Researching the world of Warhammer proved to be somewhat similar to their deep dives into real world history. Creative Assembly open up about the latest Total War.
Talking Total War Warhammer II with Creative Assembly
The looming Darkness has not consumed Bungie at this point in time. Quite the contrary. Destiny 2 is the glorious self-rez fans have been praying for.
Out of Orbit - Our Full and Complete Destiny 2 Review
With the NES emulator naming of 'flog' it showcases the ability for the Switch to play NES games. But, it also raises the question of - why?
The Heart-Warming Story Behind the Switch's Hidden NES Golf Game
Having recently entered the Early Access stage of development, we go hands-on with the latest build of id Software's Quake Champions.
Fraggin' Good Times - Hands-On with Quake Champions
Recommend me a TV - Thread #eleventy bajillion
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6804 posts
Need a decent LCD/LED 40"-46", good motion display for the footy 100hz?, preferably SMART compatible, no s***** 3d gimmickry required.

Cheers, ta, hi5's all round.
11:56am 20/04/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:56am 20/04/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4936 posts
Sony Bravia range, or Samsung would be my top brands. Pretty much all the latest models are "smart".

I have a Bravia, 40" as my 2nd TV. It has Ethernet and wifi and you can connect a HDD for recording. Plus I can connect Plex or Serviio direct from my server.

I'd also go to JB or Good Guys for price comparison.
12:16pm 20/04/14 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
21398 posts
I just got a Samsung 40" for $649 Wifi and all the s***. Awesome TV and now I got a NAS for it my life is complete.
12:22pm 20/04/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1766 posts
I have a Bravia, 40" as my 2nd TV. It has Ethernet and wifi and you can connect a HDD for recording. Plus I can connect Plex or Serviio direct from my server.

All this stuff for a TV nowadays. Connectivity is where it's at.
12:25pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
919 posts
Well,as per my For Sale thread a while back I found the LG Smart LED range to be absolutely 100htz styles mind blowing. Jb's, all the wizz bangs, looked the best to my eyes anyway. Grabbing the 55" soon and whacking it in another room. :)
12:47pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
14985 posts
Sorry I'm nub and lazy, but what is SMART?
12:55pm 20/04/14 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
21399 posts
You can stream YouTube and other TV via Wi-Fi connection and also connect wirelessly to ask other devices in your house, eg PC NAS or tablet.

Samsung has a zillion sites you can stream from and also you can use a web browser
01:03pm 20/04/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4938 posts

Yeah just means they've got all the technology built in as per infi post plus can have Ethernet so the TV is connected to the internet always.

Couple of new ones have twin tuners now so even the old PVR is on its way out.

Sony and Samsung have a bunch of their own apps and you can get the usual bunch of FTA apps like iView, SBS on demand, etc etc.
02:52pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
14989 posts
Yeh I have a s***** cheap JB brand TV that has similar s*** on it.

Never seems to be as good as a cheap HTPC though
03:04pm 20/04/14 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6805 posts
Seems like this ticks all the boxes. Anyone care to comment on the reliablilty of the LG brand as I have never owned any of their stuff before?

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyonline/LG_42%22(106cm)_FHD_LED_LCD_100Hz_3D_Smart_TV_42LB6500
03:16pm 20/04/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4939 posts
LG are fine. Most main brands are these days. I've had 3 LG's and my old plasma, my first ever eBay purchase, only died at Xmas after 8 years. The other 2 are going strong.

What's your price limit? Cause this one is a good deal and you can probably talk them down and step up to 50"

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/sony/50-inch-full-hd-3d-led-lcd-100hz-tv-sku-534333/
04:09pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
8446 posts
I've been really happy with both the Sony 55HX750 and 40W600(? 620?) I've got. The W600 bing newer does DLNA and other stuff like that much better, and I'm noticing I'm getting a firmware update about once a month which is nice, means they're obviously fixing or adding stuff.
04:19pm 20/04/14 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
6806 posts
LG are fine. Most main brands are these days. I've had 3 LG's and my old plasma, my first ever eBay purchase, only died at Xmas after 8 years. The other 2 are going strong.

What's your price limit? Cause this one is a good deal and you can probably talk them down and step up to 50"

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/sony/50-inch-full-hd-3d-led-lcd-100hz-tv-sku-534333/

Yeah that's not bad. Lounge room is samll-medium size so I didn't want a huge screen but I will defo check it that one out tomorrow.

Cheers
05:57pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
12031 posts

It just means your TV will be part of a giant botnet one day.
06:07pm 20/04/14 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
4940 posts
Yeah that's not bad. Lounge room is samll-medium size so I didn't want a huge screen but I will defo check it that one out tomorrow.

definitely check out a few in store to see screen res and colours.

what's the distance from lounge to TV? use this guide

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/article/320656/how_pick_right_size_tv_your_living_room/
06:13pm 20/04/14 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
289 posts
only died at Xmas after 8 years.

It's pretty sad when 8 years is seen as a long time for a TV these days.
10:58pm 20/04/14 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1986 posts
... 8 years is seen as a long time ...

No-one here is gonna stop you from going back to SDTV.

(Part of me agree's with your sentiment, but the more I think about it, the tech from 10-15+ years ago (CRT's etc) seemed functionally much more simple, and we also didn't ask 1/10th of them what you'd come to expect from a TV today.)
04:24am 21/04/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37744 posts
f*** lg, id go samsung, coz i love mine.

runs plex, abc iview and the yuotubes, which is exactly what i want my tv to do.

screw buying a htpc when you dont need one.
11:00am 21/04/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1768 posts
Well,as per my For Sale thread a while back I found the LG Smart LED range to be absolutely 100htz styles mind blowing.

I was going to link your thread but I then remembered there was that queer in there selling snake oil sound products again.

Unfortunately, nobody needs to witness that trash.

http://www.ausforums.com/images/icon7.gif
It just means your TV will be part of a giant botnet one day.

F*****g lol.

f*** lg, id go samsung, coz i love mine.

Remember GoldStar? They were a sister company to Lucky (plastics company) and they merged to form Lucky Goldstar. Since Goldstar TV's were s***, they renamed the company to "Lifes Good".

All in all, you're buying a Goldstar.
11:52am 21/04/14 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22886 posts
^^ maaaan I thought I was the only one who remembered where LG originally came from
01:05pm 21/04/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
14994 posts
screw buying a htpc when you dont need one.

AT any time I have 3-4 dormant leftover PCs so nerrrrr
01:59pm 21/04/14 Permalink
TicMan
Brisbane, Queensland
8973 posts
Get a Samsung series 6 and you'll be happy. I bought one just after December and it's brilliant. Picture quality is amazing but the apps are what makes it great. There's all the usual TV station ones (iView, Yahoo7, TEN, etc) but the Plex client is sweet when teamed up with my Plex Server in the computer room.
05:36pm 21/04/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:36pm 21/04/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.