The Elder Scrolls Online journeys back into Skyrim with the latest Chapter - Greymoor. Where eveything both above and below ground, is not what it seems.
The Elder Scrolls Online Greymoor and the Journey Back to Skyrim
We sit down with members of the development team to talk about the past, present, and future of Hearthstone.
Blizzard on Hearthstone’s Massive Year of the Phoenix
After the excellent Resident Evil 2 remake from last year the third game in the series gets a similarly impressive visual makeover.
Resident Evil 3 Review - Action-Packed Remake Falters
We've taken a stab at our 10 best games to play when in the middle of a crisis. From recent hits to gems we keep coming back to.
The Good Place - Finding Your Videogame Comfort Zone
USB overloading or?
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1359 posts
Trying to have plugged in:
G15
G35
Coolermaster Storm mouse
Saitek X52
Microsoft Lifecam VC3000

to the PC at once and all operational (cam used for headtracking i made but even powering 3x LEDs from a separate source isnt enough load reduction).

2x USB 3.0 ports at the back
2x USB 3.0 at front
2x standard front
2x standard back

I've tried just about all combinations of plugging devices into different orders for the above.

I assume its an overloading of the USB controller because after awhile something will shut down. Whether its the Joystick/Throttle power cutting in/out or teamspeak will stop responding/crash.
Then headphones will go and programs which utilise the device that the port has shut down on will stop working.

After a reset/power down all is well, and ll stays well until I try to power them all up at once (WarThunder / FSX flying by headtracking).

Is there any way around this issue as all items needs both power and data (except LEDs which I've tried from another power source since that's all they need and makes little to no difference).
Frustrating and renders X52 system rather useless
11:02pm 01/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:02pm 01/06/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11270 posts
tried putting some of the stuff on a powered hub?
I'm thinking power because you're meant to be able to chain like 128 usb devices
11:21pm 01/06/13 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
2353 posts
128 devices you say.
And here I was thinking I was reaching critical mass with 6 ext hdds, keyboard, mouse, webcam, mini hub, card reader and the occasional USB stick.
Time to get me another dozen hard drives and a third monitor.
11:37pm 01/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21915 posts
tried putting some of the stuff on a powered hub?
I'm thinking power because you're meant to be able to chain like 128 usb devices

you might be able to control 128 devices but you're still limited in how much current the motherboard can supply. My PC has special "3x power" USB ports capable of supplying (surprise surprise) 3x the power of a normal USB port. I guess that would be 1500mA? I think normal ports are 500mA.

Maybe turn off any selective USB power saving options. It might not be overloading but just turning off ones it thinks aren't being used (maybe a low polling rate or something).
01:44am 02/06/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1360 posts
It seems to be a power thing given I have caught windows saying the maximum has been exceeded with little popup in corner. It just seems.strange that its not that many devices really. I think the X52 might pull a lot of power.
So powered USB hubs off mains work for data devices linking to PC and is the go you think?
07:37am 02/06/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11272 posts
yeah that's what I meant, I was drunk. Logically it can operate 128 devices, but the power it can supply is the limitation, and different devices draw a different amount of power. I have a USB DVD player that has to be plugged into two separate USB controllers to get enough power, so technically in that scenario I can only plug in half a USB device.

Here is the whole story:
A USB host can support up to 127 devices in a "tiered star" formation, but you can run out of bandwidth if you use too many of them at once. Running a video while writing to both drives could be a challenge, for example. You can also run out of power: a USB device can request up to 500mA, but a non-powered hub can only supply 400mA to be shared between four devices. Using powered hubs usually avoids problems. USB devices don't speak unless spoken to, so it shouldn't matter how many you have connected but idle, as long as each one has its own 7-bit address.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/askjack/2008/mar/20/howmanydevicescanihavein

If the powered hub doesn't help then I guess bandwidth is the issue and you'll need a new usb card or different mobo to add more USB support.
03:17pm 02/06/13 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10045 posts
from what you describe - I'd think it was a problem with the m/board.

I'd need to have another spare and all your devices handy to pull the issue apart to be sure however.

just one malfunctioning USB device with effect all the others on the same USB controller... many variables to work through there to get to the source of the issue..

more resources required to solve your problem than available here online..
03:31pm 02/06/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6603 posts
You can buy USB3.0 cards cheap for a pcie lane. Works pretty well, on my usb3.0 hdd caddy i was getting transfer speeds of 80mb/s for a few hundred gb when i tested.

It's powered by an old pata power cable on top of the pcie power. Kind of cute. Powered hubs are cheap and a good way to avoid power issues.

Usually windows will complain though if you're drawing more than the mobo can offer.
03:32pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13992 posts
It seems to be a power thing given I have caught windows saying the maximum has been exceeded with little popup in corner. It just seems.strange that its not that many devices really. I think the X52 might pull a lot of power.
So powered USB hubs off mains work for data devices linking to PC and is the go you think?

By X52 you mean this thing?

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52pro.html

I can't imagine why it would pull a lot of power ;)
04:09pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21917 posts
It seems to be a power thing given I have caught windows saying the maximum has been exceeded with little popup in corner.
Why didn't you just put that in the OP. Yeah, go get a powered USB hub.
04:12pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
1361 posts
Hub didn't do the trick entirely.
Seems that the issue was a shorting ground wire i think.
Pulled off the base and just checked as much wiring as i could and give all ground wires a bit of a pressing to their solder joins just incase.
Hasn't played up since.
Oh well, no harm having a powered hub anyway, few extra usb slots at least and I feel more comfortable having my home-made headtracker plugged into the hub than directly into my usb ports :)
11:45pm 02/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21921 posts
oh so it was the thing you put together yourself that shorted out? Been there, done that. Filled my lounge / dinding room (open plan house) with smoke after my 2 line LCD panel thing shorted out. Melted a few wires. Good times. Good times.

(it was powered by the 5v rail in the PC)
12:26am 03/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:26am 03/06/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.