A challenging and thoughtful experience where lateral thinking and classic Nintendo game-design come together.
Raiders of the Lost Star - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review
We chat with The Division 2 game director, Mathias Karlson, and talk about lessons learnt post-epidemic!
Interview: The Division 2 Does Away with Divisive Game-Design
Set in the 1980s, during the later stages of the Cold War - Phantom Doctrine brings the art of espionage to the world of turn-based tactics.
With Phantom Doctrine You’ve Got XCOM in the Cold-War Era
Star Trek: TNG coming to Blu Ray next year!
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
511 posts
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/28/star-trek-the-next-generation-is-coming-to-blu-ray-starting-in/

It's official, Star Trek: The Next Generation will follow the lead of the original series and be released in remastered HD form next year.

I hope they do DS9 and Voyager when they're done. A ton of work no doubt going back to film and working off that.

03:32pm 29/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:32pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
19221 posts
Awesome

If they end up doing Voyager on Blu Ray I'll prolly grab that. F*** that was an awesome show.
05:17pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3969 posts
Yeah this will be pretty epic.
I read a few weeks back that Levar Burton (Geordi La Forge) dropped by the Paramount Studios to get a sneak peek at the proceedings and he described the new cut as simply incredible.

You're not wrong that it'll be a metric f***ton of work. Apparently they didn't have much choice to go back to the original film negative and starting from scratch because even though it was shot on 35mm and can be scaled to 1080p, all of the special effects were only ever done in SD. It was either redo everything, release a really s***** blu-ray conversion or not bother.
05:34pm 29/09/11 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
148 posts
Excited for this. Watching TNG is a bit of a pain now, it looks blurry as f***. Lucky they kept the 35mm reels, unfortunately another series I love, Farscape, didn't :(
05:48pm 29/09/11 Permalink
pixem
Sydney, New South Wales
332 posts
magic, love to see some ds9 in hd, i love the show but struggle to rewatch it in fuzzy 4:3. Going to take ages though, only 3 eps available in Jan. Cant expect season 1 for some while after it.
05:50pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5963 posts
Why, it's in 4:3? Does it really need to be re-released on BD?
06:18pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
512 posts
Why, it's in 4:3? Does it really need to be re-released on BD?

Pretty sure unlike the Star Trek TOS blu rays they will cut it to 16:9.

magic, love to see some ds9 in hd, i love the show but struggle to rewatch it in fuzzy 4:3. Going to take ages though, only 3 eps available in Jan. Cant expect season 1 for some while after it.

S1 one out in 2012, I image it will take a few years to have the whole thing done.

I hope they don't stop after a few. I stupid you can get Sopranos S1 and S6 on Blu Ray and the rest are DVD.
06:28pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
5964 posts
Pretty sure unlike the Star Trek TOS blu rays they will cut it to 16:9.

I own all 25 Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voy and Ent DVD box sets, and all except Ent are 4:3 :/
07:01pm 29/09/11 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
117 posts
I may have to get this, I do not own any legit star trek series, Bluray makes this even better.
07:24pm 29/09/11 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
512 posts
This is cool.

I have the Big Steel (well, 'steel looking' coz it sure as s*** ISN'T Steel) box set.

Looks like I'm going to be selling it.

If anyone is interested PM Me.
(No Reasonable offer will be refused)

S1-7 in a Cube like box (the ones Ezy DVD used to sell)
07:29pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3971 posts
I own all 25 Star Trek TNG, DS9, Voy and Ent DVD box sets, and all except Ent are 4:3 :/

The cuts they've released for broadcast, VHS and DVD are, yes. When they're coming from the film negative they can do all sorts of things like cropping differently per shot, do CGI compositing into existing shots to extend the frame, and possibly even use additional picture information that has never been broadcast.
07:39pm 29/09/11 Permalink
darkjedi
Hobart, Tasmania
3222 posts
So for something different, was watching the new My Little Pony with my girls and realised the voice of the baddy in the first two episodes of season 2 was John de Lancie, aka Q. was random, much.
07:42pm 29/09/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6524 posts
possibly even use additional picture information that has never been broadcast

07:42pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3972 posts
Haha something like that parabol, except on the edge of the frame :D
08:00pm 29/09/11 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
149 posts
It's unlikely the Blurays will be 16:9. The TOS Blurays were 4:3 after all, though when the HD masters aired on TV they were 16:9 (much like Seinfeld is). There is additional information on the sides in the 16:9, but only a little.

4:3 is fine anyway, it's how it was originally shot and the bump up in resolution should look great even if there is pillarboxing at the sides.
09:23pm 29/09/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3976 posts
Looks like you're right SwissCM
TrekMovie is saying it'll be 4:3
The 35mm negative has 1.37:1 picture information, so while they could play around with the framing of the live action to get it into 16:9 it doesn't look like they're going to. It's probably for the best though, just looking back at Encounter at Farpoint some shots I reckon it'd be ok and other shots it'd look bizarre. Besides, that'd add even more to the mega workload of redoing all the effects...

Back then the starship model footage was all shot on 35mm as well, not created digitally.
I guess that means the full frame effects shots will likely be the original aspect ratio also.
09:59pm 29/09/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7252 posts
Id be SHOCKED if it wasnt 16:9
Nobody wants to watch 4:3 content.
TOS was really good widescreen, it used to be on weekend on GO!
10:39pm 29/09/11 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
150 posts
I'd prefer to watch it in 4:3.

What a surprise though, Faceman is wrong again.
02:19pm 30/09/11 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
611 posts
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/11/2700698/first-glimpse-of-star-trek-the-next-generation-for-blu-ray-released

The loyalty to the original series is evident, even down to retaining the now outdated 4:3 aspect ratio.

Of 178 episodes, only three have undergone the process to so far, which are now available to pre-order on Blu-ray for $21.99, and will be released on the 31st January. CBS aren't stopping at that, though: the rest of the seven seasons will be worked on in time, with the full series one being released in a box set by the end of 2012.

01:49am 13/01/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1030 posts
Shiny picard head in HD, better watch out for glare. Baldly go where no man has gone before.
07:51am 13/01/12 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
444 posts
"Tea, Earl Grey, Hot" Soon to be in HD. I hope the first disc does not cost $50+
08:39am 13/01/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6916 posts
Wow, that looks insanely betterer. I'm not a big fan of Trek but I've never minded it as far as sci-fi goes.
09:26am 13/01/12 Permalink
Crusher
Sydney, New South Wales
1033 posts
Have all the phasers been replaced by walkie talkies?
10:55am 13/01/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8069 posts
so Star Trek is widescreen but this wont be ?

I saw a few of the Star Trek episodes on GO! and they were really good.
Great sound some new SFX and widescreen, they chopped some of the vertical like Seinfeld, but someone told me it was filmed on some kind of film that made it easier to do whereas TNG was shot on tape ?

How about redoing Lost In Space ?
11:51am 13/01/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:51am 13/01/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.