We take DICE's latest Battlefield installment for an in-depth review run -- how does it fare?
Five Times a Charm - Battlefield V | Review
At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
Plus, of course, plenty of B.O.B. - Ashe’s trusty Omnic sidekick.
Talking Overwatch and the 29th Hero Ashe with Jeff Kaplan
Our in-depth conversation with with Microsoft’s Chris Charla, the head of its indie platform – ID@Xbox.
In Conversation - Talking Indies and More with Chris Charla
We Happy Few Coming to Australia, Rated R18+
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
4103 posts
We Happy Few's surprise ban back in May came as a bit of a shock to most of us because the game itself outside of its serious subject matter didn't seem all that controversial. In fact, it's theme of an oppressive government controlling what people do and feel made the classification refusal seem more like a self-fulfilling prophecy than anything else.

Which is why it's good news that We Happy Few's initial ban has been lifted thanks to a fresh new R18+ rating,
A three-member panel of the Classification Review Board has unanimously determined that the computer game We Happy Few is classified R18+ (Restricted) with the consumer advice 'Fantasy violence and interactive drug use'.

So yeah, turns out the initial ban was all about the title's use of Joy - a government prescribed drug used to control the in-game population. Where taking it made the game easier - hence serving as potential gateway to your nearest ice dealer. Or so the thinking goes.

We Happy Few developer Compulsion Games also took to its own site to note that the game will be released unmodified in Australia - and that media and community attention played an important role in getting the refusal overturned.
We went to a great deal of effort to get this decision overturned. We Happy Few will be rated R18+ in Australia.

We are extremely pleased with the decision of the board and excited that our Australian fans and new players will be able to experience We Happy Few without modification.

We want to thank everybody who got involved in the discussion, contacted the board and sent us countless messages of support. Your involvement made a huge difference.

And so, we can all now re-pencil that August 10 release date in our calendars.
11:06am 04/07/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:06am 04/07/18 Permalink
Llian
Central Coast, New South Wales
107 posts
The board needs to be staffed by people under the age of 40 who have a background in gaming AND movies. Not orthodoxy.
06:50pm 04/07/18 Permalink
slayerking
Central Coast, New South Wales
1 posts
Why Llian? I'm 46 and sent these bunch of morons an email about this. I have been a gamer since the first arcade machine was put into take aways back in the late 70's. I have also had to put up with idiots in the government telling me what I can play since then. I unlike you, have been fighting for the R rating in oz for a long time and when this organisation bans games still, it pisses me right off, And I let them know just how much it pisses me off in that email I sent to them.

So tell me again anyone over 40 should not be in there! the imbecile age is around the mid 60's now so we wont have to put up with this crap much longer.
12:27pm 05/07/18 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7725 posts
I think the poignant phrasing here also is "interactive drug use". R18+ is not for anyone under 18 years of age, and with numerous other adult forms of media featuring drug use, that the board has now initialised that as part of the warning label means games like Cyberpunk 2077 and others, intended solely for adults, will be safe to pass classification.
02:33pm 05/07/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:33pm 05/07/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.