Bethesda ports for Switch are now two for two thanks to the great work in bringing this classic RPG to the console
Skyrim on Nintendo Switch - Our Review!
An in-depth behind-the-scenes look at the game. And bass fishing.
How Ubisoft Bottled Beauty and Batshit Crazy for Far Cry 5
Join us on a chronological journey as we go through some of the highlights from three decades of Creative Assembly, the studio responsible for the brilliant Total War.
Celebrating 30 Years of Creative Assembly
Recently we had the chance to sit down with the head of Microsoft’s indie game service ID@Xbox, Chris Charla, to discuss all things Xbox, indie, and the future of the platform.
Talking Indies and Xbox One X with ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla
Noisy USB ports (fzzt noises when recording audio)
Reality
Sydney, New South Wales
461 posts
so I have this issue with recording sound through my computer via USB:

I have an external audio interface (basically a soundcard) connected to my computer via USB, and I use it to record audio coming from instruments. but there's noise! you probably know the noise i'm talking about: like when you move your mouse, or your computer starts an operation, and you can hear this high pitched 'squeee'.

I know it's a USB problem because when I unplug the USB cable, the noise goes away. I tried plugging it into different ports but that doesn't seem to make a difference. has anyone had this problem before?
01:22pm 22/04/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:22pm 22/04/14 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1935 posts

Sounds like you've got a ground loop. There might not be much you can do about it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/aug94/groundloops.html

I've had similar problems at home, but the noise wasn't actually being recorded, it was just buzzing in my speakers. I use a laptop, so my solution to get rid of it was to unplug the laptop from power and run it on battery.
01:30pm 22/04/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1774 posts
Are you using an SSD hard drive?
02:44pm 22/04/14 Permalink
Reality
Sydney, New South Wales
462 posts

yes, 1
02:45pm 22/04/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1775 posts
Ok, serious time. As above, it's most likely a ground loop, common with instruments.

http://guitarcenter.lithium.com/legacyfs/online/15132_Ground_Loop.jpg

Does your computer record the issue or is it just through playback? Your speakers, if externally powered, could be the catalyst for this issue as well. As another test, unplug the speakers from the computer and do a recording. Plug speakers back in, unplug the USB, and replay.
02:50pm 22/04/14 Permalink
Reality
Sydney, New South Wales
463 posts

i knew it! bastard!

thanks guys, turns out that it was because my monitors were plugged into a different outlet. hope this helps anyone with the same problem with their troubleshooting.
07:10pm 23/04/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1792 posts
Nice. Least you got it working.
06:12pm 24/04/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10458 posts
you're recording audio...

talk to a mate who is a mate ( worth even half his salt ). He'll put you onto a mate who's an ACMA Qual'd ( or oldschool better ) tech who will ground your gear
09:27pm 24/04/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:27pm 24/04/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.