The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
Recommend me a mouse
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10604 posts
I'm wanting a new mouse. Here's been my mouse journey so far:

After years of crappy mice, I got the best mouse i'd ever held:
http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/280/056/62/new-microsoft-9-pin-serial-mouse-ibm-pc-xt-no-germs-nib-765e.JPG
Yes, serial and all. I later had the PS/2 version. Then later the scroll version.

Then I upgraded to the intellimouse optical
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mmfaYTTCro6djQbKSC7Qxug.jpgand then later to the forward/back side keys and then the black version of the same.

Now i'm looking for a wireless mouse. My experience of wireless mice to date has been twofold - Microsoft wireless mice which are the right size (12cm long or so), the right weight, but have had a massive receiver and been rather inaccurate.
Also, I've had logitech wireless mice. Tiny little 9cm things, you have to 'claw' them to work with them, which is very much not my style. I thought when I went to the first Microsoft serial ergonomic mouse in about 1994 that clawing was a thing of the past.

Now, essentially, i'm looking for a good mouse. I don't want some $200 razer mouse that looks like batman's tumbler, I just want some kind of responsive, accurate mouse of a decent size (full hand) and decent weight, with a small receiver and a small price. Do you have any recommendations?
02:35pm 02/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:35pm 02/06/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10040 posts
I look at mice like a child looks at their favourite toy.

Currently sporting a lower end MS Optical s******.. though I'm religious about cleaning my desk so the unit is as responsive today as it was when I first pulled it out of its cheapy oem plastic wrapping.

again.. the condition of the desk surface.

and here we thought we were talking about expensive mice.

( *EDIT* I did goto a lan last night and took a mousepad out of the work vehicle, unwrapped it and laid that sucker down - lan surfaces (trestle tables) can be dodgy.. )
02:50pm 02/06/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
20005 posts
you can get all number of pro-gamer mice for under $40. i suggest buying one of each.
02:56pm 02/06/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11271 posts
as an old microsoft mouse guy I've found that I've adapted to the large logitech G9 no problem

You missed a good thread recently perhaps where DeadlyDavo posted a chart of good gaming mice http://qgl.ausforums.com/index.php/439207/?agn=thread&id=3304893

Note the intellimouse explorer 3.0 is among the best, and there are ones by Steelseries and Logitech that are comparable in shape, but there is only one wireless mouse listed there.
03:00pm 02/06/13 Permalink
WetWired
Brisbane, Queensland
6183 posts
I've tried buying one of those fancy logitech jobs but it's not sitting on a drawer in favour of a bare bones OEM Microsoft Intellimouse.

My reasoning was more to do with using Maya though, the clunky shape of the logitech made it really painful to use for extended periods with lots of gestures\motions
03:43pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13991 posts
MS Compact Optical 500.
04:02pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21916 posts
I have a performance mx mouse. Apparently crap for games because it's low resolution but I've had no issues with it. Responds fast, doesn't glitch.

Note the intellimouse explorer 3.0 is among the best, and there are ones by Steelseries and Logitech that are comparable in shape, but there is only one wireless mouse listed there.
I loved the intellimouse v3 so much I bought 3 of them at once. Used them all until they all eventually carked it in one way or another. Best mouse ever made IMHO. Comfy, responsive, buttons aren't in stupid locations.
04:09pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7885 posts
I still go out of my way to buy Logitech MX500s/510s. They all fail the same way - the cable really close to the end of the mouse - but otherwise they're still the best mice I've used since the Intellimouse Explorer 1.0 - which had a similar problem but you could fix by opening it up and shortening the cable.
07:02pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21919 posts
so can you fix the mx500 the same way? Also where do you get replacement feet for logitech mice? Do you have to buy them direct from logitech?
07:10pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6886 posts
Also where do you get replacement feet for logitech mice?
http://www.hyperglide.net/
07:42pm 02/06/13 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2982 posts
get a good mousepad while you're at it! still using my func pad of 10 years, still so good. (yes it can be washed)
08:13pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21920 posts
doesn't list my mouse
08:16pm 02/06/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1928 posts
Logitech g700. The end.
08:39pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
835 posts
G700 crapped out on me, and after some research it's a common problem. Click and hold with the right mouse button will release even when you don't actually release it.

I went logitech again tho just cause I like the g9x shape so much. I really don't mind wires. After having a wireless for a while it was easy going back.
10:14pm 03/06/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1242 posts
My G700's scroll wheel does not seem to work right so I'm back on my G500. I would recommend the G500. I too do not like tiny mice meant for children either. If you hurry to your local EB you can pick one up on special for $68. https://ebgames.com.au/pc-159407-Logitech-G500-Gaming-Mouse-PC

The logitechshop has a G300 for $25 delivered. http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-gaming-mouse-g300-delivered.html

That is all I can recommend at this time.
08:39am 04/06/13 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1933 posts
G700 crapped out on me, and after some research it's a common problem. Click and hold with the right mouse button will release even when you don't actually release it.I went logitech again tho just cause I like the g9x shape so much. I really don't mind wires. After having a wireless for a while it was easy going back.

It's somewhat common. I got mine replaced for nothing and over a year on it's still going fine. I have long fingers so this is the first mouse in a very, very long time that's been comfortable for me to use for extended periods of gaming. Plus all the buttons get used for my gaming sessions too.

I'll defs get another one once this one dies.

The scroll wheel on the G700 can go from free spinny to clicky spin (if that makes any sense) by pressing the button above the G11 button
12:41pm 04/06/13 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10671 posts
Ended up getting myself a Gigabyte Eco600
$26 from MSY
not bad. accurate, glides well, small receiver. Still could be bigger, despite how big it is.
8/10 would recommend.
http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2011/04/Gigabyte-ECO600-Wireless-laser-mouse-1.jpg
04:59pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7799 posts
+1 g700
05:06pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22089 posts
I recently got a G500, bit too small and slippery. The side is textured but it's not rubber.
05:24pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4473 posts
Razor Taipan

Need i say more
07:37pm 23/08/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4173 posts
i'm using a razor imperator cost me nothing, and has been a great mouse
08:00pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Tyoson
Perth, Western Australia
64 posts
I had a razor naga. After a year of use the left click was stuffed. Single click would double click. Bought a g400. Had it for about a year now, very responsive, comfortable in my hand, no issues so far.
08:51pm 23/08/13 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2545 posts
I decided to break out from the usual brands and try one of these a while back.

Buttons felt a bit wonky at first but after a week or so of wear in it's a great mouse. Cheap too.
08:55pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
1414 posts
Love my Logitech Performance M950. I now have 3 of them. Desktop PC, laptop and one for work.
09:54pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2465 posts
I have this bad boy. 5600dpi and just great. I have had load of different mice and as a heavy FPS gamer this is just a rocking beast. The only thing that pisses me off about it is that it does not quite extend enough for me ( i have mega hands) but thats no deal breaker.

This is not a mouse for everyone but i find it comfortable and no wrist pain even after 6+ hours of continuous use.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/03/videogames/aplus/B0098W4ZD4/MCB4370500B2_rat_5_mb_D.jpg
10:25pm 23/08/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2466 posts
Ah i should mention that is a R.A.T. 5.
10:26pm 23/08/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:26pm 23/08/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.