The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Refresh rate and video playback issue
Medawky
Sydney, New South Wales
3 posts
Hey guys, I got a small issue, hoping someone has an answer;

My main monitor is a 4k, running 30hz. Naturally any 60fps video content is played back at 30fps, this is fine. However, i recently brought out my samsung S23A950 (120hz TN panel) and extended my desktop to it, hoping to throw any 60fps video onto it, so it can play it at full 60fps, given it can do 120hz on the desktop. To my suprise, the video is also capped at 30fps on the secondary monitor, very weird. I have made sure the second monitor is infact running 120hz, super smooth mouse movement etc, however, no matter what player I use, all my video is capped to 30fps, obviously my main screen has something to do with it.

Any ideas? I have tried, WMP, VLC and Nero players, all behave the same. Tried windowed and full screen, no go.
03:24am 02/11/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:24am 02/11/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
36762 posts
i dont think video is gonna play at 60fps because its only 24 or 30fps anyway.
06:28am 02/11/13 Permalink
Medawky
Sydney, New South Wales
4 posts
No the video is 60fps, and it does play at 60fps if I drop my main monitor down to 1080p 60hz. So theres some sort of silly capping going on. Its probably time for win 8.1 i think.
01:37pm 02/11/13 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
11284 posts
What is this rare 60fps video you speak of?

PAL video is 25fps, NTSC video is ~30fps.
01:46pm 02/11/13 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1783 posts
Could it be a hardware bottleneck at higher resolutions?
01:47pm 02/11/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3334 posts
What is this rare 60fps video you speak of?

PAL video is 25fps, NTSC video is ~30fps.
That's not really relevant outside of TV broadcast/DVD formats though isn't it?

Digital video like h.264 can be 60fps.

Perhaps it's even something in the h.264 decoder that is causing the 30fps cap, is the 120hz monitor the default display?
02:08pm 02/11/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22357 posts
Guys, don't be d*******s about the FPS, many sports cameras can record in 60fps quite easily.

No the video is 60fps, and it does play at 60fps if I drop my main monitor down to 1080p 60hz. So theres some sort of silly capping going on. Its probably time for win 8.1 i think.

What version of windows are you using now?
05:54pm 02/11/13 Permalink
Medawky
Sydney, New South Wales
5 posts
Im suprised some people think 60fps video is rare. Almost all games run at 60fps, so a basic fraps capture can produce 60fps video. Forget TV or movie format 24p content etc etc, that is not the point of this post. Like also mentioned above, most cameras now have 1080p 60fps video capture modes. So 60fps video is VERY common, even Samsung galaxy S4 and note3 can record 1080p60 video :)

So, back to the topic, im after more technical feedback if possible, but thanks for those who already tried. I know my scenario is not a common one, not many ppl run a 30hz monitor as main, so these sort of issues are rather new. But im suprised to see this sort of thing happening under Windows 7, with the latest drivers from Nvidia.
03:07pm 05/11/13 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5414 posts
I think it's just a Windows thing. Try setting the S23A950 as your main monitor and see how that goes?
03:14pm 05/11/13 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
11291 posts
I take it all back, I downloaded a 60fps video the other day. Seems I'm behind the times.
03:53pm 05/11/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
3384 posts
are you editing for slow motion feature sequencing?

afaik from what info i've sponge bobbed from proper farked film & tv nerds is that high motion/high resolution capture hardware is used to capture & frame out fast moving objects or phenom that are not easily captured in standard frame or more interestingly displayed in slow motion

why else you'd need to work in >24~30fps is Beyond 2000 (that's a lame TV joke) other than the cool factor of it

some of the angles i've seen applied from slow motion tech are beyond imagination and into the realm of genius. others like the darker side of high tech and surveying like military uses, controversial

but meh, i didn't ask for those uploads | /yikes/darkdata/leaks
03:58pm 05/11/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
37495 posts
I think it's just a Windows thing. Try setting the S23A950 as your main monitor and see how that goes?
yeh, I seem to recall something weird about running multi-monitors having effects on things like this
04:58pm 05/11/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5931 posts
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719106

There setting in video card maybe try that?
05:18pm 05/11/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
571 posts
I have 3x S27A750D's all at 120Hz and I don't have this problem. I was playing vids of 30, 40, 50, and 60 fps.

However, I believe when you drag the software between the screens the video can f*** out and do odd things. I suggest using Windows + Shift + Arrow Keys to move windows from one screen to another without having the software on 2 screens at any one time.
05:31pm 05/11/13 Permalink
Medawky
Sydney, New South Wales
6 posts
I have tried setting the 120hz as the main monitor, same deal. The only way the 120hz will play it at full 60fps is if i disable the 30hz monitor or set it to 1080p @ 60hz, which is no go. Have also tried disabling the Aero vsync, no go. Iv put it down as silly software, i might do a dummy win8.1 installation on a seperate hdd to see if that gets around it, as Win8 multi monitor handling is alot better than Win7 which is full of micro stutters etc (except for eyefinity which works well).

Pheex, yeah i know what u mean about dragging the player window across monitors etc, but thats another story all toegether. With my scenario, there seems to be a hard 30fps or 30hz cap on the secondary monitor, thx to the primary monitor.....now bring on hdmi 2.0 so i can have my 60hz @ 4k and forget all this bs hehe.
06:34pm 05/11/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22369 posts
What if you go into media center setup and tell it that your main screen is the 120hz one? Might be a long shot but maybe windows is somehow picking up a setting you can't manually get to apart from the media center setup thing where it asks if you're currently seeing it displayed on your preferential display?
09:29pm 05/11/13 Permalink
Medawky
Sydney, New South Wales
7 posts
Although i hate media center, ill give it a go, just for the sake of it hehe.

Just had a go, not much luck. Different behaviour and different problems of its own, couldnt even move the mouse onto main screen, was treating the whole setup as one monitor. Terrible software as expected.
01:01am 06/11/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:01am 06/11/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.