The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Intel Haswell Reviews Filter In
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9331 posts
So the review embargos are being lifted for Intel's latest CPU range, titled Haswell. The CPUs that have been reviewed so far for the "4th" Gen are the i5-4670K, i7-4770K and i7-4950HQ. Interesting enough the big consensus is that the leap in power isn't that great compared to the previous Ivy Bridge CPUs, only offering a 5-15% change. Though obviously it is still going forward, it looks like an upgrade won't be needed anytime in the near future.

I think what we may find with the Haswell is that people looking to have the top-of-the-line performance will grab a Haswell, however those upgrading from say Sandy Bridge or even building a new computer will probably stick to the Ivy Bridge i5's or i7's. These still offer a good bang for buck and will most likely hit a price drop when Haswell come out.

PC Perspective - Intel Core i7-4770K

AnandTech - i5-4670K and i7-4770K

AnandTech - Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics on i7-4950HQ

Tom's Hardware - i7-4770K

http://i.imgur.com/wVFAmMo.png?1
07:23pm 02/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:23pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Jabroney
Queensland
1395 posts
the big deal isn't the power though, its the decrease in battery/power usage

primarily looking at laptops/tablet these can idle on one charge for 10 days apparently
07:57pm 02/06/13 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
7582 posts
The power saving tech is great for portables obviously.

However see what happened when AMD stopped being serious competition? Just micro-iterations to the Intel desktop chips. Despite the fact that I generally like Intel's products (they have exceptionally good QA), monopolies are definitely bad in any industry.

Here's hoping ARM (or ARM licensees) try to break into the desktop/server market to rebalance things. EDIT: looks like they are.
08:39pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9332 posts
the big deal isn't the power though, its the decrease in battery/power usage

primarily looking at laptops/tablet these can idle on one charge for 10 days apparently

That is definitely a big deal indeed, though I think I was just hoping for a much larger jump then 5-15%. Though looking at the previous Sandy > Ivy I should have known what to expect.
09:26pm 02/06/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2905 posts
i doubt i'll rush out and buy one unless this one fails

it's interesting to see how they're putting moore's law into business as the foundation of almost everything, and to wonder that when the next tick to 14nm has to happen, does all that equipment get replaced with newer more precision technology to build out those ic's or just changed at the part of the fabrication stage?

a link and a video for a reminder of how complicated the process of making these is

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/06/10/how-to-make-a-cpu-from-sand-to-shelf/1

09:49pm 02/06/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1929 posts
The power saving tech is great for portables obviously.However see what happened when AMD stopped being serious competition? Just micro-iterations to the Intel desktop chips. Despite the fact that I generally like Intel's products (they have exceptionally good QA), monopolies are definitely bad in any industry.Here's hoping ARM (or ARM licensees) try to break into the desktop/server market to rebalance things. EDIT: looks like they are.

What happened to AMD? Have they stopped making processors?
10:49am 03/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:49am 03/06/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.