The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Rebuilding the love of gaming
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Hi, new to the site so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Firstly - a little background,

I was into hardcore gaming many a year ago and was sporting what was a custom made high end gaming pc at the time. But over the years the amount of time I've had for gaming and my pc had slimmed down till nil, until now.
So, I'm now looking to get back into the swing of it - but as many of you may know - you can fall behind in the latest tech gear and specs if your out of the game for as little as a week, and as I'm sure you'll notice, I've been out for a few minutes longer than a week.
The most unfortunate thing for me in this instance is that the last fond memory I have of my much loved and prized possession was a little brother attempting to play computer geek and over clock my PC while I wasn't home, resulting in a fried motherboard.

This is where I need a little help.
After what research I've done, I'd believe this is a some what decent gaming build (but I still have no idea), so before I start placing bids on eBay I'd like a little feedback and some suggestions where possible.

So far I plan on buying;
Asus P9x79 ATX
Intel i7-4820k 3.7GHz
4x2GB 1600MHz DDR3
Asus GeForce gtx 660???
700w Thermaltake PSU

I also plan on using my old HDD, which runs at 10,000rpm.

That's in advance for all responses
:)
05:14pm 14/10/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:14pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
21179 posts
First suggestion I'd make is don't get one off ebay, get it from somewhere local so if/when theres a problem you can easily return it or get it fixed. Doubt there'd even really end up being much of a price difference.

When I lived in melbourne, I got all my stuff from CPL and they were pretty good, easy to get to as well (well, assuming you live relatively close to the CBD)

http://www.cplonline.com.au/

Looks like Umart has a store now at Mt Waverly too

http://www.umart.com.au
05:23pm 14/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
247 posts
I can never win in these threads because my standards are too high. What's your budget?

Edit: There is also pccasegear as well for built systems in Aus.
05:23pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
My budget is $2000, but will go to $2500
05:26pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Jabroney
Queensland
1405 posts
so your budget is $2500
05:37pm 14/10/13 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Other International
201 posts
i too use CPL but they are not a place to go for advice - they are almost a "wholesaler to the public".

CPL want you to come in with a list of parts to order that you have pre decided on. They are not there to answer questions. But that is why they have such good prices i guess.

For me id not just order the parts from them id also get them to build it and install the OS. For 50 bucks it means if anything goes wrong then its on their end to fix it and make it right.

I had problems with them once where they built my PC from my ordered parts and the only thing i didnt decide on was power supply because the guy taking my order was like "yeah get this power supply it will work fine". When i picked up the PC and took it home it kept rebooting randomly. Took it back in and they were almost dismissive because they had "tested all their builds before release".

Long story short after about 3 visits, over a week, leaving the PC with them to "look at" (BS they did nothing even at one point saying it was my windows screensaver that was causing the reboots - and i dont use screen saver) and taking it home for it to not work and have to take it back in again. That kind of frustrating run around. Tthey eventually found the power supply (after i specifically said "im pretty sure its the power supply p[lease test that") was not enuf watts. Sigh. Then I had to f*** around with the manager that wouldn't let me swap the power supply for a better one until i leaned across the counter and actually pointed straight at the sales guy who told me what power supply to get and said "he said to put that power supply in there so he has the responsibility".

The manager was like he had eaten a box of lemons when he allowed the exchange. But since the better power supply this PC has not randomly rebooted once in 3 years.

So yeah cheap prices but terrible customer service. I still buy there. Now i dont ask questions i just say "sell me that".
05:37pm 14/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
248 posts
ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard $305.00
Intel Core i7 4770K - $389.00
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB - $799.00
G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 - $205.00
Silverstone Strider 850W Gold Evolution ST85F-G-E - $225.00

Sub-Total: $1923.00

That was priced at pccasegear.com - still need case and peripherals. New screen? 120Hz?

If you want to run on air, I'd suggest a Noctua NH-D14. Bout as good as it gets on air.

The CPU is unlocked and you can get them to a safe 4.4 - 4.5 on air. The mobo is a good clocking board as well and very stable for clocking up.

The 780 is there as it's about what your money can afford, and later you can add a second to almost double visual performance. If you have the extra money and understand overclocking, get a Classified 780GTX.

Alternative to this would be AMD R9 '290' cards or whatever they are, and also changing to the socket 2011, which gives you the 4820K, an unlocked Quad core with HT like the 4770K, but with Quad channel memory instead of dual channel. I believe they also run the full 40 PCI lanes so you get the best performance out of multicard setups.

Even further is the 4930K, a 6 core with HT, also unlocked, but that's almost a $600 chip alone.

I would recommend an SSD drive as well, at least 120GB for system + a game or two, or get 2 and throw them in RAID 0 for high performance storage. You won't go back to platter for system drives once you use one of these for a while.

Was that too much info? If so, this thing will run good games, fast
05:50pm 14/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
1015 posts
Quick bit of input:

Currently, an i5 3570k / 2500 will be more than enough for any games out at the moment. The i7 -might- help a bit with future console ports and if you do lots of rendering etc, but currently it's overkill and you can shave off a few hundred with that alone imo.

Second, I'd suggest waiting on the 290x cards. From what I've seen, they're looking to be coming out at around $800 (780 prices) and are reckoned to be faster by a decent enough amount. Worst case, current grapevine is that nvidia prices should drop soonish as well.

Thirdly, if you're happy to try Crossfire, try find a 7990! There are a few amazing deals out on them atm ($679!) and they're currently the fastest single card solution you can get. Few issues with Xfire, but AMD seem to be getting their s*** sorted. Most of the issues have been fixed for single monitor setups / the rest of the fixes should be coming end of the month.

That card will support mantle, making it an even better investment for the future imo. (Though make sure you bump up to a 750w PSU to be safe).

Fourthly, Just split the RAM into 2x 4gb sticks imo. Most kits come like that these days, plus it'll leave room for expansion should you find yourself needing more.

Fifthly, Grab a 2tb 5400 / 7200 RPM hdd and slap that in. Keep movies / music on it. Doesn't need to be super fast, it's just something for low-speed things like documents and music. You'll be thanking yourself eventually.

::EDIT:: If you're not fussed on pre-built, here are two systems that are pretty nice:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411_1553&products_id=25229 - 780 system - $2299

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1411_1553&products_id=24905 - 770 system - $1700
06:09pm 14/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
249 posts
^ The first system is good, but I'd upgrade the 4670K to the 4770K as surprisingly enough, the 4670K doesn't have Hyper Threading.

Now back in the day, people could argue you didn't need it. But in the BF4 Beta, all 12 cores over here are getting action, none are parked, and yes 6 are HT cores. A friends 4670K (only 4 cores) is almost capped out on BF3, and is already the ultimate bottleneck in his system, which has a GTX 770.

Jea.
06:21pm 14/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1016 posts
^ The first system is good, but I'd upgrade the 4670K to the 4770K as surprisingly enough, the 4670K doesn't have Hyper Threading.Now back in the day, people could argue you didn't need it. But in the BF4 Beta, all 12 cores over here are getting action, none are parked, and yes 6 are HT cores. A friends 4670K (only 4 cores) is almost capped out on BF3, and is already the ultimate bottleneck in his system, which has a GTX 770.Jea.

Worst case, you can get PCCG to build a custom system for $100 building fee.

I've got an i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz and I've not had any issues with BF4 beta so far. Come launch when it's actually optimized, I doubt it will be an issue. Will the extra threads be used? Sure. Will it matter much compared to an i5? Probably not.

As I said, it was just a recommendation if he wanted to drop a few hundred off his build price. But even with his budget, it's not much of a big issue.

I stand by my 7990 comment though. Well worth looking into, PCCG themselves still have one up for $679 iirc.
06:36pm 14/10/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3307 posts
I also plan on using my old HDD, which runs at 10,000rpm.
You need to get an SSD, they are so fast they don't even have an rpm (and quiet).

Get a Samsung or Crucial, they don't have much advantage for large files so stick with ye olden platter drives for storage but put all your applications and your OS on the SSD and you will get much faster load times. Games will only see a marginal improvement so you can keep them on the older drive if you want to keep costs down with a smaller SSD.
06:41pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
I like the first prebuilt, and once an optical drive has been added seems to be right in my price range.

I'll have a look into benchmark tests for the 7990 as well a i5 3570k vs. 4770k test.
06:45pm 14/10/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
20672 posts
First suggestion I'd make is don't get one off ebay, get it from somewhere local so if/when theres a problem you can easily return it or get it fixed.

best advice
07:39pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
3101 posts
I would love a new PC that didn't cost $4k (like Alienware) where the vendor/merchant would repair it onsite if something went wrong - quickly too.

I've just lost all patience to deal with HW issues myself and have to f*** around replacing parts.

Does such a place exist?
07:49pm 14/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1017 posts
I would love a new PC that didn't cost $4k (like Alienware) where the vendor/merchant would repair it onsite if something went wrong - quickly too.

I've just lost all patience to deal with HW issues myself and have to f*** around replacing parts.

Does such a place exist?

PCCG do pretty nicely priced rigs, as I've mentioned. They're in Victoria, though. So they won't be showing up to fix s*** on-site.

I like the first prebuilt, and once an optical drive has been added seems to be right in my price range.I'll have a look into benchmark tests for the 7990 as well a i5 3570k vs. 4770k test.

You can pick up a cheapo from them and they might even install it if you ask nicely for no extra charge :P They're pretty awesome guys, always gone out of their way to help me in the past.

The reviews of the 7990 will all mention "micro stutter" which is one of the big issues I mentioned it had, but they've put out driver fixes for it and it should be completely dealt with come the end of the month with their next driver (but if you're playing DX10/11 games in 1600p or lower res, it'll work perfectly now. DX9 / multi-monitors are being fixed next driver but the games will still PLAY. They might just feel stuttery).

Also, as ph33x said, an i7 WILL be used in future games (since the consoles have like 8 core CPU's in them now) but I don't think the difference will be that big a deal to make the extra few hundred worth it.

Oh, and also, even if you skip on the 7990, I would suggest a 7xxx series or 290X (coming this month 'at some point') because mantle should be a pretty nice frame-rate boost and it seems that it will be a big thing come next gen. Already got some big name studios using it in their upcoming AAA titles. Also, since the consoles are all AMD, it makes sense that the ports should be far more optimized for AMD graphics cards imo.
08:09pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14437 posts
I highly recommend getting a CPU that is unlocked and able to be OC'd, as later in your PC's life when your CPU is getting tired, you can punch it up a few notches to get some more life out of it (with after market cooling of course). This has helped me a fair bit.

HT is a must, no gamer should be without it, particularly with the new gen consoles coming out.

SSD for your primary/system drive, you won't go back, 128gig min.

08:54pm 14/10/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
23515 posts
I can't figure out what HT is.
08:55pm 14/10/13 Permalink
TDog
Brisbane, Queensland
151 posts
Hyperthreading. For once a topic he doesn't know about.
09:11pm 14/10/13 Permalink
baz
Victoria
77 posts
Razor mouse mat.
Never had a problem with mine.
09:19pm 14/10/13 Permalink
d0mino
Melbourne, Victoria
5353 posts
Have you considered hanging out for a steam box or one of the other new consoles like the ps4 or xbone? For 2.5k you could get a console, tv and possibly even a nice chair and not have to worry about staying up with the tech specs for a good long while.
09:26pm 14/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1018 posts
Have you considered hanging out for a steam box or one of the other new consoles like the ps4 or xbone? For 2.5k you could get a console, tv and possibly even a nice chair and not have to worry about staying up with the tech specs for a good long while.

Or he could buy an amazing computer, a godly chair and still not have to worry about staying up to date with tech specs for a good long while :P

I'm pretty sure 780's / 7990's / 290X's are cards that will see this generation through to the end (esp with mantle), unless something drastic happens. I mean, hell. My 580 is 3 years old and still maxes out most games with relative ease. Only reason I'm upgrading is because I intend to pick up a 120hz monitor.
09:33pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
4 posts

I have an Xbox and a tv and I don't like the way they always feel 'limited'.
You can never get the same feel and freedom as you do with a PC.
09:36pm 14/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
5 posts
Just for curiosity I found the specs of my old PC

Processor E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory 2x 1 GB Patriot @ 800mhz (DDR2) W/ heat spreaders
Hard Drive 75 GB Raptor @ 10,000rpm
Motherboard nForce 650i Ultra
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce xFx 8800 GTX @ 630/1000
Physics Card No
Monitor Dual 19' WS @ 1440x900
Sound Card Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Mouse Razer Diamondback @ 1800dpi
Mouse Surface Mouse Pad
Computer Case Thermaltake Soprano W/ clear window
09:45pm 14/10/13 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Other International
205 posts
nice mouse i have one the same but u are also going to need a better monitor

1920x1080 23 inch at 120hz min
10:22pm 14/10/13 Permalink
WirlWind
1021 posts
PCCG just came out with another prebuilt that's pretty sexy, but more expensive:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25388 - 4770k - crossfire 280X's, bright red case, liquid cooled processor (and it even comes with an optical drive :P) - $2399

For a rough equivalence, the 280X in Xfire is probably about the same as a 7990 in performance.
05:25pm 15/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
269 posts
I'd like to see FCAT results on the 280 CF setup before I'll recommend it to people.
06:06pm 15/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
271 posts
I have an Xbox and a tv and I don't like the way they always feel 'limited'. You can never get the same feel and freedom as you do with a PC.

I can tell you kinda took up console gaming for a few years there? Xbox came out during the 8800GTX series, from memory.

If so, good to see ya come back. I have the same feels for consoles. Our PS3 is a media player.

As rules said, you'll need a 1080 screen to lever the full power of your system. 2x AMD 280's will run at like 30% usage on a screen as small as the one you have now. If you aren't interested in trying out 120Hz refresh rates, then I'd go for an IPS 1920x1200 panel, or even larger.
06:22pm 15/10/13 Permalink
nings
Gold Coast, Queensland
38 posts
I had the same thermaltake case, it was a bit hot but looked nice, I had 8800GTS 640mb cards in sli, good times.
Have fun with the new build.
06:46pm 15/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
6 posts
PCCG just came out with another prebuilt that's pretty sexy, but more expensive:http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25388 - 4770k - crossfire 280X's, bright red case, liquid cooled processor (and it even comes with an optical drive :P) - $2399For a rough equivalence, the 280X in Xfire is probably about the same as a 7990 in performance.

To my eye it just looks like its an extra $100 for the upgraded CPU and an optical drive, which sounds like a winner to me 👍
Plus, I think PCCG have discontinued the previous listed builds.

I can tell you kinda took up console gaming for a few years there? Xbox came out during the 8800GTX series, from memory.If so, good to see ya come back. I have the same feels for consoles. Our PS3 is a media player..

It's good to have the time again, oh how I've missed it
07:58pm 15/10/13 Permalink
Wayno
Melbourne, Victoria
7 posts
nice mouse i have one the same but u are also going to need a better monitor1920x1080 23 inch at 120hz min
as rules said, you'll need a 1080 screen to lever the full power of your system. .

I've decided on the 4770k, 280x xfire prebuilt,

I've also read into the 120+MHz refresh rates (which never existed when I was gaming) and have decided on this monitor also from PCCG
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1210&products_id=23866
04:36pm 16/10/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5886 posts
this case will fit everything you want in it!

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/phenom-micro-atx/
04:39pm 16/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
285 posts
You'll love 120hz. Even in windows, you'll instantly see the difference.
04:42pm 16/10/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5887 posts
I've decided on the 4770k, 280x xfire prebuilt,I've also read into the 120+MHz refresh rates (which never existed when I was gaming) and have decided on this monitor also from PCCG http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1210&products_id=23866

When you get the monitor please give me a quick review on it as i also been keen on this monitor. I've been running Dell 27" IPS for about 6 years still runs great but only does 60hz
04:45pm 16/10/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:45pm 16/10/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.