Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
IPv6 Information
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
270 posts
Afternoon all,

Got a fairly techical question here for anyone that may be able to help.
As most of you know IPv4 is old fassion now. My company wants to start using IPv6 in new networks featuring Domain / Terminal servers and eventually basic Peer to peer sites. Trying to figure out a good method of assigning machines local IPv6 addresses is posing quite a problem. Nothing technically wrong besides knowledge in the aspect of IPv6 configurations.

Another tech and I have figured out the basic non-routable configuration for IPv6 and understood it. What we are having a problem with is the 40bit's after the initial 8bit's.

| 7 bits | 1 | 40 bits | 16 bits | 64 bits |
+--------+---+--------------+------------------+--------------------------+
| Prefix | L | Global ID | Subnet ID | Interface ID |
+--------+---+--------------+------------------+--------------------------+

The Global ID is what we are having a problem with - You need to use an equation to work out what this global ID will be.
Here is the equation:
1. Obtain the current time of day in 64-bit NTP format
2. Obtain an EUI-64 identifier from the system running this algorithm
3. Concatenate the time of day with the system-specific identifier in order to create a key
4. Compute an SHA-1 digest on the key; the resulting value is 160 bits
5. Use the least significant 40 bits as the Global ID
6. Concatenate FC00::/7, the L bit set to 1, and the 40-bit Global ID to create a Local IPv6 address prefix

I tried looking for a program that will work this out for me with no luck.
This is the information I am working with at the moment:

" The allocation of Global IDs is pseudo-random [RANDOM]. They MUST
NOT be assigned sequentially or with well-known numbers. This is to
ensure that there is not any relationship between allocations and to
help clarify that these prefixes are not intended to be routed
globally. Specifically, these prefixes are not designed to
aggregate. "

Can anyone shine some light on this for me?
01:18pm 17/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:18pm 17/02/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
8601 posts
Why do you need IPv6 on a LAN?
01:19pm 17/02/11 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
3542 posts
Just a side question, why are you looking at ip4 for internal?

Surely you'd be better of sorting out IP6 externally and migrating to IP6 internally when needed, which you might not even need to do.
01:20pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
271 posts
We know IP4 is fine for internal. The problem is when a client wants to VPN or something of the sorts.

We have a few clients that have a fairly large private network.
01:21pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
8925 posts
I don't even get why you need to understand the protocal at that level anyway? What are you trying to do, in application terms? Or are you writing your own drivers or something?
01:23pm 17/02/11 Permalink
gamer
1682 posts
Welcome to the world of IPv6. My absolute f*****g nemesis since our company requires Direct Connect to be used ... we had to migrate most of the company (3 states) to IPv6.

At the moment, I would urge anyone who doesnt absolutly have to do it, to stay with IPv4 as long as they can. Wouldnt wish it on anyone.
01:31pm 17/02/11 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2378 posts
IMO, get an ipv6 prefix, and allocate all of your machines a proper IPv6 address instead of d***ing around with private ips. In other words, use globally routable addresses. Otherwise you may as well just stay with v4.
01:44pm 17/02/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
9998 posts
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_7-2/ipv6_autoconfig.html

edit: I'll elaborate a bit, you go apply through APNIC for your /32 and they go "yep, here have a few billion IPs"
set them up on your core, edge & any routes in between - then let autoconfigure take care of the rest

http://www.clarksys.com/blog/2009/03/12/howto-subnet-ipv6/
01:47pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
272 posts
IMO, get an ipv6 prefix, and allocate all of your machines a proper IPv6 address instead of d***ing around with private ips. In other words, use globally routable addresses. Otherwise you may as well just stay with v4.

We haven't confirmed this yet but we are fearing a problem with site to site private connections when it comes to using this..

We basically need to statically set all machines on every network to give us the management and usability we want.
01:56pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
273 posts
Hmm, I might be going down a completely different road then I'm meant to be going down I think.

"here will undoubtedly be folks assigning Global IDs of ::1/40. If you have ever went through a merger/acquisition with IPv4, do yourself a favor and follow academia for assigning your Global IDs."
02:12pm 17/02/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10001 posts
if you have the mac address of the machines in question you should be easily able to find their autoconfigure'd IPv6 addy
02:13pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
2880 posts
Even if you fudged it, you might be worrying a little too much about the chance of someone else picking the same 40 bit number as you.

To put it into perspective: I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 1 trillion, if every single person in the world took a different guess there would still be less than 1 percent chance that any of them would get it.
02:16pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
274 posts
Yeah, think I was looking at it all wrong.. Thanks all!
02:26pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
275 posts
Even if you fudged it, you might be worrying a little too much about the chance of someone else picking the same 40 bit number as you.

To put it into perspective: I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 1 trillion, if every single person in the world took a different guess there would still be less than 1 percent chance that any of them would get it.

Think if I used the MAC addresses as a standard for the global ID I should be all sweet.
02:32pm 17/02/11 Permalink
Intergage
Brisbane, Queensland
276 posts
I guess what I'm most worried (for lack of better words) is that if I don't stick to the standard and use (for example) a part of the PC's MAC address for the global ID and that just happens to land on the same as someone using what the standard SHOULD be that may make people angry.. Haha.
02:48pm 17/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:48pm 17/02/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.