At QuakeCon 2018, Bethesda Game Studios was on hand to talk at length about its next release – Fallout 76.
Fallout 76 – Perk Cards, Mutations, and Dealing with Trolls
After getting banned and then un-banned in Australia, the long-awaited We Happy Few has finally been released. But, was the wait worth it?
We Happy Few Review - Frustration and Joy
We take Spidey for a websling through the Big Apple. How does it fare in the superhero gaming space? Click through for more!
Hands-On with Spider-Man - Arkham by Day?
Blizzard and Nintendo back together at last, with a game that just might be perfect for the Switch
Diablo III For Nintendo Switch Officially Announced!
The Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part One)
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3297 posts
Join us as we bring you our countdown of the best videogame soundtracks of all time. From the days of limited sound hardware across consoles and PCs through to the high-fidelity high-storage media of recent times. Starting today we bring you the first batch of great tunes, counting down 40 through to 31.

Including, the first Bonus Track.

Any blockbuster movie released over the last 30 years has done so alongside a suitably epic orchestral, instrumental, or synthesised soundtrack. Without music, the on-screen action would have felt lifeless. And almost completely devoid of propulsion. Today a blockbuster game release can and often will feature a soundtrack as aurally impressive and bombastic as a film of similar ilk. In fact, many games today borrow musical cues quite liberally from many films. But for most of the last 30 years of gaming, something like that just wasn’t possible.

Mainly because when they did decide to “borrow” musical cues, the result was, well, different. During the 1970s and 1980s both consoles and personal computers struggled to recreate plausible sound effects, let alone music. Game music was often tied to specific, and often limited, audio hardware that had to be programmed to recreate music. Instrumentation was rudimentary at best, piano chords often sounded like harmonic beeps, and file-size limitations resulted in musical pieces that didn’t last very long at all. And would often, just loop over and over.

Click Here to Read The Top 40 Game Soundtracks of All-Time (Part One)
01:17pm 30/01/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:17pm 30/01/18 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2827 posts
I downloaded that Ridge Racer soundtrack, Seems cool.
03:04pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24004 posts
Number 1: Nier Automata
03:28pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9561 posts
I can't wait to see what gets overlooked.

04:00pm 30/01/18 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
3300 posts
Blade... it's awesome :)

oh and khel.. you might be disappointed.... hehe
04:01pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3354 posts
Man that Ridge Racer track is some sweet beats!

Here's one of my favs, Airstrike, the end credits song from C&C. Oh the memories!

So many of the original C&C songs are just ace.
05:30pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24006 posts
oh and khel.. you might be disappointed
05:45pm 30/01/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26196 posts
Deus Ex Hong Kong theme is probably my favourite individual level music of all time. Rainbow Six Rogue Spear had awesome music in the menus. If I were to vote for all time greatest it would have to be MechWarrior 2.
07:30pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Jez
Sydney, New South Wales
11 posts
Awesome. Ive been rockin game soundtracks for a while so a list like this is great reading. Some of my favourites that i listen to regularly include the original unreal tournament score, simcity 4 (simply wonderful), starcraft, diablo II. The sound selection that came with BotW is awesome but there are many more tracks in the game that arent on there. Quake 1 being scored by Trent Reznor is still one of the best even though it is mostly ambient noise but man so fitting for the game and i mean NIN come on. Special mention to sonic rampage for the quake 2 soundtracks also so rockin. Doom 2016 by mick gordon is just amazing. And theres still a place in my heart for the sonic 2 soundtrack from the master system. My first game so many memories. Plenty more ofcourse DKC 1 2&3 majoras mask ocarina the fallouts on and on
10:55pm 30/01/18 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
24007 posts
Yeah, Doom 2016 soundtrack was amazing. Also, can't talk about Command and Conquer soundtracks without mentioning Red Alert's Hell March, that's a classic
12:42am 31/01/18 Permalink
Vash
5697 posts
01:09am 31/01/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3356 posts
Hong Kong over Unatco fpot!? Love how the original Deus Ex songs were on radios randomly in MD.

So many great soundtracks.

I have to say, I did love just wandering around the landscape in TW3, defo down to the amazing environments but also the ace music.
03:29am 31/01/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26198 posts
Totally! That's when the game really takes off and is by far the best area in the game. Just in the middle of a Deus Ex playthrough right now in fact. Amazing how well that game predicted a post major terrorist attack world. Fun fact: I was playing Deus Ex when 9/11 happened. Imagine exiting out, opening your web browser and being confronted with the opening stanzas of that day. F*****g surreal it was.
03:47am 31/01/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26200 posts
Also, Morrowind sound track.
07:33am 31/01/18 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
3359 posts
I'm also in the middle of a DX: MD play through, although I'll be damned if I can get it to run smoothly! On a GTX 1080 no less :(

The original is a classic and oddly prescient in so many ways, you seen this? Great watch. Skip to 21:00 for his bit on why it's one of the most significant games of all time, still really relevant for our current times.

02:25am 02/02/18 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
26205 posts
Yeah I couldn't get that to run smoothly until I had my SLI setup running. MSAA is out of the question and you may want to turn screen space reflections to get decent performance. Mine runs better in DX12 mode so but apparently that varies.

Will watch the video when I get home.
08:05am 02/02/18 Permalink
Nick
21 posts
Great list... I'd put Eternal Darkness and Shadowman in there somewhere personally..

So many great games!
11:57am 12/02/18 Permalink
Nick
22 posts
Great list... I'd put Eternal Darkness and Shadowman in there somewhere personally..

So many great games!

Oh Dead Space 2!!
11:58am 12/02/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:58am 12/02/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.