Forspoken is a game that consistently fails to deliver, despite some lofty ideas, and manages only to impress in the most obscure moments.
Forspoken Review - An Awkward Experience
A celebration of the long-running franchise and a great way to kick off Switch gaming in 2023.
Fire Emblem Engage Review - Strategy Gold
With the Dead Space remake out this month, we sit down with the voice of Isaac, Gunner Wright, and Motive’s Joel MacMillan to talk in-depth about this passion project.
Dead Space Remake: The Big Interview
Speaking to the team at Blizzard about all things Diablo IV, we got confirmation that the team is planning some pretty epic stuff for its post-launch Seasons.
Diablo 4’s Seasons will Change Sanctuary in Dramatic Ways
Anyone have Nero 8 full edition?
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24666 posts
I just downloaded the trial to see if it can open the video files from my camera and, O M G, the only feature the trial doesn't have appears to be the ability to work with HD files of this sort.

How the f*** I'm supposed to evaluate the software without this feature given that's all I want it for is, of course, a whine for another time.

Just wondering if anyone has it and can download this video (~100mb) and see if they can open it and write it out to another file for me.
02:42pm 06/08/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:42pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
8586 posts
Im happy to try it for you when I get home tonight, dont have it at work unfortunatly :(
02:43pm 06/08/08 Permalink
bfj
Queensland
9 posts
wheres the video and whats the encoding/file type?

I have nero 8 full (legal) installed here on my work lappy
02:46pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
22264 posts
new neros are horrible
02:46pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24667 posts
bfj, ta, it's at http://trog.qgl.org/20080713103115.m2ts - it is an AVCHD .m2ts file which I think is some mpeg4 variant.

Basically I want to try and encode it to a full-resolution MOV or regular h264 .mp4 file.
02:47pm 06/08/08 Permalink
bfj
Queensland
10 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.m2ts

Currently, Nero Vision is capable of converting M2TS format to MPEG-4 files, which can be viewed using Quicktime 7.

downloading atm
02:49pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24668 posts
Yep, its one of the only things that appears to be able to, so I'm hoping it works. Will happily buy it if it does, but ffffffffffffffffff*** me it's stupid that the trial doesn't have all the features in there, especially as this one in particular seems to have a few people searching around high and low for it.
02:51pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Martz
tubby
Brisbane, Queensland
1591 posts
wtf trog, you know where you can get a Nero 8 "version" that has all the features working :/
03:02pm 06/08/08 Permalink
bfj
Queensland
11 posts
03:02pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2545 posts
M2TS is the format Blu-Ray discs use. It should already be in H.264, so all you need to do is remux the file if you want it in MP4. There's heaps of free software out there that will do that, you don't need Nero. Remuxing will only take a couple minutes, whereas I'm sure Nero will want to spend a few hours transcoding it.
03:14pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24669 posts
M2TS is the format Blu-Ray discs use. It should already be in H.264, so all you need to do is remux the file if you want it in MP4. There's heaps of free software out there that will do that, you don't need Nero. Remuxing will only take a couple minutes, whereas I'm sure Nero will want to spend a few hours transcoding it.
Well I've spent 3 weeks looking on and off and haven't found anything that'll do it reliably. If you find anything feel free to point it out :)

bfj - thanks, what are the other options under "format"? The AVI options all look like they're only able to use the Video for Windows codecs that are installed on your machine - which is not a terrible outcome but I don't really want to use xvid/divx if I can avoid it.
04:11pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2547 posts
Well, I know Tsmuxer will let you change it to a .ts, .mkv or .mpg file.

I think MediaCoder supports .m2ts files as well, so you could just use it to remux the file into .mp4/mov. Just set it to copy the audio and video streams, and set the container to what you want. Should only take a few minutes.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change it anyway? Your PC should be able to play it as it is.

last edited by Midda at 16:20:06 06/Aug/08
04:19pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24671 posts
I think MediaCoder supports .m2ts files as well, so you could just use it to remux the file into .mp4/mov. Just set it to copy the audio and video streams, and set the container to what you want. Should only take a few minutes.
It says it does, but it does not. See the comments in the announcement thread for AVCHD support - it's just people say "omg it doesn't work", which is the problem I'm having.
EDIT: Just out of curiosity, why do you want to change it anyway? Your PC should be able to play it as it is.
I don't have any codecs installed, so it can't. I want to be able to reliably convert it into a mpeg4 for flash streaming.

Just checked out TSMuxer, doesn't seem to offer .mkv as an export option unless I'm using the wrong version - I got it from doom9 forum here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134104
05:16pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2548 posts
Hmmm, I'm generally trying to go from MKV to m2ts for streaming to the PS3, so I'll have to check out all of the programs I've accumulated when I get home in 30 minutes or so. I'll have a look and let you know.

There is a much simpler solution than transcoding in Nero though, so I wouldn't suggest doing that. I'll check it out.
05:29pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24672 posts
cool, ta. TSMuxer demuxed the streams OK but mediacoder still refuses to understand the video stream, so I think it's just struggling with the specific AVCHD format still. I've tried a few other things (various mplayer/ffmpeg bits) and just seems like nothing wants to read it properly.

Apparently I can read it fine if I install a decent mpeg4 DirectShow codec and let MediaPlayer handle it, but i'm trying to avoid doing that as I don't want to be reliant on system codecs, if possible.
05:33pm 06/08/08 Permalink
blah123
Brisbane, Queensland
3 posts
Sorry - left work ages ago
I can try again tomorrow and see what other options are available

05:34pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2549 posts
Hmmm, well I've got the K-Lite codec pack installed on my system. If you want to avoid that, I guess that makes things different to what I've done. What about just installing FFDshow? If you have that, it can handle pretty much all of your high-end video needs without having to fill up your system with codecs. That may also allow MediaCoder to put the streams into a new container.
07:57pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24673 posts
AFAIK, MediaCoder doesn't use system codecs for anything - it directly handles the output using ffmpeg or whatever (unless you use AviSynth, but the current version of MC seems to have serious bugs with AviSynth, keeps crashing for me).

I have ffdshow installed at home; I'm pretttty sure I've already tried to do it here but I'll check again and see how far I can get.
08:08pm 06/08/08 Permalink
dee
Brisbane, Queensland
2290 posts
Have you tried xvid4psp? It does my iPhone H.264 vids rly well and has full customisation of all those mysterious matrix and macroblocks and all those crazy sounding video encoding settings which mean nothing to me.
08:09pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24678 posts
Yeh it plays at home in WMP, although with a few artifacts - I assume the ffmpeg implementation I'm using isn't exact enough. It'd prooooooooobably be good enough for my purposes but still want to see what Nero can do.
10:08pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2555 posts
I just tried opening a .mt2s file in MediaCoder, and it all works fine. I think the fact that you're trying to keep your installed codecs to a minimum is what's causing the fuss.
10:30pm 06/08/08 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
7148 posts
*sniff*

it's threads like this that I wish you would point the way to open source goodness
10:40pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2557 posts
Well, I was sure that FFmpeg (which is open-source) would would do the trick along with MediaCoder, but it doesn't seem to be working for Trog.
10:45pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24679 posts
I just tried opening a .mt2s file in MediaCoder, and it all works fine. I think the fact that you're trying to keep your installed codecs to a minimum is what's causing the fuss.
I can OPEN them in MediaCoder - it just can't output them to a new file. Did you try writing it out to an h264 mp4 (just revert all settings and hit start and see if it spits out a usable file).

If it works - can you send me the .mt2s file you're using (assuming it's smallish)? I'd be interested to see if I can open it at home (where I have the codecs installed). Is your .m2ts file definitely an AVCHD file tho?

edit: also, how gay is video
10:48pm 06/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2558 posts
Yeah, you're right, it opens fine, but it doesn't output correctly. How gay.

And yeah, it's an AVCHD file. It's strange, it's easy enough to go from MKV/MP4 to m2ts, but doesn't seem to be so easy the other way around.

EDIT: After looking at the other programs I've got, it looks like you might be able to do it with MeGUI. Take the streams you demuxed with Tsmuxer, and in MeGUI, go Tools> Muxer> MP4 Muxer. Plug in your raw streams, and let it go. I'd test it myself, but my files are huge and it would take ages to demux the raw streams.

You may need to install AVISynth with MeGUI. Try it anyway, you might not need it if you just want to mux.

last edited by Midda at 23:18:13 06/Aug/08
11:10pm 06/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24682 posts
Hmm, I'll have a try - I don't think it'll work because I don't think I managed to get AVIsynth to correctly read the file either
08:47am 07/08/08 Permalink
bfj
Queensland
14 posts
ok so it has avi, avi (dv), mpeg-1, mpeg-2, nero digital, nero digital avc, AVC

under mpeg-2 it allows me to select 1080p HDTV format etc
10:00am 07/08/08 Permalink
Dan
Special text
Brisbane, Queensland
8555 posts
I think the fact that you're trying to keep your installed codecs to a minimum is what's causing the fuss.
I was under the impression that mediacoder didn't rely on system installed codecs?
10:03am 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24687 posts
bfj, can you try a 1080i (if its an option) mpeg2?

If you have some more time, I'd be interested in knowing what options exist under AVC - I'm guessing its just h264 mp4?
10:07am 07/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2561 posts
I was under the impression that mediacoder didn't rely on system installed codecs?

Yeah, we established that, my mistake.

Hmm, I'll have a try - I don't think it'll work because I don't think I managed to get AVIsynth to correctly read the file either

The muxing tool in MeGUI didn't ask me for an AVIsynth script, it just wanted me to point it to the streams. It will probably work without AVIsynth installed.
10:22am 07/08/08 Permalink
bfj
Queensland
15 posts
MPEG-2
-> DVD-Video compatible
-> SVCD compatible
-> HDV HD1
-> HDV HD2 (1080i)
-> HDTV 1080i
-> Editable Blu-ray Disc compatible
-> Custom

AVC
-> AVCHD compatible (1920x1080 pixel fast encoding yada yada dolby digital ac-3 5.1)
10:24am 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24689 posts
midda, heh, the megui muxer just crashed trying to remux the files. I don't think it'll make any difference though, it looks like even if I get the muxed file I'll have to re-encode it and it uses the same components as everything else I've tried
10:44am 07/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2563 posts
Haha, bad luck. My last suggestion would be Ripbot264. It's another free one which also has MP4 output options. It's fairly straightforward to use.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to find a solution, and I'm especially surprised that MediaCoder failed for once. Did you try inputting the streams you got out of Tsmuxer into MediaCoder, rather than using the original m2ts file?
10:56am 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24690 posts
Did you try inputting the streams you got out of Tsmuxer into MediaCoder, rather than using the original m2ts file?
Well, no - as I understanding, demuxing just rips the raw streams out. The problem (from what I can tell) is that Mediacoder support for AVCHD h264 streams is not complete or not working, so short of transcoding it somehow else, mediacoder won't work ever until that is fixed.

bfj, if you have a few spare minutes, could you try encoding that video into an HDTV 1080i mpg2 profile and see what happens? thanks heaps dude.
11:03am 07/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2564 posts
Well, I've used MediaCoder to create AVCHD clips (that's the only way my PS3 will play H.264 files) from non-AVCHD H.264 files, and that's worked. I've just never used an m2ts file as the input, it's generally MKV files. May as well give it a go, you'll know pretty quick if it's not going to work.
11:06am 07/08/08 Permalink
dafugg
Brisbane, Queensland
1509 posts
If you haven't tried it yet, grab the ffmpeg trunk head and build it. Try using ffmpeg manually with even something as simple as "ffmpeg -i [yourcurrentfile] shinynewfile.avi" and see how it handles it. I just did a test with a reference m2ts and it worked for me but that's with head from yesterday plus some patches I use for other things that shouldn't change m2ts support.
11:35am 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24691 posts
dafugg, I haven't tried that because even if I can get it working on linux, I don't want to have to try to compile it on Windows to get it working as it looks like quite a battle
11:36am 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24698 posts
HMMM!

I have discovered 2 things:

1) If I look at the files on the actual camera, they're not .m2ts at all - they're .MTS. Not sure what the difference is.

2) MediaCoder does have a way of reading these files if you d*** with the settings and use these cryptic options. So I've got some stuff encoding now - still testing to see if its just cuz its the .mts or if the .m2ts files will work as well.

edit: AUGH! It seems to work perfectly, but after a few minutes mediacoder just crashes. WEAK!

last edited by trog at 15:20:10 07/Aug/08
03:01pm 07/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2569 posts
Can you set the audio/video streams to just copy, but change all the other stuff listed in that thread? Does that work?
03:54pm 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24703 posts
Nah, there's still something weird with the video codec in the raw stream. It needs to be transcoded into something non-AVCHD before my regular apps will deal with it happily.

I mean, I can do what you say, but i just end up with the same problem in a different container.
04:26pm 07/08/08 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
2570 posts
Oh okay, well if your video stream is somehow retarded, then I guess you've got no choice but to transcode.
04:31pm 07/08/08 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
24704 posts
Given up on the OSS route, just bought CoreAVC codec, fired up a DirectShow reader with AviSynth and imported with VirtualDub, output an Xvid. Worked almost perfectly (for some reason trying to do segments of the video only in VirtualDub f**** it completely, need to check that out some more).

Sample output - this is the view from my uncle/aunts place in Pacifica, CA - hawk circling for a feed: 14mb xvid

05:42pm 07/08/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:42pm 07/08/08 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.