We don synthetic skin to live the life of a robot in service of that one true evil... mankind
Detroit: Become Human - Press X for Review
On-hand at the recent Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 reveal event and went all in on story, battle royale, and multiplayer.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 - The Big Interview
Obsidian's latest is a truly epic RPG full of high-seas exploration, wonderful writing, and memorable moments.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Review - A High-Seas Classic
The Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part Four)
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3356 posts
And so here we are, with the final part in our countdown of the greatest videogame soundtracks of all time. Perhaps something you were hoping to see made it into the list. Finally! Or missed out. Screw you Kosta! Which is to say that this list is subjective, and as a life-long fan of music in general why not chime in with your alternate top five. I'd love to read about/hear them.

10. Journey

Platform: PlayStation 3
    Year: 2012
    Composer(s): Austin Wintory

The first videogame soundtrack to be nominated for a Grammy, and it’s not hard to see why. Or more precisely, hear why. Like the title itself, listening to the music created by Austin Wintory for Thatgamecompany’s Journey feels like embarking on a very personal musical journey. Now, music that can transplant the listener to a specific time, place, or even feeling is as old as the art form itself, but what makes the music to indie hit Journey so special is that the instrumentation, solos, and themes reflect the introspective nature of the visuals. Take away the music, or by that token the visuals, and you’re left with one half of a truly transcendent interactive experience.

Click Here to Read the Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part Four)
04:09pm 09/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:09pm 09/02/18 Permalink
Che
Perth, Western Australia
5 posts
No Star Control 2?
04:22pm 09/02/18 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12263 posts
Metroid Prime! Phendrana Drifts! Excellent choice.

Metroid Prime is my favourite game of all time, in part due to the amazing soundtrack. Great job.
04:29pm 09/02/18 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15621 posts
No Licensed soundtracks in the list? GTA: Vice City and Rock n Roll Racing notably absent.
06:05pm 09/02/18 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3357 posts
Yeah, kept it to original soundtracks. I feel that licensed should be it's own separate list.
10:35pm 09/02/18 Permalink
jmw2689
Brisbane, Queensland
11 posts
Glad to see Journey in there, but surprised Cuphead didn't get a mention!
08:56am 11/02/18 Permalink
samatt
South Australia
96 posts
Honourable mention The Neverhood.
01:05pm 11/02/18 Permalink
samatt
South Australia
97 posts
Also the Sergio Leone inspired Outlaws soundtrack was great, impossible job to mention them all, great article idea well done.
01:08pm 11/02/18 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
19167 posts
needs more witcher 3

01:21pm 11/02/18 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2831 posts
No Command and Conquer or Red Alert. Outrageous.

https://i.imgur.com/LKSq07Y.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/gwl80Hu.gif

Anyone got recommendations on some good game OSTs, including the ones listed in the articles?
05:49pm 11/02/18 Permalink
SwissCM
Gold Coast, Queensland
283 posts
The lack of Command & Conquer is a little bit of an oversight, Just Do It Up is catchy as hell.

Tim Follin's work often gets overlooked, probably because most of the games he scored are terrible. Most of what he's made tends to have a heavy prog-rock influence so if you don't like that then it may not be your thing, but his mastery of early sound chips is impressive whatever your taste. The NES sound chip shouldn't be capable of something like this or this.

Even the ZX Spectrum, a machine with a 1bit beeper speaker could manage some impressive stuff in his hands. It's a little hard to listen to with headphones, but compare this to anything else available on the platform and it's like some kind of sorcery.

His 16 bit work was also excellent, but also relatively obscure. Rock & Roll Racing for the SNES was him and contains some of the best guitar sampling I've heard. Plok sounds unlike any other SNES game and the unreleased Sega Mega Drive version of Time Trax has a fairly incredible intro song that does stuff with the Yamaha YM2612 that shouldn't really be possible.

last edited by SwissCM at 19:40:33 11/Feb/18
07:32pm 11/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:32pm 11/02/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.