The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Time to upgrade - Recommend me a new Phone
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
568 posts
Right, so i've had an iPhone 4 now for ages and although it's been a great bit of gear, it's starting to get a bit bugged out and i'm keen for an upgrade.

Now before anyone flames the iPhone, this thing has been a great phone and i've used it how i wanted to use it, ie it's jailbroken and i don't have to use itunes ever for anything. It runs what i tell it to run, and apple can fk right off. So i've been more than happy with it tbh.

Thinking about going Android, but i've had 2 android devices now and both of them really failed to impress me. Both could have been hardware related, as they weren't real hi end, but it really s***ted me a lot the amount of stopped responding, waiting, lag etc i got using it. I also thought the Play store was the biggest load of rubbish too, with so much s*** in there it wasn't funny. I found the apple app store to much more highly moderated when it came to apps. (not always a good thing though hey... Cydia is living proof of that)

Anyways, i'd appreciate your thoughts. Was thinking about going the S4, but i'm keen to hear some suggestions and pro's and cons if your happy to share them. I'd be keen on the iPhone 5, but kinda over having to Jailbreak to get the most out of a phone. That being said, my collection of apps wouldn't go to waste either.

Let me know what you reckon....
11:30am 02/08/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:30am 02/08/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1994 posts
SGS3 or 4. Both are solid. I prefer the 3 because it's slimmer and the 4 isn't a huge upgrade.

Can't go wrong with either really. Screens are big, heaps of apps, comfortable to use. Great batt life. Easy to root.
11:32am 02/08/13 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2410 posts
HTC one.
11:34am 02/08/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4096 posts
i'm rocking a sony xperia s atm, and a mates got the Z, and he loves it hugely (mine is now a little last season, but in the UK would easily get a full (4 am to 10pm) days use with all but the gps on and a little light web radio streaming) the Z has the bonus of being able to cope with a little water and dust

the big downside with the iphone 5 is the battery, it is shocking to say the least...well, shocking if you have to use the phone for more than the odd game having the internet on will have you charging it mid afternoon other than being an apple product tho, it isn't a bad phone,
12:13pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1433 posts
Love my SGS4, can't fault it
01:38pm 02/08/13 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2630 posts
I liked my SGS3 untill it became a year old and started doing freaky s*** (battery drain, wouldn't turn on properly, random restarts and restart loops), at first i thought it was because of the custom rom i had running then my wifes phone started doing the same thing, both the same age and 2 days out of warranty when it started happening.

Replaced it with a Nexus 4 and am so far extremely happy.
01:41pm 02/08/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5752 posts
Yeah lots of people are loving the Samsung Galaxy 4. I have iPhone 5 and love it. So fast and it works dam fine. Also running iOS7 Beta on it right now and really enjoying the changes
01:44pm 02/08/13 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
1792 posts
I have a nexus 4 and it is pretty rockin. bought it in america and now i'm in canada and it works flawlessly and hasn't skipped a beat. i was using a 3 year old HTC desire though, so maybe i'm just in the 'new phone' honeymoon period
01:47pm 02/08/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4099 posts
I liked my SGS3 untill it became a year old and started doing freaky s*** (battery drain, wouldn't turn on properly, random restarts and restart loops), at first i thought it was because of the custom rom i had running then my wifes phone started doing the same thing, both the same age and 2 days out of warranty when it started happening. Replaced it with a Nexus 4 and am so far extremely happy.

er, doesnt the samsung have a 2 year warranty?
01:51pm 02/08/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
20250 posts
I am running Nokia 920. Windows Phone has a major update coming out this month: Amber. Love my Nokia.
02:08pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9763 posts
I am running Nokia 920. Windows Phone has a major update coming out this month: Amber. Love my Nokia.

I hate mine, but that might be just because I'm on 900 and as such am locked out of apps because no one makes any for 7.5/7.8 anymore. Grabbing Nexus 4 when I get my tax back, the tech similarities between it and the Samsung Galaxy S3 are pretty close but the price wins out.
02:25pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Zapo
Brisbane, Queensland
2992 posts
If you're buying it outright then get a Nexus 4. I've had one since launch and have been incredibly impressed with it, especially given the price.
02:44pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1434 posts
er, doesnt the samsung have a 2 year warranty?

Thats what I was going to say.... Sammy phones have 2 years warranty dude, get that s*** fixed for free
03:38pm 02/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
569 posts
Just had a look at a mates S4. Classy bit of gear and sounds like a winner. Think i'll def give the iPhones a miss. Battery life is woeful from what i'm told...
05:30pm 02/08/13 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1170 posts
Nexus 4 is best value for money
SGS4 is best phone if you're loaded
05:54pm 02/08/13 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
1171 posts
iPhones are for old women who need the term "texting" explained to them
06:08pm 02/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
570 posts
Righto Spook and X, thanks for the constructive feedback... troll on tards....

As for the rest of you, thanks for your help. Seems most people are happy to post something worth reading...
07:25pm 02/08/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8693 posts
Got an SGS4 and it's awesome, go for it or an S3.
07:26pm 02/08/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10477 posts
SG4, HTC ONE, Xperia Z.
07:32pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
845 posts
iPhone 5S comes out in October go for that
08:54pm 02/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
572 posts
What s**** me... I'm stuck cause i live remote and the only carrier here is Telstra... So i own my phone outright and i'm on a BYO plan with unlimited texts and unlimited calls.

Jump on the telstra site, S4, XL plan, 24 months, f*****g cheaper than the BYO plan with the same unlimited calls/texts... fks sake.
09:13pm 02/08/13 Permalink
eski
Perth, Western Australia
1736 posts
htc one if you want to use it for media/gaming. The speakers/screen/mic on that thing are awesome. IT also takes great photos in low light.

sgs4 if you want to take photos outside or hook into other samsung devices.

nexus 4 if money is an issue.
10:11pm 02/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
573 posts
Thanks Jerry that's a pretty much the advice i'm looking for. Think i'm going to go the S4. From everything i've read so far it seems to be the most suitable.

Definitely think my original xp with android is as you say, a mixture of hardware and older versions. I talked to my mate with the S4 and he reckons it's rock solid as.
10:42pm 02/08/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2450 posts
the best thing about the S3 or S4 is you can replace the standard battery with an extended battery. I have a 4300mha battery in my s3 and it eassily lasts over 48 hours with normal use.

my best record was 53 hours before it died.

http://www.amazon.com/warranty-ZeroLemon-Extended-Protection-Compatible/dp/B00AKZWGAC
You can even get these other new ones that are around 7000mha that hardly make the phone that much thicker. Pretty keen on one of these. Not sure if it works for a S4
04:31am 03/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
574 posts
Thats the go. I have to charge my 4 every night, and if i'm using it heavy it'll need charging during the day as well.
07:31am 03/08/13 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3598 posts
S3 here, had it for a year running Cyanogen mod, great phone. If I had to get a replacement now I'd be choosing between the HTC One (great build quality, front facing speakers are a good idea, pity about the non removable battery and non expandable memory), the Xperia Z for dust/water resistance and better coverage (I've seen an Xperia Z beat the hell out of my S3 in remote areas), or the S4, which I gather is like my S3 but a bit better all-around.

Iphone? No way. Maybe the new one will offer something interesting, but I doubt it. I'm sure it will look and feel nice, though.
07:28pm 03/08/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
4020 posts
If you travel oversea's a bit another thing to consider is the warranty.

The older xperia s came with an international warranty card in the box. Not sure if the new ones do. Htc are pretty good on that widening my experience, but I think I saw a thread kn here with someone having grief with samsung?
07:38pm 03/08/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1578 posts
Not lookin to Troll RE:Apple vs Others, just my 2c.

iF** chiming in.
I'm using a 4S atm and am keeping an eye out for the 5S when it lands. I'm fond of the hardware platforms stability and reliability.
If the 5S doesn't really add anything 'new' to the form factor I'll consider my alternatives, but in my case I don't see me moving away from Apple immediately.

Housemate barracks for the Android side of the fence and aside from his own tinkering issues (beta driver problems, uber fresh builds of the OS etc etc) he's loving his HTC One atm.

The one thing that really stood out for me about the HTC One is its build quality. The fit and finish of the unit is pretty damn good. My only paranoia about owning one is the metal backing feels very thin (and I think would be prone to denting should it see a 'rough life') As my house mate put it, 'It's apple build quality, meeting Androids flexibility'.
He's only had it for about 2 months now and hasn't (touch wood) had any issues with it so is happily soldiering on.

My other observations about the One are if you're looking to buy a phone case. There are very few on the market, and even less worth writing about as far as construction quality of cases goes (he's just sourced a well made leather one from o/s, but it was a tedious activity as places like Amazon for example won't ship phone cases for some bizarre reason)

I've heard mixed things about the S4, but it would seem to me that it's the preferred option if you're fond of 'moving parts' (ie removable memory card, batteries etc etc).

If you're switching from a 4, go into a shop and have a look at these phone models in the flesh. Pretty much all of the Android based phones are massive compared to the Apple's. They're usually thinner to offset that but moving from an iPhone 4 to either the Galaxy or One is going to be a change.

My house mate bought his One outright, they seem a lot more practically priced than the Apple side of things so if you're looking to dodge a contract consider that option too.
12:38pm 04/08/13 Permalink
d^
Melbourne, Victoria
1330 posts
S2 through to S4, all solid phones.
03:15pm 04/08/13 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
7275 posts
Nexus 4 represent.

Solid phone. Great value for money. Sleek aesthetic design. Goes toe to toe with the heavy hitters with the added advantage of having a pure android experience and one of the first phones to get the OTA update to 4.3. Pretty much got my family on it and they're loving it.
04:03pm 04/08/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1502 posts
HTC One, you will not regret it the best smartphone on the market at the moment.
04:41pm 04/08/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4699 posts
People suggesting the HTC One. Do you own it? If so, for how long?
06:20pm 04/08/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
3024 posts
Not going to bother arguing between the S4 or HTC one. But if you do get the S4, you might as well get the S4 Active. Essentially the same phone but with a more robust shell (waterproof). It should be coming to carriers soon or you can buy online.
06:32pm 04/08/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8701 posts
S4 also has a pedometer, it's kinda cool to see how much incidental walking/exercise you do.
07:53pm 04/08/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
2137 posts
I'm also looking at a new phone, had an iPhone 4 for forver.

My biggest issue is size, I don't really want a fablet.. the S4 is too big imo. I'd prefer something around the iPhone's size but still awesome and new.

Looks like it might be the Nexus 4? (Or the iPhone5 but I've kind of gone off Apple).
03:59am 05/08/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2823 posts
Have you considered the HTC One Mini?

It's basically the same size as the iPhone 5 with an extra third of an inch of screen over it. Specs aren't as good as the normal HTC One though.

If you're happy to go a bit bigger, though, I think you'd probably get a much better experience from the Nexus 4, and for a much cheaper price.
06:19am 05/08/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1504 posts
People suggesting the HTC One. Do you own it? If so, for how long?

I've had mine now for about 3 months, I do not regret the decision I thought long and hard between the One and SG4 I looked at several reviews between the two and both were equal, both have their slight differences. End of the day I chose the One because I felt SG4 features were a bit 'gimmicky' being able to wave your hand to change photos etc and I do not like the plastic back it just feels cheap.

I haven't had an issue with the HTC One it does everything I want it to do and I am very happy with it, my Wife will also switch from Apple to HTC One when her contract ends in October.
06:35am 05/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
575 posts
I read a few reviews saying the HTC One camera was a bit rubbish? I use the camera on the ip4 all the time and it's horrendously s***.

Really want a phone that takes good pics. Heard the S4 goes alright but rubbish in low light?
08:46am 05/08/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1505 posts
Yeah SG4 is better, the One camera is better in low light, HTC chose to run a 4mb Ultra pixel camera
09:15am 05/08/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18537 posts
My biggest issue is size, I don't really want a fablet.. the S4 is too big imo. I'd prefer something around the iPhone's size but still awesome and new.

i was sceptical when i upgraded from my nokia n8 to a S3 about the size of the phone

but f*** me after using my s3 for 6 months i always lol inside when my missus tries to show me something on her iphone 5, it is so small - you will come to appreciate the size after you use it for a while
09:26am 05/08/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1436 posts
Just as an extra +1 for the newer droid devices missing flash support. There is an app on the play store now called aView its a port of ABC iView and works a treat. Seeing as how ABC has been so f*****g slow to port their app to HTML5 someone saved them the job.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.aview.app
10:15am 05/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
576 posts
Ended up going the S4. Mate's got the HTC one, looked pretty good, but what ended up selling me on the S4 was the expandable memory. I find the 32 of my iphone to be a pain and runs out too quick once you start loading tunes on it...
10:34am 05/08/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1437 posts
Nice choice, I love my s4, best phone I've ever had.....Telstra 4G is pretty good.
11:12am 05/08/13 Permalink
Mosfx
Gold Coast, Queensland
1506 posts
i was sceptical when i upgraded from my nokia n8 to a S3 about the size of the phonebut f*** me after using my s3 for 6 months i always lol inside when my missus tries to show me something on her iphone 5, it is so small - you will come to appreciate the size after you use it for a while

Yeah my missues shows me stuff on her iPhone 4 and it feels likes a kids phone it's so small lol
06:40pm 05/08/13 Permalink
MARLINBLADE
Queensland
577 posts
Fark i'm off the apple s*** now. Updated Foxtel Go, won't work on a jailbroken device... like WTF FU f***heads what the hell does it matter....

Arrr, over it now, i'll be updating to the latest firmware and sending the POS to my sister... she can have it. Sick of not being able to do what i want on my own f*****g phone.
07:40pm 05/08/13 Permalink
Viper119
UK
2138 posts
The HTC One Mini does look pretty sweet, seems to be better spec'd then the S4 Mini also. Might be a goer!
08:05pm 05/08/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6398 posts

I run the 820, i rate it.
08:30pm 05/08/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:30pm 05/08/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.