Our very first hands-on with Cyberpunk 2077 -- can this game truly live up to the hype? Read on for our full thoughts...
Cyberpunk 2077 Hands-On - A Life More Complicated
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
As the latest LG OLED, the CX presents a high-end display that takes OLED technology forward in meaningful ways.
LG CX 65-inch 4K OLED - A Stunning Next-Gen Ready Display
Graphic/Printer PC build help!
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
592 posts
So here's the situation:

My current (6 year old Dell) is on its last legs, so I'm trying to figure out the best solution. The kicker is this PC needs to run Windows XP either 32/64bit. The reason being that the print machines we run are quite old but built to last, we have no need to upgrade them and they work perfectly only issue is the manufacturer has discontinued support for their software years ago, so I can't upgrade to windows 7 or higher (I'm even a bit worried about trying to run the drivers on 64bit XP).

So I'm looking for a good build with a good Intel CPU (don't know if i7 works with XP), about 4-8gig of ram and basic graphics card, 1 TB probably Seagate HDD.

All in all I'm not sure on the specifics or what issues I could run into with new hardware running Windows XP, so please suggest away!
09:49am 20/09/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:49am 20/09/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8058 posts
Just get an optiplex
10:15am 20/09/13 Permalink
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
593 posts
Yeahhhh comes with windows 8, downgrade to windows XP without drivers won't end well.
10:26am 20/09/13 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
8059 posts
You can easily get them with 7, I don't think XP would be an issue
10:39am 20/09/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5844 posts
have you tested it with windows 7 and putting it on windows xp mode? The company i look after does prototyping/printing/milling and they use old software that works only with windows xp but with a bit of play with the settings got it to work better on windows 7(x64) then it ever did on windows xp
11:22am 20/09/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2463 posts
It's just going to depend on whether or not your mobo had drivers to support XP. I recenently did an i5 system for XP and it drivers where not an issue.
I would even suggest banging an SSD in there for the OS.
The Mobo I used was an Asus P8B75M. But there are heaps of them out there that support XP.(still)
11:45am 20/09/13 Permalink
Sip
Brisbane, Queensland
594 posts
have you tested it with windows 7 and putting it on windows xp mode? The company i look after does prototyping/printing/milling and they use old software that works only with windows xp but with a bit of play with the settings got it to work better on windows 7(x64) then it ever did on windows xp

Yeah I've tried it on a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Tried to search for devices nothing comes up, tried to install from provided drivers and still seen as an unrecognised device. So that's as far as I could go.

It's just going to depend on whether or not your mobo had drivers to support XP. I recenently did an i5 system for XP and it drivers where not an issue.
I would even suggest banging an SSD in there for the OS.
The Mobo I used was an Asus P8B75M. But there are heaps of them out there that support XP.(still)

Cheers Dodgymon, I'll check out the parts on umart :-)
01:49pm 20/09/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22174 posts
some sort of dedicated print server?

I bought an ethernet to centronics print server for my old HP printer when PC's stopped coming with parallel ports.

About a month later the printer died :(
lol.
05:38pm 20/09/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10134 posts
some sort of dedicated print server?

this
03:14pm 21/09/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5854 posts
As JMR said Optiplex with pro support
07:23pm 21/09/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5855 posts
So what sort of printer driver is it? Can you run a vm on the local machine with XP?
07:25pm 21/09/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1634 posts
Sip, TiT was talking about a 'virtual xp' option for Windows 7. It essentially runs XP as a VM within windows 7. (so in theory at least, you'll get full compatibility* with your 'legacy printer' but can run W7.)
* I've not played with it, but my brother has a engraving machine in his workshop which runs it quite successfully, I might suggest testing it.

Install and use Windows xp mode in Windows 7

Alternative link which appears to include download links
08:56pm 21/09/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
249 posts
Yeah, we've also used the virtual XP option to get old software working (that interfaces to some hardware over serial).
11:09pm 22/09/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:09pm 22/09/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.