And walk away largely impressed the completeness of it all...
We Play the First 4 Hours of Assassin's Creed Odyssey!
Lara's journey to become the Tomb Raider is complete. A fitting end and an often dark journey into the deep jungle.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider | Review
We take Your Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man for the review spin. Is there a new superhero king in videogame town?
Review | Marvel at Marvel's Spider-Man Because it's Marvellous
We chat with Gunfire Games about the road heavily traveled to bring Darksiders 3 out of the ashes...
Darksiders 3 Interview: Hell Hath no Fury Like a Dev Scorned
chevy badges on holdens?
stinky
Brisbane, Queensland
3088 posts
whats with the new gay fad of putting chevrolet badges on holdens? I've seen heaps in the last few months. Aren't holdens gay enough for these people that they need to gay them up more?
04:34pm 22/03/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:34pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2668 posts
i like it when you see SS badges on old barinas
04:37pm 22/03/09 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2082 posts
there alot "gay" in the first post
04:38pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1745 posts
its just wankish, like soarer owners putting lexus badges on their toyotas
04:41pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Articuz
Brisbane, Queensland
322 posts
agreed..
speking of which saw an ute the other day, and it was major fail.
the knob had "ss" stickers on the car and a chevy badge front and back.

I lolled...
04:50pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
3443 posts
it's actually an old fad..been happening ever since the ls1 was put into commodore..
04:53pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Corrupt
Brisbane, Queensland
1170 posts
badges for people who need them if i bought a mercedes or a bmw i would remove the badges.
05:00pm 22/03/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13662 posts
Maybe the people with SS on their cars are nazis!
05:07pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
2991 posts
I wouldn't call it a new fad either, people have been doing it since I was a kid.
05:10pm 22/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
592 posts
if i bought a mercedes or a bmw i would remove the badges.
The whole reason why you'd drive a BMW or a Mercedes is because you drive the name/badge. That's what you're paying extra for.
05:14pm 22/03/09 Permalink
CeMaX
Brisbane, Queensland
484 posts
The Soarer was released under two names, ie: Toyota Soarer & Lexus SC400.
05:15pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1746 posts
yeah but when you buy the toyota, you aren't buying a lexus
thus putting lexus badges on it makes you a wanker

I am +1 for removing badges on cars anyway, if I had a car that stood out I would definitely do it
there are some psychopaths out there who will key/scratch your car or let your tyres down/snap off the badge etc just because they're wankers/jealous etc
05:31pm 22/03/09 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
3352 posts
The Soarer was released under two names, ie: Toyota Soarer & Lexus SC400.

Wasn't the lexus only a v8 and the soarer only a 6? If so, it'd be like putting SS badges on a Commodore Executive.
05:38pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
2992 posts
The real wankers will know what car it is no matter if it has them or not. I'd be pretty suprised if someone failed to recognize a hummer just because you removed the badges.
05:39pm 22/03/09 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
3353 posts
I am +1 for removing badges on cars anyway, if I had a car that stood out I would definitely do it
there are some psychopaths out there who will key/scratch your car or let your tyres down/snap off the badge etc just because they're wankers/jealous etc

So in your logic, a bright orange lambo wouldn't get keyed/etc so long as it's been de-badged? A car stands out for more reasons than just the badge. In fact if you're buying a car that only stands out because of the badge then you're wasting your money.
05:41pm 22/03/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
9540 posts
The whole reason why you'd drive a BMW or a Mercedes is because you drive the name/badge. That's what you're paying extra for.

yeah not really

05:43pm 22/03/09 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
13703 posts
fyi they all look like that in south america

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x56/maxe1/PICT0004.jpg

can prob import the whole grille via ebay or some s***
05:43pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9440 posts
lol
pearls to swine

05:48pm 22/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
593 posts
yeah not really
S***, you make a compelling case, i'd look into the Law industry if i were you.
05:49pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9441 posts
no less compelling than your own statement
05:56pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1747 posts
So in your logic, a bright orange lambo wouldn't get keyed/etc so long as it's been de-badged? A car stands out for more reasons than just the badge. In fact if you're buying a car that only stands out because of the badge then you're wasting your money.

yeah.. great example
now lets use my statement with say, a bmw 315i w/o badges

05:57pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
3444 posts
maxe, of course they are sold like that in SA.. they are sold as GM not holden..
05:59pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9442 posts
yeah.. great example
now lets use my statement with say, a bmw 315i w/o badges

nah you're still not making much of a point dude, you can't mistake a 3 series for anything else just cos it doesn't have it's badges
06:00pm 22/03/09 Permalink
BatS***
Brisbane, Queensland
562 posts
Here we go again, Jim raging against the minority.

F*** JIM! Stop being such a racist.
06:00pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2669 posts
so anyway, i thought i'd rebadge my car, whaddya think??

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4269/badgeitup.th.jpg

http://imageshack.us/img/butansn.png Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
06:02pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1748 posts
people who don't drive bmw's can't, Jim ;)
I saw a black one that I mistakenly thought was a camry or something because it had 0 badges and I was sitting behind it up high in the 'lux

06:03pm 22/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
594 posts
What I'm saying is your paying extra on insurance, services, spare parts for a BMW/MERC because it's a BMW/MERC. The badge is part of what makes it prestige, not because the badge itself is literally worth 80k on its own, as you seem to have backwardly understood it. So what would be the point of removing the badge? to look less like a yuppy wanker? If that's the case you might as well buy a Nissan instead.
06:11pm 22/03/09 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
3354 posts
people who are likely to get jealous enough of a car to vandalize it will likely be able to tell the difference between a bmw and a camry.

the only reason people de-badge a 315i or a mercedes C180 is so that others might think they own a 328i or a C320 and aren't actually pov.
06:28pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9443 posts
teq I guess if the only part of the vehicle that's visible is higher than the top of the window sill you might be forgiven for making that mistake

booyah, the insurance on my '08 X5 is proportionally cheaper than the insurance on my '05 patrol - X5: $1000, patrol: $800. X5 replacement cost is about $160k, patrol is about $60k.
service? I've put 27,000k's on the clock of the X5 and it hasn't had a single service yet. It's due in about 5000k's and it'll cost about $500 and be good for another ~30,000k's. my patrol had had 6 services by the time it had 30,000k's on the clock and only the first one was free - the rest were $200-$400

spare parts? I guess if I kept the vehicle longer than it was out of warranty I'd care about that, but yes you're right there - they are typically more expensive

if I could be assed, I'd write a big spiel on exactly what you're getting when you buy a nice european car. you absolutely get what you pay for, and it far outweighs whatever amount is simply 'paying for the brand'. incidentally, where do you think 'the brand' comes from in the first place? there's a reason it has the brand perception that it does, which makes your entire premise kind of silly

06:31pm 22/03/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
9541 posts
pics of said 315i plz
06:32pm 22/03/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
699 posts
Whenever i see a car thats Made In Australia i get warm fuzzy feeling inside that my Taxes paid for at least half that car to be made here.

The Australian car industry is worse than a Welfare mum with 6 kids on Struggle Street.
06:47pm 22/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
597 posts
I agree with you in saying that you're not just paying for the brand but for the quality of the brand, because that's just obvious. I was trying to come to terms with removing the badge from a car that's obviously high quality. It's a high quality car and the consumer's perception of the car is associated with it's brand, so what purpose does it serve removing the badging from it? that's not say to the car isn't high quality anymore because it doesn't have it's high quality brand on it either, obviously.

A couple of years ago i owned 318IS BMW, and even though it was 95 a model it still was a BMW, badges and all, and as nice as it was for me to drive, the fact that it was a BMW was good enough for me to own at the time.

edit: just dugg up a photo of her, man i miss that Big Mammas Warts :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/zeezee/Cars/DSC01554.jpg

last edited by MatchFixer at 19:08:31 22/Mar/09
06:52pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9445 posts
I'm not a fan of debadging either, I don't really know why people do it. It's actually listed as a no cost option by the manufacturer too, so it's obviously pretty common - although I can't say I see a lot of european cars without their badges. To me it seems a bit tacky

06:58pm 22/03/09 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2083 posts
i normally feel, if its debadge its been in accident and they didnt want to pay the $50 for the new badges
07:05pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
24580 posts
lols americans motors
07:11pm 22/03/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13664 posts
I'm gonna put a chevy badge on my toyota, what do you think about that then huh? and a lexus badge on my holden.
07:34pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
118 posts
debadging makes no sense to me at all.
07:39pm 22/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
598 posts
Unless your drive a an R33, in which case a submarine brand will be more appropriate.
07:44pm 22/03/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4135 posts
pfft lol the chevy badge is now the badge of fail.

GM is about to keel over in a few weeks.

What once was a symbol of bogan pride is now just advertising that you're endorsing a collapsed car company.
07:49pm 22/03/09 Permalink
eP
Brisbane, Queensland
2206 posts
chev badges because the engine is a chevy engine... makes sense.
08:09pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1750 posts
lexus badge on my holden.

welcome to the toyota lexcen (VP commodore)
08:15pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Infidel
Netherlands
2728 posts
most new cars people buy in europe are debadged, mate couldnt explain why other than you only keep the badge on if you have the top model. Ie. if you have a 320d you takie off but if its a 335d it stays.
08:20pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4005 posts
chev badges because the engine is a chevy engine... makes sense.

How does that make sense? Maybe all those people with nissan silvias that fit 1jz's to their car should put toyota badges on their car because it has a toyota engine etc. The badge denotes who made the car not the motor.
08:28pm 22/03/09 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
13706 posts
fyi picked this up for my car in the USA

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x56/maxe1/dump/Image934.jpg

UNGH $$$$$$$$$$
08:35pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
179 posts
The funny thing is, in the US they pull off the Chevy badges and put Holden ones on.
08:55pm 22/03/09 Permalink
CactusSupreme
Gold Coast, Queensland
7 posts
I recently bought a dark green 1996 Holden Commodore manual ute and it hasn't got any badges... I wasn't very happy when I went to look at it but it is my first car and I'll probably sell it for a 4wd when I get my P's. But on another note my mum and dad wanted me to get a RWD 6 cylinder ute? I reminded them that I'm 16years old, on my L's, and probably not mature enough to be trusted with it. But I'm happy I have my own car, without badges..
12:39am 07/04/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
682 posts
I have the sudden urge to staple a pizza to your head.
12:46am 07/04/09 Permalink
GaZ
Brisbane, Queensland
2282 posts
yer i'm more of a de-badging man, like the subtleness of havin no labels.
06:26am 07/04/09 Permalink
sLiNky
Brisbane, Queensland
1062 posts
How does that make sense? Maybe all those people with nissan silvias that fit 1jz's to their car should put toyota badges on their car because it has a toyota engine etc. The badge denotes who made the car not the motor.

Just like Sang Yongs (sp?). They come out badged as Sang yong but then have a big merc badge in the middle of the boot because the engine is a merc engine.
08:38am 07/04/09 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
4901 posts
Saw a large silver LEXUS badge on a Lancer yesterday.

Same shape as mine (1991), but 10x more beatup, couldn't be more then $500.
08:56am 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4677 posts
Personally i have no troubles in people badging Holdens as Chevrolets. 2 reasons, they are sold in other parts of the world as chevrolets and the LSX motors are Chevrolet motors. Makes sense to me. Just remember this isn't the first time in history that Holden has used a Chevrolet V8 and people have badged them as such, hello 1968.
09:04am 07/04/09 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
4902 posts
Do standard $30k 6cyc Commodores have Chev engines though?

The douche I live with at Wynnum had at least 3 big gold Chev badges on his white government looking Commodore.

Along with heaps of blue neons, he even had skulls with blue neons in them sitting around his car.

God he failed.
09:15am 07/04/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4226 posts
i put hrc stickers on my trailbike coz they look cool man!
09:32am 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4678 posts
6cyl commodores most commonly have ecotec 3.8L V6s - motors of a buick design. So at a really big stretch, you could put Buick badges on your 6cyl commodore if you like.
09:45am 07/04/09 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
1892 posts
how about holden make their own engines, oh right they don't cause they're f*****g s***.
10:35am 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4679 posts
Uh, they do make their own engines. For the past 4 and a half years they've made the alloytec breed of engines, that are made in melbourne and put in commodores, saabs, alfas and isuzus.
10:50am 07/04/09 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
282 posts
Just to clear up a bit of misinformation...

6cyl commodores most commonly have ecotec 3.8L V6s - motors of a buick design

havent been any ecotecs in a number of years now. They are 3.6L alloytecs and are made (mostly) in Australia.

welcome to the toyota lexcen (VP commodore)

And the VN. And the VR.

Wasn't the lexus only a v8 and the soarer only a 6?

Lexus also had the SC-300 which was the same 6 cyl as the soarer

X5 replacement cost is about $160k

Jim earns too much money from computer games. I think he needs to donate it to the royal society for the rehabilitation of sufferers of tran.
11:24am 07/04/09 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
24 posts
It's been around for a long time. Hasn't anyone seen the old Monaros with big block chevs in them plastered with Chev badges? I guess they're just trying to say they have a "tough" motor.

I think it's a little better then all the odd-jobs driving around barinas with Opal badges on them :)
12:00pm 07/04/09 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
284 posts
I think it's a little better then all the odd-jobs driving around barinas with Opal badges on them :)

I dont see any point in de-badging/rebadging cars. If you are embarrased by the badge then you should have bought something else. And anyone who knows anything about cars will know that your 318i with a M3 badge on it isnt a real M3... M3's didnt come with single exhaust and 15" alloys (or plastic hubcaps).

As for the Opel badges... I dont like it. My car is an Opel, but in Australia its badged as a HSV VXR so thats what it stays as. People claim that rebadging their holdens as opels "restores their heritage". Whatever, its just a stick on badge.
12:06pm 07/04/09 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
1893 posts
Uh, they do make their own engines. For the past 4 and a half years they've made the alloytec breed of engines, that are made in melbourne and put in commodores, saabs, alfas and isuzus.
3 out of 4 of those cars are s***.
12:51pm 07/04/09 Permalink
CactusSupreme
Gold Coast, Queensland
11 posts
It's like when you see a really fat ugly chick with make up caked on her face and tight jeans. She thinks it is making her look better when in actual fact it is worse. Much the same as putting gold Chevy badges on your plain old boring Holden.
01:38pm 07/04/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9530 posts
haha crusher
there are no sufferers of tran, only embracors
01:56pm 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4680 posts
havent been any ecotecs in a number of years now. They are 3.6L alloytecs and are made (mostly) in Australia.
Yep, but you'll find there are more ecotec commodores in the wild than alloytec ones, so my statement still stands. my post previous to yours mentions that for the past 4 and a half years they've been aussie made alloytecs. Last ecotec was August 2004.
And the VN. And the VR.
And the VS.
Lexus also had the SC-300 which was the same 6 cyl as the soarer

Yep, the Soarer was badged Toyota Soarer in Japan regardless of motor, and was badged Lexus SC300/SC400 in the US and other export markets. They were exactly the same car, apart from wrong hand drive.
02:01pm 07/04/09 Permalink
Bonez
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts
I think that the addition of the Chevy bowtie on the Holden's is enduring :|

Makes me kinda miss the US :|

Actually all cars should be rebadged with the Chevy bowtie :P

Even Ford ;P

OK, all sarcasm aside, it is a silly thing to do, but hey it's their car, they can do whatever they want with it. BUT if you're going to put the badges on the front and rear of the car, please remember to change the wheels as well, so the Holden Lion is no longer anywhere to be seen, now that's idiotic.
02:07pm 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4681 posts
I suppose following by this logic then 3dee would have to put nissan badges on his VL.

And Jim, is the pootrol diseasel motor a renault design?
02:20pm 07/04/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9532 posts
nah it's a ZD30
the renault effort is for future models
02:47pm 07/04/09 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
7907 posts
meh looks better than a lion playing with its balls
02:49pm 07/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4682 posts
the renault effort is for future models
ah k.
03:15pm 07/04/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:15pm 07/04/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.