The next-generation of videogame graphics will be defined by real-time ray-tracing. From Cyberpunk 2077 to Dying Light 2, we go through the ray-traced games on the horizon.
Real-Time Ray-Tracing and The Next-Gen Games We’ll Play
Hideo Kojima's latest looks wonderful running on a modern PC rig, and it's still as weird and strange and alluring as ever.
Death Stranding on PC - A Stunning Odyssey by the Oddity
From mash-up to sampling to festival culture and dance music, Harmonix’s latest puts player choice and expression front-and-centre.
FUSER - Harmonix Sets its Sights on Festival Lights
The latest June 2020 quarterly update on Diablo IV is a treasure trove of new info, so let’s break it down.
Diablo 4 Update – Open World, Events, Legendary Gear, and More
Need recommendation for budget graphics card :(
straw hat hippie
Brisbane, Queensland
381 posts
Hello,

My geforce GTX 570 just kicked the bucket (confirmed after extensive testing). I need a graphics card in the interim to play dota 2 while I try to get Nvidia to replace my card under warranty (I am a lazy man and will take ages to get this card to Nvidia / probably never will).

My specs are:
Processor: Core I5-2500K CPU @ 3.3 GHZ
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68XP-D3

I am looking to get a card for under 100 quid (150 AUD) and a lot of cards with higher numbers (6 series) seem to be cheaper than a straight replacement for my 570 so I turn to you guys to end my confusion!
Any help and the king of the north will shower u in riches (I currently live in england so i can talk to him personally).
thanks xoxoxo
06:53am 29/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:53am 29/04/13 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
7852 posts
GTX650s fall within that budget.
07:39am 29/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
719 posts
GTX650s fall within that budget.

I'd suggest a 650 Ti (not the normal version) as you get a bit more power and still for under budget.

I can see one selling for $139 from PC Case Gear with an after-market cooler on it, so chances are you'd get one even cheaper in Pommie-ville.

Though honestly, you could probably just keep the money, wait for next pay-check and buy a 660 Ti for twice that :P

Probably save you the extra just in lower power costs over the life of the upgrade lol.
08:22am 29/04/13 Permalink
Jboy
Other International
26 posts
I second the 650ti however if you can wait a little longer I'd suggest a 660 or 660ti they cost more but they'll serve you better in the long run, always considering those heavy graphic games being released today.

If it's just for DoTA 2 then I guess the 650ti will do. :-)
09:59am 29/04/13 Permalink
Morgan
Brisbane, Queensland
3829 posts
Not sure how graphic intensive DOTA 2 is but could you run it on low settings with the intel HD 3000 graphics on your CPU/MOBO?

Also, if you get a second hand GTX570, you can run both in SLI when you get your other one back (although i'm not really a fan of SLI).

Anyone know how the ATI 7770 stacks up against the GTX 650?
10:23am 29/04/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10348 posts
01:49pm 29/04/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19828 posts
i have GTX 570 thats come back from warranty at MSY Morningside. I ended up buying a better card. You can pick it up if you want and use it till yours comes back from warranty.
01:56pm 29/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
722 posts
Any help and the king of the north will shower u in riches (I currently live in england so i can talk to him personally).
i have GTX 570 thats come back from warranty at MSY Morningside. I ended up buying a better card. You can pick it up if you want and use it till yours comes back from warranty.

Not sure he can take you up on that offer :P
03:15pm 29/04/13 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3911 posts
Give me your credit card number and I'll muster up some frequent flyer points so you can fly cheap :-)
03:38pm 29/04/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
19830 posts
Not sure he can take you up on that offer :P

i saw his location as Brisbane. My bad.
05:34pm 29/04/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6337 posts
im getting good performance from ati 7790's about $150 at umart
10:19pm 29/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21771 posts
While we're on the subject, would anything give much of an improvement over 570OC's? I've got 2 in SLI and for the most part they run well but some of the more recent games tend to chug a little on max / ultra.
11:45pm 29/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
725 posts
While we're on the subject, would anything give much of an improvement over 570OC's? I've got 2 in SLI and for the most part they run well but some of the more recent games tend to chug a little on max / ultra.

That's probably more just an issue with SLi support.

I've had not much trouble with my single 580 (And from what I've seen, 2x 570's should blow my 580 out of the water). It's possible (without knowing your specs) that it's just far more common for games to be CPU limited these days (quite a lot of games bottleneck on CPU now as our GPU's are far in excess of what most console ports need).

I would have thought 2x 570's running properly shouldn't have too much issue with anything these days. I suppose the usual:

Download and run gamebooster / close down all your background apps, try new drivers, etc.

If all else fails try an OC on your CPU to get less chug.
12:37am 30/04/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21774 posts
CPU is an i7 2700k @ 4.2(ish) ghz, was running at 4.5 but one day it refused to boot so I reset, never bothered re-upping it.

The other reason is a mate was after a video card for cheap so I was just wondering if it was worth selling him one of mine and I get something newer "for the long run". Also 2 cards are rather power hungry so was hoping there might be a single card solution by now :)
12:52am 30/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
726 posts
CPU is an i7 2700k @ 4.2(ish) ghz, was running at 4.5 but one day it refused to boot so I reset, never bothered re-upping it.The other reason is a mate was after a video card for cheap so I was just wondering if it was worth selling him one of mine and I get something newer "for the long run". Also 2 cards are rather power hungry so was hoping there might be a single card solution by now :)

Sounds like it ain't a CPU issue then lol.

It's probably just poor SLi support. Lots of bad / mediocre ports lately.

If you were going to do that, I'd recommend having a look at the 660ti or 670. Both cards should run fine with your current set up and give you a good boost in everything without having to faff about with SLi support / profiles. You also shouldn't have micro-stutter that is apparently a thing with SLi (Never done it myself, so havn't really known about it).

They're more powerful than my card, support DX11 better and should last you into the next console gen easily. All else fails, you can probably just SLi the 660ti's with the same setup down the line.

I would suggest Radeon alternatives but honestly, I've never had anything but issues with them in my exp, so you'd have to ask someone else about equivalences etc.

The 6xx series is really nice in terms of power consumption, I think a 680 draws like 50-100w less than my 580 does. I'm almost considering flogging my 580 off and buying a 670 myself after doing a bit of looking around recently :P
02:48am 30/04/13 Permalink
straw hat hippie
Brisbane, Queensland
382 posts
Thank u kind sirs this is quite a lovely forum! Putting a GTX 650 TI on order now!
06:25am 30/04/13 Permalink
straw hat hippie
Brisbane, Queensland
383 posts
May as well ask. My mobo has no onboard graphics / only connection to it is through my current graphics card (the GTX 570 works with drivers disabled, blue screens when they are enabled). When I install this new one, are there any tricks to it or will it just load in low res type deal then just download the drivers? I am lazy so prefer not to format.
06:34am 30/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6520 posts
No need for format lol. Drivers will make the new card work. If you look in c:\NVIDIA you will actually probably already find the correct driver installer. nvidia never cleans up after itself when it extracts it's 200mb monster of a driver into your root drive. Just browse and run c:\nvidia\displaydriver\XXX.XX\Win8_winvista_win7_64\english\setup.exe

So far i've got 6 versions of the nvidia driver on my workstation! Wow. It's a bloated pos. Either way, it's because it's bloated that it'll serve you because it's a unified driver for all their desktop cards. If you've got at least a 300 series driver (eg 314.xx) then you'll find it's new enough to include the drivers for your new card.
09:46am 30/04/13 Permalink
WirlWind
729 posts
May as well ask. My mobo has no onboard graphics / only connection to it is through my current graphics card (the GTX 570 works with drivers disabled, blue screens when they are enabled). When I install this new one, are there any tricks to it or will it just load in low res type deal then just download the drivers? I am lazy so prefer not to format.

My suggestion is to find a nifty little utility called "Driver Sweeper".

Run it once and uninstall / restart before you install the next set of drivers. It should clean up anything that can cause driver issues and it's pretty easy to use (just uninstall Nvidia graphics drivers, hit clean, then reboot when it prompts).

I'd suggest getting the latest drivers rather than using ones already on the disk like skythra mentioned, you're more likely to get a bunch of useful tweaks for more modern games with a newer driver set. Some drivers can give like 50% extra performance in certain games for instance (There was a big Skyrim one that had a massive impact like that for example).
10:22am 30/04/13 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
6521 posts
I never recommend driver cleaner utilities. They rarely do more harm than good but when you do do harm, it's a fight through safemode and reinstalls to get the system to stop bluescreening.

If you are scared, nvidia have a checkbox that literally says 'clean install'
http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1408/new_driver3.jpg
10:24am 30/04/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:24am 30/04/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.