URLs with only a random number to distinguish between two threads, or a different forum on the same website.

Next up let's look at the output of the forum software. It certainly seems that whoever made this forum learned how to write HTML in 1996 and hasn't kept up with what is happening in the world of web.

Not that I rate validators highly, but we can get a good idea of the quality of this website with the w3c site:
555 Errors, 153 warning

We see all kinds of problems that websites made in the last 4 or 5 years simply should not have. A website made today should use the strict doctype, not be a sloppy transitional effort.

- HTML Tags aren't closed properly (many many of them)
- Deprecated HTML tags such as 'center' and 'font' are used frequently.
- The structure of the site is done with tables, something that has made ausforums pages render slower for over a decade. Tables should be used for tabular data, not for designing templates.
- HTML tags use a mixture of capital letters and lowercase letters, almost randomly.
- Little/No consistency in class/id naming, and a lot of the names go against the CSS names spec even though they are correct HTML.
- Inline styles as opposed to well formed stylesheets
- Semicolons used after HTML attributes for no apparent reason, absolute brainfart there.

Now the most obvious thing - the design.

You didn't replicate QGL (not that it was a nice design anyway). You have really created a little bastard monster using the ausgamers template and the QGL colours. I can't complain about the colours - that's what people wanted, but I thought I should say it anyway, the colours do suck a bit.

But you've added extra colours that weren't in the original QGL style. The electric blue color that highlights some areas is a HUGE mistake, it sticks out like a sore thumb, like something that needs to be fixed.
The biggest problem is the gradient. It is hideous.
"But gradients are popular" you say. Yes they are, and a nice gradient can really add depth to your design, but only when you make it believable. WTF am I talking about? Well you've all probably seen some bad "word art" where someone makes green text with a blue shadow - and something about that looks f***ed up. You might think it's their choice of colour scheme, but that isn't entirely it... see the fact is that in nature... thing don't cast blue shadows, and that's why it looks f***ed up. Shadows are black/grey. How does this apply to the gradients on this site? Quite simply - they look UNNATURAL. Nowhere in nature would you have that QGL blue colour on one side of something, and then it blends instantly into 100% black, and then a few mm away you have ANOTHER one, sometimes with the REVERSE gradient upside-down. It JUST DOESN'T WORK! That is the unexplainable ''ugly'' thing you feel when you come to Ausgamers (even on the green one) - just the lack of harmony with the real word, the extremes that go from one to the other.
I'm not saying you can't make a design where you have extreme gradients that work - but in this case it doesn't, and it would be much better to just have solid colours. No the 'texture'from the original qgl site won't do either - wtf was that, "random noise"in photoshop? Ugh.

The number of different fonts I can see all together in one section of the site also adds to the mess. The fonts on images and icons don't work with each other or the body font. I'm not saying they have to match, but just in the name of decency a little more love for the fonts could be had. There are mixtures of arial and verdana, at the same font size, which is just bothersome on a psychological level and makes it very hard to just relax and take in what is being written.

There are random shades of green in various places, and fonts that are too small (and coloured wierdly) to read (on the thread listing page to the right of the thread title).

The margins are inconsistent, like they are all set arbitrarily without any overall master plan for how far apart things should be. I'm looking at the "post a reply"button beneath each post and can see a small margin beneath, a slightly larger one above, and an even larger one to the right. Other elements that line up with this one do not follow the same rules, for example the main 'post a reply'button at the top looks different again, with a different margin - and sometimes it even appears out of line with the button right next to it! In some cases chunks of information are centered for no good reason (the 'postbits'that show the username/avatar) which increase 'scanning time'that allows me to read the forum quickly.

The whole header section feels very sloppy and loose, there is a giant gap on my screen, that whole area should be tightened up. The menu also contrasts too much with the rest of the site. The containers for the site are also strange, each one if 99% of the one it sits in, so the page gets smaller and smaller with each container. This is obviously a trial and error measure you've implemented because you do not know how to set up containers correctly that are cross-browser compatible.
The breadcrumb area immediately has an amateur feel because the 'greater than'symbol is used as a delimeter which is clearly the incorrect shape for what it's meant to be - it's not meant to say Äusgamers greater than General Forum - is it? But clearly we can see it is a greater than symbol - you were more after a right single angle quote

The widths of the columns on the thread listings page is bothersome too - how does that not bother you? There is like a wierd amount of padding in some of the column. QGL had similar choices in this case, but it's still strange.

I guess my biggest problem though is that as a 'web developer' you don't simply look at that and see these problems yourself, or even as a human being you don't see that the layout is aesthetically unappealing. To me that seems really bloody obvious. You know what good music sounds like? You know what what the universe is supposed to look like? Your brain was grown according to the same rules of physics mine was. So how come you don't see these problems? They are not a matter of personal opinion, we all have human minds and we should all be able to detest the look and feel of this theme as much as I do. There is more to having taste than one's own view of what is acceptable - you should have a sense for whether something is cheesy/tacky when it just doesn't work.

The fact that you responded to my shorter post by simply calling me a childish troll shows that you aren't really open to getting better at this stuff, you just want people to compliment you. When in all seriousness, for a professional web developer, It should be clear, just from looking, why someone might not love this design.

I do not believe that even addressing the specific points I've raised will miraculously make this site appealing. The entire theme needs one vision that makes sense as a complete thing, not a hodge podge of one template, the qgl colours, and random forum user suggestions. You have to envision it as an entire masterpiece and then maybe it will come together.

Do you truly look at your design and think it's on par with the quality stuff that is out there on the web? I find that incredibly difficult to believe. I know it's always nice to admire what you've worked hard on, but just take a step back and consider whether this is really what you think is an elegant style to look at 18 hours a day.

It is incredibly mid-late 90's in it's approach to layout and graphics, it reminds me of the últimate bulletin board, if anyone remembers that - it was a POS written in perl, and obviously it's "interface designers"were just the nerds that wrote/maintain the software. I suspect that is what is happening here too: The old ''IT guy design".

My only real suggestion is user-contributed themes. I believe I could take the 'qgl idea'and come up with something that I would prefer to use, and who knows, maybe others would like it too. But if I'm restricted by bad markup and black gradients, then there is no point.

* my keyboard screws up when I type a quote mark if you are wondering why I often don't put spaces after quotes.
01:56pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29475 posts
It is incredibly mid-late 90's in it's approach to layout and graphics
I agree, but it's what everyone else wanted, and they all seem to like it - so I don't know what to tell you. Design is subjective, sorry you don't like it, but if the majority are happy then I have 100% accomplished what I set out to do

I agree we could do better HTML, but it's not a priority

A bunch of the things you addressed (spacing issues, etc) are known issues that we cbf fixing before we set it live; they're not a priority. I just wanted to get it live ASAP to get initial feedback.
02:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5634 posts
So what do you think of the Ausgamers theme?
02:02pm 22/02/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5231 posts
you musta done a whole box of tissues on that post thermite! :D
02:04pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28077 posts
reporting in that qgl.ausforums is still awesome, and seems much faster today!
02:07pm 22/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17309 posts
lol he posts 1,000 words or so and gives detailed insight and he gets a 2 line response.

EDIT: Actually closer to 1,700
02:07pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11535 posts
lol he posts 1,000 words or so and gives detailed insight and he gets a 2 line response.

yeah i lolled too
02:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29476 posts

EDIT: Actually closer to 1,700
well the bulk of his post was how he hates the design. Here's how I think about this issue:

Problems:
- We want to minimise effort spend on ausforums.com
- We want to get more users on AusGamers.com
- QGL people don't like AusGamers.com forum design because it doesn't look like QGL

Possible solution:
- make a simple QGL-theme for AG forum to try to encourage users to move over to AG forum and take advantage of better features, more support, hopefully better performance, etc.

Metrics for success:
- if more people start using AG forum
- if people generally like the QGL skin

Now I wait a few days and look at the results and if the success conditions are met then it doesn't really matter if there's a few people that hate the new design.

Also note: I dealt with it not looking exactly like the QGL forum in the OP in the Q&A section specifically so I didn't need to launch into a defense of a line-by-line criticism of the differences. It's just not a big deal at this point.
02:22pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5216 posts
Most of thermite's essay is about technical / standards matters, or design.

Design is subjective.

Users do not give a s*** about w3c compliance. They care about whether the site looks right and is usable in IE, Opera, Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

At our place build standards-compliant sites, but its not the most important thing in the world. I personally find the obsession with friendly URLs to be a tremendous pain in the arse, because you need to deal with ensuring unique content identifiers titles etc., when an ID is always unique. URLs are not meant to be f*****g friendly, that's why the anchor tag wraps friendly text. Google doesn't give a f*** about the URL readibility no matter what you say, check out how indexed this forum is.

I want to find the silly little overpaid SEO c*** who decided that URLs needed to be human-readable and shank him in the f*****g face over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
02:32pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11536 posts
so thermites whinge is about the qgl layout in general?

the thing we've all come to know and love?

(like i was going to read that whole post of his)

you know if you don't like it thermite, you can stop reading/posting
02:35pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
622 posts
so thermites whinge is about the qgl layout in general? the thing we've all come to know and love? (like i was going to read that whole post of his) you know if you don't like it thermite, you can stop reading/posting

or simply just keep using ausgamers ?
02:46pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29477 posts
I want to find the silly little overpaid SEO c*** who decided that URLs needed to be human-readable and shank him in the f*****g face over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
I agree, but I thikn the correct terminology is "shank him in the f***"
02:47pm 22/02/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2411 posts
Smash him in the f***.

Out of curiosity, how much activity does qgl get compared to ausgamers?
02:50pm 22/02/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1899 posts
Posting from ausgamers for the first time ever, woo.
02:51pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29478 posts
Smash him in the f***.

Out of curiosity, how much activity does qgl get compared to ausgamers?
it's sorta hard to tell without dev time (which I Can't really justify) because of all the drive-bys we get from Google and lurkers and stuff. Basically though QGL site is a flatline of activity and AG forums are a nice slight consistent incline - but I'm hoping this move will make a nice little bump.
02:52pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2256 posts
Thermite, now tell us what you really think about the site's new design.
02:52pm 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4140 posts
No paveway, they both get a kind of thumbs down, but because qgl is genuinely old, from the days when nobody really knew what a website should consist of, it is easier to accept the look. I don't think it's a subjective or personal preference, as I've explained. There are optimal and less optimal visual designs for human interfaces. People have been studying aesthetics for hundreds of years in architecture, painting, bookmaking, etc.... and figuring out what people respond to and what doesn't work. It is a mistake to believe you can slap together something randomly and it's up to people's opinion on whether it is good or not.

You have the power to judge the look of the forum and how good it is in terms of it's design without getting personal about it. I absolutely think I could make a site that at first glance will appear to be the same 'design' as the qgl skin, but it will not have the little problems that ruin it for me. I still might not "like"it on a personal level, but at least it won't "bother" me because there is something wrong about it.

I agree users don't care about w3c and google doesn't require human-friendly URLs, but I would still guage the level of effort put into the system by these things. I like to be able to tell what a URL is simply by looking at it, and some of the points the validator raised were real indicators of the code quality and level of care put into the program.

Doesn't matter anyways, a few years ago I ran a successfull forum with a beautiful design that took a lot of work. I sold it and they basically destroyed the whole thing. They tried to 'recreate' my design on an upgraded codebase and absolutely missed the point. They used the same images and colours and everything - but they just did not come even close to doing what I had done. Some people just don't get it.
02:56pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2257 posts
I agree, but I thikn the correct terminology is "shank him in the f***"
I should trade mark that s***, and fast.
02:59pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29479 posts
It is a mistake to believe you can slap together something randomly and it's up to people's opinion on whether it is good or not.
Yep, and we found that out with the first draft of the AG forum. But the lesson we really learned was, people don't want change, and so the easiest way to migrate everyone over (given that superior features, faster pages, etc, didn't work) was to just replicate the same s***** old crusty design that they've come to know and love. And the success of that plan will be determined by the # of people that I see converting over to use the forums.

I appreciate your feedback and understand where you're coming from, but we're not really after comments about the design. I think it's a necessary side-step and then hopefully we'll get everyone on the same page (haha hilarious pun intended) and then maybe we can look at tearing it down and starting again
03:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2525 posts
I come for the engaging discussions and witty banter.
I stay for the soothing blue colours.
03:03pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
623 posts
do you guys honestly believe that people come to forums based on the color scheme? first thing that got me into ausgamers was the HoN beta key giveaway. what kept me here was laughing at the opinions of certain members.
03:06pm 22/02/10 Permalink
koopz
New Zealand
8579 posts
infi: I had the same problem here in Opera. forced a refresh (Ctrl-R for me) and everything's perfect now.

great work Trog and Co

My work recently blocked QGL.....maybe I was spending too much time on it

https://www.ninjacloak.com/ Ninja Cloak work for ya?

*edit* okay so I can't just slap down a url and expect it to work. no biggy
03:06pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
624 posts

Request denied by WatchGuard HTTP proxy.
Reason: one or more categories denied helper=' Webblocker.2' details='Proxies & Translators'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Method: GET
Host: www.ninjacloak.com
Path: /

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03:08pm 22/02/10 Permalink
koopz
New Zealand
8580 posts
gay
03:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5218 posts
Oh wow, we picked up konstie in a HoN drive by?

At least something not-altogether-awful came out of all those 1-post-wonders.
03:13pm 22/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5139 posts
This rocks. AusGamers++
03:14pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
625 posts
Oh wow, we picked up konstie in a HoN drive by? At least something not-altogether-awful came out of all those 1-post-wonders.

yeah it was a cheeky hon driveby way back-when! it's still questionable whether or not my input in this forum has been productive or not though!
03:16pm 22/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5140 posts
Hey troggles, I had an idea for those who like it (having not read the rest of the thread).

If you're logged in and you go to qgl.ausforums.com, maybe it could redirect you to the new forum?
03:21pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11537 posts
you'll learn soon it's not about what's in your post that matters

it's about the size of your post count
03:21pm 22/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
626 posts
you'll learn soon it's not about what's in your post that matters it's about the size of your post count

LOL

it's all how big our e-wangs are. or, i-wangs i guess they call it these days...
03:28pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Any
Brisbane, Queensland
408 posts
Looks a lot better than standard ausgamers thats for sure.
Dan's comments re forum return link @ bottom of screen & a different font / colour to indicate what page # of replies you're on are also the only reasons I think I'll be sticking with qgl forum.
03:39pm 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4141 posts
OK, I'm taking on board everything that has been said about disregarding the choice of design, because it's what people want. I still am disturbed by something.

This is what QGL should look like:

http://ima.dada.net/image/3101810.jpg

This is what the QGL skin on Ausgamers actually looks like:

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/Robot humanoid_0.jpg

They are both faux asian girls, but the 2nd one would make you s*** bricks if you saw it in the morning.

last edited by thermite at 15:43:01 22/Feb/10
03:41pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1364 posts
The new theme is only working for me at "Ausgamers, forums, general chat"... which is QGL????

If I logout, re log in, it's still the same if accessing through qgl.ausforums.com...

http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/ - is qgl ausforums yeah? all same threads etc so ! :D
03:44pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2260 posts
Durka Durka

Murda Murda
03:47pm 22/02/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5232 posts
new layout looks pretty good imo. i particularly like the gradients... very natural... like sunshine on something that's blue & cylindrical where the light is greater on one side & then gets darker towards the other side. i am also glad that the site doesn't look like an asian girl as that would just be freakish & insane.
03:57pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29480 posts
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/ - is qgl ausforums yeah? all same threads etc so ! :D
Yep
03:59pm 22/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1885 posts
alright... because you made a skin i might try jumping over. You really made the effort
04:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1323 posts
TESTING THE NEW SKIN!!!!
========================================================
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
========================================================

Green thumb.
I will miss the links on the right of the text input. The lazy mans way of inserting images and URLs.

Edit: I selected the radio button of the green thumb icon and I don't see it in my post.
04:07pm 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4142 posts
i particularly like the gradients... very natural... like sunshine on something that's blue & cylindrical where the light is greater on one side & then gets darker towards the other side.

It doesn't just get darker, it goes from a 100% hue linearly to 100% black. I know there are some amazing contrasts in nature, like a rounded pole in sunset will be dark on one side, but it won't be matte black and the other side with color... it will go from like a rather dark shade to a golden highlight (regardless of what the underlying hue is). Like I said, I think you could make it work, but it doesn't, just looks like a lack of ideas for decorative elements. Especially when the very next gradient is an inverse of the one you just saw. Also just because you perceive something as being very dark or light isn't necessarily so, it's all relative. This design doesn't have anything relative, it is all about the absolute extreme. It is absolutely fine for an artist to create a mindf*** design that purposefully challenges you by changing some factors, but I don't think that is what is happening here.

Check out some of these articles on gradients I randomly googled, look how sweet those gradients are - now those feel so naturally you don't even go 'öh... a gradient'.
http://blog.9rules.com/2006/08/a-gradient-tutorial/
http://sixrevisions.com/design-showcase-inspiration/25-great-examples-of-using-gradient-effects-in-web-designs/
http://thedesigned.com/2009/09/04/25-sites-with-subtle-gradients/
04:17pm 22/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5142 posts
Only thing I don't like about it is the gorram spam bar above the topic list and below the address bar :P
04:19pm 22/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6711 posts
wow you'd think thermite was a paying client

even if thermite was a paying client i think i'd drop him off my books anyway
04:21pm 22/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4143 posts
I wish I paid so I could ask for my money back
j/k
04:25pm 22/02/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
2959 posts
wow you'd think hardware ran this joint

even if hardware was running ths joint i wouldn't post here.

shutup fgt
04:26pm 22/02/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5233 posts
nah your wrong the gradients look very fine & natural. no need for me to check your random google links because i've already determined that they look fine, & natural. very natural.
04:29pm 22/02/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2961 posts
yeh i only come on qgl forum because of the RSS feed i have... cant find ausgamer one except for news items... but i want one for all
04:46pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8520 posts
- QGL people don't like AusGamers.com forum design because it doesn't look like QGL

Look was part of it.
... part
04:58pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Nitro
Gold Coast, Queensland
1835 posts

Like all things with SEO, it's a cumulative effect and yes it does have a positive effect.

As for the forum issue, why don't you just 301 redirect qgl.ausforums.com to ausgamers.com/forums/general/index.php, merge the user db's and we can get this over with?

I haven't managed to see test the new theme yet because I got the s**** with the captcha login at ausgamers. From the screenshots it looks fine though - I mean, its not going to win any awards but I don't know why Thermite has got himself a hernia over it.

05:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29481 posts
As for the forum issue, why don't you just 301 redirect qgl.ausforums.com to ausgamers.com/forums/general/index.php, merge the user db's and we can get this over with?
userDbs are the same -I don't want to force people to move if they really don't want to; I want to make it worth their while

(except obes)
I haven't managed to see test the new theme yet because I got the s**** with the captcha login at ausgamers. From the screenshots it looks fine though - I mean, its not going to win any awards but I don't know why Thermite has got himself a hernia over it.
its recaptcha, it's pretty standard!
05:09pm 22/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6713 posts
even if hardware was running ths joint i wouldn't post here.
who says i'm not
prove you're not lying and f*** off
05:10pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29483 posts
Look was part of it.
... part
Well lemme know the other parts once you've had a good look around the new site and we'll see if we can't cross those other hurdles!
05:16pm 22/02/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
2965 posts
prove you're not lying and f*** off
ban me...
06:00pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2527 posts
Works fine at home
06:29pm 22/02/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2473 posts
The skin looks good guys. Well done to who ever put it together.

Notes:
Still needs the "URL" and "images " HTML cheat shortcuts (Dont need the "Quote" shortcut as the reply button does it for you)

and

What's the link to the iphone friendly version?
06:44pm 22/02/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1903 posts
No keep the quote shortcut, because not every quote is from another post on this forum.
06:48pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2528 posts
'Back to forum' (I think Dan mentioned) down the bottom of the thread would be handy too.
06:51pm 22/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15532 posts
Still needs the "URL" and "images " HTML cheat shortcuts (Dont need the "Quote" shortcut as the reply button does it for you)

Thing is, most image uploader sites now give you code to copy to paste into the post box, the trouble is most noobs don't realise this place uses real HTML instead of UBB code so they copy the wrong bit. Maybe there should be a warning INSIDE the post box that tells people html is enabled and ubb code is teh sux.

Might just be me but on ausgamers where you have the huge ausgamers logo and your account stuff and then you've got the grey menubar below it (mygaybar2.0?) I think that grey bar would probably look better on top of the page as at the moment it just looks like a big, thick <hr>.

thus: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/pointyfork/qgl/th_Untitled-1.gif
06:52pm 22/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6716 posts
Posting from AusGamers
needs page numbers up the top
other than that
bloody good job trog, tis excellent by and large
07:01pm 22/02/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2474 posts
Oh, and unlike the QGL forum, the Ausgamers one does colour the threads so you know which have updated since your last visit. Thats a handy little item right there.
07:04pm 22/02/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
727 posts
The name bars are wider in QGL and left aligned. I don't know why but the fact that it makes the post box bigger as a result bugs me. I also can't see a back to forum link on the bottom of the thread, scroll scroll scroll to the top isn't going to cut it. I also prefer the (Source: Ausgamers News) to the [news] titles but I can adjust.

Other than that, it looks pretty good and the fact that it bugs thermite so much is a definite plus!
07:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15534 posts
I don't seem to be able to hit tab -> space to post on ausgamers. I have to actually click on the Post Message button after I'm finished writing a message. :( tab -> enter does work but I'm so used to tab + space since like the ICQ days
07:24pm 22/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5144 posts
I don't seem to be able to hit tab -> space to post on ausgamers. I have to actually click on the Post Message button after I'm finished writing a message. :( tab -> enter does work but I'm so used to tab + space since like the ICQ days

It's not an <input type="image">, it's actually a javascript link.

Can't you use an actual form element??
07:50pm 22/02/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16279 posts
Is there any chance of getting an Ausgamers theme for QGL?
07:54pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29487 posts
It's not an <input type="image">, it's actually a javascript link.

Can't you use an actual form element??
yeh prolly, not sure why it's like that

ctrl-enter ftw tho, f*** its awesome
07:55pm 22/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1569 posts
Some comments about the in-thread view:

1) Thread name font is too big (prefer the size on QGL)
2) As previously mentioned, page numbers at top of page are something I use often.
3) Paging: current page number should be different colour (as on QGL), otherwise you have to hover over all pages to figure out which page you're on.
4) Left aligned left column is easier to read, imo. But this could just be a temporary thing till I get used to it.

As for thermite's post, I agree on one point: the gradients suck. They're too harsh, solid colours would be much better.

No keep the quote shortcut, because not every quote is from another post on this forum.
agreed.

PS. Posting from ausgamers... I feel dirty.

PPS. The font used in the post box is too small. Can you please make it bigger?

PPPS. After posting the message I was redirected to the thread, but my post wasn't visible... what the?
08:15pm 22/02/10 Permalink
WreckTim
Brisbane, Queensland
479 posts
looks good so far. i hardly post anything anyway.
08:15pm 22/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1886 posts
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/582/48204037.th.jpg

There are buttons i can't use.. bottom right hand corner has "Post a reply" and what may be 3 other buttons which i cant click. Oh wait, no thats the same button. thats a single image.. what an ugly image.

How do i edit?

Edit: Nevermind. I can edit. And the pictures for "post a reply" are fixed now.
08:21pm 22/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15538 posts
My posts don't seem to show up right away on ausgamers either sometimes. Kind of like when you edit and have to refresh a couple of times before the edit shows up, that happens if I post something. It takes me to the end of the thread but my post is nowhere to be seen, refresh and there it is in all its glory for all to behold (and scoff at)

edit: It even happened on this post right here!

I'm using the latest firefox 3.5.8
08:35pm 22/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1887 posts
Yup.. there seems to be a timer nowdays.. when you click to post and that waiting screen comes up i think it says something about up to 20sec for your post to appear

Please wait while your change is submitted! You will be redirected in a moment.
Please note your post may take up to 20 seconds to appear in the thread!

Return to forum.
08:38pm 22/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15539 posts
No, not when I edit a post, when I post a post. I've known about the edit timer thing for ages but now it happens when I post a new post as well, the post doesn't show up right away.

edit: Oh I see, you get the same message even when you post a new post.. wtf? Why would it take 20 seconds for a new post to show up? Back to QGL for me.
08:49pm 22/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1889 posts
Well doesn't it say the same thing? Testing it causes me to post..

AusGamers Forum...
Thanks for posting!

Please wait while your post is added to the forum! You will be redirected in a moment.
Please note your post may take up to 20 seconds to appear in the thread!

Return to forum.
08:55pm 22/02/10 Permalink
acetame
Brisbane, Queensland
1820 posts
Hi Trog,

are you able to reduce my post limiter from 1200 seconds to 0.

Kind regards
acetame
09:02pm 22/02/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
11541 posts
^ seconded

except 600 - 0

plz xoxo
09:08pm 22/02/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6717 posts
thirded

except from 120 to a reasonable 30 pls
or even 60 will be fine too
thx
09:11pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Fn
Brisbane, Queensland
5659 posts
Wow great work Mammoth, skin looks great :) Only thing I'd change is the poster names aligned to the right instead of centered which yes is also different from QGL.ausforums but saves me side scrolling to see who actually posted the crazy awesome/s*** post on my old as the hills mobile(e90)

Also minor bug that doesn't effect me - the 'Post Message" button doesn't appear below the post box. Chrome 4.0.249.89, Win7.
I can find and click it using a mouse fly over, so it simply isn't loading the image it would appear.

You mentioned that the new Ausgamers forum code loads faster, I've always noticed that qgl.ausforums is the fastest site to load of any website, even when capped other sites barely load half as opposed to qgl still being quick and fully loading most of the time, regardless of browser.
So how much faster is the average page being created and pushed out the door vs the old code? Also, I assume this provides a substantial load relief for your web servers, got details? :)

Personally I don't think a Iphone app or mobile version of the sites would be necessary as first of all f*** the Iphone :P and second phones should be rendering the full page anyway.
Will you get the return from the time and effort to produce this or is it more so a learning and experience for Mammoth exercise?
A couple years ago yea sure but if it's to simply provide the options to surfers in my opinion it's a bit late now. However please send me straight you certainly know a great deal more than I, I'm interested, what are your thoughts on the matter?
09:46pm 22/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4222 posts
Finally got home from work to check this out on my widescreen in firefox. Full width is working great.

Job well done.

also ctrl+enter
09:48pm 22/02/10 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
5205 posts

can't believe how much work is being put in just to keep qgl happy.
trog, you're pretty serious sometimes but now I see it's just because you're tackling the important issues!
seriously, gg for giving a toop
10:16pm 22/02/10 Permalink
MatchFixa
Brisbane, Queensland
2264 posts
control enter doesn't work for me?
10:19pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Bad
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts
Reason: removes ads :(
10:21pm 22/02/10 Permalink
agro
Queensland
709 posts
i dont think ive ever actually gone to ausgamers

whenever i sit at any computer i naturally gravitate to "Q G L"
10:22pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
Reason: useless
10:35pm 22/02/10 Permalink
Bad
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
888 posts
Okay Take 2 (with Ads!)

For people that have Firefox and Greasemonkey (I believe chrome also supports it?) I have created a script which updates the new QGL Theme for Ausgamers and fixes some broken CSS and overall makes it like.. QGL Forums. Simply ensure you have Greasemonkey installed: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748 and then simply install this script:

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/69650

I have only tested this one 1 computer and its based on what I want the site to look like. Any issues let me know and i'll update the script if possible. Any questions let me know.

Edit: I've noticed theres some really annoying bug (not my script as it happens in IE without gm) where the forum does not give the correct light blue/dark blue alternating occasionally. Seems like its messing up the class and not dishing out some later ones with the "Thread Odd" setting.

Badz
10:49pm 22/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29489 posts
ta dude, sorry :P
11:05pm 22/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1890 posts
Tested with both safari for iPhone and opera on windows mobile 6.5. Site works fine so there is no good reason for a mobile version.
11:37pm 22/02/10 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1085 posts
Not sure if its been discussed yet but I miss the page links at the top of a thread.
12:41am 23/02/10 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1267 posts
Looks good. I don't like the Ausgamers normal color.

As for the forums. I prefer typing qgl.ausforums.com. And being where I want not having to go to www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/. Or goto the main page and navigate onwards, add an togglable option to the old qgl to redirct to the new address and I'd be all happy
12:51am 23/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17311 posts
F***, it's bad!!
03:58am 23/02/10 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1543 posts
Not sure if its been discussed yet but I miss the page links at the top of a thread.

Seconded here. Considering that the forums still cannot remember properly what you last read, when switching computers (home vs work, for example), having page jump links at the top of a threadview is invaluable..
04:59am 23/02/10 Permalink
Plasma
989 posts
Noticed 2 issues:

1) Online users has black text for the QGL skin, hard to read
2) Subscribe/Unsubscribe buttons work, but they dont change after being clicked like they did before
09:43am 23/02/10 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
10103 posts
I've made the switch thanks to this skin - great work guys!

As for iPhone compatibility - the full ausgamers site works much better than the older QGL mobile version, so I really don't think it's necessary for a mobile version of the forums. Maybe you could reduce load times, but it's pretty quick, and all the features are easy to access from iPhone interface.

One other difference between QGL and this is that QGL has a "Back to Forums" link just above the reply box, which saves you from having to scroll to the top of the page. It'd be great if this could be implemented here too, especially for iPhone/mobile users.
10:28am 23/02/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28093 posts
wow, im only deemed as annoying as hardware
10:33am 23/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5228 posts
As for iPhone compatibility - the full ausgamers site works much better than the older QGL mobile version, so I really don't think it's necessary for a mobile version of the forums. Maybe you could reduce load times, but it's pretty quick, and all the features are easy to access from iPhone interface.

On my iPhone I need to landscape (or pinch and zoom) to read posts, and the post text is sometimes super small for no apparent reason. To post a reply you need to do all sorts of f*****g phone acrobatics, and the reply box is larger than the screen, or the text is too small to read (take your pick).

I normally give up and go to a computer after about 5 minutes. Compare the forum with the main ausgamers page, which is a 'proper' mobile website. Its light years apart.
10:47am 23/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29490 posts
Thanks for all the great feedback guys, I'm hoping we can make all these changes this week and get all those little things everyone has suggested fixed up.
10:52am 23/02/10 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
10104 posts
Hogfather, coincidentally I just experienced that tiny text bug... kinda lol.
11:19am 23/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29496 posts
edit: Oh I see, you get the same message even when you post a new post.. wtf? Why would it take 20 seconds for a new post to show up? Back to QGL for me.
heh this is an interesting example of psychology. I'll remove the 20 second warning. The amount of time it takes a post to show up on QGL vs AG is identical - the only thing that might make it seem longer is a) we say 20sec there and b) the AG page prolly reloads a bit faster, thus making it less likely you'll see your own post at the end. it is 100% a caching issue, but I'll see if we can address it.
06:12pm 23/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29497 posts
OK here's the list of changes I've got so far:

- thread: 'back to forum' link at bottom/middle above postbox
- thread: fix colours of the pager at bottom right
- thread: page jump links at top as well
- thread: fix ctrl-enter for the loser browsers
- thread: popup links to add images/quotes/links
- thread: change pager so current page number is clearly visible
- thread: increase font size in posting textarea from TEENY to TEENY+1
- thread: remove 20 second notification and see if we can reduce time for cache to update
- thread: nuked posts have wrong buttons
- forum root: nuked posts stand out, need colour change
- forum root: try alternate coloured icons to see how they look
- forum root: try to make it not suck on small screens
- online users: fix colours
- global: update stylesheet revision to prevent caching from breaking everything
- global: check to ensure icons working as expected
06:16pm 23/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4178 posts
You can use javascript/ajax to append a 'fake' copy of the user's post, as in one that isn't really there when the page loads from cache.
06:19pm 23/02/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
908 posts
The ausgamers site is missing 'Next Event: Unknown'.
It's these little touches that make some of us nostalgic for the qgl forum.
06:38pm 23/02/10 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1097 posts
- forum root: nuked posts stand out, need colour change

Give it the same color background as the replies/last message columns. (#002239) looks good in firebug.

- thread: page jump links at top as well

<3
06:47pm 23/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15544 posts
heh this is an interesting example of psychology. I'll remove the 20 second warning. The amount of time it takes a post to show up on QGL vs AG is identical - the only thing that might make it seem longer is a) we say 20sec there and b) the AG page prolly reloads a bit faster, thus making it less likely you'll see your own post at the end. it is 100% a caching issue, but I'll see if we can address it.

Actually, when I post from qgl.ausforums.com my post always shows up instantly, there's nothing psychological about it. Every single time I've posted from the qgl.ausforums url it's shown up as soon as the forum redirects me, on the ausgamers one pretty much 90% of the time I've had to refresh the thread to see if my post has even been posted, god help me if I broke the thread and an admin saw it before I'd had a chance to refresh it & check for myself and fix it.
06:54pm 23/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4704 posts
- thread: fix ctrl-enter for the loser browsers

You need to look into it for Chrome too.
07:19pm 23/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10068 posts
- thread: 'back to forum' link at bottom/middle above postbox
Tihs is one thing I don't want like QGL, Since we have the optional subforums now, I think this would be better as just a repeat of the breadcrumb style bar at the top.

So both the page header and footer have breadcrumb links and paginator.

eg:

AusGamers Forums > General Chat
Showing 261 to 278 of 278 posts 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

***Thread content here ***

Showing 261 to 278 of 278 posts 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
AusGamers Forums > General Chat

***Quick reply box here***
07:27pm 23/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10069 posts
btw: what I've described above is standard fare on most other forums (Vbulletin etc):

eg:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=983416
07:28pm 23/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15547 posts
- forum root: try to make it not suck on small screens

That's like trying to make it not suck c*** on IE6, just tell people with small screens to upgrade already, unless you mean mobile devices in which case tell them to upgrade already (to an ipad lololo)

But for serious, if I had to use the ausforums one I'm with dan on the breadcrumbs at the top & bottom instead of a "back to forum" button in case you're finished reading all the threads in that particular forum and want to move on to the next section (unless you're in general chat in which case you're already reading all sections, should call general chat 'godmode').

last edited by whoop at 19:37:30 23/Feb/10
07:36pm 23/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5146 posts
Oh by the way, how does a thread get categorised? Do the mods do it?
09:04pm 23/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29500 posts
Oh by the way, how does a thread get categorised? Do the mods do it?
for now, I do it :)
10:26pm 23/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29508 posts
How do people feel about the icons in the column on the far left? Only one person mentioned it so I'm reluctant to change, but just wanting to point it out as I'd rather do it now if that is a big factor for people.
01:41pm 24/02/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5147 posts
They are fine. The massive ad bar between the topics and the menu are really jarring though. Can't it fit in where the QGL ads go (getting rid of that 120px high block)?

I <3 ads.
03:49pm 24/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29509 posts
Yeh I can't do anything about that right now, but will look at a revamp (maybe even just making it so you can hide/minimise the whole top 'ausgamers' header bar. The ad doesn't fit cuz the word 'ausgamers' is much longer than the word 'qgl' :)
04:06pm 24/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29517 posts
Updates coming tomorrow morning. Now looks a lot more like QGL.

- thread: 'back to forum' link at bottom/middle above postbox - DONE, breadcrumbs added
- thread: fix colours of the pager at bottom right - DONE
- thread: page jump links at top as well - DONE
- thread: change pager so current page number is clearly visible - DONE, sort of (underlined, not really clear, needs more work)
- thread: remove 20 second notification and see if we can reduce time for cache to update - DONE + made changes to timing to make it be same as QGL
- forum root: nuked posts stand out, need colour change - DONE
- forum root: try alternate coloured icons to see how they look - DONE
- global: update stylesheet revision to prevent caching from breaking everything - DONE

example shots

http://trog.qgl.org/up/qgl-skin-v2.jpg

http://trog.qgl.org/up/qgl-skin-v2b.jpg

http://trog.qgl.org/up/qgl-skin-v2c.jpg

last edited by trog at 17:57:58 24/Feb/10
05:54pm 24/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1573 posts
Screenshots look good trog. Nice effort.
07:40pm 24/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15560 posts
Posting a test to see if my post shows up right away.

Posting from: http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2856954?p=3

edit: nope, still gotta refresh. I'll try again tomorrow after the updates are live. Also if I hit tab before hitting ctrl + enter a new tab opens with some javascript void thing in it.
07:52pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2838 posts
Oh, awesome trog. I look forward to the "Back to forum" button. I've missed it.
08:04pm 24/02/10 Permalink
Fn
Brisbane, Queensland
5662 posts
Super choice great work guys :)
09:30pm 24/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29524 posts
OK this has been updated!
10:45am 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29534 posts
BUELLER?
01:59pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2539 posts
I'd check it, but I would hazard a guess it still doesn't work in IE6 :p
02:02pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29535 posts
I'd check it, but I would hazard a guess it still doesn't work in IE6 :p
or IE7, we found out the other day. Seems not many people are using that though (I guess cuz if you're off IE6, there's basically zero reason to not be on IE8)
02:03pm 25/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
666 posts
yeah i can confirm that IE7 does not offer these additions. work internet = poo

EDIT: EPIC 666 post counts. I AM TEH DEVIL

EDIT 2: No worries trog, not a major issue. I am not posting again. Cya guys.

EDIT 3: Ctrl-f5 seemed to do the trick! looks lovely. nice work. See ya everyone!
02:07pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29536 posts
yeah i can confirm that IE7 does not offer these additions. work internet = poo

EDIT: EPIC 666 post counts. I AM TEH DEVIL
everything in IE7 should work fine /except/ full width browsing, I think. We should be able to fix that easily though.
02:08pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29554 posts
Anyone got any other comments? I'm hoping that a bunch of people have switched over permanently-ish now?
07:28pm 25/02/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
4984 posts
Can you come over and update my bookmark?
07:29pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2541 posts
It's now my default at home, but I still use QGL at work.
07:33pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29555 posts
Can you come over and update my bookmark?
I sure can... with my FIST
07:45pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11297 posts
yeh I have switched over, updated toolbar thingo at home and work
07:57pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10082 posts
I'm swtiched. I still find myself accidently going to the old address out of habit, but i realise pretty quick and load the newie back up.

The forum list needs the title breadcrumb/paginator added top and bottom and I reckon it needs a designer's eye to neaten things up a bit. other than that, it's asthetically close enough to old QGL (and better in several ways) that I'm happy for now.

Looking forward to further functionality improvements.
08:29pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2597 posts
Yeah same, sometimes I'll go to load QGL out of habit but change to AusGamers instead now. Agree with Dan, thread listing needs the bar top and bottom like on the view thread pages.
08:33pm 25/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1575 posts
I've placed it next to QGL on my top sites grid in Safari. I'm almost ready to switch, but the only thing that's still bugging me is the tiny font size in the post window... having to squint at what I'm typing sucks. Please make the font size bigger.

A nice side effect of your header and menu height is that one mouse wheel scroll down removes it (at least in Safari), which makes the page more readable (as there's less contrasting colours).

Oh, and what's up with the two hyphens inserted above everyone's sig?
08:34pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4717 posts
The "Author" and "Last Message" columns seem to be much wider than is necessary. It looks pretty weird. If it weren't for that, the main forum page would be pretty much spot on.
08:48pm 25/02/10 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3523 posts
needs to remember what the last post in a thread you had read similar to what sa forums does
09:26pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6314 posts
yeah I've converted to ausgamers full time now both home and work. So long QGL... it's been good
10:07pm 25/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17324 posts
I just used it for the first time, it's noticeably faster!!

well played team

I guess I'll convert over, but I am so used to the old URL!!
10:09pm 25/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17325 posts
The online users with the QGL theme needs to be updated so as people can read it.

Maybe a white font instead of black??

http://trog.qgl.org/up/online%20users.png

10:13pm 25/02/10 Permalink
eightyeight
Brisbane, Queensland
1315 posts
What other new features are you looking at?
We have a list of stuff. First and foremost is a mobile version of forums for iPhone and other mobile users - lightweight, simple, easy, fast. There's a few things we're going to steal from other forums usability enhancements that we've got factored in as well.

awesome.
11:02pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29557 posts
just realised I forgot to add the little next/prev arrows, woops!
11:02pm 25/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5276 posts
Pretty much switched now. I'm very used to the old url, I still end up there a bit.

Any word on delete? The inability to clean up mis-posts with delete still makes the old site indispensable for now.
11:11pm 25/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29558 posts
hmm didn't think of that, should be easy enough to add in to this edit page
11:12pm 25/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1904 posts
hmm didn't think of that, should be easy enough to add in to this edit page

cool, i had hoggy remind me of this earlier today to use some lateral thinking and use the old site to delete a useless post.
01:51am 26/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4720 posts
I'll convert when the Image, Quote and URL links are next to the reply field.
10:22am 26/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5281 posts

The new site's Quote is far superior - click on Post a Reply.

As for the other, HTML isn't that hard..
10:27am 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17326 posts
did trog see my post I wonder??
10:53am 26/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29561 posts
heardy, yeh thats a known issue listed in my TODO :)
I still find it weird that people use those things; surely it's easier to type the html than click, paste, ok!@#
10:57am 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17327 posts
yeah the post reply feature has auto quoting

and the others are just IMG SRC = and A HREF aren't they
11:06am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1578 posts
Ausgamers is busted. Redirects to http://www.mammothmedia.com.au/
11:30am 26/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4250 posts
yeah i noticed.

long live QGL.
11:31am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1579 posts
IT NEVER FAILS US!

:)
11:31am 26/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5287 posts
Ausgamers workin for me ok..
11:32am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1581 posts
Must've been a temp error or a delete-something-you-weren't-meant-to moment.
11:39am 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11300 posts
yeh my bad, migrating the site to new servers and forgot about a redirect, fixed now
11:41am 26/02/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5289 posts
Naughty Jim.

Hope someone is spanking him good right now.
11:42am 26/02/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1910 posts
Heh still a few issues, like i can't post because it says i'm trying to make a new topic when replying to dragon quest thread.

It doesn't post because I don't have a subject field which is required for a new post.

Edit: nevermind, turns out its working now. Weird.
11:43am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1582 posts
Yeah, I had that now... just hit refresh on the thread and then reply again.
11:45am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1583 posts
Hey trog, did you see my post about asking for the reply box text to be bigger? Making it the same size as the text to the right of the reply box would be cool. Y'know, the "Abusive posts will be deleted, as will posts asking 'why was my post deleted?'" text.

Whoops, just realised I should've just edited my previous post, oh well.
11:47am 26/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29563 posts
Hey trog, did you see my post about asking for the reply box text to be bigger? Making it the same size as the text to the right of the reply box would be cool. Y'know, the "Abusive posts will be deleted, as will posts asking 'why was my post deleted?'" text.

Whoops, just realised I should've just edited my previous post, oh well.
also in the TODO list I pasted above :P
11:48am 26/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4251 posts
patience is a virtue. except when the forums go down.
11:51am 26/02/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1585 posts
also in the TODO list I pasted above :P
Sorry, I'm at home sick, so concentration is screwed. Good to hear it's on the todo. Thanks.
11:55am 26/02/10 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
4253 posts
Thread trial at the bottom for quick linking. nice.
12:39pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17329 posts
My site options were f***ed up when the server move happened i.e. I have no sigs shown.

All other threads are fine and don't have sigs shown, once I check the sigs shown box and updated site options, I then unchecked and ipdated sig options.

However, sigs still show up in this - http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2860071 thread

All other threads are fine, weird.

EDIT: bleh it's back to normal now, ohh well I guess I should have taken screens...
12:39pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11302 posts
tah, I'll have a look
12:40pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11303 posts
you talkin about avatars specifically heardy? I've been running around picking up a few missing bits and pieces, they might've been busted for a bit there
12:49pm 26/02/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5250 posts
the avatars just disappeared briefly while you were haxorin'... they came back str8 after the 'permanantly moved' thingo got fixed.
01:06pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17330 posts
It was sigs that were screwed up for me, I didn't notice avatars not being correct to be honest.

In any case it seems fine now.
01:06pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11305 posts
bewdy tah
01:07pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17331 posts
sigs are back to being borked again for me, I've got them as being not shown in site preferences.

Note I selected them and saved preferences and then deselected them and saved again, still there. Closed browser and reloaded - still there.
02:17pm 26/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29566 posts
heardy, I cannot reproduce that problem, I'll have a closer look a bit later dude
02:24pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11308 posts
so what we've done btw, is move the site off a single physical server, onto a few vm's in our new vps system - load-balanced behind a couple of linux firewalls/routers, using all opensource software (linux, xen, LVS+pulse)
03:55pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17335 posts
trog - it appears to be intermittent as the sigs aren't there again *shrugs* I am using Chrome 4.0.249.89 and the thread it appears to be happening for me on is this one - http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2860071

jim - all sounds very awesome, the forums load fast as f*** for me, so that's gotta be a good and means more heardy spam
04:05pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11309 posts
it might be something I've missed on one of the new web servers, so sometimes when you load from one, it works, but hen you get another page load later from one where something is wrong/missing on the server

although when I load that thread up in chrome I see a few ppl's sigs like spook (text), groganus (pic), demon (pic)
04:30pm 26/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29570 posts
trog - it appears to be intermittent as the sigs aren't there again *shrugs* I am using Chrome 4.0.249.89 and the thread it appears to be happening for me on is this one - http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2860071

jim - all sounds very awesome, the forums load fast as f*** for me, so that's gotta be a good and means more heardy spam
to confirm, you're seeing sigs when you should definitely have them off, right? and we're clear on the difference between sigs and avatars (sorry, have to do the noob check :)
04:40pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17336 posts
Yes I have sigs turned off in site options.

Yes I am talking sigs - the ones under each post (for those that have a sig), avatars are to the left of the post under the users name!
04:45pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11310 posts
doh I misunderstood what the issue was
04:48pm 26/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17341 posts
The sig thing is still happening, just happened in the work in the AusGamers thread.

After reading what Jim said, it could be one of the VM's playing up and not retaining site options of users.... as it is only an intermittent issue
06:20pm 26/02/10 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8713 posts
Switched permanently now, one usability issue is with the pagination of threads:
http://grab.by/2HaB

The underlined thread is the active page, while the links aren't underlined. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
11:03pm 26/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11318 posts
that got me too
11:09pm 26/02/10 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4682 posts
Same here.
11:47pm 26/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15571 posts
I have no avatars at all except for midda's, why's he so special? They're enabled but firefox shows a broken image thing for everyones avatar except midda.

and I STILL have to refresh to see my posts if I post from ausgamers
12:29am 27/02/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1928 posts
I see trogs, whoops mine and a couple others, but not many.
12:31am 27/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15572 posts
How do you see mine? Even I can't see mine. Someone broke the caching proxy!

and this post showed up right away, no refresh needed. Am I the only one that has this weird issue? It's not all in my head, I have video proof of it if need be.
12:32am 27/02/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1929 posts
oh I ctrl f5'd and now I see none. damn.
12:50am 27/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2549 posts
http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2856954?p=4

For some reason now I cant see Avatars (pictures under names /noob check) in this thread. It was working earlier today. Firefox 3.5.8
Is there any way to check which virtual machine we're running off to see which one is causing the problem?
02:09am 27/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15575 posts
avatars are back for me @ 1:40am brisbane time. Not sure if they came back earlier because I was off doing stuff that didn't involve browsing qgl. SHOCK! HORROR!
02:44am 27/02/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11319 posts
shift+reload/ctrl+f5 again, it should've come good now
02:47am 27/02/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17360 posts
trog - just found another 'bug' the PM screen needs to be updated to use the QGL colours when QGL theme is enabled.
07:57pm 28/02/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5536 posts
skin looks great now but i still won't use it until qgl.ausforums.com starts a forced redirection to it :)
08:07pm 28/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2551 posts
Why? Unless you're stuck on an archaic internet browser, I see no reason not to change.
08:15pm 28/02/10 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
5677 posts
sounds like he doesn't know how to use bookmarks or he uses public pcs.

Suggestion: qgl.ausgamers.com could redirect here(collective forum page thingy) with qgl theme already enabled by default if your not logged in.
qgl.ausforums.com stay as planned obviously.

:) Is that a giant pain in the arse or fairly trivial for you super awesome handsome mammoth guy men?
10:14pm 28/02/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2023 posts
Why not have the Author Replies and Last post collums in the same order?

last edited by `ViPER` at 22:26:26 28/Feb/10
10:24pm 28/02/10 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
715 posts
trog, not sure if this has been mentioned already, but on the online users page, the text of the usernames are too dark and can't really be seen in the background.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4804/46630706.png
11:25am 02/03/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17370 posts
hey that's cool, did the forum auto-resize and make it clickable or did you do that konstie?

If it was the forum, well played sirs

EDIT: Yeah I mentioned it the other day
11:59am 02/03/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
4740 posts
HeardY, the forum has always done that to images.

Also, yeah, fix the online user list. I use that a lot actually, haha. Funny to see all the hangers that never post.
11:20pm 03/03/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17396 posts
ausgamers forum maybe, but the old QGL one didn't....
11:23pm 03/03/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29677 posts
Struggling to find time to knock off those few last changes but hopefully will get a couple down tomorrow.

Just in case anyone is interested; traffic to the AG forum has /almost/ doubled now.
05:20pm 04/03/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1600 posts
qgl: we are legion
05:44pm 04/03/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17407 posts
imagine the phat lewts NOW!!

Mammoth Media, Mammoth bank accounts :p
05:50pm 04/03/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1602 posts
everyone with >1600 posts gets a cut, don't they?

;)
05:53pm 04/03/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
1950 posts
Trog hasn't shared any of the phat loots in like 10 years.
07:41pm 04/03/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1603 posts
I know, i've been here almost 10 years and haven't seen a dime!
09:52pm 04/03/10 Permalink
exo
Melbourne, Victoria
8714 posts
Just in case anyone is interested; traffic to the AG forum has /almost/ doubled now.

Soooo...like, 6 went to 12 or what?
11:31pm 04/03/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29689 posts
exactly almost like that
11:31pm 04/03/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30182 posts
I note a few people are still using the old QGL site and I'm wondering why (going to put in some more stuff on the QGL site to make it so people who might not have seen this are aware)?

a) I didn't know it was existed until seeing this bump
b) I can't be bothered changing, I'm just that lazy
c) I will not change, ever, for no reason other than blind obstinance
d) I'm just used to typing 'qgl' in my address bar
09:44am 10/04/10 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
8997 posts
bit of b) and more of d)
09:53am 10/04/10 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
5593 posts
I stated I wouldn't, but I changed a while ago. Is great!
10:00am 10/04/10 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
2138 posts
easier to just type qg...auto go to qgl.ausforums.com

Make a qgl.ausgemers.com that goes to the ausgamers forums with the qgl theme applied, even when not logged in and ill change, otherwise its a pain to go to ausgamers.com, click on the forums go to general chat, make sure im logged in etc.

last edited by `ViPER` at 10:03:05 10/Apr/10
10:00am 10/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30184 posts
otherwise its a pain to go to ausgamers.com, click on the forums go to general chat, make sure im logged in etc.
Is it? You do that once, ever. I can understand the QGL thing but that's easy for us to fix with a redirect; I usually just type 'aus' and I'm at the forum anyway (or more often I use the bookmark on my toolbar)
10:03am 10/04/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8510 posts
image/quote/url thingys... well not so much the quote one

And I still vote in the 'What games would you like to play at next QGL?' poll on qgl.org. One day natural selection will be the game people are most keen to play.

Oh yeah and for when I am at a random computer and not logged in.

last edited by ctd at 10:06:24 10/Apr/10
10:04am 10/04/10 Permalink
Any
Brisbane, Queensland
431 posts
e) qgl logo beats ausgamers logo.
also prefer to have the qgl logo + ad on same line up top instead of underneath. makes ad more annoying for some reason.
10:05am 10/04/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17446 posts

Didn't realize this was up and running with the new skin. Plus I'm too used to typing in QGL after a format.

Hmm, text looks a lot different.
10:10am 10/04/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2665 posts
easier to just type qg...auto go to qgl.ausforums.com

I used to stay on qgl for this reason too, but now I've found I can just type ge... (for general) and Firefox awesomebar selects the AusGamers general forum for me, so it's pretty much the same now.
10:14am 10/04/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1648 posts
While I'm using ausgamers these days, I'm still waiting for you to increase the font size in the post text area - it's bloody annoying!
10:27am 10/04/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2743 posts
While this thread is bumped...

I still get the issue where every now and then, a random thread will have signatures on.
Turned off in options and they're off most of the time.

This page ( http://www.ausgamers.com/forums/general/thread.php/2856954?p=4 ) happens to be one such page. Firefox 3.6.3

Edit: After posting this, Sigs are once again, Off.
10:39am 10/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30186 posts
scooter yeh that is a known issue but haven't had time to look into it yet soz. Will try to get to that (And all the other promised changes!!!) soon
10:42am 10/04/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1370 posts

I find myself typing qgl sometimes into the address bar. After having used the ausgamers forum for a while after this thread was initially posted, the QGL site seems foreign though

While I'm using ausgamers these days, I'm still waiting for you to increase the font size in the post text area - it's bloody annoying!

I've been pondering whether it's worth getting off my lazy arse to write a greasemonkey script to uncheck that 'Notify me by email when someone replies' checkbox, but so far clicking it every time has won out. The form submission font would be a similar fix I think.

Niggling things about the ausgamers forums
- No delete item button on posts (this one keeps me from buggering off the QGL site bookmark completely)
- Aforementioned default of 'checked' for email notifications. There's already a 'Subscribe to this topic' button up top!
- The cool thumbs up icon from the radio buttons doesn't seem to work
- the page header containing the ads is much bigger than QGL, but I'll deal
10:44am 10/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30187 posts
I've been pondering whether it's worth getting off my lazy arse to write a greasemonkey script to uncheck that 'Notify me by email when someone replies' checkbox, but so far clicking it every time has won out. The form submission font would be a similar fix I think.
I want to add a UI element to 'set as default' there when you change preference - but you can change your default preference for this behaviour in site options: http://www.ausgamers.com/account/options.php (uncheck auto-subscribe to threads)
10:53am 10/04/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5005 posts
Part of it for me is that I haven't bothered updating my bookmarks. Also, like the HTML tag links on the side.

Also, get the QGL logo into the QGL theme, that would be lovely.
10:54am 10/04/10 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
8998 posts
Ok so I updated my bookmarks and site options, now using ausgamers. It's prettier that's for sure.
10:57am 10/04/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17449 posts
If you could increase the reply font size a tad and also move the box across to the right about two inches that would be great

8-)
11:04am 10/04/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5006 posts
Posting from Ausgamers at the moment. I just noticed that if I drag the reply box to be bigger, the big "PLEASE NOTE" box to the right doesn't move, and the reply box just goes underneath it. I guess that's only an issue with Chrome, since I don't think any other browsers let you scale text boxes.

EDIT: Also, the other thing I vastly prefer about QGL is the page header. There's far less wasted space at the top, and the ads aren't as intrusive. I don't block the ads for QGL/Ausgamers, which is fine on QGL because you barely notice them. Though the top of the Ausgamers forum feels a lot more cluttered, and even though it's the same ads, they feel more intrusive.

last edited by Midda at 11:10:51 10/Apr/10
11:08am 10/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5802 posts
My iGoogle RSS feed is still QGL. Is there an Ausgamers-linked one I can put in there?

I still type qgl.. in some of my machines. Very old habit.

There is (still?) no delete button on the new forum. I'm a bit of a gumby f****tick and post replies to the wrong thread or double post etc sometimes. I need delete to cleam up my after-post mess.
11:10am 10/04/10 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
1372 posts
you can change your default preference for this behaviour in site options

Oh nice! Thanks trog.
11:33am 10/04/10 Permalink
BoDGie
Brisbane, Queensland
391 posts
Ausgamers QGL theme has ~310px of useless, flashy, annoying space up the top, QGL only has ~200px

Edit: just saw the options for stretch
11:53am 10/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15924 posts
There is (still?) no delete button on the new forum. I'm a bit of a gumby f****tick and post replies to the wrong thread or double post etc sometimes. I need delete to cleam up my after-post mess.

http://network.ausgamers.com/index.php?action=listitems

I note a few people are still using the old QGL site and I'm wondering why (going to put in some more stuff on the QGL site to make it so people who might not have seen this are aware)?

I've already stated my reasons but in case they were missed it's z) none of the above.

I still use QGL because on Ausgamers I have to wait about 10 seconds and then refresh the page to see what I've posted. I'm aware of no other forum that does this, mind you I only ever vist 4 total including this one. I've never had this issue with the QGL version. I hit post, let the forum auto-redirect me and there's my post in all it's trollish glory (on qgl).

last edited by iWhoop at 12:28:33 10/Apr/10
12:20pm 10/04/10 Permalink
Any
Brisbane, Queensland
432 posts
Agreed with iWhoop, having to refresh page to see edits etc is annoying.
QGL still looks... cleaner? I dunno. Putting the ads in the top right like qgl, getting rid of the ticker beside them and changing the logo back to QGL would be nice. Also, dunno about other people, but I find the greyed out page number easier to spot than the mini underline on a page number.
12:49pm 10/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15927 posts
I'm not talking about edits, I'm talking about posts, although I just made a new topic from the ausgamers version and it didn't seem to happen so maybe they've fixed it. Posting this from the ausgamers version to confirm. I'm happy to not have the edits show up right away but I like to review what I've posted straight after posting it in case I've broken the forum with s***** html or made some obvious mistake in my non-factual facts.

edit: nope problem still exists for posts in existing topics, new topics seem unaffected.
12:52pm 10/04/10 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1649 posts
the big "PLEASE NOTE" box to the right doesn't move, and the reply box just goes underneath it. I guess that's only an issue with Chrome, since I don't think any other browsers let you scale text boxes.
Just checked, Safari's the same... with the same problem - not that I ever drag it to be bigger.
12:55pm 10/04/10 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
5255 posts
QGL still looks... cleaner? I dunnoNo you're right. QGL forum appears more subtle and to the point. The contrast of different shading and more vibrant colours on the AusGamers theme makes it less appealing in the long run.
01:16pm 10/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15928 posts
I kind of like the way ausgamers puts the quoted text in italics and inside a neat little box, that goes away in the QGL theme :(

I wonder how hard it would be to just leave all the colours as variables & let us enter our own values for stuff. That way if you like staring at a bright pink screen you can or if you prefer black text on a neutral grey background then you can have that too.
01:26pm 10/04/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
7053 posts
ausgamers is blocked for me at work
where as qgl is not
simple as that for me
01:30pm 10/04/10 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
17450 posts
Now trog has a reason to shut down the old forum

8-)
01:53pm 10/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15933 posts
It's weird, I've been using the Ausgamers version for my last few posts and thus far haven't encountered the delay in my post showing up since posting about it earlier in this thread. Have you guys changed anything on your end? I'm certainly not doing anything different.
02:36pm 10/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30188 posts
It's weird, I've been using the Ausgamers version for my last few posts and thus far haven't encountered the delay in my post showing up since posting about it earlier in this thread. Have you guys changed anything on your end? I'm certainly not doing anything different.
nope. its basically random - if I increased the delay before it took you back to the thread by about 1 second I think it would be 100% effective at showing your post. But that's a lame workaround so I'm looking @ other alternatives first before doing that (like 'fake' adding it to the end of the thread or something).
The contrast of different shading and more vibrant colour
right
04:31pm 10/04/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
28695 posts
ausgamers is blocked for me at work
where as qgl is not
simple as that for me

yer, same here

asif having "game" in your url
04:34pm 10/04/10 Permalink
gamer
565 posts
Reason: Not Relevant
04:54pm 10/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15937 posts
nope. its basically random - if I increased the delay before it took you back to the thread by about 1 second I think it would be 100% effective at showing your post. But that's a lame workaround so I'm looking @ other alternatives first before doing that (like 'fake' adding it to the end of the thread or something).

Why does it take a while before updates are reflected anyway? Do you add a bunch of queries to a queue and execute them all at once or something?
06:19pm 10/04/10 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
4754 posts
Ok trog, I have a problem with this ausgamer site. In the site options section with the replies per page I've selected "Show all items on a single page" yet it only shows 50 per page. If you can fix this by tomorrow that would be cool. Thanks.
06:20pm 10/04/10 Permalink
gamer
566 posts
Reason: Not Relevant
08:28pm 10/04/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5016 posts
Just noticed the little bar at the top of QGL telling about the new Ausgamers skin. It reminded me to post another issue I found.

I've noticed a thread that consistently displays the first post mis-aligned from the rest of the page when viewed on my phone. I don't remember which thread it is, but I'll post it once I find it again (or if it happens on any other threads). This is on Android, which uses Webkit. The problem doesn't occur using QGL.
10:56am 12/04/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2631 posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the Ausgamers site still doesn't change the colour of the folders to indicate which threads have been updated since your last visit.
11:23am 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30200 posts
Unless I'm mistaken, the Ausgamers site still doesn't change the colour of the folders to indicate which threads have been updated since your last visit.
wow, I didnt even know QGL did that
11:31am 12/04/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2632 posts
Yeah, it a handy feature cause you dont waste your time in threads checking if your up to date.
11:39am 12/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5812 posts
Doesn't the new skin have the little "new post" arrows for you E.T.?
11:40am 12/04/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5284 posts
the ausgamers layout has no profile link for user that you can use to check their user id to see if they are a noob or an existing user that's changed their nick. as we all know... noobs must be segregated & tormented until they leave or a harden up to qgl standards ;p
11:46am 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30202 posts
the ausgamers layout has no profile link for user that you can use to check their user id to see if they are a noob or an existing user that's changed their nick. as we all know... noobs must be segregated & tormented until they leave or a harden up to qgl standards ;p
mouseover PM link (noob)
11:48am 12/04/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2633 posts
Hi Hoggy. I hadn't noticed that. Yes, they are there now that I know to look for them. Having said that, I think the QGL feature is more efficient in that its not taking up any more page real estate, it just recolours the folder.
11:52am 12/04/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
3241 posts
Every time I visit qgl I get asked that I should try the new ausgamers skin.

<3.
11:53am 12/04/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5285 posts
FINE!

btw: why does the user called gamer have no PM link? ^

(edit) also... either you guys are still changing stuff or it's a bit buggy. coz.. i made this post & it returns me to the thread but doesn't show my post & shows sigs even though i have sigs disabled in my profile. i reload the thread n it shows my post but now sigs are off... reload again... sigs back on again.

also also... my email attached to my profile is my old dem0n@dem0n.qgl.org one that hasn't worked for years... but it won't let me change it coz it reckons there is another account using the email addy i want to use... (probably an anonymous user account i set up to flame someone years ago :P) not that it matters i spose... there aren't a lot of email sent out to all users are there? i never subscribe to threads.
11:53am 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30203 posts
Every time I visit qgl I get asked that I should try the new ausgamers skin.

<3.
did you click close
11:57am 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30204 posts
FINE!

btw: why does the user called gamer have no PM link? ^
bug in the nuke template
11:57am 12/04/10 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7177 posts
Sadly, work has *.ausgamers.com blocked, but not *.qgl.org

so, I'm stuck using QGL at work, and I always forget to change over at home.
12:30pm 12/04/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6647 posts
the width of the main page is too thin :(
I like the overall look and feel but I'm so used to having 100% width posts
12:34pm 12/04/10 Permalink
Saint
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
2667 posts
also also... my email attached to my profile is my old dem0n@dem0n.qgl.org one that hasn't worked for years... but it won't let me change it coz it reckons there is another account using the email addy i want to use... (probably an anonymous user account i set up to flame someone years ago :P) not that it matters i spose... there aren't a lot of email sent out to all users are there? i never subscribe to threads.

Maybe login to your flame account and change its email address, then you can use it with your main account.
12:35pm 12/04/10 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
2635 posts
Demon, is your flame account name "fpot" ? That one seems to get used for flaming people all the time!
12:42pm 12/04/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
5816 posts
demon:

http://www.ausgamers.com/account/forgotten.php

You appear to be able to provide just your email addy to recover the dodgy account details.
12:55pm 12/04/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2929 posts
I prefer the old view.
01:00pm 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30206 posts
Turn on full width browsing?
01:03pm 12/04/10 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
1035 posts
Turn on full width browsing?

How many times have you had to tell people this now? I'm beginning to see a negative correlation between qgl forum users and intelligence...
01:07pm 12/04/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6651 posts
right, I must have missed that
shouldn't the QGL "skin" have that option enabled by default?
01:08pm 12/04/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5286 posts
Maybe login to your flame account and change its email address, then you can use it with your main account.

done & done :)
Demon, is your flame account name "fpot" ? That one seems to get used for flaming people all the time!

nah i'm not that flaming :D the flame account was actually Umblezi ... lols been a while since i used that for flaming :D
demon:

http://www.ausgamers.com/account/forgotten.php

You appear to be able to provide just your email addy to recover the dodgy account details.

cheers m8 :)

01:55pm 12/04/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11533 posts
heh that's what I usually name my mmo characters demon =]
03:20pm 12/04/10 Permalink
YoungNastyMan
Sydney, New South Wales
396 posts
Needs rss feed!
08:35pm 12/04/10 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1254 posts
i knows its partially forbidden talking about advertising but all the action of that ad bar hurts my eyes. i cant even look at it.

i got a suggestion...
how about you get teh ausgames an ausgamers skin for qgl. at least teh website will keep getting hits but those god-awful ads wont be so hard to deal with.

disclaimer:
i love the ads. ads are what makes these forums great.
i do like the 'smalltown' feel of qgl.
its gonna happen one day. the qgl mine will close and all the residents will be forced to move to the big city.
insert a big fat harmonica here ---->
08:43pm 12/04/10 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
1818 posts
Trog i just can't figure out what it is but something about it hurts my eyes. They are physically sore..

Will use it in the next few days to see if they adjust.

this ausgamers stuff better be worth my eyes s***ting themselves

Edit: Went to the AG theme and my eyes don't hurt.... Reckon i'll use this instead.

I feel dirty.
09:10pm 12/04/10 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1255 posts
so you should. you sinner.

09:18pm 12/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15966 posts
I just saw a message up the top of my screen telling me about the qgl theme for ausgamers, clicking on it brought me here.... the funny thing? I'm already using the qgl theme and browsing via ausgamers. Shouldn't it detect that & not bother telling me about it?
09:49pm 12/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30227 posts
I just saw a message up the top of my screen telling me about the qgl theme for ausgamers, clicking on it brought me here.... the funny thing? I'm already using the qgl theme and browsing via ausgamers. Shouldn't it detect that & not bother telling me about it?
it is only possible to receive that on the QGL site - I am 99.9999999999999999% confident you were on the QGL forum when you received that
10:36pm 12/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15967 posts
Maybe I clicked qgl out of habit then, I've been trying to use the ausgamers version more, guess it was a moment of weakness :(
12:29am 13/04/10 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3118 posts
Any luck on RSS feeds i keep going back to QGL site as that what my RSS feeds make me... :(

shouldnt be too hard to change??
03:52pm 15/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30286 posts
It sure shouldn't! I will try to get it in ASAP
04:14pm 15/04/10 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
5313 posts
sigs still appear at random for me... i have them turned off in the site options but randomly they re-appear :F
03:00pm 20/04/10 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17619 posts
yeah demon I complained about this weeks ago, still nothing :p
05:12pm 20/04/10 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
2729 posts
The only reason I don't use the new skin more is cause my work blocks ausgamers, but doesn't block ausforums.
05:23pm 20/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:23pm 20/04/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.