The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Anybody Using a 7990?
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
274 posts
Wondering if anybody here uses a radeon 7990. Are they ok? Are the drivers ok?

My mates give me nothing but s*** about considering going to AMD.

I was considering getting one, but I will be switching from an nvidia 680. I had the choice to get another 680 and just sli, but they will only be 2gb of vram, I'm probably going to need more with a tri monitor setup.

And it will be far cheaper to get a 7990, as they are $650 and I can sell my 680.
12:16pm 28/10/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:16pm 28/10/13 Permalink
arkter
Gold Coast, Queensland
1551 posts
Wondering if anybody here uses a radeon 7990. Are they ok? Are the drivers ok?My mates give me nothing but s*** about considering going to AMD.I was considering getting one, but I will be switching from an nvidia 680. I had the choice to get another 680 and just sli, but they will only be 2gb of vram, I'm probably going to need more with a tri monitor setup.And it will be far cheaper to get a 7990, as they are $650 and I can sell my 680.

I am more than happy with my 7970, no complaints at all. Chewed through BF4 beta on max settings.
12:25pm 28/10/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18870 posts
Use ati cards for years now, never had a problem

Your mates are f*****s
12:41pm 28/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
1059 posts
Wondering if anybody here uses a radeon 7990. Are they ok? Are the drivers ok?My mates give me nothing but s*** about considering going to AMD.I was considering getting one, but I will be switching from an nvidia 680. I had the choice to get another 680 and just sli, but they will only be 2gb of vram, I'm probably going to need more with a tri monitor setup.And it will be far cheaper to get a 7990, as they are $650 and I can sell my 680.

It's been hit and miss with mine, though I think that was my own fault as I was trying to do some "unsupported" driver altering to make a dedicated Physx card (ie, running an Nvidia 9600GT as a dedicated physx card along side the AMD drivers)

In most games I've played, the card is F*****G INCREDIBLE. WELL worth the $679 I dropped on it. The biggest thing I've missed is physx, as I've come from a 580 and I played a bunch of Physx games. Borderlands 2 especially, I really enjoyed the extra eye-candy. But the solid 120fps (it's capped) is well worth the loss of physx.

I'm only running in 1080p atm, but I've heard that it's good in 3 monitor setups / high resolutions. The drivers (when not being f***ed around with) have seemed to be pretty good, with the exception of 13.11 v6, but that might have just been an artefact of the driver tweaking I was doing.

I've not had a single BSOD / Driver crash and games look absolutely amazing (though as mentioned, some dx9 games might look stuttery at low frame-rates due to not having the frame metering enabled yet), but they'll be fixing that soon enough). BF3 runs maxed out (8x AA) at 140fps average or so in full 64 player conquest large maps.

Fans can get a little loud, but generally I just drown out the sound with my speakers. They also run kind warm (I think I maxed out at 87c) but that's because I'm in a small-ass cabin that heats up like an oven.

::EDIT:: I forgot to mention, actually 3 monitor eyefinity (or whatever) support is coming in the next batch of drivers, along with DX9 support. So if you buy it now, it might look quite stuttery / choppy due to the frame latency issues. But if you can deal with that for a month or so, it'll serve you well once they have it sorted.
12:57pm 28/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
275 posts

Your mates are f*****s

They can be very biased
01:02pm 28/10/13 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
266 posts
spend the extra $50 and get the R9 290X.
01:38pm 28/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
276 posts
I know the 290x is 4gb but I'd have to crossfire it to get the same sort of frame power that the 7990 provides, wouldn't I?
02:02pm 28/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
470 posts
You're right in saying not to SLI the 2GB 680.

2x 290's will beat a 7990 hands down, but a 7990 is faster than a single 290.

You're probably on the right track if you want a 'single card' solution. Nothing else for that price that takes up a single slot can beat the 'value'.
02:07pm 28/10/13 Permalink
$ack
Brisbane, Queensland
1523 posts
Using a 7970 on 2560 x 1440 res. Smashes battlefield nicely but gets screen tearing when scrolling in firefox / pages (even when forcing Vsync on).

Machine is only turned on for Battlefield so suits me fine.
02:11pm 28/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1063 posts
You're right in saying not to SLI the 2GB 680.2x 290's will beat a 7990 hands down, but a 7990 is faster than a single 290.You're probably on the right track if you want a 'single card' solution. Nothing else for that price that takes up a single slot can beat the 'value'.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case.

Single card, it's well worth the sweet-bugger-all it costs for a 7990. 290x's aren't possible without dropping $1600 or so. The 7990 is basically 2x 7970's, so I think it's pretty much the best bang-for-buck you're going to get until the next generation of gfx cards.

But again, bear in mind that you might have issues with 3x monitors until they bring out the frame rating driver fix for it (expected to be pretty soon though).

Worst case, I'd suggest sticking to single monitor gaming for a little while, until the driver fix comes out.

For anyone else on a single monitor (up to I think 1600p) though, this is hands down the best buy you can make currently imo.
06:01pm 28/10/13 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2166 posts
Single card, it's well worth the sweet-bugger-all it costs for a 7990. 290x's aren't possible without dropping $1600 or so. The 7990 is basically 2x 7970's, so I think it's pretty much the best bang-for-buck you're going to get until the next generation of gfx cards.

when is next gen due??
06:24pm 28/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1065 posts
when is next gen due??

20nm GPU's are expected sometime in 2014. That's pretty much all that's been released about it atm I think.
06:36pm 28/10/13 Permalink
Zoixy
Queensland
15 posts

Check out the forums @ http://forums.guru3d.com/ (Even have a 3DFX club)

There is more information about video cards there. The Benchmark tests, beta drivers, people comparing drivers and cards and all that jazz.

Other than that, I have a 6990, crossfire card. Had stutter issues and catalyst control centre was a piece of crap. But now things seem to be working fine.

I did however have a problem running an nvidia and amd card at the same time, using the 6990 for graphics and the nvidia card for physx for planetside 2. Worked ok for 2 days then didn't switch on any more.

I would buy an AMD video card again, however I would prefer Nvidia for more options and compatibility. Amd if more than one screen.
07:10pm 28/10/13 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
267 posts
If you just want something now that has excellent performance, go 7990. But personally, I'd get the 290x so as when Ultra HD 4k resolution becomes commercially mainstream I won't be hit with the cost of a new gfx card and the monitor, although I'm not exactly sure how the 7990 performs at 4k.
07:18pm 28/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1067 posts
If you just want something now that has excellent performance, go 7990. But personally, I'd get the 290x so as when Ultra HD 4k resolution becomes commercially mainstream I won't be hit with the cost of a new gfx card and the monitor, although I'm not exactly sure how the 7990 performs at 4k.

It'll be fine at 4k. Has 1GB less ram, but it's still going to do better than a single 290x.
07:22pm 28/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21194 posts
I figure by the time 4k is something that anyone but the cutting edge elite will care about, we'll be a few generations down the road as far as graphics hardware goes. Unless you're planning on using 4k right now, I wouldn't bother about trying to futureproof for it. By the time its a common thing, you'll be able to buy a budget card a few generations down the line that will most likely s*** on what you could get now.
07:39pm 28/10/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:39pm 28/10/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.